Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

..just observed ..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> ..just observed .. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
..just observed .. - 9/29/2000 12:53:00 PM   
Arralen

Started "Preparing the Way" campaign some days before to test out v4.0, and one of those !*§%"§! Do 217 blasted a whole platoon plus Scout Car out of existence. (Bomb damage is way to high now, I hope this is corrected in v4.1, or I'll have to go through all OOBs and halve their stats ) So I tried out calling for reenforcements, and promptly 2 Grants and 2 Greyhounds carrying Bazooka Teams arrived. Won this one, but that's not what matters. After the battle I found out that the reenforcements have been added to my core force ?! .. and this shouldn't be the case, right? Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1
Post #: 1
- 9/29/2000 6:49:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

You are such a good leader they want to follow you!! Bombs are devestating weapons...we feel the effectiveness is a proper balance between blast and suppression. But if you disagree - thats why we put the editor in - no two people will ever agree on every game stat.

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 2
- 9/29/2000 6:51:00 PM   
Fredde

Balanced to the cost of the aircrafts and that they can fly only one mission with bombs i think it's correct that they hurt badly. Also, they only do that much damage when you have infantry/unprotected vehicles on clear ground.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 3
- 9/29/2000 7:13:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Fredde: Balanced to the cost of the aircrafts and that they can fly only one mission with bombs i think it's correct that they hurt badly. Also, they only do that much damage when you have infantry/unprotected vehicles on clear ground.
You're wrong here, sadly. The scout car as well as the Inf was advancing slowly (1hex/turn) through some tree hexes .. git blasted away like nothing. Even a scout sqd 2 hexes away in a stone building got 1 casualty and heavy depression, err, suppression from 4 250kg bombs landing 100m away. Not what I would call realistic - if it would have been the really big ones, ok, but this is a bit exaggerated IMHO. And, Paul, I really don't want to have to go all 28 OOBs and change some ..200 ?? bombs and heavy arty pieces . that's no fun really. Maybe we can find a "middle of the road"-agreement most player can get along with .. damage was a bit low in 2.x, but in 4.0 it's a bit too high - middle of it would be good, wouldn't it? Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 4
- 9/29/2000 7:21:00 PM   
Fredde

Ouch, i have only seen those casualties on clear terrain.. I'd better watch out

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 5
- 9/29/2000 7:46:00 PM   
Kharan

You must also take price into consideration. The OOB cost of one DO 217E-2 is 149 points. With the same amount of points, you can buy about 10 rifle squads. Which purchase will do you more good? Which one would you rather face in battle? Generally I'd say the infantry is more reliable and more easily made use of, but with C2 it isn't certain. With the Dornier, you must take the risk of it being out of contact when you need it, the risk of it bombing the wrong place and even the risk of it being shot down before it does anything. The Dornier can still be useful in a situation where you have a dug-in opponent and a blind charge (even with 10 more squads) would be nothing but massacre. [This message has been edited by Kharan (edited September 29, 2000).]

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 6
- 9/29/2000 9:27:00 PM   
Mac_MatrixForum

I like the new bomb stats, finally bombs are an alternative to rockets/cannons, but the damage to range 2 hexes is sometimes a bit much (like that 1 casualty into a building which is a good example). Otherwise, I have no problem with bombing runs. I got frequently bombed in a 20 battle generated campaign. I used to buy some AA which helped. I don't think a human would normally buy that many planes, though. As said, I'd rather take 10 infantry squads so I don't think the planes are at all dominating. ------------------ Markku "Mac" Rontu "Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Sheridan in B5

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 7
- 9/29/2000 10:31:00 PM   
Warhorse

Hey guys, this has been addressed in 4.1, to my knowledge, but thanks for the input, it's always appreciated, I too felt the wrath of the dreaded bomb syndrome, ..not pretty!! ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 8
- 9/29/2000 10:53:00 PM   
BobD

quote:

Originally posted by Arralen: Do 217 blasted a whole platoon plus Scout Car out of existence.
I would not have thought that the entire air support mechanism could be invalidated by a single observation...! If this happens all the time, well maybe there is a problem, but based on the randomness built into the combat system I would accept occasional such events as meaning, e.g., the plane was lucky enough to get a critical hit and land a bomb smack in the middle of the squad - maybe they were just moving out at that point.... I don't have a problem with this happening occasionally. Dispersion of the effect is fine too and well documented, although perhaps with aircraft I would expect this to happen only in the direction of the attack (i.e. not to the side too much). I have found air support to be totally varied - most of the time attacking aircraft have done little or no real damage (suppression yes) : in a scenario I played where there was quite a lot of air support enemy attacking fighters did no damage, except once when they popped a bomb right on a defensive squad, killed a load of the men, and dispersed the rest. Frustrating, but as it does not happen all the time I reckon that it is right. My vote is: do not change the rules too much! Then again, what "has been addressed in v4.1"?? Best regards Bob

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 9
- 9/29/2000 11:03:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by BobD: I would not have thought that the entire air support mechanism could be invalidated by a single observation...! If this happens all the time, well maybe there is a problem, but based on the randomness built into the combat system I would accept occasional such events as meaning ... My vote is: do not change the rules too much! Then again, what "has been addressed in v4.1"??
It happens nearly all the time .. would you like to have the savegame to try ?? (I save every turn in another slot when I'm testing new version ..) Never said "change the rules very much - that's what happend up to now IMHO - at first, lots complaints that aircraft do too few damage, and now they blast everything they attack to pieces .. there should be something in between that's just right, shouldn't it? Dunno if there's something changed in v4.1 - only thing I noticed that Arty still does more casualties in neighbouring hexes than in the target hex. Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 10
- 9/29/2000 11:24:00 PM   
Kharan

This is probably the thing that has changed in v4.1: 34. Near blast damage reduced to 67% of current value vs. infantry.
quote:

Never said "change the rules very much - that's what happend up to now IMHO - at first, lots complaints that aircraft do too few damage, and now they blast everything they attack to pieces.
You're talking about the heavy bombers here? Don't generalize all aircraft . I don't think that even in v4.0 the bombers are too effective compared to their OOB costs (if they were, every DO217 on every run would annihilate 10 squads). They may be too effective vs infantry compared to the general idea of realism. In v4.1 they may be closer to realism, but also further away from "point-worthiness". It's not a easy thing to balance . Think about it this way: whenever a Dornier bombs your troops, the AI just lost 10 squads . [This message has been edited by Kharan (edited September 29, 2000).]

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 11
- 9/30/2000 4:18:00 AM   
Dave_R

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arralen: [B] You're wrong here, sadly. The scout car as well as the Inf was advancing slowly (1hex/turn) through some tree hexes .. git blasted away like nothing. Even a scout sqd 2 hexes away in a stone building got 1 casualty and heavy depression, err, suppression from 4 250kg bombs landing 100m away. Not what I would call realistic - if it would have been the really big ones, ok, but this is a bit exaggerated IMHO. Take it from me having a 250kg bomb going off just a 100yards from you is frigging depressing! I discovered that the hard way, curtisy of the Argentine Air force. It might not have that dangerouse I guess, but I was busy making like a mole and not to kean on looking to see what the exact blast radius was!

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> ..just observed .. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI