Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/17/2008 12:40:54 PM   
Nemo121

In the LCU Production screen you list the manpower, armaments and vehicle needs for reinforcements and replacements. You also list what M/A/V you have on hand BUT there's no listing for how much you'll produce over the 30 days ( or whatever ) that you are viewing reinforcements for.

It would be helpful if a 4th column could be shown in which Tracker would calculate what M/A/V you will produce at current levels of production over the period of time being viewed. That, in addition to a Total Production listing ( current MAV + MAV to be produced in that period of time ) would help players manage their MAV production a lot better ( and that's a major area in which the Japanese player can get things wrong without realising it so that'd be really useful.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 301
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/17/2008 12:58:48 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121
In the LCU Production screen you list the manpower, armaments and vehicle needs for reinforcements and replacements. You also list what M/A/V you have on hand BUT there's no listing for how much you'll produce over the 30 days ( or whatever ) that you are viewing reinforcements for.

It would be helpful if a 4th column could be shown in which Tracker would calculate what M/A/V you will produce at current levels of production over the period of time being viewed.

I think it is a good idea & I agree many players get this wrong ... but would you want to display the aggregate total (what you have + potential((Factory Building *days) ) /just potential / estimated on average use (global averages +/-) ?

And as you might have read, I still have to implement TO&E properly, so that will be a 5th listing.

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 6/17/2008 1:18:05 PM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 302
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/17/2008 1:08:48 PM   
Nemo121

I think that the totals would be most useful so that people could quickly and easily see " I need x amount in the next 30 or 60 or 180 days ( and I'd definitely take it out to 180 or even 360 days ) and I'm going to be producing  y in the next 30, 60 or 180 days "

It would help them improve their economic planning relatively quickly if presented in that way.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 303
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/17/2008 6:24:43 PM   
Thesix

Hi all,

I have another issue. Please let me know if you prefer I let you know by mail or here in this thread.
The issue is about bases that have been lost to the enemy.
It seems that I still can see their supply stock in the bases view.
But more important, it means that these stocks, the shipyard facilities and probably the same for ressources, Oil, industry and manpower are still counted in my Industry chart as mine. I discovered that by checking total given by the game and founding a difference in shipyard total which was simple to verify. Hong-Kong, lost long time ago, is still counted in my witp chart in repair shipyard.
The total stock difference for Oil, Ressources, Supplies or Manpower (the only one correct for me) and differences in Oil center, Ressources center and Manpower center can then be explained that way.
Hope it helps.
Hervé

< Message edited by Thesix -- 6/17/2008 6:31:04 PM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 304
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/17/2008 6:30:11 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thesix

Hi all,

I have another issue. Please let me know if you prefer I let you know by mail or here in this thread.
But more important, it means that these stocks, the shipyard facilities and probably the same for ressources, Oil, industry and manpower are still counted in my Industry chart as mine. I discovered that by checking total given by the game and founding a difference in shipyard total which was simple to verify. Hong-Kong, lost long time ago is still counted in my witp chart in repair shipyard. The total stock difference for oil, ressources, supplies and Oil center, Ressources center and manpower center (the only one correct for me) can then be explained that way.
Hope it helps.
Hervé

Strange I've never seen that before, the production is controlled by the base side assignment, so I'll do some checking tomorrow and see what I come up with...thanks Herve.

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 6/17/2008 6:41:26 PM >

(in reply to Thesix)
Post #: 305
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/17/2008 11:11:21 PM   
floydg

quote:

Hi all,

But more important, it means that these stocks, the shipyard facilities and probably the same for ressources, Oil, industry and manpower are still counted in my Industry chart as mine. I discovered that by checking total given by the game and founding a difference in shipyard total which was simple to verify. Hong-Kong, lost long time ago, is still counted in my witp chart in repair shipyard.
The total stock difference for Oil, Ressources, Supplies or Manpower (the only one correct for me) and differences in Oil center, Ressources center and Manpower center can then be explained that way.
Hope it helps.
Hervé

Do you see the base details (with supply) in the Bases panel? I just checked and bases lost do show as supply of 0 and no supply details in the panel at the bottom.

Floyd

(in reply to Thesix)
Post #: 306
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/18/2008 12:41:25 AM   
Thesix

Yes, as I MP to Damian this afternoon, I see the Supply for all the bases I have lost since the beginning.
I have created this database with turn 2 and then read almost all turns until turn 39.
Around 30 turns are in the database. I play Allies in PBEM.
In this database, I had freezing in almost all read turns (maybe 20 times), this is probably important.
Then, all the bases I have lost are correctly shown as Japanese when I filter to Japan but only these bases have their column "supply" different than 0.
The total in Ressource and Oil Centers are not correct in the witp chart and the problem in the lost bases seems to be the cause.

Damian told me that he may need the save file and I had an idea to make a quick test in creating a new database with the last turn.
So, I just created a new database on a new folder with the last save file.
And then, in this new database, the Japanese bases have all their Supply column to 0 which is correct.
All the Ressource Center, Oil center, Manpower Center and Repair Shipyard are correct.
I still have differences in Supply, Fuel, Ressources and Oil stocks. Manpower stock is correct. Maybe I'm missing something myself here.

I had also detected another problem in the first db with a specific LCU's oob in the last turn I read today. But in the new database, the LCU which had a problem is also correct.

Then, the problems come from the "read turn" routine I would say.
Hervé

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 307
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/18/2008 12:45:39 AM   
Thesix

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydg

Do you see the base details (with supply) in the Bases panel? I just checked and bases lost do show as supply of 0 and no supply details in the panel at the bottom.

Floyd

Ooops sorry, I just understand your question now.
I have just checked and the answer is No. I see an amount of supply in the column "supply" but I don't see the supply details in the base panel.

< Message edited by Thesix -- 6/18/2008 12:47:19 AM >

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 308
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/18/2008 5:14:54 AM   
floydg

quote:

quote:

Floyd

Ooops sorry, I just understand your question now.
I have just checked and the answer is No. I see an amount of supply in the column "supply" but I don't see the supply details in the base panel.

Okay, I will need to look at the freezing problem. I have your files and hope to look at them soon (and find the problem soon after... ).

(in reply to Thesix)
Post #: 309
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/19/2008 2:21:34 PM   
Nemo121

I there any way to get a global turn by turn readout of improvement in HI, Oil, Resources etc including a breakdown ( at the bottom of the page ) of which bases have increased their HI, resources, etc that turn ?

I am thinking of something which lists HI, Oil, Resources, Manpower, Naval and Merchant yard, armaments and vehicles factories, repair yards and plane and engine factories and shows what the TOTALs ( undifferentiated...) were last turn and this turn and whether there was a net increase or decrease.

Then, below, you could, by clicking on HI, for example, see where it went up and where it went down. By referencing this to the HI screen ( which would how repairing, not repairing etc along with the appropriate arrows to how whether anything repaired last turn ) players could easily see where their factories are working well and which of their bases have some sort of problem.

At present I am having problems building factories at a specific base but I could easily have missed this in-game.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 310
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/19/2008 4:27:28 PM   
ny59giants

I would like to see a column added for the Aircraft data set to have what is the minimum AF size needed for a plane to carry max load. I'm playing Empire's Ablaze and with the different aircraft it would be nice to know this vs. trying to figure it out.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 311
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/19/2008 4:29:44 PM   
Chris21wen

Minor problem
Tracker window cannot be resized horizontally below a fixed value.  It can be made bigger and Verticals OK.

< Message edited by Chris H -- 6/19/2008 4:32:06 PM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 312
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/19/2008 4:36:31 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
I would like to see a column added for the Aircraft data set to have what is the minimum AF size needed for a plane to carry max load. I'm playing Empire's Ablaze and with the different aircraft it would be nice to know this vs. trying to figure it out.

Do you know how this is worked out? I'm not sure without going to the infamous "roll the dice" Matrix search function.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo
I there any way to get a global turn by turn readout of improvement in HI, Oil, Resources etc including a breakdown ( at the bottom of the page ) of which bases have increased their HI, resources, etc that turn ?

We have thought about this, and it is something we are looking into ... Thanks.

Chris: I think Floyd posted about this before, so we do know ... not sure about the solution yet.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 313
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/19/2008 5:45:26 PM   
Thesix

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Do you know how this is worked out? I'm not sure without going to the infamous "roll the dice" Matrix search function.

If think this is what you want:
Page 164 of the manual.
"Level bombers require an airfield equal to 4 + ( bomb load / 6500 ) rounded down. So a B29 requires a size 7 airfield to avoid penalties..."
Good to point out that rules that I had forgotten.

As we are speaking about views improvement, I would like an additional column in the Ship Upgrades view to show the current setting Y/N for each ship.
Thanks
Hervé

< Message edited by Thesix -- 6/19/2008 5:46:19 PM >

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 314
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/19/2008 6:26:13 PM   
n01487477

Thanks Thesix ...There is a manual for this thing ?

Might read the whole thing one day ... but it might make me believe things that may or may not be true

Will talk to Floyd about it ...

(in reply to Thesix)
Post #: 315
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/19/2008 10:04:45 PM   
Nemo121

Thesix is right about those numbers... Remember though single-engined level bombers ( the Japs have a few ) only need a Level 2 airfield to carry their full load. This makes the Ki-32 particularly valuable in the early war period in EA.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 316
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/20/2008 5:44:57 AM   
floydg

quote:

Thesix is right about those numbers... Remember though single-engined level bombers ( the Japs have a few ) only need a Level 2 airfield to carry their full load. This makes the Ki-32 particularly valuable in the early war period in EA.

In Stock, these appear to be rated as "Dive Bomber", not "Level Bomber", so the load restrictions don't apply (just "Level Bomber"), right?

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 317
RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 - 6/20/2008 5:47:21 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Minor problem
Tracker window cannot be resized horizontally below a fixed value.  It can be made bigger and Verticals OK.

Yes, resizing is an issue. Minor one which will probably wait until more pressing needs are taken care of.

Floyd

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 318
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 6/20/2008 12:52:49 PM   
Chris21wen

Another sugestion

On the Leader screen filters that enable both active leaders and active units.  Currently you can only see assign/unassigned and no filter for active units.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 319
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 6/21/2008 3:33:36 AM   
floydg

quote:

Another sugestion

On the Leader screen filters that enable both active leaders and active units.  Currently you can only see assign/unassigned and no filter for active units.

Another good idea. I'd need to add that the item is "delayed" to do that...

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 320
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 6/26/2008 12:42:09 AM   
Nemo121

Suggestions:

1. It'd be really handy to have the ability to remove columns we don't use. E.g. I never care about the "TOE Number" or ID Number in the LCU Production screen and it'd be nice to be able to devote that screen space to other columns I do use.

2. Float Platrol  do NOT show in the Air Production screen. H6Ks etc are listed as FLOAT not FLOAT PATROL so I think you need to fix this designation to get it to synch up properly.

3. The AIR UPGRADE screen works for the first model selected but then no longer works at all for me. No matter what model I select the information is the same as it was for the first model. It is like it is frozen at the first model.

4. When I look at some of the bases where the ALERTS are telling me supplies are less than required I find that same have negative modifiers in front of the tons of supply and some don't. Is this a bug?

5. It'd be great to be able to track supplies, fuel, oil and resources on a turn by turn basis on the SUMMARY screen.

6. Any possibility of making it so that if we double-click on a base on the ALERT page ( or squadron leader) that the programme will take us to that base or pilot. It would just help me to quickly figure out just where this squadron leader who improved his stats was and WHY he improved his stats.

7. AIR GROUPS AND PILOTS screen. Would be great to add LEADERSHIP and AGGRESSION to the INSPIRATION and AIR ratings already there. I suggest Leadership, inspirations, air and aggression as the best order. This would help quickly see where bomber and fighter units had the wrong leaders.

Also when sorting it by HQ ALL of the HQs which have ARMY in their name do not work. I think this is because the name in the drop-down box is different than the name in the column ( column doesn't contain ARMY while drop-down box is ). So I think this is a typo bug and relatively easily fixed.

Lastly, it would be really great if we could re-assign entire regions instead of having to go through base by base.

E.g. I have the Soviet Region, the Manchukuo Region, the Korean Region, the Northern China Region, Southern China and Siam Regions.

Now, I would like to link the Manchukuo and Korean and Northern China regions together so that for game purposes they are viewed as one "Super-Region" ( since the are all linked by rail and road nets) since that's how the game treats them in-game. Sure I can do this by re-assigning EACH BASE to this new super-region but that is tedious and quite buggy in that I have to delete old regions entirely to re-assign units.

This could be done quite simple by creating a "subordination page" and allowing players to flow-chart the relationships between regions. This change really is needed to get the most of the excellent economic data harvesting you have both done.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 321
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 6/26/2008 2:28:49 AM   
n01487477

Nemo,
I'll answer some of the questions you have raised ... others Floyd and I will have to look into ... but thanks.

quote:

Suggestions:

1. It'd be really handy to have the ability to remove columns we don't use. E.g. I never care about the "TOE Number" or ID Number in the LCU Production screen and it'd be nice to be able to devote that screen space to other columns I do use.

This is a good suggestion, but putting a tickbox into each column header would take time and there are other pressing issues at present. I will try to make a simplistic view however for next build.
quote:

2. Float Platrol  do NOT show in the Air Production screen. H6Ks etc are listed as FLOAT not FLOAT PATROL so I think you need to fix this designation to get it to synch up properly.

Actually, they are listed as patrol ... The designation is taken straight from the DB entry ... so I can't fix it, unless I map individual planes, which I'd rather not do. It is a mod thing. Oop, just checked the old build ... the new one is this ...

quote:

3. The AIR UPGRADE screen works for the first model selected but then no longer works at all for me. No matter what model I select the information is the same as it was for the first model. It is like it is frozen at the first model.

This screen is still buggy for EA and for Allies ...(although I've never had a lock up) I'm trying to get it right before next release, but no promises. For stock and BB, it seems to work ok. And I liked your previous idea of an overall picture ... but that is still something I'm thinking about.

quote:

4. When I look at some of the bases where the ALERTS are telling me supplies are less than required I find that same have negative modifiers in front of the tons of supply and some don't. Is this a bug?

This bug we think has been solved for next release ... Floyd has done some great stuff trying to fix this & other incorrect read issues.
quote:

5. It'd be great to be able to track supplies, fuel, oil and resources on a turn by turn basis on the SUMMARY screen.

I think you will be happily surprised by the next build

quote:

Also when sorting it by HQ ALL of the HQs which have ARMY in their name do not work. I think this is because the name in the drop-down box is different than the name in the column ( column doesn't contain ARMY while drop-down box is ). So I think this is a typo bug and relatively easily fixed.

Yes, known issue and should be fixed ... I think it works on the LCU production screen, right ?
quote:

6. Any possibility of making it so that if we double-click on a base on the ALERT page ( or squadron leader) that the programme will take us to that base or pilot. It would just help me to quickly figure out just where this squadron leader who improved his stats was and WHY he improved his stats.

7. AIR GROUPS AND PILOTS screen. Would be great to add LEADERSHIP and AGGRESSION to the INSPIRATION and AIR ratings already there. I suggest Leadership, inspirations, air and aggression as the best order. This would help quickly see where bomber and fighter units had the wrong leaders.

Lastly, it would be really great if we could re-assign entire regions instead of having to go through base by base.

E.g. I have the Soviet Region, the Manchukuo Region, the Korean Region, the Northern China Region, Southern China and Siam Regions.

Now, I would like to link the Manchukuo and Korean and Northern China regions together so that for game purposes they are viewed as one "Super-Region" ( since the are all linked by rail and road nets) since that's how the game treats them in-game. Sure I can do this by re-assigning EACH BASE to this new super-region but that is tedious and quite buggy in that I have to delete old regions entirely to re-assign units.

This could be done quite simple by creating a "subordination page" and allowing players to flow-chart the relationships between regions. This change really is needed to get the most of the excellent economic data harvesting you have both done.

I defer to Floyd about this ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 6/26/2008 2:47:27 AM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 322
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 6/26/2008 3:53:40 AM   
bbbf

One thing I have noticed is that on the ship repair screen, when you select a ship, the history of damage always shows zero for previous turns.

Robert Lee

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 323
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 6/26/2008 4:01:44 AM   
floydg

quote:

Suggestions:

This comes for "free" with the Java table. You can drag columns around by left-clicking on the header and moving it left or right. But that only "stays" for the current session.

Wholesale customization is something we can consider, but I'd prefer to do it in a uniform manner and not ad-hoc (hint, hint, Damian...)

quote:

Defer to Damian.

quote:

My applied mathematics degree has really served me well -- the expression was backwards...

quote:

Which summary screen do you mean?

quote:

I keep thinking of doing that, but then I get these 8-point list of bugs and suggestions that derail that work...

But it has been on my list since the beginning.

quote:

Okay.

quote:

Yeah, that was a simple fix.

quote:

Interesting idea. I'm not sure how much we'd have to re-do, since a lot of filtering and grouping that is based on regions assumes it's not hierarchical.

On a short-term, I could provide some function that "merges" two regions into one.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 324
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 6/26/2008 8:59:52 PM   
mikemike

quote:

Wholesale customization is something we can consider, but I'd prefer to do it in a uniform manner and not ad-hoc (hint, hint, Damian...)

Maybe the perfect solution would be to provide a query manager tailored for the WitPTracker Database, something like the Query Manager in MS Access (or perhaps just something like IBM SPUFI from the DB2 environment, an interface to run user-written SQL query code against the database). Then everybody with the knowledge, time, motivation and energy could roll his own tailor made queries, output being displayed in a dynamically defined grid table. This would of course have to be strictly read-only. I confess I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, but it would save you having to glue all kinds of knobs on to your datasets for people with special requirements.

DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 325
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 6/27/2008 4:06:38 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikemike

quote:

Maybe the perfect solution would be to provide a query manager tailored for the WitPTracker Database, something like the Query Manager in MS Access (or perhaps just something like IBM SPUFI from the DB2 environment, an interface to run user-written SQL query code against the database). Then everybody with the knowledge, time, motivation and energy could roll his own tailor made queries, output being displayed in a dynamically defined grid table. This would of course have to be strictly read-only. I confess I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, but it would save you having to glue all kinds of knobs on to your datasets for people with special requirements.

The information is stored in an SQL database using the HSQLDB engine. This engine is incorporated in OpenOffice 2.0, supposedly.
But writing a generic tool is not easy...

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 326
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 6/27/2008 9:52:13 AM   
Nemo121

Merging two regions would give most of the required functionality and save a lot of time. I am presuming that the merging could be sequential.

E.g. Merge Korea and Manchukuo first then Merge the Korea/Manchukuo Super-region with North Chin and then Merge the Super-region which results from THAT merger with the Soviet Union ( effectively merging Korea, Manchukuo, Soviet Union and North China into one big happy co-prosperity sphere

By SUMMARY screen I meant the INDUSTRY / GLOBAL screen which lists HI, merchant, naval etc reserves. It would be nice to just add supplies, fuel, oil, resources in there.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 327
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 6/28/2008 10:10:54 AM   
Chris21wen

Guys, does tracker work with Vista?

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 328
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 6/28/2008 12:44:22 PM   
n01487477

quote:

I'm using Vista on my laptop to program and to play ... so I don;t think you should have a problem ...
not that I'm a huge fan of Vista, but at least I get less crashes than my old XP box.

So as long as you install JRE version 6 on Vista, you'll be flying ...

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 329
RE: WitPTracker 1.0 - 6/28/2008 2:43:50 PM   
floydg

quote:

Works fine for me...

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1 Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI