Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: When will this game be released?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> RE: When will this game be released? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: When will this game be released? - 8/18/2008 4:25:14 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

That's common in the wargame industry unfortunately.  And unfortunately I think shortsighted. 

It's common because many take the view demos of such games, regardless of how good they are, just don't gain any sales overall - or at least enough of them to justify the time in making one. Any wargamers swayed the right way are likely to be outnumbered by newcomers put off by "this SUCKS" posts scattered about from kiddies trying the demo and expecting an RTS game and/or something to put their top-end GPUs to work. The other reason is, in all honesty, how many people ever put the time in to really understand, say, a complex TBS game in a demo, as in reading a 150 page manual? Demos only ever give a surface impression... and all of what really counts in this case is 'under the hood'.

Yeah but the negative posts work both way. For instance, thats the sole reason I've still not purchased EiA and a few other Matrix Titles. A demo would allow me to judge for myself how accurate the complaints are or are not. Tons of games here get loads of negative posts. If not here than elsewhere. Like any game you have to chuck the "this is the best game ever" fanboi posts as well. And that really doesn't leave much of a middle ground for evaluation.

The worst part is, unlike most any other purchase (Be it board wargame, PC game or even xbox game) if I don't like a Matrix Game.. I'm totally stuck with it.. Be it a $40 game or a $90 one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... if a demo doesn't increase sales its either a poorly made demo or for a bad game to begin with...

Your 150 page manual reference doesnt work.. Plenty of very complicated games have had very well received demos. It all starts with an intuitive interface, ideally the ability for the game to teach you, and a way to build additional concepts on top of basic ones. Im not going to play any game where I have to read 150 pages right out of the gate. Good games addon rules as you go along. The basics should be enough to get you hooked... Not the nightime starshell rules you finally get to in scenario 97 that are detailed on page 149 of the rules booklet...

And, ironically enough, even the boardgame Lock 'n Load has a free downloadable demo game. How the heck can a board game version get a demo, but not the PC version ?!?!?

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 31
RE: When will this game be released? - 8/19/2008 10:14:55 PM   
himmelstoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veldor

And, ironically enough, even the boardgame Lock 'n Load has a free downloadable demo game. How the heck can a board game version get a demo, but not the PC version ?!?!?

well "spoken"! and that the dev(s) are responding so rarely shows clearly that they dont give a rats ass about our opinion. guess they still make too much $ on the stuff they make.

sadly enough will i be one of those morons that still gona buy this game when it comes out probably ending up bitching on the forums about how bad it is and that i again have wasted my $ on this "scheisse". when will i ever learn!!

best,

himmelstoss

tell it like you think it is!

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 32
RE: When will this game be released? - 8/23/2008 12:31:43 PM   
Terminus

Or maybe they're not responding because they're working on the product, and used to ignoring being denigrated and called stupid names by small people like you?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to himmelstoss)
Post #: 33
RE: When will this game be released? - 8/23/2008 4:13:06 PM   
himmelstoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

.... called stupid names by small people like you?

cant recall calling anybody names. but if you want i can start that by calling you an absolute Brown Nose.

bet you carry actual 5 stars on your shoulder, so if you can find it in your heart, forgive a small person like me.

gruss nach denschmark,

himmelstoss

tell it like you think it is!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 34
RE: When will this game be released? - 8/25/2008 1:23:31 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Or maybe they're not responding because they're working on the product, and used to ignoring being denigrated and called stupid names by small people like you?

Ok………………….we’ll just stop asking then

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 35
RE: When will this game be released? - 9/1/2008 10:06:44 PM   
sjd0309

quote:

Heh. That doesn't make much sense does it?

Maybe Mark didn't find that there was much of an increase in sales directly related to his demo for the board game...

Cheers!

I am nothin but cannon fodder in the grand artillery barrage called life!

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 36
RE: When will this game be released? - 9/2/2008 1:15:38 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: sjd0309

Heh. That doesn't make much sense does it?

It makes perfect sense. Compare the time involved in preparing a .pdf or two and preparing a game demo. Going back to my earlier post nobody expects a downloable demo for a board game to play like Supreme Commander, either.

(in reply to himmelstoss)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> RE: When will this game be released? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI