Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reduced squads

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Reduced squads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reduced squads - 9/24/2000 11:49:00 PM   
Fuerte

"Reduced squads" option in 4.0 is buggy, it adds men to saved games and ready made scenarios. Wild Bill said that it is fixed in 4.1, but I began to wonder if there really is any case where it can work reliably. I think that reduced squads option should have effect only in campaigns where you buy your own units, but even in these campaigns there can be units, which the campaign designer has carefully selected. So if the units which I buy are reduced, so the computer units should be reduced as well, and also the units selected by the designer (which I don't have to buy). And this can cause some unwanted results. So I have begun to think that this option should always be kept off. The original idea behind this option is to add some realism, because seldom all men are available in the front. But I don't think that this added realism is worth all these problems. What do you think?

Post #: 1
- 9/25/2000 8:37:00 PM   
Charles22

Fuerte: I've beenplaying awhile and though I could be wrong I think the computer is also having to face reduced squads when you pick that option. Do you recall that on V2.3 how squads almost never were destroyed until the last man? Well, I think they've adjusted that a bit, but in any case, I've seen plenty of enemy squads who are destroyed after only 8 are accounted for. I suppose the sure-fire way to find out, would be to start a battle and surrender, thereby getting a peek at the enemy forces before any have casualties inflicted and check those squad sizes.

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 2
- 9/26/2000 2:37:00 AM   
Fuerte

The 4.1 manual answers this question: "This setting has no effect on predesigned scenarios or campaigns" And: "If a scenario designer wishes the squads to be "under strength", they should set the Reduced Squads setting on when they purchase the units, and the men in each unit will be reduced at that time." Great! So this option has effect ONLY in computer generated scenarios and campaigns. This seems to be the right decision.

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Reduced squads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI