Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Killing the Ottomans

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Killing the Ottomans Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Killing the Ottomans - 5/13/2008 12:46:00 AM   
BossGnome

Hi, I was just wondering how people mostly went about bringing the ottoman empire to its knees in this game, or if an "Ottoman first" policy would even be advisable at all. Has anyone ever pulled off a successful Gallipoli or Smyrna landing? How many forces do TE players usually like to devote to the Ottomans? I would like to hear about everybody's experiences

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne
Post #: 1
RE: Killing the Ottomans - 5/13/2008 8:47:29 PM   
geoffreyg

I've recently had successful Gallipoli landings in a couple of PBEM games - best to do it straightaway before the Ottomans can send a second Corps there. Supply not great but Constantinople is certainly a possibility so long as the British Corps are not needed on the WF.

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 2
RE: Killing the Ottomans - 5/14/2008 12:02:29 PM   
SMK-at-work

I've actully defeated landings at Smyrna late in hte war - literally pushed hte allies back into the sea with Germans hurriedly railed in - anything is possible, but Geoffrey is right - if you can afford the corps then early is probably best.

However the easiest way to hurt the Turks is through Palestine and Mesopotamia - there's quite a few city points on offer there if you have resources.

(in reply to geoffreyg)
Post #: 3
RE: Killing the Ottomans - 5/14/2008 5:15:54 PM   
Franck

IMHO The best way to do something against the Ottomans is to attack Early and not to go for a complete surrender... 8 Russian Corps deployed to attack on the second turn can easily get to the 2 ressources hex and hurt the Ottoman army while a British HQ and Corp in India will take another ressource hex there. You have just insured yourself the turk will not lend ressource to germany.

Wich is IMHO the best thing to do. Russia won't miss the corps if Germany is going west. And if germany is going east, I usually retreat for the couple first turn, just making a stand at some important point when the Germans has divided his trust ( Usually one in the south targeting Ukrainian grains, one in the north going for Riga and the Food hex and on in the center going for Poland and the 2 food hexes.) So you wont miss the corps with the russian anyway. And Britain doesn't have a better use of the HQ than taking out the turks.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Killing the Ottomans Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI