Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dominions 3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Dominions 3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dominions 3 - 3/27/2008 12:33:03 AM   
Grell

Wow, this game is just amazing, I didn't think I'd like it but I just love it. The game really drags you in. Great stuff.

Regards,

Grell

Post #: 1
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/27/2008 1:09:21 AM   
Joram

It's a great game.  Just damn expensive.  The end-game kind of sucks though unless you keep the map small.  They didn't design a GUI friendly-enough for the masses you can collect.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 2
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/27/2008 1:15:59 AM   
ravinhood

Did you get the latest patch I think it's up to 3.15 Excellent fantasy wargame...I think that one can play against 61 or 62 ai opponents makes it that much better. Kinda like Spartan I think it has 100.

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 3
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/27/2008 4:05:55 PM   
Grell

Hi Rav,

Yes I have the latest patch, how do you play against so many?

On my game there was maybe 20-25 to choose from.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 4
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/27/2008 4:10:27 PM   
marcusm

Isn't this a game where you practically need to play against humans for the diplomacy to work?

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 5
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/27/2008 6:24:14 PM   
Grell

Hi Marcusm,

I only read the tutorial and I haven't seen any diplomacy yet, but I might just be missing it.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 6
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/27/2008 7:00:14 PM   
cdbeck

Marcusm, yes there isn't any diplomacy with the AI. It doesn't really hamper the gameplay any, as the AI is not overly bright and you tend to play this game as sort of a solitaire-type of wargame where you challenge yourself to come up with awesome new "unbeatable" strategies to waste the combined efforts of hoards of AI. I happen to like this, give no quarter and expect no mercy style, but YMMV.

I have never played a multiplayer game, but EVERYONE says that they are awesome. I love this game, and until Stardock releases their new "Master of Magic Spiritual Sequel" then it will be ensconced as one of my favorite TBS of all time (and one of my favorite games of all time).

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 7
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/27/2008 8:50:54 PM   
Grell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

Marcusm, yes there isn't any diplomacy with the AI. It doesn't really hamper the gameplay any, as the AI is not overly bright and you tend to play this game as sort of a solitaire-type of wargame where you challenge yourself to come up with awesome new "unbeatable" strategies to waste the combined efforts of hoards of AI. I happen to like this, give no quarter and expect no mercy style, but YMMV.

I have never played a multiplayer game, but EVERYONE says that they are awesome. I love this game, and until Stardock releases their new "Master of Magic Spiritual Sequel" then it will be ensconced as one of my favorite TBS of all time (and one of my favorite games of all time).

Hi Son of Montfort,

I understand where your love for this game comes from, it is quite spectacular.

Regards,

Grell

SoM

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 8
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/27/2008 9:21:39 PM   
Zakhal

Dom 3 is exactly the kind of game I like (love the manual too) but the fact that it doesnt have much in the name of AI drops it from the list instantly. I have too many AIless games as it is.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 9
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/27/2008 9:31:55 PM   
ravinhood

Uhhh you obviously haven't played the 62 AI opponents game then. ;) It's anything but brainless and just trying to hold onto your territory with that many AI is a challenge in and of itself.

@Grell yes there is a MOD that increased the number of AI opponents to 62 just search around on the official forum for it or do a google that's how I found it.

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 10
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/27/2008 10:57:17 PM   
Hertston

It had AI good enough to beat me much of the time (and I assume it hasn't got worse over the last couple of patches), providing you set the game up for a reasonable challenge. Not in the GalCiv 2 class (exploits ignored), but no worse than most TBS games that don't 'cheat' outrageously.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 11
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/27/2008 11:26:15 PM   
Grell

Hi Rav and Herston,

I like the AI, it may not be the best but it's kickin my butt!

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 12
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/28/2008 1:44:15 AM   
cdbeck

Ok, I was wrong to say the AI was brainless, it is quite good. You are not going to see the same "cool" strategies (like neat super combatants with crazy weapons and made invicible by spells), but you will see numbers of troops that seem inhumanly possible hit you right where you don't want to be hit. So in that regard, the AI is great!

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 13
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/28/2008 2:37:55 AM   
Zakhal

Ok ordered it then. Only 30€ shipping included - it had a discount that runs only until next monday. I read that it uses server based pbem system - its the best form of pbem (i.e sw game VGA planets that used it sold 100,000 units). I wish matrix would use it in their games.

But I trust you that the AI can beat me - atleast every now and then. Othervice Im coming back to haunt you in this thread.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 3/28/2008 2:40:10 AM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 14
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/28/2008 3:20:44 AM   
ravinhood

Just be prepared for the Win95 graphics hahah that might put you off more than the ai. ;)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 15
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/28/2008 4:17:14 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Just be prepared for the Win95 graphics hahah that might put you off more than the ai. ;)

Hey I like the graphics. ;) Reminds me of the first generation total war games that dont work anymore on my pc.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 16
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/28/2008 3:22:34 PM   
marcusm

Matrixgames should pick this up. I think MG is a better publisher than the one they use now.
Best reason would be so that MG could use their skilled artists to brush up the arcane looking GUI.

< Message edited by marcusm -- 3/28/2008 3:23:49 PM >

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 17
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/28/2008 4:17:04 PM   
Grell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

Ok ordered it then. Only 30€ shipping included - it had a discount that runs only until next monday. I read that it uses server based pbem system - its the best form of pbem (i.e sw game VGA planets that used it sold 100,000 units). I wish matrix would use it in their games.

But I trust you that the AI can beat me - atleast every now and then. Othervice Im coming back to haunt you in this thread.

LOL! Hi Zak,

I hope you enjoy the game, I do very much.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 18
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/28/2008 10:19:00 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm

Matrixgames should pick this up. I think MG is a better publisher than the one they use now.
Best reason would be so that MG could use their skilled artists to brush up the arcane looking GUI.

Much as I appreciate Matrix they have yet to produce anything like the Dom 3 manual which is the second best I've seen, in recent years anyway (the first being the 'hard' version for Dangerous Waters) and this is a game that demands a proper spiral-bound you can refer to as you play. The only problem graphically is the battles but in all honesty only a total re-write and a new engine (to something that looks like HoMM3 or Fantasy Wars maybe?) would be worth the effort, not a 'brush up'.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 19
RE: Dominions 3 - 3/28/2008 10:28:39 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Much as I appreciate Matrix they have yet to produce anything like the Dom 3 manual which is the second best I've seen, in recent years anyway (the first being the 'hard' version for Dangerous Waters) and this is a game that demands a proper spiral-bound you can refer to as you play.

Starshatter manual is very good. Its color, 110 pages and hard not spiral.

Btw I ordered the spiral bound dangerous waters the 700 page manual yesterday.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Dominions 3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll