Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced Game - 4/15/2008 6:11:17 PM   
Brazil Banzai

I am trying to structure a well-balanced stock scen 15 PBEM game. I can imagine everyone has their own likes/dislikes in as much as the house rules go, but what I am trying to achieve is a balance that allows the japanese player a reasonable chance at a 1943 autovictory, and the allied player a reasonable chance to resist that and utlimately achieve his victory. To that end, I am hoping for input from veteran WitP players. Again, I am not trying to achieve historically accurate re-enactment, just a fairly matched game.

Sub-doctrine - on for both
FoW - on
Advanced weather - on
Allied damage control - on
Historical first turn - OFF. The Japanese may invade anywhere and everywhere they want Turn 1.
Variable setup - OFF
Reinforcements - Fixed

Dec 7th surpise - On with the following restrictions. The Japanese are limited to 1 port attack. However, Force Z must be formed and must stay East of Singapore and North of Borneo. What is left of Force Z may retire only after it encounters the first air attack that damages the PoW or Repulse, and/or is badly mauled by Japanese BBs.

PDU - on
Turn cycle - 1 Day

Subs may only be used for patrol/minelaying missions. No evacuating of allied cadres. No sub commando landings.

Allies may alter course for TFs already formed without restriction. No new TFs may be formed until Dec 8, with the exception of supply missions which may be formed but not ordered out of port until Dec 8.

Allied air transfer missions are prohibited until Dec 8

Non-base hex landings - I see this as a plug variable. With the above setup, is the game already balanced, or would an additional restriction that limited what the Japanese could achieve early pull things a bit in the allies favor? If non-base hex landings are permitted to balance the game, would a restriction of at least a brigade-sized landing be reasonable, to counter the potential tactic of a handful of troops unrealistically blocking the retreat path of a much larger force and thus forcing a surrender?

Thanks!!!

BB

< Message edited by Brazil Banzai -- 4/15/2008 6:14:51 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced ... - 4/15/2008 6:35:09 PM   
Crimguy

I'd drop the Force Z restriction.  Just because the British ships got whacked early on doesn't mean it had to happen.  I also think their impact is minor at best.  If they're dumb enough to hang around SRA, Jap bombers will get to them eventually.

I'd also add restrictions to the size of ASW TF's.  Many have settled on 6 ships.

Most of your rules seem to focus on getting the most historical start possible, but don't go into what happens after December 8.  IMHO, the game will lose sight of reality even with 40+ rules, so I'd just forget about it and have fun.  AE will be out someday anyway, and you'll be restarting ;-D

(in reply to Brazil Banzai)
Post #: 2
RE: Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced ... - 4/15/2008 6:39:47 PM   
Brazil Banzai

Yes I agree the game will lose sight of reality, but that isn't necessarily a problem. I just want both players to have a reasonable chance, which enhances the overall fun of things imo.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 3
RE: Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced ... - 4/15/2008 6:42:05 PM   
Charbroiled

I agee with Crimguy about Z-Force.

Some HRs I like for balance:

Manchuria garrison units can not leave Manchuria without change of HQ.

50 planes/AF level to a Max of 115%

Only Allied 16 and 48 plane LB groups can be 4e.

6 PTs per TF max.

LBs (both sides) can only do operations from Size 4 AF or above (some specific types using smaller bases may be negotiated).

< Message edited by Charbroiled -- 4/15/2008 6:44:39 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced ... - 4/16/2008 3:53:33 AM   
1275psi

Got a game going that is into 43 and it is playing extremely -and I mean extremely well-has a great feel -with the following

Size of field equals number of groups
ie, size 4 = say, 2 fighter groups, 1 bomber group, 1 recon group
40% CAP limit - for everyone
Max 4CV per hex -or 6CVL

going to march to somewhere -5 prep points before you can
Same for loading troops.

This has worked really, really well -the airbattles especially for stock have been quite realistic , and the pace of operations also.

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 5
RE: Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced ... - 4/16/2008 4:06:48 AM   
Brazil Banzai

Good to hear 1275psi!

Are those the only rules you are using?

Did you have any turn 1 restrictions?

BB

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 6
RE: Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced ... - 4/16/2008 4:18:00 AM   
marky

some of that is missing the point of the game 1275

BTW wat does 1275 mean?

Post #: 7
RE: Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced ... - 4/16/2008 4:41:50 AM   
John 3rd

I'd also add the 10,000 Ft minimum altitude for laser-guided, never -miss-any ship Allied Four-Engine Bombers.  It would be better at 15,000 Ft but 10,000 Ft helps some...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 8
RE: Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced ... - 4/16/2008 4:54:58 AM   
marky

they miss even wen i send em in at 6000

all the JFBs whine about it but i dont see any decrease in usage of...

THE WIRE GUIDED LONG LANCE

< Message edited by marky -- 4/16/2008 4:55:27 AM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 9
RE: Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced ... - 4/16/2008 5:10:56 AM   
Brazil Banzai

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I'd also add the 10,000 Ft minimum altitude for laser-guided, never -miss-any ship Allied Four-Engine Bombers.  It would be better at 15,000 Ft but 10,000 Ft helps some...

Yeah my house rules already provide for that one doesn't it go without saying?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 10
RE: Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced ... - 4/16/2008 7:22:00 AM   
1275psi

Hi brazil

personally I think the choice of opponent is more important than the rules -want a "nice feel type game" -play me.
Want carnage and death -play Marky

I am Japan in that game -and I played a self imposed rule -no invasions with out a CAP/LRCAP -and all though I invaded India -I deliberately stopped after taking only the bottom corner -cutting off Burma

We are both playing trying to be as realistic as possible - more important than who wins to us, the house rules just help air combat

Normal ASW ship limits, no 4E naval attack under 15000 feet -PTs from size 9 ports only, usual stuff

1275PSI - the steam pressure of the boilers I used to drive Marky.

And Marky -I know exactly what it feels like to be a sexed starved sailor with a hooker in Bangkok

Post #: 11
RE: Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced ... - 4/16/2008 7:51:59 AM   
marky

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1275psi

Want carnage and death -play Marky

thats just how i like it, and its most deff a compliment

ahh i seee

and indeed thats how my games goin with bruno
wish i coulda gone into the Navy, life had other plans for me tho

carnage and death and him rippin his hair out besieging midway for the last 15 game days

jan 6th- jan 21 1942

10124 troops
45 ships
57 carrier planes

< Message edited by marky -- 4/16/2008 7:54:17 AM >

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Stock Scen 15 House Rules - Structuring a Balanced Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI