Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FOF error : Runtime Library - Assertion Failed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> FOF error : Runtime Library - Assertion Failed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FOF error : Runtime Library - Assertion Failed - 4/21/2008 4:09:55 PM   
chrispanton

Hi all,

Just downloaded Forge of Freedom last night, seemed to install ok, all very exciting... anticipation and excitement growing... Then tried to run the game and about 75% through loading I get the following message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Assertion Failed

And well, hopefully the screen shot uploaded says it best!

Any clues? Thoughts? Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: FOF error : Runtime Library - Assertion Failed - 4/22/2008 5:38:11 AM   
ericbabe

That's an out-of-memory error in the graphics allocation section.  Try to free up resources, shut down other applications and so forth, or try increasing your virtual memory.  You could also try running in low-animation mode (see the readme.txt file for info on that.)

(in reply to chrispanton)
Post #: 2
RE: FOF error : Runtime Library - Assertion Failed - 4/22/2008 3:13:30 PM   
chrispanton

Ok, thanks i'll try that as a start...

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: FOF error : Runtime Library - Assertion Failed - 4/23/2008 11:25:53 AM   
chrispanton

Ok, so I am not running any other applications, I have increased virtual memory (though I do seem to meet the requirements anyway and I have not had any problems running other games that I would think I would have more problems with such as MTW2, Company of Heroes etc..) but still get the same message.

I checked the readme file to look into the low animation modes. However it seems that to do this you need to change a line in the forgeoffreedom.ini file that the readme says is created after the game has run once. So as the game doesnt run the file hasnt yet been created for me to change it.... :((

Anybody get any ideas on this one? Be really nice to get this running

Post #: 4
RE: FOF error : Runtime Library - Assertion Failed - 4/23/2008 3:37:21 PM   
ericbabe

What sort of operating system are you running?  Do you have any unusual system configurations (RAID array, VMWare, etc.)?

Here is a copy of my ForgeOfFreedom.ini file, to which I've added the LOWANIM entry.  Just create a ForgeOfFreedom.ini file in your Windows directory (or it should work to put it in with the ForgeOfFreedom.exe file) and then copy the contents below to that file using Notepad:

[DEFAULT]
LOWANIM=1
Advanced Supply=0
Upkeep Costs=0
Governors=0
Population Modifiers=0
Research Upgrades=0
Advanced Buildings=0
Greater Population=0
Richer Economy=0
Poorer Economy=0
Impressment=0
European Diplomacy=0
No European War=0
Unit Attrition=0
Total Victory=0
No Time Limit=0
Staff Ratings=0
Special Abilities=0
Unit Disposition=0
Upgrade Weapons=0
Fog of War=0
Hide Enemy Strength=0
Unit Attributes=0
Initiative Checks=0
Slow Winter Movement=0
Allow CSA Emancipation=0
No Starting Legendary Units=0
Use Generals=0
Randomized Stats=0
Randomize Start Dates=0
Hidden Stats=0
More Generals=0
Fewer Generals=0
Always Quick Combat=0
Always Instant Combat=0
Always Detail Option=0
Near Start=0
Far Start=0
Victory Locations=0
Out of Command=0
Attacker Time Limit=0
Faster Sieges=0
Slower Sieges=0
Difficulty=3
ATTITUDEPIE=0
SLIDEPIECES=1
OPTION0=1
OPTION1=1
OPTION2=1
OPTION3=1
OPTION4=1
OPTION5=1
OPTION6=1
OPTION7=1
OPTION8=1
OPTION9=1
OPTION10=1
OPTION11=0
OPTION12=1
OPTION13=1
OPTION14=1
OPTION15=1
OPTION16=1
OPTION17=1
OPTION18=1
OPTION19=1
OPTION20=1
OPTION21=1
OPTION22=1
OPTION23=1
OPTION24=1
OPTION25=0
OPTION26=1
OPTION27=1
OPTION28=1
OPTION29=1
OPTION30=1
OPTION31=1
OPTION32=1
OPTION33=1
OPTION34=1
OPTION35=1
OPTION36=1
OPTION37=1
OPTION38=1
OPTION39=0
OPTION40=0
OPTION41=0
OPTION42=0
OPTION43=0
OPTION44=0
OPTION45=1
OPTION46=1
OPTION47=1
OPTION48=1
OPTION49=0
OPTION50=1
OPTION51=1
OPTION52=1
OPTION53=1
OPTION54=1

Post #: 5
RE: FOF error : Runtime Library - Assertion Failed - 4/24/2008 9:47:44 AM   
chrispanton

There is a possibility that because the Ram is 2x512 in a Raid array that this is the problem, but as said this is the first time that I've met game requirements and its not worked. But perhaps this is it. Upgrade time was coming anyway...

Thanks for the ini code. That did actually work to get the game loaded in low animation mode, which was great....... Except when I then tried to create a new game then it crashed :((

I am losing faith that this will work unless there are any other tricks I can pull.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 6
RE: FOF error : Runtime Library - Assertion Failed - 4/24/2008 3:04:24 PM   
Comrade_Blabsky

This happened to me for the third time yesterday.  Previously, I had to reinstall the game to get it to work again, and I didn't try to use saved games.

To avoid starting from scratch again, I cut out the saves and moved them to another folder.  Then, I used the wizard to uninstall.  But then I checked and saw that the game was still there; when I tried to delete manually it gave an error message about a corrupted file (Mugshot/gen317 or the like).  I manually deleted around that, renamed the old Matrix folder, and then rebooted.  My checkdisc did something when I started up, then I re-installed the game.  My saved game worked fine when I moved it into the new save folder.

This happened after a detailed battle ended, and turn end.  Previously, I had a detailed battle in progress saved. This error message comed up during the "famous quote" screen, or when trying to load local game.

Also, during detail battle, I get memory message (increase virtual mem) even though I have that set higher than usual. But it works fine, and using the low animation isn't nearly as fun as the full animation!

Wonderful game.  I can put up with a few glitches or adventures.  But the cavalry crash is frustrating; I'm hiding all my cav's in rocks when there is enemy cav around.

Post #: 7
RE: FOF error : Runtime Library - Assertion Failed - 4/24/2008 6:44:54 PM   
ericbabe

Jockass: I don't know about having VM in a raid array, there could be something related to that, but all our memory allocations are just standard calls to the Windows OS, so if it's not allocating properly because of that, I'm not sure even how to check whether the raid is a problem.  It sounds as though virtual memory is failing in general, so low-animation gets you in, but then when it eventually has to make a VM call when creating the game later, then it fails.

Blabsky: if you have save files right before a cavalry on cavalry problem, please send them to me, as we have not been able to duplicate this issue.  I remember one person reporting this before, but we weren't able to reproduce it using the save files he sent us.

I don't know about problems with corrupted files or save game files not working unless moved into a new folder.  Is it possible your hard drive has a corrupt sector or something?

(in reply to Comrade_Blabsky)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> FOF error : Runtime Library - Assertion Failed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI