Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Operation Chicken Hawk Successful

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Chicken Hawk Successful Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Operation Chicken Hawk Successful - 4/26/2009 3:09:50 AM   
vettim89

The first strike. I was messig around with a stock game and buggered my art work - fixing it now

Attachment (1)

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 751
RE: Operation Chicken Hawk Successful - 4/26/2009 3:10:36 AM   
vettim89

The second strike on the US CVTF

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 752
RE: Operation Chicken Hawk Successful - 4/26/2009 7:05:40 AM   
vettim89

In the last eight days the Japanese have lost at least 777 a/c. Most of those were first line fighters. My losses were about 100. That should disipate the force for a while

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 753
Kamikaze Success - 4/26/2009 6:44:50 PM   
vettim89

22 February 1944

Larry moved his airpower back to Kendari which is still at 21% damaged. Two Kamikaze missions flew. The first one hit the SCTF off Maumere. Three USN CA's were hit but only one even moderately - Indianoplis is at 19 SYST, 0 FLOT, and 10 Fire. She will likely be repaired in theatre. The second strike hit the barge TF west of Lautem and sank a LCVP - that has got to drive Larry nuts. AIr losses on the day were 168 to 20. Larry has got to be feeling the losses now as he has lost nearly 1000 a/c in the last nine days.

Other notable actions today:

* Maumere goes to level 1 AB. Hallelujah! AV support being flown in. Fighters will be flying in two days.
* A US fleet boat is hit off the Mariana again
* A US fleet boat hits an AK north of Pagan
* A US fleet boat hits an AK in the Makassar Strait
* AVG sweep yields 25 fighters lost to no P-38 losses
* Troops load at Trico for Padang. That operation should go tomorrow.
* Japanese troops arrive at Yenen and Bombard
* CV Bunker Hill remains at 7 SYST

Thoughts:

I need to get the Centpac offensive going but with the Kamikazes, I really feel I need more CV support. Bunker Hill's repair issues are getting to me. As Larry has again loaded another Atoll up with troops, Marcus is going to be tough. Of note, we have a 30 k troops limit on Atolls. This is the third time Larry has exceeded that numer by about 10% - 33 k there now. I am not going to make an issue of this but it does weigh on me. With Kakikazes in play I feel I must take Marcus to make sure my SLOC are clear.

I was planning on going to Macassar through the back door at Pinrang. This will expose me to a couple more days of Kakikaze attacks and it is at extreme range of my LBA fighters. I may just bull my way into Makassar instead. Kendari was going to be bypassed but todays actions may tell me I need to rethink that. I hate to have to devote my 4E to suppressing that AB all the time. There are 52 K troops there. Have to contemplate this one

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 754
RE: Kamikaze Success - 4/26/2009 7:04:34 PM   
ny59giants

What about taking Raba??
What size AF is there and what potential does it have??
It may cause him to think you are headed for Java while you use it just to anchor your flank and further cut off Koepang.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 755
RE: Kamikaze Success - 4/26/2009 8:43:32 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

What about taking Raba??
What size AF is there and what potential does it have??
It may cause him to think you are headed for Java while you use it just to anchor your flank and further cut off Koepang.

Raba ia a SPS AB as are all other AB along that axis until you get to Bali which is currently 3(1). As that seems a stretch right now and would divert me from my true goal which is to isolate all the oil/resources in the SRA, I will hold off.

23 February 1944

The Japanese pull back once again. How quickly can Larry replace 1000 airframes? What about the pilots. Maumere jumped to level 2 AB in a day! There are now about 75 fighters there and that number is climbing. The US CV's may pull back soon. I think I have some AO's at Darwin. I might load them up and move them to Lautem to replenish the CVTF. Indianapolis is at 21 SYST damage and the fires are out. SHe is heading back to Darwin. PT's now at Maumere to discourage any SCTF hijinx.

Other notable action today:

* I-18 was trying to sneak up on the CVTF. She is hit and sunk by a SB2C
* Japanese hit ground troops out of Hankow but lose 9 Ki-61 KAIb Tony
* LBA hits Hong Kong's port scoring hits on 3 AP and a PC
* AVG raids Kompang Som and destoys 1 Ki-61 KAIc Tony
* Japanese Bombard Yenen. Base AV is 1459 to 983 in favor of IJA. Level 9 forts are present.

I almost forgot the inf BGD's for the Padang Op - they are loading now. TF depart next turn

Edit: I forgot to mention that I realized some more fighters in the SRA might be helpful. I used some PP and bought off about 200 from SoPac and Centpac to send down there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vettim89 -- 4/26/2009 9:02:34 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 756
RE: Kamikaze Success - 4/29/2009 1:51:32 AM   
vettim89

24-27 February 1944

After a freetic pace for 10 solid days that saw the Japnese lose 1000 airframes, things have slowed. Highlights of three days of action:

* US fleet sub attacks a lone AK in the Java Sea twice puts 4 TT ito her and she sinks
* LBA out of China sink an AK at Hong Kong
* CV Bunker Hill falls to SYST 5 - finally
* The Huge covoy with 47 k of support troops will arrive at Darwin in two turns
* The Padang TF are now about ten days out.
* LST are split off the Maumere force and set back to Darwin. The will load up three ARM uits for Makassar
* US CV's are heading Darwin as Lautem is not a big enough port yet to replenish sorties.
* SS Sea Dragon is attacked five times in one turn by ASW TF off Saipan for .......... no hits!!!!!

Fortunately the ARM BTN's will load in a day. Still haven't decided if I am goig for Makassar or Pinrag. Advatages and disadvantages to both. If I time this right the Padag Op and Makassar Op will hit simultaneously. Larry will have to pick his poison. Now if BH would just rep up, I'll hit the CentPac too.

Had to include the scree shot of possibly the oddest TF itel you'll ever see.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 757
Opinions Anyone? - 4/29/2009 7:11:49 PM   
vettim89

28 February 1944

Just waiting for various convoys to arrive:

* LST two days out of Darwin to pick up Armor and an HQ for Makassar
* First convoy arrives Darwin with 4 CB and a MAW
* Large convoy with 47 k support troops arrives Darwin in two days
* Padang Convoy now nine days out and will likely be spotted by recon a/c out of Sabang next turn. Larry will have to guess where they are going though

Other news:

* SS Tang sneaks into Saipan harbor, torpedos and sinks an AP with the 24th AV RGT aboard
* LBA hits the mysterious TF at Hong Kong and mauls two patrol craft and an AP. Larry's shipping losses have really picked up of late
* CV Bunker Hill falls to SYST 4!!!!

An epiphany:

As I have played this game I have pretty much stayed within the historical operational philosophy of a CentPac driven cross ocean assault on the Japanese inner perimeter. Our game has certainly followed an ahistoric line with the major battles of 1943 being in SEAC, Gilberts/Marshalls, and the SE SRA. I have diverted a lot of resources in those directions as that is where the fight was coming to me. Of late I have been trying to put the pieces in place for a Marianas drive. The two reasons for that being to acquire bases for B-29's and to an extent follow the next logical step of progression especially as it applies to history. Then it occured to me that I was too rigid in my thinking. I have found a weak point in the defenses in the SRA. Why not exploit it? I have so much lift at PH sitting there waiting for the CentPac offensive to get enough CV's to cover it. Why not take what Larry is giving me? The mere presence of the US bases and US capabilities is probably enough to deter Larry from weakening the CentPac too much. I am considering two lines of approach:

A. Move as much of CentPac/SoPac forces into the Darwin area as possible and move aggresively forward as indicated on the attached map. Drive hard through western NG and the Celebes and possibly into Mindano

B. Move SoPac Units into the SRA follwing the indicated path at a slower pace while Centpac clears the Carolines and NW NG. This would allow a shortenig of SLOC. I would still have to swing south around the Marianas

While this is ongoing (whichever route), SWPac continues to advance through Borneo. With these goals accomplished, I could take my ever growing strength either NW into Malaya and Indochina or North into the PI and eventually Formosa. As to the SilverBees, they can reduce Oil and resources in SEASIA and conduct counter air ops. If I make Formosa, I can hit Japan from there. To be honest, strategic bombing is not really consistant with my plans other than to accumulate points. I plan to starve Japanese industry rather than destroy it. I would really like to hear peoples opinions on these thoughts

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 758
RE: Opinions Anyone? - 4/29/2009 8:29:46 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

I am considering two lines of approach:

A. Move as much of CentPac/SoPac forces into the Darwin area as possible and move aggresively forward as indicated on the attached map. Drive hard through western NG and the Celebes and possibly into Mindano

B. Move SoPac Units into the SRA follwing the indicated path at a slower pace while Centpac clears the Carolines and NW NG. This would allow a shortenig of SLOC. I would still have to swing south around the Marianas

While this is ongoing (whichever route), SWPac continues to advance through Borneo. With these goals accomplished, I could take my ever growing strength either NW into Malaya and Indochina or North into the PI and eventually Formosa. As to the SilverBees, they can reduce Oil and resources in SEASIA and conduct counter air ops. If I make Formosa, I can hit Japan from there. To be honest, strategic bombing is not really consistant with my plans other than to accumulate points. I plan to starve Japanese industry rather than destroy it.

It seems to this humble observer that choice B will get you to more valuable resource areas and sooner. Either way, however, Kendari will be a key base. Historically, the U.S. was able to neutralize and bypass the huge bases as Truk and Rabaul by establishing convoy lanes to the north. Bypassing Kendari would be much more difficult: there's not as much ocean to maneuver with. At the minimum, Kendari's ability to host Betty squadrons must be neutralized.

2000th post!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 759
RE: Opinions Anyone? - 4/30/2009 3:29:29 AM   
vettim89

March 1 1944

We lose a day. Seems the game engine decided it would take 29 February 1944 off. I guess I can understand why as it would mess up a lot. Still seems odd to just skip past it.

Japanese MS is hit this turn. USS Guardfish hits two separate large TK off Brunei. She is out of torps and a bit dinged; so, home she goes. I vector in five US fleet boats in the SCS to try to get the stragglers. An AK and an AP are hit at Hong Kong. Bunker Hill falls to 3 SYST. Americal Div is loading at Townsville for lift to Darwin. A huge Convoy with 500 k supply is loading at SF. My only concern right now is fuel. I have a lot moving SW but TK are scarce compared to AK. Padang force is 6 hexes NW of Sorong and has not been spotted

I considered my previous post and decided that everything presetly labled SOPAC is heading to Darwin. Thats three ID, a Cav RGT, a RCT, 2 ARM BT, three CBT ENG BTN, two ART BTN, a HQ, and an air HQ leaving PH. In addition, three HQ, two ARTY BTN, two EAB, and three CB depart SF. Centpac units are held in HI for now. I will stew on their fate for a few days.

Capt. Harlock: I looked at the Map and don't think opening a southern arm to the CentPac offensive is the way to go. To accomplish this I would need to take the following bases: Ponape, Truk, Wolei, Admiralties, Wewak, Hollandia, Ulithi, Yap, and Palau. Lae would also have to be taken and possibly Kavieng. That is eight bases for sure and possibly ten. Six of those ten are Atolls and I have had my fill of Atoll combat. Instead, I will use NG as a natural barrier and invade: Babo, Amboina, Sorong, Weda, Manoc, Kendari, Jolo Is, and Zamboanga. Possibly I could add Palau attacking from the SW. That is only one Atoll invasion (possibly) and I will end on the door step to the PI. I think this is the route to go.

< Message edited by vettim89 -- 4/30/2009 5:12:58 AM >

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 760
RE: Opinions Anyone? - 4/30/2009 1:34:13 PM   
vettim89

2 March 1944

Lost my screeie some how but the Padang force is 360 nm WNW of Sabang and not spotted. I estimate ten days. I preparation for their arrival the AVG is stood down in China and the 51st FG is in Burma. These are my most elite P-38 groups with exp in the high 70's or higher. They will transfer into Padang as soon as AV support is unloaded and the AB will hold them.

Makassar invasion has departed and has three ID, 4 ARM RGT/BTN, and an HQ. Dependig on the Japanese response, they may still land at Pirang. I like this idea not only for the lessened disruption of troops as they land but also to seal off the exit from Makassar.

I decided to send a CV and 2 CVL to Darwin along with about 10 CVE. That will leave 2 CV and a CVL at PH plus a CV at SF. All new CV and CVE will go to PH.

On my list of bases in my last psot I failed to include Moratai. The other difference with the Darwin approach is many of those bases are either empty or very lightly held as opposed to the CentPac approach where every one of those bases is held at least moderately.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 761
RE: Opinions Anyone? - 5/1/2009 12:29:02 AM   
vettim89

3 March 1944

Highlights of the day

* US FLeet boat killed by ASW at Saipa - got a little too aggressive here

* LBA hits and sinks an AP at Hong Kong (Larry has lost 277 AP/AK total)

* One of the TK's hit a few days ago by SS Guardfish sinks - thats 28 total for Allies (Japan has lost 57 for the record)

* Japan launches a strike against Maumere AB from Kendari. They lose 10 Tojo 9 Val, 8 A6M3a, and 3 Jack to 1 KittyHawk IV and 1 P-47C and no hits on AB. Kendari's AB will be hit next turn

* The Padang Force is 360 NM WSW of Sabang and still hasn't been spotted

* Makassar force is 180 nm north of Darwin

Author was at grocery today, bought a nice bouquet of tulips for gf (psychochic as I call her), and picked up a double DVD set: Kelly's Heroes and the Dirty Dozen! Gonna call my brother Mikimoto (JFB) and see if we ca have a guy's night tomorrow with beer, Eastwood, and Bronson.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 762
RE: Opinions Anyone? - 5/1/2009 1:14:08 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

I am considering two lines of approach:

While this is ongoing (whichever route), SWPac continues to advance through Borneo. With these goals accomplished, I could take my ever growing strength either NW into Malaya and Indochina or North into the PI and eventually Formosa. As to the SilverBees, they can reduce Oil and resources in SEASIA and conduct counter air ops. If I make Formosa, I can hit Japan from there. To be honest, strategic bombing is not really consistant with my plans other than to accumulate points. I plan to starve Japanese industry rather than destroy it.

It seems to this humble observer that choice B will get you to more valuable resource areas and sooner. Either way, however, Kendari will be a key base. Historically, the U.S. was able to neutralize and bypass the huge bases as Truk and Rabaul by establishing convoy lanes to the north. Bypassing Kendari would be much more difficult: there's not as much ocean to maneuver with. At the minimum, Kendari's ability to host Betty squadrons must be neutralized.

2000th post!

On the other hand, B will probably be the bloodier path to take. If I were in your opponants position I would fight very very hard to keep you out of the SRA due to the resourses there. Personally I'd go with route A, and choke off his lines of communication to the SRA.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 763
RE: Opinions Anyone? - 5/1/2009 4:51:55 AM   
vettim89

4 March 1944

I am commited to focusing solely on clearing the Celebes and Western NG. The Carolines will be too bloody are weaken me unnecessarily. I addition, I would still have to worry about the Marianas. I instead am commited to the approach from the SE. Once CentPac has more strength I may bull my way through Marcus to Iwo Jima and then Okinawa.

Today:

* The Padang force is finally spotted. Just one Emily saw one ship. Hopefully this gives me one more day unmolested. I make landfall about five days out

* Makassar, Ambonia, and Kendari are empty except for search a/c. I will hit these fields in preparation for the Makassar/Pinrang Op. Leaning towards Pinrang now as this op should fall a day or two after Padang force lands.

* CV Bunker Hill is at SYST 1 and headed for PH. I am going to send this CV force raiding once Bunker Hill arrives

* SS Puffer hits an AP off Hong Kong then LBA puts 7 bombs ito same AP.

* Last of the supplies are unloaded at Maumere and TF heads back to Darwin.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 764
RE: Opinions Anyone? - 5/2/2009 12:58:37 AM   
vettim89

5 March 1944

At first I thought it was going to be a rather dull turn. A US fleet boat hit an AK off Tarakan and that was about it util the PM air phase was winding down. Then these strikes came in:

* 3 Judy hit the RN TF's and are wiped
* 16 G4M2 hit the US TF off Lautem and are wiped
* 22 Jack escort 22 Judy at the RN and lose 22 Jack and 19 Judy
* 7 Ki-43 IIIb Oscar escort 13 G4M2 against RN and are wiped. (First time I think I have seen the IIIb Oscar)

No leakers

I lost two Corsair IV. The RN will turn toward Padang next turn. Guess I should name the Padang Op - let's call it Thomas the Tank Engine. Makasser Op is Yosemite Sam

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 765
RE: Opinions Anyone? - 5/3/2009 12:37:16 AM   
vettim89

6 March 1943

Thomas TF's are three days out. They are given a destination of Padang with orders to unload. No opposition this last turn. I checked and both the 51st FG and AVG can transfer in one hop once the base is up to speed.

Yosemite Sam TF are NNW of Lautem. Two weak unescorted G4M2 strikes were wiped. I set these TF's with a destination of Pinrang with orders to unload.

Two fleet boats were hit by LBA off the Marianas. Both sides lost a sub today with I-10 and Bang sinking.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 766
RE: Opinions Anyone? - 5/3/2009 5:43:42 PM   
vettim89

7 March 1944

Big day for air battles. Larry threw the kitche sink at the Thomas TF. Was a little nervous at first, as the TF were split into two hexes, but the Japanese all went for the carriers.

AM Strikes

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 5
G4M2 Betty x 7
P1Y Frances x 6
Ki-21 Sally x 16
Ki-48 Lily x 7
Ki-49 Helen x 3

Allied aircraft
Wildcat V x 14
Corsair IV x 74

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 5 destroyed
G4M2 Betty: 7 destroyed
P1Y Frances: 6 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 14 destroyed
Ki-48 Lily: 7 destroyed
Ki-49 Helen: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Corsair IV: 23 damaged

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 13
Ki-49 Helen x 13

Allied aircraft
Wildcat V x 14
Corsair IV x 74

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar: 8 destroyed
Ki-49 Helen: 13 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Corsair IV: 8 damaged

PM Strikes

Japanese aircraft
J2M Jack x 20
G4M2 Betty x 13
Ki-61 KAIc Tony x 4
Ki-61 KAIb Tony x 13
Ki-21 Sally x 9
Ki-48 Lily x 10
Ki-49 Helen x 6

Allied aircraft
Wildcat V x 14
Corsair IV x 49

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M Jack: 19 destroyed
G4M2 Betty: 9 destroyed
Ki-61 KAIc Tony: 4 destroyed
Ki-61 KAIb Tony: 8 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 9 destroyed
Ki-48 Lily: 10 destroyed
Ki-49 Helen: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Wildcat V: 4 damaged
Corsair IV: 18 damaged

Allied Ships
CV Formidable
CV Victorious
CV Illustrious

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 9000 feet
1 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
3 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Japanese aircraft
J2M Jack x 3
G4M2 Betty x 9
Ki-61 KAIc Tony x 2
Ki-21 Sally x 3
Ki-48 Lily x 6
Ki-49 Helen x 3

Allied aircraft
Wildcat V x 14
Corsair IV x 49

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M Jack: 3 destroyed
G4M2 Betty: 4 destroyed
Ki-61 KAIc Tony: 2 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 3 destroyed
Ki-48 Lily: 6 destroyed
Ki-49 Helen: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Wildcat V: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Corsair IV: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Empire Steelhead

TF will start unloading next turn. The Yosemite Sam force is 180 nm SSE of Makassar. LBA hits Saigon's Port hitting a PG and two AP hard. Slow but steady progress at Ban Don as air strikes and artillery combine for over 400 casualties today. The IJA is losig over 3000 troops here i an average week.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 767
RE: Opinions Anyone? - 5/3/2009 5:44:38 PM   
vettim89

Today's AIr losses

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 768
RE: Opinions Anyone? - 5/3/2009 11:47:03 PM   
vettim89

8 March 1944

Well when I reset the movement orders, the RN CV's headed home instead of following the rest of the TF's. They ended up five hexes north. That problem is remedied and they are sprintig south to be off Padang next turn. This little erro cost me CVE Battler who was set upon by Kamikazes.

Day Air attack on TF, near Padang at 18,51

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 24
D4Y Judy x 3
B6N Jill x 25
G3M Nell x 3
G4M2 Betty x 12
P1Y Frances x 9
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 50
Ki-45 KAIb Nick x 33
Ki-61 KAIb Tony x 35
Ki-21 Sally x 41

Allied aircraft
Wildcat V x 10
Corsair IV x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
D4Y Judy: 1 destroyed
B6N Jill: 1 damaged
G3M Nell: 1 damaged
G4M2 Betty: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
P1Y Frances: 5 damaged
Ki-44-IIb Tojo: 8 destroyed, 3 damaged
Ki-45 KAIb Nick: 3 damaged
Ki-61 KAIb Tony: 12 destroyed, 2 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 25 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Wildcat V: 3 destroyed, 4 damaged
Corsair IV: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
CVE Battler, Bomb hits 10, Kamikaze hits 8, on fire, heavy damage
CVL Hermes, Bomb hits 1, Kamikaze hits 1, on fire
CA Hawkins
CL Kenya
DD Rapid, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CL Glasgow, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

A PM attack did some damage too

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 18
G4M2 Betty x 11
P1Y Frances x 12
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 19
Ki-21 Sally x 3

Allied aircraft
Corsair IV x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 1 destroyed, 7 damaged
P1Y Frances: 9 damaged
Ki-44-IIb Tojo: 1 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Corsair IV: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
TK Harpa, Kamikaze hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Empire Cormorant
CA Sussex
AK Herstein, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CL Newcastle
AK Empire Housman, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Empire Lionel, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Both the US CVTF and the RN CVTF suffered strikes that did not result in any hits. I moved in the 51st FG from Tavoy. They need to stand down one day. I just need to get through one more turn. Good news is the forts are already at level 3. Also, Avenger II hit an APD and an AK at Palembang. So it wasn't a complete waste. Three more days before I hit Pinrang. Even though I lost a CVE, are losses were 109 to 18 today. Still, Larry has got to be happy about this

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 769
RE: Opinions Anyone? - 5/4/2009 2:50:05 AM   
vettim89

9 March 1944

Well this time Hermes TF decided to move. She ended up 3 hexes north and is now trashed. Several cruisers are also hurting. Everybody is heading back to Padang to die. If everybody did what they were told for once.

Pirang will be hit next turn. Quite a bit of merchant shipping off Balikpaypan. Hopefully we'll get some kills

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 770
Holy Cow - SCTF Battle Royale - 5/5/2009 12:24:22 AM   
vettim89

10 March 1944

Well, almost every one moved where they were supposed to with the exception that the Pinrag troops just spu circles i the Java Sea - didn't even move one hex. The my US CVTF were in perfect poistion to slaughter the shippig fleeing through the Strait of Makassar but didn't fly one sortie. That said, this was the side show.

The IJN came calling at Padang and a slug fest ensued. I would have to call this one a draw but I still have a lot of firepower left. Five rounds of combat - summary below:

First Round - RN SCTF vs IJN SCTF (RN is hurt here and RN BB's can't seem to find Hiei)

BB Hiei
CA Myoko, Shell hits 2
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 1
CL Agano
CL Abukuma, Shell hits 4, on fire
DD Naganami
DD Asashio, Shell hits 2
DD Isonami, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Asagiri, Shell hits 1
DD Kikuzuki, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Asanagi
DD Tachikaze
DD Hasu
DD Kari, Shell hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
BB Warspite
BB Queen Elizabeth, Shell hits 5
BB Resolution, Shell hits 2
BC Renown
CA Shropshire
CL Sumatra, Shell hits 2
CL Enterprise, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CLAA Ceres, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Pathfinder, Shell hits 1
DD Quality, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Queensborough, Shell hits 1

Second Round (RN finds the range)

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei, Shell hits 3
CA Myoko, Shell hits 5, and is sunk (internal explosion)
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 1, on fire
CL Agano, Shell hits 2
CL Abukuma, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Naganami
DD Asashio, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Isonami, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Asagiri, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Kikuzuki, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Asanagi, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Tachikaze
DD Hasu, Shell hits 1
DD Kari, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
BB Warspite, Shell hits 4
BB Queen Elizabeth, Shell hits 5
BB Resolution, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
BC Renown, Shell hits 4
CA Shropshire, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
CL Sumatra, Shell hits 1
CL Enterprise, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CLAA Ceres, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
DD Pathfinder, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Quality, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Queensborough, Shell hits 3, on fire

Third round - fought at 9000 yds

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei
CL Agano
CL Abukuma, on fire
DD Naganami
DD Asashio, on fire
DD Isonami, on fire, heavy damage
DD Asagiri, on fire
DD Kikuzuki, on fire, heavy damage
DD Asanagi, on fire
DD Tachikaze
DD Hasu
DD Kari, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CA Hawkins
CL Honolulu
DD Cassin, Shell hits 1
DD Decoy
DD Fortune
DD Griffin
DD Isis

Fourth Round - These are Hermes undamaged escorts

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei, Shell hits 2
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 2, on fire
CL Agano, Shell hits 4
CL Abukuma, on fire
DD Naganami, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Asashio, on fire
DD Isonami, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Asagiri, on fire
DD Kikuzuki, and is sunk (magazine explosion)
DD Asanagi, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Tachikaze
DD Hasu

Allied Ships
CL Durban, Shell hits 1
CLAA Caradoc, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Norman, Shell hits 4, on fire
DD Petard, Shell hits 23, on fire, heavy damage (crippled and scuttled)
DD Relentless

Fifth Round - These are Hermes' damaged escorts

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei, Shell hits 1
CL Agano, Shell hits 1
CL Abukuma, on fire
DD Naganami, on fire
DD Asashio, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Isonami, on fire, heavy damage
DD Asagiri, on fire
DD Asanagi, on fire
DD Tachikaze
DD Hasu

Allied Ships
CL Kenya, Shell hits 1
CL Glasgow, Shell hits 10

Daylight saw massive air attacks. One breaks through the CAP and CV Illustrious, CV Formidible, and DD Kimberly are all hit by Kakikazes. The two CV's are dinged but remain on station. Kimberly is sent to Padang while a CL and DD are sent to replace her. Lots of damaged ships at Padang with likely more to sink. The AB should go to level 2 next turn and two sq of AVG are in position.

Avengers run down CA Suzuya (4 TT), CL Abukuma (5 TT) and DD Asashio. Suzuya and Abukuma sink. So confirmed losses so far are one RN CA, one RN DD, two IJN CA, one IJN CL, and oe IJN DD. I am sure there will be some more to follow.

Air losses were 208 to 18 this turn. How long can this keep up? I need to get the RN CV's into Padang to rebuild the Corsair sq but don't think I dare quite yet.

Lastly, there are two IJN convoys just south of Padang now running South. Another convoy is spotted just South of Palembang heading SW toward the Sunda Strait. I think Larry may be trying to counter invade. I have a full ID equivalent behind level 3 forts. I hope that is enough. I am moving the one land based Avenger II sq down to Padang next turn. This is going to be dicey. I may need to send the US CV's over to turn the tide. For the first time, I am really concerned about this operation being a flop.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vettim89 -- 5/5/2009 12:27:28 AM >

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 771
RE: Holy Cow - SCTF Battle Royale - 5/5/2009 12:54:17 AM   
ny59giants

I think you need to pay a visit to Soerabaja with as much as you can fly there to let him know that "big brother' is coming out to play.   Then go from there.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 772
RE: Holy Cow - SCTF Battle Royale - 5/5/2009 2:02:16 AM   
vettim89

I was thinking that too. Makassar is a level 5 AB already. The 4E could move there almost instantly. Lautem can support them now and Dili and Maumere are already level 4 rapidly moving to level 5. I finally found somewhere that Larry has to defend. I think he is desperate now. If I can get Padang to level 5, Singapore and Palambang are isolated. Larry's loses over the last few weeks have been over 2000 airframes.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 773
RE: Holy Cow - SCTF Battle Royale - 5/5/2009 4:41:12 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

(RN is hurt here and RN BB's can't seem to find Hiei)

May have to shoot one or two BB captains "pour encourager les autres".

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 774
Yenen Collapse - 5/5/2009 6:30:42 AM   
vettim89

11 March 1944

First the bad news. Yenen's defense collapses without warning. Last deliberate attack was 1 to 1 and reduced forts to 8. This turn the attack comes off 9 to 1 and all units surrender. I lose one of the Chinese FS here. I knew I would lose the base as Larry's base AV was 2500 to my 800. Still I thought it would hold for a week or so. Lesson learned I guess.

The tempo finally falls off. No Allied ships hit today and the Japanese lose over 100 a/c. I opened up tracker and in the last four weeks the Japanese have lost just shy of 2000 a/c. Padang is a level 2 AB and is already 13% to level 3. Probably another three or four days before getting there. When that happens, it will probably be the end of it. Larry cannot continue to throw his a/c and the highly experienced Allied pilots now at Padang. I reorganized my SCTF's with all damaged ships going into one TF and the undamaged ones in another. AT present, the three ships in deepest trouble are CVL Hermes, CL Enterprise, and CLAA Ceres which all have FLOT damage exceeding 60. The most severely damaged ships may need to stay here for a while. The FAA launches at a TF 180 nm SSW of Padang and sinks two DD's who were travelig alone.

The Yosemite Sam troops are unloading and should take Pinrang next turn. Once organized here, they will quickly move on Makassar. Dili is at 4(21%) and Maumere is at 4 (51%). An EAB is loaded on barges at Lautem and is sent to Dili to speed up this process.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 775
RE: Yenen Collapse - 5/7/2009 2:06:05 AM   
vettim89

12-13 March 1944

The battle for Padang is apparently over. The first strikes went out today and sank some MSW and a ML at Singers. Troops are almost unloaded at Pinrang. USN CV air finally flies and sinks a TK in the Makassar Strait. The RN CVTF made port and the Air groups are rebuilt.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 776
RE: Yenen Collapse - 5/7/2009 2:32:34 AM   
ny59giants

Any plans to land in northen Sumatra and start putting pressure on Malaya from that angle??

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 777
RE: Yenen Collapse - 5/7/2009 5:38:36 AM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Any plans to land in northen Sumatra and start putting pressure on Malaya from that angle??

Yes, the two US ID and a RCT I trasnferred from WCUSA are just arriving at Aden now. I need to keep the RN CV's in theatre until Padang is a level 4 AB. It is 31% to level 3 now (I brought a lot of engineers and 300 k supply). So, once everything is unloaded, the RN CVTF will escort the cripples out and then head home. The above mentioned units are all prepping for Sabang. I will hopefully be able to roll down the East Coast of Sumatra that way. They can be supplemented by an Indian ID and a US Prov. Tank BTN at Colombo.

SWPAC units will load for the "B" (Bandersomethingoranother) base on the far side of the Straits of Makassar as soon as the lift gets back from Pinrang. There is another base further up the SW coast about 180 nm up from the "B" base. From there Singakelp (SPS 3 AB) is the next goal. All the NZAF units have been moved to Cooktown and are repping up. There is a boatload of units still in southern Oz that there simlply is no space for right now. Each of the above bases will give me more room to base all these units.

I could throw the kitchen sink of all the CENTPAC units into the fray too - but I think I will hold them back. SOPAC units will be advancing through the Celebes as all the above is going on so Larry is going to be feeling it from all directions.

Also, first B-29 BG is less than three weeks away. They will turn Mili and Brunei to dust as soon as they are at strength. I am about to become the Oil Nazi - NO OIL FOR YOU!!!!!!! I have no idea how quickly the Japanese Economy will grind to a halt but in the next month, I should have Larry down to the Oil in Japan, Formosa (one 50 facility) and the three in Manchuria. I think this may be a total of about 500.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 778
RE: Yenen Collapse - 5/8/2009 2:36:57 AM   
vettim89

14-15 March 1944

Is this a sign of Desperation? The A6M5's were Kamikazes! Not a lot goig on these last two turns. Highlights:

* Unloading of supplies continues at Pinrang. The ground troops move out for Makassar
* Two Kamikaze attacks o the 15th hit the TF off Pinrang. AM strike only 7 F6F CAP. Leakers hit a MSW and an AP
* US CV air hits port at Balikpaypan. ABout half a dozen MS are hit but 10 F6F and 8 SB2C are shot down
* Padang goes to a level 3 AB. More fighters flown in. AT level 4 I will send in the B-25's from Victoria Point
* US fleet boats hit and sink an AK off Leyte.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 779
RE: Yenen Collapse - 5/9/2009 5:25:06 AM   
vettim89

16-17 March 1944

Not a lot going on. That may change soon. Highlights:

* Larry moved some fighters and Jills into Macassar and hit a transiting TF. I lost a MSW and an AK was hit

* Recon of Singers shows base loaded for bear with over 100 fighters and 100 bombers

* SS Rasher sinks an AK near Tarakan but then is sunk herself.

* SoPac troops beginning to arrive at Townsville. I will send them in together to Darwin

* Most importantly, IJN CV's spotted NW of Tarakan. I may need to get my forces clear of Pinrang to be safe

* The CVTF in the SoPac is off Townsville and is diverted to Darwin.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 780
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Chicken Hawk Successful Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI