Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Britain Surrenders 1st

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Britain Surrenders 1st Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Britain Surrenders 1st - 3/30/2008 7:10:14 AM   
Sewerlobster

I'm new to GoA and have just finished my first full campaign. I tried twice before but stopped before finishing because I did not understand the fundamentals of the mechanics of the game. Anyway I finished 1919 w/197 VP and a major victory.

What confuses me is that I somehow managed to cause Britian to surrender. In fact they went before Russia. As a newbie I really was just concentrating on learning the land tactics and really didn't exert a naval threat. I sent the subs on anti-shipping (restricted), but basically sent my transports and half my fleet to the Baltic. I did send fleets to the North Atlantic, but I did not purchase any naval points until late -- mid '17. My Western offensives were early and concentrated on my right through Belgium and into France as far as Lille but not into Epernay. Once there I concentrated on Russia (AH did well). There was no British-Turkish combat at all. So really the only British losses were self-inflicted.

Did I just get lucky? Did my not having a fleet in the North Sea on the 1st turn allow Britian to send and lose too many in defending Belgium?(Come to think of it -- I did corner and kill two large stacks of French and British units in Dunkirk and Ostend early.)

I guess what I do not understand yet since I haven't even played TE, is what would cause Britian to surrender so seemingly easily?
Post #: 1
RE: Britain Surrenders 1st - 3/30/2008 9:31:31 AM   
wargamer123

Sewer Fish... Hmmm

Against the AI I'm sure if the same rules apply to a Human... You may have killed England's Morale so bad she did surrender, a nation surrenders when it goes below 0% percent morale if I am not mistaken.

SO the various morale rules may have caused this... For instance, VPs may have sucked dry some British morale, with losses, etc.... The AI may have misused Transports and accidentally dried itself of food. Usually England doesn't surrender if it doesn't starve, unless you go after it and succeed... Unending victories and Minor Surrenders alone can do damage to one side. Usually not enough to cause a Major to surrender, so I'm guessing unless you killed off 15-20 British Corps and got a morale hit for each... plus other factors, the dumb AI starved itself

(in reply to Sewerlobster)
Post #: 2
RE: Britain Surrenders 1st - 3/30/2008 4:37:35 PM   
Sewerlobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: wargamer123
Sewer Fish... Hmmm

I worked at a wastewater plant for 13 years. Moved up the food chain to drinking water. :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wargamer123
Against the AI I'm sure if the same rules apply to a Human... You may have killed England's Morale so bad she did surrender, a nation surrenders when it goes below 0% percent morale if I am not mistaken.

SO the various morale rules may have caused this... For instance, VPs may have sucked dry some British morale, with losses, etc.... The AI may have misused Transports and accidentally dried itself of food. Usually England doesn't surrender if it doesn't starve, unless you go after it and succeed... Unending victories and Minor Surrenders alone can do damage to one side. Usually not enough to cause a Major to surrender, so I'm guessing unless you killed off 15-20 British Corps and got a morale hit for each... plus other factors, the dumb AI starved itself

Well I did have a victory at the end of each year, AH concentrated on Serbia and they fell in '15, Greece and Romania also fell before Britian and of course Luxemburg and Beligium were gone. I didn't realize that would have an impact on a major. That would sure make the Balkans much more important. As for killing off 15 British corps, I certainly did not do it on the offensive. France remained strong until mid '19 and I certainly did more damage to France and it to itself than Britian -- so I guess the AI starved itself.

Good for me.

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 3
RE: Britain Surrenders 1st - 3/31/2008 6:26:37 AM   
jomni

I just finished playing as Triple Entente. We won by conquering Germany mid 1916 (a quick war). The forntline was 2 hexes from Berlin. Germany AI shifted too many troops to the Eastern Front.

Noticed that the British morale took a minor beating despite few troop loss. This is due to lack of food. The British Isles did not produce much food and most of my captured territory was actually allocated to the French. I believe in your game, starvation has something to do with it. The AI must have not shipped the excess food of the French to support the British population.

< Message edited by jomni -- 3/31/2008 6:30:34 AM >

(in reply to Sewerlobster)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Britain Surrenders 1st Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI