Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Priorities for 1.03

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: Priorities for 1.03 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Priorities for 1.03 - 5/20/2008 7:18:41 AM   
no_dice

Hmm, wish list time? :)

1) Alternate great powers rules.
2) More Kingdoms. Italy
3) Ability to choose which provinces to comprise a kingdom.

ie Don't force powers to add all the polish provinces they own to Poland when it's created. It's a great dis-incentive to the Russian and Prussian players to create Poland. (Look at what provinces Russia histocally added when it created the Kingdom of Poland after 1815. Why would Prussia add Magdeburg to the Confederation of the Rhine - AK the German Empire - when it was already part of their home turf.)

Some kind of screen where you can select provinces (unavailable ones could be greyed out) when a Kingdom is created would do the trick and hopefully wouldn't be difficult to code.

4) Can you set the length of time for lent corps/leaders to be borrowed to somthing other other than a turn by turn basis (ie quarterly). Perhaps leave players the ability to withdraw lent corps each turn though..

5) Add districts to existing countries on a limited basis (ie give Norway to Sweden or add newly conquered provinces to Poland.)

Cheers!

no dice

"Don't try this at home kids, I'm a trained professional!"

< Message edited by no_dice -- 5/20/2008 7:20:09 AM >

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 31
RE: Priorities for 1.03 - 5/21/2008 6:44:09 AM   
Minedog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Minedog:

Changing the move order does not do it. Changing the move order is easy, you're right BUT what about combat? There would still be a combat phase at the end of EACH land phase thus you're not allowing allies to attack together. Delaying combat until the end of certain sequences is a problem. I would have to allow multiple MPs' forces to trigger combat in one MP's combat phase. This is where it gets tricky.
Again, I would ask what shortcomings does the loaned corps function have that I could change to make it better?

I understand it is tricky, made more so by the wandering French and British move cycle position, BUT this is the key and cornerstone feature of the multiplayer game. Combined movement means these major powers are treated as one movement phase, or more practically, one movement phase of multiple parts. Supply and battle are not determined until the end of the total parts of the movement phase.

Talking here mainly from experience with the boardgame rather than the computer game, a combined move is a sequence of nations moving, so for example in a Russian, Austrian & Prussian alliance combined move, the nations move in order (and in the boardgame that is any sequence chosen, eg. Prussia, then Russian then Austria), then there is a supply step, then there is a battle step.

So there are three processes here
1. determining the movement order in the combined move step
2. determining supply at the end of the total combined movement
3. determining battle command.

From a non-programmer point of view;
Step 1 comprises a lengthy list of turn sequence options, possibly made selective by determining Combined movement in the Diplomacy phase. If major powers can be grouped, the group position is determined by the last moving major power in the Phase, and it should then be possible to determine the group movement order in the start of Land and Naval Phase of the last moving Major Power. Taking the example forward, Russian, Austrian and Prussian land units all move in the Prussian Land step. They could then chose to move Prussia, Russia, Austria.

Step 2 requires a major power actually actively paying corps supply. This runs at odds with the computer game procedure of paying supply by default. Fundamentally I think active paying of supply (and default forage) is a better solution both for later integration with the optional depot limits rule, and I suspect it would bring focus to the AI. So continuing the example, Prussia pays to supply some corps, then Russia, then Austria. This might be expedited by allowing depots to be set to allow other major powers to use them for supply.

Step 3. Actually the easiest of the three. Command of the battle goes to the highest leader of the major power with the most corps, unless they have no leader. Losses are allocated proportionally, with the commander determining the odd losses. So for example, a battle with 4 Prussian, 3 Austrian and 2 Russian corps and an Austrian and Russian leader, the Austrian leader is in command and runs the battle for all purposes. Assuming the corps are of equal size, 4/9ths of the casualties are Prussian, 3/9th Austrian and 2/9th Russian.

Strictly speaking, in EiA boardgame terms, loaned corps are something taken as a peace condition in a surrender, and they are returned to their owner once 50% of the corps are lost through any means. Over the years there have been many abuses of this "loan", transporting them out to sea, or marooning them on islands. Marching them into the desert etc. Ergo, as a player, I would never loan my corps or fleets to another player. About the only advantage I could see in loaned corps would be for the AI to turn over control to an allied major power, mainly because the AI lacks any tactical or strategic focus.

This is a LOT of reprogramming I suspect, BUT it is the fundamental basis of EiA. The sequence of play is pretty much where every rule set begins, and if that fails, so does the intent of many other subsequent rules. Without combined movement there is so much lost from the game IMHO as to make it a French walkover, and loses much of the diplomatic aspects of the game.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 32
RE: Priorities for 1.03 - 5/21/2008 11:09:48 AM   
bresh

quote:

Step 3. Actually the easiest of the three. Command of the battle goes to the highest leader of the major power with the most corps, unless they have no leader. Losses are allocated proportionally, with the commander determining the odd losses. So for example, a battle with 4 Prussian, 3 Austrian and 2 Russian corps and an Austrian and Russian leader, the Austrian leader is in command and runs the battle for all purposes. Assuming the corps are of equal size, 4/9ths of the casualties are Prussian, 3/9th Austrian and 2/9th Rus

I think this is reference to following EIA-rules:
10.6.1.1 CHOOSING OR DETERMINING A COMMANDER: If there is only one leader present on a side at a combat, that leader automatically commands. Otherwise, the commander is determined as follows:
10.6.1.1.1 Commanders For Allied Armies: If several leaders are present on the same side at a combat then the leader commanding the whole army must be a leader of the major power with the greatest number of corps present. If there are equal greatest numbers, the major power providing the leader may be chosen by the controlling players by mutual agreement from among those major powers or by competitive unmodified die rolls.
10.6.1.1.2 Commanders Among Other Leaders: If there are several leaders from the one major power, the leader with the highest seniority rating is chosen. "A" is a senior rating to "B" is a senior rating to "C" is a senior rating to "D" If there is more than one leader of the same highest seniority rating then the controlling player may choose which leader to use.

Note this, might be bit harder to code :
10.6.1.1.3 Reinforcing Leaders Taking Command: If a reinforcing leader arrives during a combat, it takes command only if from the same major power as the present commander and has a higher seniority rating or if there is currently no leader.

Kind Regards
Bresh

< Message edited by bresh -- 5/21/2008 11:12:17 AM >

(in reply to Minedog)
Post #: 33
RE: Priorities for 1.03 - 5/21/2008 2:48:49 PM   
Minedog

quote:

ORIGINAL: bresh

Note this, might be bit harder to code :
10.6.1.1.3 Reinforcing Leaders Taking Command: If a reinforcing leader arrives during a combat, it takes command only if from the same major power as the present commander and has a higher seniority rating or if there is currently no leader.

I think the functionality of a reinforcing leader taking command is already programmed, alibi not for an allied force. I guess theoretically this means the control of the battle should pass to another player, but realistically and logistically it would be better if the original controller finished the battle day at least.

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 34
RE: Priorities for 1.03 - 5/21/2008 3:20:37 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Correct, the reinforcing leader taking command should already be there???

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to Minedog)
Post #: 35
RE: Priorities for 1.03 - 5/21/2008 6:38:52 PM   
bresh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Correct, the reinforcing leader taking command should already be there???

Yes for one MP force.
If a reinforcing force of the same MP, arrives with a leader of higher senior ranking/or same and better it works fine now.

But how does it work if another MP reinforces and his leader is "senior"/"same but better leader" in ranking to the commanding leader ?

In EIA the commanding leader would stay in command.

Kind Regards
Bresh

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 36
RE: Priorities for 1.03 - 5/22/2008 12:50:02 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Technically right now, I don't think you could pull in another MP leader???
I'll have to try this...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: Priorities for 1.03 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI