Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sub Combat in AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Sub Combat in AE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sub Combat in AE - 5/28/2008 10:02:53 AM   
Pascal_slith

Will it be possible to give submarines more realistic orders like 'shadow' detected surface ships/TF or 'shadow and night attack' or simply 'shadow and attack'? This would be closer to how subs with high relative surface speeds would have acted against ships/TFs that were slower (esp. merchant/transport convoys)....

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

Post #: 1
RE: Sub Combat in AE - 5/28/2008 10:11:36 AM   
wild_Willie2

No, the engine is not advanced enough for these kind of orders....

We are lucky to get patrolzones and mid movement intercepts into the game engine (which is basically a DOS game on steroids).... Maybe if there will ever be a WITP2....

You can also reason that as subs are ALREADY folowing TF's to attack them (yes they do that even without orders) it's already in the system.... Just not in the way you like it..

< Message edited by wild_Willie2 -- 5/28/2008 10:13:31 AM >

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Pascal_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Sub Combat in AE - 5/28/2008 10:33:13 AM   
Pascal_slith

At this rate we'll see WITP 2 when I'm retired in 20 years... Unless I win the lottery?

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 3
RE: Sub Combat in AE - 5/28/2008 1:49:41 PM   
John Lansford

Do you mean that subs will follow TF's in AE or that they do this already in WitP?

Post #: 4
RE: Sub Combat in AE - 5/28/2008 2:07:32 PM   
Kereguelen

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

Do you mean that subs will follow TF's in AE or that they do this already in WitP?

Computer controlled Submarine TF's already did this in WITP.

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 5
RE: Sub Combat in AE - 5/28/2008 6:52:51 PM   
bradfordkay

As far as I can tell, this occurs only if the sub is already on computer control when it sights that TF. I have tried switching subs from human control to computer control when they're in the same hex with a sighted TF and have never had them follow that TF - but it could just be my bad luck with die rolls that is preventing this...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 6
RE: Sub Combat in AE - 5/28/2008 7:37:54 PM   
Kereguelen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

As far as I can tell, this occurs only if the sub is already on computer control when it sights that TF. I have tried switching subs from human control to computer control when they're in the same hex with a sighted TF and have never had them follow that TF - but it could just be my bad luck with die rolls that is preventing this...

Yes, noticed (and tried) the same. Always attributed this to my own bad luck as well.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 7
RE: Sub Combat in AE - 5/28/2008 9:29:29 PM   
John Lansford

Hmmmp.  It seems every time I put my subs on CC they took off for Hong Kong or some other enemy controlled port, even if they had perfectly good patrolling areas already...

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 8
RE: Sub Combat in AE - 5/29/2008 6:05:38 AM   
Flying Tiger

quote:

Hmmmp.  It seems every time I put my subs on CC they took off for Hong Kong or some other enemy controlled port, even if they had perfectly good patrolling areas already...

Yeah, i gave up on computer controlled subs too - they all end up stacked uselessly in some chinese port!! But... if the game engine is already capable of following enemy TFs with subs why not include a 'follow enemy TF' or 'hold position' tab - if told to follow then the sub TF will act like it is computer controlled, if told to hold position it will just stay on picket. Sounds simple!!

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 9
RE: Sub Combat in AE - 5/29/2008 8:08:48 AM   
Pascal_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flying Tiger

quote:

Yeah, i gave up on computer controlled subs too - they all end up stacked uselessly in some chinese port!! But... if the game engine is already capable of following enemy TFs with subs why not include a 'follow enemy TF' or 'hold position' tab - if told to follow then the sub TF will act like it is computer controlled, if told to hold position it will just stay on picket. Sounds simple!!

I agree. It is stupid that following TFs only works under computer control.

(in reply to Flying Tiger)
Post #: 10
RE: Sub Combat in AE - 6/2/2008 5:31:23 PM   
jeffs

Will subs have the ability to kill enemy subs? The USN whacked many an IJN sub this way.

To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq

Post #: 11
RE: Sub Combat in AE - 6/2/2008 5:47:05 PM   
Kereguelen

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffs

Will subs have the ability to kill enemy subs? The USN whacked many an IJN sub this way.

Sub vs. sub combat is in.

(in reply to jeffs)
Post #: 12
RE: Sub Combat in AE - 6/3/2008 12:37:24 PM   
seydlitz_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kereguelen

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffs

Sub vs. sub combat is in.

woot! woot! I can't wait for this feature. I am very pleased to see that it was added since it did happen historically. Of course, we may soon find that the most effective Japanese ASW weapon is her sub force at the start of the war. At least the Japanese player will have something to do with his subs besides haul mines to enemy ports, and even the short ranged RO boats will be quite useful for ASW defense. Brings me back to "Run Silent, Run Deep" by Ned Beach. In that novel the crack Japanese ASW outfit, lead by a chap the allies nicknamed Bungo Pete, bagged several US subs by operating a convoy consisting of a Q-ship fitted with cellulose, a single destroyer, and an RO class sub. The sub would stay submerged in trail, the American subs would make a run on the AK, usually at night on the surface, and the RO would torpedo the sub.

If you have never read "Run Silent, Run Deep" then you are missing one of the best WWII sub novels ever written. Of course, as good as that book is, there are several books written about real subs in the Pacific that are every bit as thrilling; even more so because the story is real. I would suggest:

Clear the Bridge! by O'Kane (exec of the Wahoo and skipper of the Tang)
Wahoo! also by O'Kane
Thunder Below by Fluckey (Captain of the Barb)

end thread hijack.

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Sub Combat in AE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI