Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Road to Moscow AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> After Action Reports >> Road to Moscow AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 4:37:04 PM   
Przemos19

I'm inspired by Juggalo AAR and I will do my best to achieve only 1% of his impressing work.
My AAR will depict the last big push towards Moscow. Force which is given to player is I Panzer Batalion and consists of 1 Panzer IIIH Company, 2 Panzer IIIG Companies and 1 Panzer IVD Company (my favourite).
Game is without special rules, and I play with units mixed (eg 2 PzIIIs and 1 PzIV platoons as a battlegroup), but it depends on actual situation and avaiabality of force.

I hope that there will be much BT7 and T-26 junk, and T-34 as late as possible, if not it would be slaughter (Panzer IIIs can kill T-34 from distance of 1-2 hexes, 3 hexes if very lucky, Panzer IVD 1 hex only, 2 hexes if very lucky).

Ok, let's go to game.
I start from 2nd turn. This is plan for Phase 1 of battle (apx. to turn 8-9).
[image][/image]

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 4:48:57 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 2

Move forward is according to plan, PzII destroyed on left flank 45mm ATG in first salvo (lucky). On right flank Motorcycle Platoons almost entirely destroyed 39'Inf Platoon.
Sdkfz 231 was ambushed by ATR Platoon and suffered loss of one vehicle and disruption. But his comrades in PzIII avenged him and wiped out one ATR Platoon and second suffered loss of 2 SP.
Still waiting for reinforcements to arrive, especialy my precious PzIVD.

Ps I hope that You understand my english, because I'm not native speaker ;)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 2
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 5:04:21 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 3

I was surprised that russian airforce is present - it attacked my Panzer III and destroyed 2 of them. It made me really angry ;] Another unpleasant surprise - enemy's MG platoon destroyd one of SdKfz 231 (attack 2 vs defence 4 - he was very lucky). I also suffered 1SP casualities on Motorcycle platoon. But i still push forward.
Reinforcements have arrived, including 1 Company of PzIVE. Wish me luck ;)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 3
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 5:19:02 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 4

Everything is going according to plan. The fall of Drozdovo is imminent. Russian infantry in Lesochnya sufferd casualities because of motorized infantry and tank fire. Panzer fist is going to Star Lolyanovo at full speed. Resistance expected.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 4
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 5:43:11 PM   
Przemos19

Turn 5

It can be boring, but another successful turn. Drozdovo is captured, russians defending it killed or retreated. Russians became desperate, they assaulted 2 tank platoons and suffered 2SP loss as a result of this foolish attempt to stop Panzers.
Near Star Lolyaono 2 russian platoons dug-in. One of them suffered 1SP loss and retreaded, second one is holding. In village worth 50 VP there was russian infantry HQ and officer, both KIA. I expected more units defending it.
From forest on right flank of highway emerged 1 russian inf platoon, but Mg34 and mortars took care of it.
Another reinforecemts have arrived, includung engineer platoon.

Russians made small counter-attacks - another platoon is heading toward highway, but I have strong units there so I do not worry being cut of from my HQ. Russians have temporarily reoccupied Drozdovo. They artillery missed, but mine scored 1SP of russian mortars.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 5
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 6:01:46 PM   
Przemos19

Turn 6

Drozdovo recaptured, defenders annihilated. Russians left Lesochnya virtualy defensless, leaving only commander there. This was golden oportunity. I assaulted it and captured lone officer. Infantry which left this village moved into defensive position, but after shelling by Pz IVE 75mm guns they suffered 3SP loss and disruption. Other enemy units in this sector are retreating pursued by tanks.
Russian counter-attack into highway was stopped and pushed back one hex, and they suffered casualities of 2SP. The same story was in Star Loluanovo - defenders retreating, suffering casualities and panzers with support of infantry pursuing. Platoon of SdKfz 222 even came near small village Nov.
Unfortunately 3 hexes from Sekh Lenkuno Panzer IIIG was ambushed by ATR and 1 tank must be deleted from list :/

Another russian platoon came out of woods, this time MG Plt and destroyed 75mm howitzers. In other sectors only sporadic enemy fire, with no effect.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 6
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 6:24:59 PM   
Jason Petho

Excellent read so far!

Thank you!
Jason Petho

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 7
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 6:29:16 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 7

The most importat thing - finally russian tanks appeared, T-26C, 1,75km to north from Sekh Lenkuno. Probable tank battle in 2 turns.
Platoon of SdKfz 222 captured Nov, resistance was futile. MG platoon which occupied that vilage suffered 1SP loss and withdrew 2 hexes.
Mopping up near Lesochnya continues. Pz IVE completly destroyed 2 russian half-strenght infantry platoons and moved forward. I intend to kill all enemies there in next turn.
Russians near Rte. 10 are under constant fire, but with no effect.

In russian round, MG plt attacked Nov and destroyd 1 SdKfz 222 stationig there. 1 Infantry Platoon came out of hiding and shot at it my armoured car but with no effect. Those SdKfz's are really cannon fodder. In other sectors only small arms fire but I didn't suffered any casualties.

And here is plan for PHASE 2
In circles there are places where heavy fighting are probable. Fortunately tanks which are free to go after crushing russians in Lesochnya will help to achieve these goal.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 8
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 6:49:52 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 8

Lesochnya secured! Russian MG and mortar platoons suffered both 1SP casualties and retreated into woods. There was also 1 SP4 russian infantry platoon with morale 1. It had this morale for 2 turns, it was fired upon 7 times and NO SP loss. Finaly 1 shot from tank platoon and it was eliminated. End of luck for them. I will leave 1 infantry platoon in case they will change their mind. In Rte. 10 exchande of fire continues, but nothing serious (russian MG suffered 1SP loss).
German Panzers to rescue in Nov. But SdKfz 222 fends off enemy attacks with success and kills 2SP of russian MG. Freed Panzers are very close to Sekh Lenkuno. I intend to send 2 of them into Mikhalevo, while after securing Nov another group will take Mishino. The rest is going to clash with T-26 in hiding to the north. And most probably most of of them will exit map in intended point.

However in russian round those T-26 moved east, but their exact location is unknown. Another desperate attempt to recapture Nov was made by russians - assault against tanks by 1SP MG platoon. Repulsed with ease. In Sekh Lenkuno small arms fire againt armor of tanks, no effect of course.

Ps - I have 500VP now = minor victory. 300 more to Major Victory.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 9
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 7:05:05 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 9

Nihil novi in the east front. Sekh Lenkuno was fired upon to soften defenders but the only efect was disruption. Nov secured for good, russian infantry suffered 3SP loss. It's time to finish them off and move out to Mishino. I pushed recon platoon forward and they found 45mm ATG and ATR. Luckily, no casualties. I moved all tanks from vicinity of Lesochnya to Sekh Lenkuno. I will assault this village in next turn. Small arms fire in Rte. 10 had effect and russians suffered 2SP. Their psychic broke and they run away. But I will leave additional infantry platoon, just in case of sth unexpected.

Russians tried to recapture Drozdovo, but using only 1 platoon with 1SP. After small arms fire retreated knowing that it was foolish attempt. The same history is in Sekh Lenkuno - hopeless fire against tanks. Fotrunately rain of 105mm shells run down on their positions, causing 2SP loss and 1platoon to withdraw. T-26 tanks spotted moving towards Viazma. Ambush probable. I will send SdKfz222 to recon, and take beating.

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 10
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 7:16:57 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 10

Sekh Lenkuno in german hands, at last. Tanks from Nov are crawling through woods. Single SdKfz 231 destroyed 2SP of 45mm ATG, while Panzer IIF annihilated ATR platoon. I packed engineers and Motorcycle Platoon and rushed them to front line. Offensive on all fronts!

Russian air force still present, destroyed 6SP of motorcycles. Remnants of their land forces do literaly nothing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 11
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 7:32:07 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 11

Force from Nov was continuing move toward Mishino, similar situaton was with Mikhalevo.
In Sekh Lenkuno I caused 3SP loss of russian infantry. Next turn they will be completely wiped out. To the north from there, on highway, there was tank battle. No german casualties, 3 T-26 are burning hulks. Air support was called for.

In russian turn they responded with tank fire, destroying 1 SdKfz222 and thet missed PzIVE. Russian tank commander also made decision to assault SdKfz222 but achieved retreat only. Strange decision in my opinion. However my Ju-87 attacked these foolish tanks and destroyed all of them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 12
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 7:42:46 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 12

I took control of Mikhalevo by assault. Defenders surrendered. In vicinity of Mishino 3 platoons of enemy infantry deteced. I will send tanks grom Mikhalevo to encircle them. Russian T-26 retreated towards map exit and are waiting there for me.
Worth noting is small action of 2 russian platoons with 1SP and 3SP strength in Drozdovo. My infantry repulsed attacks and killed 2SP.
Clock is ticking, I must take map exit!

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 13
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 7:45:55 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 13

Situation like in last turn. Russian attacks towards Drozdovo, repulsed. Fighting near Mishino. My artillery shelled this village and caused 1SP loss of russian MG Platoon.
Next turn will be risky move towards map exit.

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 14
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 7:55:55 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 14

Big action. I used my engineer platoon as cannon fodder and they took fire but did not suffer casualities. After them I send Panzer IIIs and IVs and destroyd 12 T-26 nad 2 BA-20 without loss and took Map Exit. It is possible to exit all tanks in that place. So Major Victory almost sure. In another section of front Panzer IIIG destroyed battery of russian 75mm field guns near Anoshino. Then I softened defense in Mishino and in next move I successfuly assulted it by Panzer IVE.

Russian round is not worth mentioning = nothing happened.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 15
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 8:06:36 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 15

Last turn! After destruction of last T-26 in vicinity of Map Exit, all tanks present there successfuly exited map.
In sector of Mishino russian infantry was fired upon and suffered 4SP loss.

Russians did not try do do something reasonable, because they did not have enough troops to do anything. Unfortunately I forgot to to check for enemy casualties. However I remeber some of them from earlier checking: (so these are minimal russian casualities)

2 BA-20
18 T-26
3 Commanders
4 HQ (Infantry)
6 Wagons
1 HQ (motorized)
12 MG 39'
27 Infantry 39'
4 45 ATG
16 ATR
1 82mm Mortar

And here are results of battle:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Przemos19 -- 3/2/2008 8:12:00 PM >

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 16
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 8:24:33 PM   
Przemos19

BATTLE 2
TURN 1

After initial success I am to drive my panzer battalion to east. It started to rain. All roads all full of retreating enemy. My task is to stop them and do not let them to halt my advance.
Unfortunately I received no reinforcements (I suffered 2 PzIIIH and 1 PzIIIG loss).

I started turn by assaulting and capturing 12 wagons. Unfortunately I lost 1 SdKfz222 - it was ambusher by BA-20 (lucky shot in my opinion).

I have to collect 1000VP for Major Victory and 600 for Minor Victory. It will be tough nut to crack.

Here is plan for my advance in PHASE 1. As You see, it is essential that I will block Map Exit points or suffer defeat:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 17
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 8:39:35 PM   
Przemos19

TURN 2

In western sector of advance bittersweet situation. I destroyed 2 BA-20 by point-blank fire from Panzer III. Next 12 Trucks, 6 wagons ans 4 76mm Infantry Guns were captured by assaults. Accurate artillery fire caused 3SP loss of russian infantry in eastern sector od advance. My enemy suffered 3SP ATR loss due to tank fire.
Unfortunately, my Panzer IIF found itself on minefield when they lost one vehicle. Another PzII was lost due to MG platoon fire (another one with 2 attack vs 4 defence - sth strange).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 18
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/2/2008 10:21:24 PM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

I'm inspired by Juggalo AAR and I will do my best to achieve only 1% of his impressing work.

Thank you...you're too kind...

Now if Civ IV would just let me go maybe I could update it...

Good luck!
Onward to Moska!

"If you want peace, prepare for war."

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 19
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/5/2008 4:38:05 AM   
Arctic Blast

Excellent AAR so far. Keep up the good work!

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 20
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 3/9/2008 2:07:07 PM   
Przemos19

Almost a week has passed since I have last played EF. During this time I have bought a new LCD and now i really feel the game ;)

TURN 3

My force on the right wing has captured Lyado, defeders were annihilated in the process. However platoon of PzIII was ambushed by T-26C in neighbouring woods. But russian greens didn't score a hit and because of heavy fire my platoon withdrew without the loss (maybe the honour was lost).
On the left wing most of the defenders of improved position near Yatishevo were destroyed. Once again one of my platoons - this time Panzer II, went to far, to quick. And lost 1 tanks due to T-26C fire. It disrupted it too. Unfotrunately they did not withdraw - another losses are expected.
Reinforcements have arrived, 2 motorised companies.

Russians in their round destroyed 2 Panzer II of abovementioned unfortunate platoon. Another one SdKfz222 was destroyed by hidden 45mm ATG. They attepted futile assault on Panzers using infantry, repulsed with ease.

My artillery plastered russian improved possitions killing 1SP of infantry.

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 21
RE: Road to Moscow AAR - 7/12/2008 6:28:45 AM   
general_solomon

great AAR.  I having a lot of fun with all the screens. 

keep up the good work.  looking forward to your future AAR's.

(in reply to Przemos19)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> After Action Reports >> Road to Moscow AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI