Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Not this time

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Not this time Page: <<   < prev  32 33 34 [35] 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Not this time - 1/17/2010 5:47:14 AM   
vettim89

26 January 1945

Well, I think the results of this turn have given me the answer as what to do in Malaya. Between the a/c on ground attack and the BOMB attack I inflicted over 1200 casualties this turn alone. The unit count drops from 20 to 19. I think I may just lay off the direct attacks for a while and just pound the Japanese units into powder.

And what have we here? It seems Larry thought he would try to repeat his success up north at Nah. I am guessing that he thought that when I withdrew my CVTF's that I took the SCTF with them. WRONG!!!!!!!! There is a huge USN surface presence there and I am hoping they rip the IJN to shreds. Then the 120 TBM's on the CVE's can pick off the stragglers. I hope I am not overconfident here but this looks like the brewing of a slaughter for the IJN.

Can't wait for the next turn. I believe the phrase is "This is not going to end well for some one"

Attachment (1)

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1021
RE: Not this time - 1/17/2010 8:56:03 PM   
vettim89

27 January 1944

What a night. It took six rounds of battle but the IJN SCTF was exterminated. I will take several posts to get this all in. First what happened elsewhere. The IJN came calling at Petro again engaing another small convoy. I lost 3 PG and two AK. Pt's will arrive soon. I am marshalling a force of recently arrived surface combatants and rushing them north. This includes CA Alaska, BB New York and the recently repaired BB Richilieu. I am assembling a large convoy to lift in a substantial force into Petro including some much needed AV support. Once there the base will be turned over to NoPac. The never ending ASW/sub war continues off Sakhalin Island with SS Picuda being roughed up but then SS Ray put thre TT into a PC ank sunk her killing a RAdm in the process.

An inadvertant Shock Attack at Mitikiang lowers forts to 4 and causes 5000 Japanese casualties to 3000 Sovs. This was supposed to be a deliberate attack. Grinding continues on isolated IJA forces on Malaya, Mindanao, and Cebu.

Rest of story to follow

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1022
Battle of Okinawa - 1/17/2010 10:03:00 PM   
vettim89

Excerpt from The Setting Sun: The Final Months in the Pacific War

With the build up at Naha nearly complete, Admiral Halsey called his top commanders to Okinawa for a conference. While certainly a dissapointment for admirals Lee, Wilkerson, and Olendorf considering the events that transpired, it gave the opportunity for three USN captains to prove their worth. (Note: somehow I failed to set proper commanders for my SCTF; they were all led by the ranking CAPT's on the flagships). Needless to say a lightening bolt shot through Third Fleet headquarters when the news that a large Japanese force was spotted just 240 NM northeast of Naha. As was commonly the case during the war, the USN search pilots misidentified the ships in the Japanese formation. To the excited eyes of the young pilots every destroyer looked like a cruiser and every cruiser looked like a battleship. Even though it was not the eight heavy cruisers reported by the search planes, Admiral Abe's force of fourteen destroyers surronding the heavy cruiser Chikuma was still a force that could wreak havoc on the anchored tranports at Naha harbor.

The US set their disposition as night fell. A force of twelve PT boats guarded the inshore approaches to assure the Japanese did not slip through unmolested. Much to the disappointment of the eager sailors aboard the PT boats, this force took no part in the action. To the west was Captain Berg's TF of three CA, four CL, and seven DD. The center was guarded by Captain Borowski and the main battle line of four BB, two CA, and six DD. Guarding the left flank was Captain Scott's force of four CA, two CL, and six DD. Unfortunately this complex arrangment led to a very confusing battle that most likely cost the Navy far more casualties than expected.

Despite detecting the Japanese at range at 0115, Captain Berg hesitated before ordering his ships to open fire. This allowed the Japanese to close to a mere 5000 yards before the battle commenced. The Japanese approached in three columns with four destroyers in separate columns on each flank and six destroyers guarding Chikuma in the center. When the Americans engaged, Abe ordered a sharp turn to starboard releasing his destroyers for torpedo attack. It was the USN who scored first when DD Hokaze was hit by a torpedo from one of the US destroyers. A swirling gunfight ensued as Berg manevered to keep as much distance between his ships and the Japanese. He knew full well how devastating the Long Lance torpedo could be. By 0140, smoke from gunfire and burning ships was obscuring the battle area. Berg ordered his force west to clear smoke and reacquire the Abe's force. At 0200, Berg's force relocated Abe and another thirty minutes of confusing gun fire occured before Abe broke northwest. With several ships burning and ammunition status reaching a critical point, Berg opted to break south thinking the Japanese were retreating. During this exchange, USS Maddox was hit by a Long Lance and would sink the next morning. Hokaze was hit by two more torpedoes and sank. The destoyer Isokaze was struck by several eight inch shells, exploded, and sank.

While still intent on trying to break into the anchorage at Naha, Abe knew his force was in trouble. Eleven of his remaining thirteen ships were on fire. Three of the remaining destroyers were seriously damaged. To the west, Captain Borowski, could see the shell flashes from the engagement. Fear of fratricide barred him from engaing Abe with the long range guns of his four battleships under radar control. There were just too many blips on the radar screen to differentiate friend from foe. When Berg informed Borowski by TBS that his force was breaking south, the picture finally cleared enough to release the firepower of the four USN battlewagons. When Abe realized he was facing battleships he could not resist the urge to sink such a prize. He ordered his remaining ships to close with the Americans. While the gunfire from the radar fire controled USN ships was murderous, it was not enough. BB Maryland was struck amidships by one torpedo and DD Chauncey was also hit by a torpedo. The US commanders all knew the danger of the Japanese torpedoes. Therefore the bulk of the fire was concentrated on the onrushing destroyers with Shimozuki, Fuyuzuki, Okinami, Asashio, and Hinoki all succombing to their wounds during this phase of the battle. The confusion of the battle caused a momentary pause in firing but the USN soon relocated the now fleeing Japanese. Suddenly a sixteen inch shell hit DD Wakazuki setting off her magazines. The flash from the explosion blinded lookouts and the smoke from the pyre completely obscurred ships on both sides. When visibility finally cleared, the two forces found themselves on parallel courses at point blank range (2000 yards). The melee was furious with even the US 20 mm and 40 mm anti-aircraft guns being fired at the Japanese. The remaining six IJN destroyers succombed but not before one put another "fish" into Maryland. Borowski called the pursuit off at this point due to low ammunition and concern for assisting Maryland.

Captain Scott who had been following the confused battle as best he could was rushing north to cut off the retreating Japanese. At 0330 he found the strickened Chikuma. The US cruisers engaged at 7000 yards with both San Francisco and Salt Lake City scoring at least three hits each with their eight inch guns. Then the light cruiser St. Louis found the range and pummled Abe's flagship with over 35 six inch shells. Chikuma slipped beneath the waves and the chaos was over.

While the battle was a complete US victory, rumblings arose about the disposition of the USN force. Captain Berg especially was single out for allowing the Japanese to close to such short range before engaging.

< Message edited by vettim89 -- 1/17/2010 10:17:09 PM >

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1023
RE: Battle of Okinawa - 1/17/2010 10:18:17 PM   
vettim89

US cruisers engage the Japanese

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1024
RE: Battle of Okinawa - 1/17/2010 10:18:59 PM   
vettim89

The final blow

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1025
RE: Battle of Okinawa - 1/17/2010 10:20:23 PM   
vettim89

While I am loath to post combat reports, this one probably merits an exception to that rule:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Naha at 54,46

Japanese Ships
CA Chikuma, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Wakazuki, Shell hits 1
DD Shimozuki, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Fuyuzuki, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Okinami, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Hamanami
DD Asashimo, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Natsushio
DD Isokaze, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Arashio
DD Samidare
DD Maki
DD Hinoki, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Minekaze, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Hokaze, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CA Northampton
CA Pittsburgh, Shell hits 1
CA Hobart, Shell hits 1
CL Phoenix, Shell hits 2
CL Columbia
CL Birmingham, Shell hits 1
CL Wilkes-Barre
DD Maddox, Shell hits 1
DD Anthony, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Erben, Shell hits 1
DD Franks, Shell hits 2
DD Halford
DD Harrison
DD Young
DD Welles
DD Bagley, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Preston

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese Ships
CA Chikuma, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Wakazuki, Shell hits 6, on fire
DD Shimozuki, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Fuyuzuki, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Okinami, Shell hits 14, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hamanami
DD Asashimo, Shell hits 8, on fire, heavy damage
DD Natsushio
DD Isokaze, Shell hits 4, and is sunk
DD Arashio, Shell hits 1
DD Samidare, Shell hits 2
DD Maki, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hinoki, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
DD Minekaze, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Hokaze, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CA Northampton
CA Pittsburgh, Shell hits 4
CA Hobart
CL Phoenix, Shell hits 2
CL Columbia
CL Birmingham, Shell hits 1
CL Wilkes-Barre, Shell hits 2
DD Maddox, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Anthony, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Erben
DD Franks, Shell hits 1
DD Halford
DD Harrison
DD Young
DD Welles
DD Bagley, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Preston

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese Ships
CA Chikuma, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Wakazuki, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Shimozuki, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Fuyuzuki, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
DD Okinami, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
DD Hamanami
DD Asashimo, Shell hits 11, and is sunk
DD Natsushio, Shell hits 7, on fire
DD Arashio, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Samidare, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Maki, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hinoki, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Minekaze, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
BB Maryland, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1
BB Nevada, Shell hits 4
BB Arizona
BB Pennsylvania, Shell hits 1
CA Quincy, Shell hits 1
CA Wichita, Shell hits 2
CL New Orleans
DD Bearss
DD Bullard, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Chauncey, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hale
DD Richard Leary
DD Leutze
DD McNair
DD Hobby
DD Kalk
DD Meade

Japanese Ships
CA Chikuma, on fire
DD Wakazuki, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
DD Hamanami
DD Natsushio, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
DD Arashio, on fire, heavy damage
DD Samidare, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Maki, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Minekaze, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
BB Maryland
BB Nevada
BB Arizona
BB Pennsylvania
CA Quincy
CA Wichita
CL New Orleans
DD Bearss
DD Bullard, on fire
DD Chauncey, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hale
DD Richard Leary
DD Leutze
DD McNair
DD Hobby
DD Kalk
DD Meade

Japanese Ships
CA Chikuma, Shell hits 14, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hamanami, Shell hits 31, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Natsushio, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
DD Arashio, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
DD Samidare, Shell hits 28, and is sunk
DD Maki, Shell hits 28, and is sunk
DD Minekaze, Shell hits 31, and is sunk

Allied Ships
BB Maryland, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB Nevada, Shell hits 7
BB Arizona
BB Pennsylvania
CA Quincy, Shell hits 1
CA Wichita
CL New Orleans
DD Bearss
DD Bullard, on fire
DD Chauncey, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hale
DD Richard Leary
DD Leutze
DD McNair
DD Hobby
DD Kalk, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Meade

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Chikuma, Shell hits 45, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CA Adelaide
CA Astoria
CA San Francisco
CA Salt Lake City
CL St. Louis
CL Santa Fe
DD Brush
DD English
DD Wickes
DD Swanson
DD Wilkes
DD Laffey
DD Buchanan
DD Lardner
DD McCalla

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1026
RE: Battle of Okinawa - 1/18/2010 1:49:58 AM   
Alfred

vettim89,

Following up on your posts #1020 and #1021.

Yes, I had overlooked the fact that Singapore has the additional attraction of being a non malaria hex.

Now that you seem to have formulated your operational plan viz., artillery and ground attacks to eliminate the Khota Bharu pocket, I thought I might run past you some considerations which might improve the efficacy of your operational plan.

1.  Assume that you actually now owned Singapore (and Johore also of course).  Which one of the two non malerial bases (Singapore and Rangoon) would your units pulled out of Khota Bharu reach first?  Assuming the answer is Singapore, and I'm not certain that it necessarily is, how long would the additional delay be if they went to Rangoon instead.

2.  Do you have available in the general vicinity of Rangoon/East Bengal adequate sea lift to accommodate the units pulled out of Khota Bharu for R + R?

3.  The reason why (1) and (2) are raised is because if you do have spare sea lift, the option of using Rangoon for R + R becomes, under the current situation, an attractive alternative to Singapore.

4.  The fact is that you don't yet own Johore and Singapore.  Consequently units pulled out of Khota Bharu would have to capture those two locations largely under their current maleria induced fatigue.  Whilst on paper you would be attacking with an overwhelming Ass Val, in reality how high would the enemy unadjusted Ass Val be boosted by fortification levels.  Also could not the enemy units at Johore be significantly rested as a result of rotation into/out of Singapore.  Now if your assault units had been fully rested at Rangoon, embarked upon a transport fleet at Rangoon (safe from interference from enemy air strikes) and then sea lifted to the base above Johore, the subsequent overland march to Johore would probably see them arrive with less fatigue than if they marched directly from Khota Bharu to Johore.  This of course assume that you could deal with any enemy air threats out of Singapore/Sumatra/Java etc.

5.  If you are going to use artillery and air ground attacks at Khota Bharu, you can afford to pull out more units for R + R until you reach a 1:1 ratio.  That would give you a greater punch for Johore/Singapore.

6.  Don't forget that at Khota Bharu you can just bombard with artillery units for say 3-4 turns, allowing your infantry to recover some disruption, but not relenting the pressure on disruption of the entire enemy army.  Then on the 5th turn launch a deliberate attack.  Wash and rinse.

Alfred

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1027
RE: Battle of Okinawa - 1/18/2010 2:32:36 AM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

vettim89,

Following up on your posts #1020 and #1021.

Yes, I had overlooked the fact that Singapore has the additional attraction of being a non malaria hex.

Now that you seem to have formulated your operational plan viz., artillery and ground attacks to eliminate the Khota Bharu pocket, I thought I might run past you some considerations which might improve the efficacy of your operational plan.

1.  Assume that you actually now owned Singapore (and Johore also of course).  Which one of the two non malerial bases (Singapore and Rangoon) would your units pulled out of Khota Bharu reach first?  Assuming the answer is Singapore, and I'm not certain that it necessarily is, how long would the additional delay be if they went to Rangoon instead.

2.  Do you have available in the general vicinity of Rangoon/East Bengal adequate sea lift to accommodate the units pulled out of Khota Bharu for R + R?

3.  The reason why (1) and (2) are raised is because if you do have spare sea lift, the option of using Rangoon for R + R becomes, under the current situation, an attractive alternative to Singapore.

4.  The fact is that you don't yet own Johore and Singapore.  Consequently units pulled out of Khota Bharu would have to capture those two locations largely under their current maleria induced fatigue.  Whilst on paper you would be attacking with an overwhelming Ass Val, in reality how high would the enemy unadjusted Ass Val be boosted by fortification levels.  Also could not the enemy units at Johore be significantly rested as a result of rotation into/out of Singapore.  Now if your assault units had been fully rested at Rangoon, embarked upon a transport fleet at Rangoon (safe from interference from enemy air strikes) and then sea lifted to the base above Johore, the subsequent overland march to Johore would probably see them arrive with less fatigue than if they marched directly from Khota Bharu to Johore.  This of course assume that you could deal with any enemy air threats out of Singapore/Sumatra/Java etc.

5.  If you are going to use artillery and air ground attacks at Khota Bharu, you can afford to pull out more units for R + R until you reach a 1:1 ratio.  That would give you a greater punch for Johore/Singapore.

6.  Don't forget that at Khota Bharu you can just bombard with artillery units for say 3-4 turns, allowing your infantry to recover some disruption, but not relenting the pressure on disruption of the entire enemy army.  Then on the 5th turn launch a deliberate attack.  Wash and rinse.

Alfred

I was continuing under my present course while I debated my options. Then the results of the 26th swayed me to keep the pressure on at Kota Bhuta. While the 1200+ casualties may not be the norm (about 800 on the 27th), what really encouraged me was the unit count dropping by one with nothing more than bombardment (air and arty). If I could continue this pattern of reducing units without suffering large numbers of casualties via Deliberate Attacks, then the reduction of this pocket may be in my best interest.

I do not have much AP lift available in the area but have plenty of AK's. As this is still the original WiTP, I can lift with AK's. Still it is an eight day voyage from Aloe Star to Rangoon (the closest port). The return trip would be ten days to Malacca just two hexes north of Jahore Buhta. I wonder how much fatigue and disruption would build between the time on ship and then the 120 nm march.

I still believe that the actual AS at Singapore may not be as fromidible as what the 90+ k troop count might make one believe.

I fall back on Leicester's Laws which tells me overwhelming force at one point is better than two strong forces attacking two points simultaneously

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1028
RE: Battle of Okinawa - 1/18/2010 4:07:28 AM   
Alfred

vettim89,

Yep, you are absolutely correct that in your current situation, a single concentrated attack is better than two weaker attacks.  Hence why I preferred eliminating the pocket first when you seemed to be still weighing  up the options.

But really at the end of the day, in view of the strength of your overall position, just about any operational plan will be good.  It just depends on which one you will find most enjoyable in its advance logistics planning and tactical implementation.  So don't let me sway you away from having fun.  I'll bud in if you intend to undertake something truely horrendous but I can't see you making any significant blunders.

Assuming you embarked at Rangoon with 0% disruption/fatigue, IIRC you would incur approximately a 1% daily increase in disruption.  So based on a 12 day sea voyage (you must be using those slow 12 kt, pitiful AA protection, Commonwealth AKs), even with the 2 hex overland march, I think that would be less that the disruption your Khota Bharu units presumably would have.

Alfred 

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1029
RE: Battle of Okinawa - 1/20/2010 5:32:16 AM   
vettim89

28-29 January 1945

The sweeps went in on the 28th and destroyed 58 Japanese fighters. I however lost about 25 with most of them being the P-38L variant. The plane that won the war for me is no longer a good match for the Franks and George's. The P-51D and P-47D seem more than enough to brush aside the modern Japanese fighters. Switching units around to put the P-38's on defense while offense goes over to the 'Stangs and Juggs. Nah will go to level 6 AB next turn and will be level 7 within a week. Legaspi will be level 7 within a week. I will move B-24 to Naha and the Rangoon based B-29's to Legaspi.

Meanwhile, several TF's approach Iwo and will be there in 2 turns. In this group most importantly is 500 K of fuel. I used up the 100 k I brought in the first week. A steady train of TK is now moving from the WCUSA to Midway and Marcus to keep the fuel coming. Also in this group is engineers and Av support for Tori Shima. This SPS 0 base will be built up to level 3 ASAP and be a fighter base to terrorize the HI. With fuel no longer an issue, the CentPac CVTF will start rading too. I know Larry's fighter production is on the rocks. The pressure of continued raids and soon strategic bombing should about shut it down.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1030
RE: Battle of Okinawa - 1/23/2010 5:21:27 PM   
vettim89

30-31 Jan 1945

The pace of our game has slowed. I lost my internet for two day - damn cable company. Larry rarely sends me more than one turn in a day these days. In the height of the battle in 1943, we were doing 14 to 16 turns a week. Lately its about 5 a week. Kudos to Larry for sticking with it. The points lead is 67k to 40 k. WIth Naha and Legaspi both about to go to Level 7 AB, the Strategic Points should start climbing.

Action over the two days (not much)

* The convoy with all that fuel has arrived at Iwo. Once unloaded my CVTF can roam free

* Troops loading at PH for Amami

* Cannot seem to do anything against the surrounded troops at Cebu and Cagayan despite air and land bombardments for 4-5 days follwed by deliberate attacks.

* Deliberate attack on the 31st at Kota Bhuru reduced unit count to 18. Allied casualties still pretty heavy.

* Allied forces have invested Naga and have a 3500 to 850 AV advantage. Only 5 units at Manila.

* The P-38's at Iwo are either being upgrade to P-51D or transferred out.

* Sweeps of Kyushu are yielding nice results with almost no USAAF losses. Watching fatigue very carefully hear as I do not want to suffer excess Ops losses.

* The Sovs have surrounded Mishan. WIth only 28 more turns of Winter left, I expect to lose Okha but will be able to roll through Manchuko. Image attached of the situation up here

* Once refueled, the USN CVTF will escort engineers to Tori Shima and convoys to Chichi Jima. The two ID at Chichi Jima will be lifted to Okinawa to take Kadena.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1031
Still fight left in em - 1/26/2010 3:38:50 AM   
vettim89

1-2 Feb 1945

Weather gods were fickle. Looking for a virgin to sacrifice. My CVTF brushed aside several waves against them knocking down 269 a/c. Unfortunately weater prevented them from covering Tori Shima. Several Japanese raids hit a convoy hard. These engineers need to be put ashore. My CVTF will remain on station at least one more day.

On the good news front, Cagayan is cleared on the 1st eliminating Japanese resistance on Mindanao.

Next trun P-51D from Iwo will attempt to LRCAP Tori. The fighters on Okinawa will sweep Kyushu again. Need to keep whittling down this fighter force

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1032
RE: Still fight left in em - 2/2/2010 1:21:59 PM   
vettim89

3-11 Feb 1945

The war settles into a grind now. From the image you can see one of my subs finally intercepted the SCTF that has been running back and forth to Okha. BB Hiei took two TT and got a critcal damage comment.

Highlghts of over a week of fighting:

* The unit count at Kota Bhutar has dropped to 15. Last attack came off at 51 to 1 and caused over 8000 casualties. I think these units are about to go poof.

* Cebu only has one Japanese ID left there but it is a tough one

* Forts at Mutakiang are down to 3. Last attack was a solid 3 to 1. I expect the next attack to take the city.

* The effort to get all the engineers and Av support I need into TOri SHiima is complete. Due to gaps in CAP caused by Weather I end up losing a DE and about 6-7 AK. Larry on the other hand lost about 600 a/c

* Bombing of bases in the HI is slowly ramping up. Larry comment that he used up all his fighters trying to intervene at Tori Shima that there is nothing left to CAP his bases. At present the main effort is at Osaka/Kobe where over 160 IJN ships are in port.

* SUperbees hit Kyushu for the first time hitting HI and a small Frank factory.

* Forts are down to six at Naga. Just grinding it out here. Another Aussie ID has arrived at Legaspi. One more is being lifted out of Cagayan. Two US ID remain at Cebu.

* A TF with three RCT has departed Pago Pago for Maeolap. I will clear the Marshalls with these units.

* The Amami invasion force is approaching Marcus Island

The Allies lead is now roughly 70,000 to 40,000.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1033
Allied Power - 2/5/2010 5:33:20 AM   
vettim89

12-13 Feb 1945

Two days of the Allies just displaying their power at this stage of the game. At Kota Bhutar, two days of attacks inflict 30k casualties and reduce the unit count from 15 to 7. I think I am about done here. I will turn my power on Singers next. Japanese resistance ended on Cebu on the 13th also with 13k casualties there. The only area where I still trail Larry in points is Army losses. These two days have narrowed the gap to 13000 Allies to 11000 Japanese.

Then on the 13th, Superbees from Legaspi raid the HI. You can see BB Musashi took a lot of bounce hits. That said there were plenty of hits indicating her AAA is ripped apart. USN CVTF sortie to head NE of Tokyo. My guess is Larry will try to miove her to Hakkaido. Hopefully I can get her at sea with TBF/M and sink her.

Troops load at Iwo for Kadina. Was trying an overland approach from Naha but its taking too long. The forces for Amami are still about 480 NM east of Marcus.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1034
St. Valentine's Day Massacre - 2/6/2010 12:46:22 PM   
vettim89

14 February 1945

Just a quick note about the turn, Deliberate Attack at Kota Bhutar came off at 221 to 1, inflicted 46k casualties, and reduced the unit count from 7 to 1! That is all.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1035
RE: St. Valentine's Day Massacre - 2/13/2010 6:55:50 AM   
vettim89

15-19 February 1945

Well Musashi made it to safety but the US CVTF wreaked havoc on shipping near northern Honshu and Hokkaido. Estimates would put the IJN losses at a CA, a CL, four or five DD, six to eight PC, and about two dozen AP, AK, AO, and TK. I am hoping the TK and AO's may have been loaded with fuel when they went down.

The Allied troops cleared northern Malaya on the 15th. This stack is now heading south to Jahore Bahru and eventually Singers. A hug convoy with over 400 k supply has departed Madras heading to Pukhoi in China. I am interested to see if this has any effect there. It will take a while and may not even happen before the game ends.

The forts are reduced to 1 at Mutakiang. Next attack should take the city.

More support troops are approaching Petro. I will switch the base command just befoer they arrive and fly in P-47's and P-51D's to support attacks into the Sea of Okhutz (sp?)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1036
RE: St. Valentine's Day Massacre - 2/13/2010 8:19:07 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

A hug convoy with over 400 k supply has departed Madras heading to Pukhoi in China. I am interested to see if this has any effect there.

Well the hugs should greatly increase morale. Are you also going to send a tickle convoy to stimulate the slackers?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1037
RE: St. Valentine's Day Massacre - 2/16/2010 1:19:19 AM   
vettim89

20-21 February 1945

A good two days. On the 20th, USAAF fighters from Iwo sweep Tokyo and wipe out the fighter defenses including 40 George!

On the 21st: Mutankiang, Naga, and Maeolap all fall to the Allies.

The troops for Amami are two days out of Iwo. They will refuel and go with the troops to Kadina.

Petro now belongs to NorPac and P-51D's are stationed there.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1038
RE: St. Valentine's Day Massacre - 2/24/2010 5:27:01 AM   
vettim89

22 February - 1 March 1945

The Allies continue their pressure. Attached image shows that the bulk of the troops assigned to SEASIA have arrived at Singers. Base AV will be over 3 to 1 in Allied favor once the last stack of a half dozen or so units cross the causeway. A similar situation now exists at Manila. Here I am resting my troops for a few days before I start the pressure. Av Support is moving up from the Celebes to Naga where additional ground attack a/c will be based.

On the first sweeps from both Petro (at Shikaku) and Iwo (at Tokyo) successfully maul the bulk of the Japanese fighter strength. Only four bases have any significant fighters at all: those two plus Saparo (where combined fleet is hiding) and Osaka. At present Amami should fall next turn. A stout force has landed at Kadina also just as the two Div arrive overland from Naha. Again, this base should fall fairly quickly. Once Kadina is in Allied hands, I will quickly build it up to level 7 AB. Then I can move the Superbees up to really rip Japanese industry

Near term plans if the game continues much longer are:

1. To move the supplies from Malaya to China. Doubt this will arrive in time to make a difference

2. Once the kadina/Amami ops are concluded, USN CVTF will sweep the Honshu coaast and move up to striking range of Saparo. The combined fleet will either have to come out and fight or die in port.

3. If time allows I will occupy Tsushima, Fusan, and Musan. This will give me even more bases on Japan's doorstep.

That said, points are now roughly 75k to 42k. If singaore and Manila were both to fall soon, those points along may give me my elusive autovictory.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1039
Game is likely over - 3/14/2010 4:34:33 AM   
vettim89

We ran into some technical difficulties. First we experienced a turn where both of us saw some really odd graphics issues. Then Larry sent me a turn and my computer said no as the turn file was said to have a virus. After several attempts at resend, Larry sent me an e-mail that just said password: with his pw enclosed. I have not open the file yet as I sent a note to Larry to confirm. It appears to be over though.

What a great game. I am tangibly saddened over the end. I have just completed rereading my own AAR and recalled all those tense days in 1943, the desparate battles for Abemama and Tarawa, and of course the epic struggle for Burma in 1943 with all those SCTF battles. Larry proved to be a great opponent. He kept challenging me to the very end even when he was on the ropes. I have to say one of my hesitations to start an AE game is my doubts that I could fine such a fine opponent as Larry.

So as I wait for what will be a final e-mail from him, I wanted to take this opportunity to salute a worthy opponent and a fine gentlemen. Three cheers for you Larry. HUZZAH! HUZZAH! HUZZAH!

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1040
RE: Game is likely over - 3/14/2010 7:01:52 PM   
Capt. Harlock

Ouch -- what a shame. I assume Larry scanned his computer for viruses after you had the problem?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1041
RE: Game is likely over - 3/14/2010 7:58:52 PM   
bigbaba

beside that if it was a virus or not, WITP and AE seem to have some problems with antivirus software. so never delete a file which your antivirus software was not able to scan after the scan is done! if you do that you can not start AITp or AE and have to reinstall the game.

anyway, it was a great game and a good read. thanks to both of you.

Post #: 1042
RE: Game is likely over - 3/14/2010 9:22:28 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

Ouch -- what a shame. I assume Larry scanned his computer for viruses after you had the problem?

To be honest I am not sure it was a virus at all. I think it is possible Larry may have hardware issues. The file could just be stored on a bad sector on his harddrive. That said, Larry tried to roll back the turn and he could not open the old file. I have to wonder if a reinstall might work but considering his current situation in game, I can certainly understand Larry's lack of interest. Still have not heard from him.

Post #: 1043
FInal words - 3/15/2010 5:46:52 AM   
vettim89

It is confirmed, the game has concluded. Attched screenie from the IJ side shows I was just below 2 to 1. Between Manila, Singers, and Kadina plus Strategic Losses, it would have been done by the end of March 1945. WIll post some notes in here over the next few days.

Gonna go peak at Larry's AAR and he is now welcome in mine. Still a great game. No regrets.

Oh, BTW, Larry had 2200 Oil in his pool at games end. Guess my strategy paid off

Cheers,

Tim

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vettim89 -- 3/15/2010 6:44:22 AM >

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1044
RE: FInal words - 3/15/2010 11:34:58 AM   
gladiatt

I did enjoy this read since the beginning. Great game and interesting AAR , thank you.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1045
RE: FInal words - 3/15/2010 7:40:17 PM   
vettim89

Before I recap some things, I would like to express some thank yous.

First to Brian (Big B) for designing this mod. In the final stages of WiTP it was considered one of the better mods and I have to agree.

Second to Nemo for his treatise on Leicester's Laws in the Forlorn Hopes AAR. While not directly in this AAR, I learned a lot about how to conduct ops. I rolled base after base once I stopped dividing my forces. Overwhelming force at the tip of the spear and then on to the next op.

Next is Alfred who chimed in with some excellant advice especially early when I was getting my bearings.

Finally a group of posters who provided me with sage advice like NYGiants who told me to set up a back up transfer point early in the war behind Pago Pago. Larry occupied me for a couple of months around PP and the base at Papete I beleive kept stuff flowing south. I could name you all but would probably forget some one important so just a thanks to all.

Alas, like Adm. Montoya I am at a loss. To quote Inigo: "I have been in the revenge business for so long, I don't know what to do next". Perhaps I would make a good Pirate Roberts

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 1046
RE: FInal words - 3/16/2010 3:41:52 PM   
vettim89

Hoping Larry will post in here soon. I read his AAR but a lot of it is economic stuff which might as well be written in a foreign languge. In fact I think it is written in a foreign language.

So this war turned in 1943. There was heavy fighting in the Gilberts and Marshalls and things where dicey for a while. The nearly failed invasion of Tarawa was very close. In our version of the war an enormous amount of attention was paid to SEAC where Burma was entirely liberated by the end of 1943. After clearing the Marshalls and Gilberts in 1943, I shifted focus to the DEI. Here the war was won not only in destruction of Japanese units but in acquiring bases that completely isolated Japan from its principle oil sources. Kamikazes appeared very early because Larry failed to conquer Pakhoi in SW China. This coastal city met the Kami activation requirements and it was on. Still I lost more ships in the last 15 months of war from conventional attacks than Kamikazes I believe although CVE seemed to be Kamikaze magnets.

I would say this war was won at Timor. When I invaded there I was concerned. A protracted battle ala Tarawa or Wake would have cost me enough shipping to perhaps alter the course of the war. However, once Lautem was taken, the die was cast. Within a month I had three AB's with SPS of 2 or more. That said my Coup de Main was without a doubt Padang. Larry's failure to clean up the map cost him big time here. I lost a lot of ships here and had the entire RN CV fleet crippled for months. Once the AB went to 5 though it was over. No oil left Palembang after that point and the Japanese economy was dead. The Commonwealth troops, planes, and ships were critical to my winning the war.

I would not be too critical of Larry's production choices as I really don't understand that part of the game at all. Still, it does puzzle me a little to see all those late war CV's with poor quality aircrews. Seems to me a little less aggressive Naval building program and more aggressive a/c building might have served him better. That said, I really have no idea of what I am talking about.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1047
RE: FInal words - 3/17/2010 6:13:35 AM   
vettim89

Going to go over the map a bit now that I have been able to study Larry's turn file. First USSR/Russia.

I was in better shape here than the most recent results led me to believe. The IJA troops at Hailor, Mishan and Heiho were in worse shape than I thought. Supplies were low and disruption was high. I think a little more pushing here would have brought some nice results. To my surprise the IJA troops at Okha were in better shape than I thought. I think that base may have fallen into Japanese hand very soon. However, the bases in southern Sakhalin were almost devoid of combat troops. If I would have gone for a Spring offensive here, I would have taken both bases with minimal force. As I suspected nearly all the combat force of the IJA was forward deployed. If I would have broken out near Harbin, it would have been a rout. Also, my planned ops to take Masan and Fusan would not only have gone well (only fortresses at those bases) but also there were no combat units in the Korean peninsula south of the one base opposite Vlad. US forces would probably have been able to roll to Port Blair or beyond unopposed. If the game could have gotten to May the 11000 plus AV heading in would probably have rolled most of northern China also.

More to come tomorrow.

(edit: intial post was written at 1 AM and you could tell)

< Message edited by vettim89 -- 3/17/2010 3:18:35 PM >

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1048
RE: FInal words - 3/17/2010 3:29:33 PM   
vettim89

China:

I was shocked to see how little supply was in China. I always thought of this being a self-sufficient region for the Japanese with the resource centers and industry being able to support the IJA. Only Sian had adequate supply levels with most bases in the orange of even red zone. Canton and Hong Kong were in especially bad shape. Hong Kong had no combat troops there. If the Commonwealth troops had put to sea after taken Singers, they could have rolled southern China. Also my large convoy with supply was less than two weeks out of Pakhoi. I suspect even the poorly trained Chinese troops with ample supply would have been able to cause some damage.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1049
RE: FInal words - 3/19/2010 12:36:06 AM   
Alfred

vettim89,

Just read the last few posts.  Congratulations on the victory and your too generous comments.

It was a nicely written AAR, balancing well the provision of tactical and strategic issues.  Since you mentioned your opponents AAR is written in a foreign language, I'll now have to pop over there and read those balance sheets.

Regarding what to do now.  You could try playing as Japan.  However there is also that little creature called WITP:AE to deal with, either by play or developing a mod which you already seem to be interested in.

Alfred

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1050
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 34 [35] 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Not this time Page: <<   < prev  32 33 34 [35] 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI