Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Very OT : Euro 2008

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/10/2008 9:42:48 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zond

Are you following this America?

No.

Hehe, the most funniest thing is that all of that stuff spoken by Cleese are - true.

Typical European anti-american bigotry. I expected more from the "enlightened."

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 181
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/10/2008 9:43:12 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Looks like the Russians are drunk as well, like the Italians were yesterday.

That and Spain are a good team. But they won't win the tournament

As usual...

Every tournment I remember, they made such a game while they often didn't even reach the final rounds...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 182
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/10/2008 9:52:15 PM   
TulliusDetritus

"As usual", you are indeed correct, Historiker. Anyway, "often" is not correct. You should have said "almost never" or "except one time". 1964, and they won (Euro Cup).

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 183
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/10/2008 9:56:40 PM   
TulliusDetritus

"Typical European anti-american bigotry. I expected more from the enlightened"

And I think we should avoid the anti thing [or this thread will be pretty soon locked, I predict]. Although Cleese is 100% right. I mean, that's Aristotle's Logic if I ever saw one

For all I care, if they want to call their [Americans] national sport FOOTBALL, it is ok. They are not hurting anybody. But this obviously means that if someone invents a new sport and calls it er... basketball... or baseball... then it is ok as well...

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/10/2008 10:00:26 PM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 184
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/10/2008 10:03:09 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

"As usual", you are indeed correct, Historiker. Anyway, "often" is not correct. You should have said "almost never" or "except one time". 1964, and they won (Euro Cup).

I wouldn't count Urugay as WM-favorite as well

This single won was long before my time - but you are right, it shows that despite all "one game hurray, but mostly away from tournement after 3 games", they can win.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

Post #: 185
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/10/2008 10:09:05 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Historiker, but notice that in my first [?] post I clearly said that there ARE surprises in the Euro Cup... Greece, Denmark, etc.

But I suspect you won't see these teams winning the World Cup in 1 million years

As for Uruguay, well, they can say they have 2 World Cups, not too bad, eh? And even Italy. Before the last one, they only won one (1982) and then 2 before WW2. A loooong time ago

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 186
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/10/2008 11:34:00 PM   
ird

Gutted! I had a six game accumulator at odds of 105 to 1. Got five but Italy let me down - had that down for a draw. Where's that War in the Med mod - must be something Italian on there that I can blow up

Post #: 187
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/10/2008 11:58:47 PM   
Grollub

Go us!

Attachment (1)

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to ird)
Post #: 188
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 12:07:20 AM   
cantona2

Great taken goal by Ibrahimovic!

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 189
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 12:14:42 AM   
Grollub

True ... but to be honest - the Greeks made a very weak impression.

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 190
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 12:24:52 PM   
Przemcio231

Yeach go Sweden tommorow we face off against Austria... i hope we will win

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 191
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 12:29:34 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Przemcio231

Yeach go Sweden tommorow we face off against Austria... i hope we will win

I feel that you will, probably 1-0....

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Przemcio231)
Post #: 192
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 12:53:10 PM   
Przemcio231

then if Germans win with Croatia we are home:)

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 193
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 9:50:45 PM   
Psilva

Portugal 3 Check Republic 1  

Tough game but a good victory... The Check Republic is not an easy time...

Very proud of new generation of young portugueses players... many of them educated and trained in my club (Sporting Club of Portugal)

Cristiano Ronaldo
Ricardo Quaresma
João Moutinho
Nani
Bosingwa
Pepe

plus some others that did not had a change to play yet...

As usual big party in Lisbon again...

Greetings

(in reply to Przemcio231)
Post #: 194
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 10:24:49 PM   
Historiker

Yes, great game!
Portugal will be a tough nut to crack if we meet...

Nice to see that Christiano Ronaldo has changed to a team player meanwhile!

(in reply to Psilva)
Post #: 195
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 10:35:11 PM   
wernerpruckner

Historiker,

can you please change your sig-banner!!!!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 196
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 10:37:00 PM   
Historiker

why?

(in reply to wernerpruckner)
Post #: 197
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 10:39:11 PM   
wernerpruckner

I do not feel as part of any German tribe!!

we have a common language, but other than that......

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 198
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 10:53:31 PM   
Historiker

Well, but you are. You can deny it as Bavarians deny sometimes to be Germans as well - but that doesn't change anything with the facts...

The (german languaged) People of Denmark, the Netherlands, Luxemburg, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Poland, CZ and the FRG are all German tribes. A lost war and a policiy of "we were the first victim" doesn't change this (apart from the fact, that Austrians had a unporportional high percentage of war crimes and in members of the SS - and that the majority acclaimed the "Anschluß").

If you don't like it, then don't do this. You are free to deny that you are of German originin despite the fact that you are exactly that. To be of an origin doesn't forbid a "tribe" to start feeling as an own nation - as the Austrians started to do in the last 60 years (while they wanted to join Germany after WW1) and like the Durch do since centuries. To talk about a common origin and of a relatedness doesn't mean by any way, that the sovereignity of a nation isn't accepted.

Of course, it's a common Austrian identiy not to be a German tribe, because of that, they can claim not to have any relationship with the horrible 3rd Reich - but as the first Chancellor of the Free FRG Konrad Adenauer said: "If the Austrians should ever claim reparations, we will send them the remains of Adolf Hitler"

Do you think scandinavians would howl because of a "a hurray to the scandinavian national teams" by a swedish? Would this mean any revanchistic reclaiming of the old swedish territorys or any foolish like this?

Why can't you just be pleased that a german wishes you luck as well, while your nation's always gleeful after every German loss (I knew that because I watched ORF 1 1996, 1998 and 2000. Prohaska i.e. said "sadly, I expect the germans will advance")?

< Message edited by Historiker -- 6/11/2008 11:35:54 PM >

Post #: 199
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 10:53:59 PM   
Psilva

Cristiano grew up a lot in Man. Utd.

He left Sporting at 18 years old (it's passed 5 years now... We miss him in Alvalade)

In Portugal we're also thinking in Germany (but for the half finals if we both get there)... It's a team that deserves everyones respect...

Tacticaly superb team...

Post #: 200
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 10:56:51 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Psilva

Cristiano grew up a lot in Man. Utd.

He left Sporting at 18 years old (it's passed 5 years now... We miss him in Alvalade)

In Portugal we're also thinking in Germany (but for the half finals if we both get there)... It's a team that deserves everyones respect...

Tacticaly superb team...

Sadly, Figo isn't in the team any longer. I liked to see him play...
Anyway, despite all respect, I hope it ends like 2006 if our teams will meat

(in reply to Psilva)
Post #: 201
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 11:18:37 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Historiker, er, a little stop by to clarify this "irrelevant" geographical & linguistic note: I was under the impression that there are 4 languages in Switzerland... German, French, Italian and Rumantsch... Not trying to piss in your pockets though

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 202
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 11:31:33 PM   
Historiker

quote:

Historiker, er, a little stop by to clarify this "irrelevant" geographical & linguistic note: I was under the impression that there are 4 languages in Switzerland... German, French, Italian and Rumantsch... Not trying to piss in your pockets though

True. Still, the majority of nearly 2/3 speak German and the origin of Switzerland is German. The Italian, French and Rumansh cantons were mainly conquered later. So the origin of Switzerland is cleraly German, while it's people is a mixture of 3 peoples (+ the romansh which share an origin with the italians)

Post #: 203
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 11:38:17 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Ok, more historical notes. No, the old Swiss were celtic (apparently): Helvetii... So, I guess Germans were invaders as well, eh, just like the French and Italians?

In other words, French and Italians could do a similar banner... but with the French & Italian flags instead of the German... which means the Swiss Football Team has got many many supporters Fair enough But I wonder what Swiss people think about all this mess...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 204
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 11:45:52 PM   
Historiker

quote:

Ok, more historical notes. No, the old Swiss were celtic (apparently): Helvetii... So, I guess Germans were invaders as well, eh, just like the French and Italians?

In other words, French and Italians could do a similar banner... but with the French & Italian flags instead of the German... which means the Swiss Football Team has got many many supporters Fair enough But I wonder what Swiss people think about all this mess...

Hehe

like most tribes in europe have been invaders once... The Swedish might also claim a relatedness with the Spanish and Portuguese, as the Visigoths (origined in Sweden) moved there after their loss of the old Tolosan Empire...

Post #: 205
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 11:55:54 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Don't forget the Migrationist / Mega Invasions Historical Theories -- which were invented on the XIX century, er, when Europe was building a World Empire ergo Expansion -- is possibly wrong.

Now there are even experts who say that (for example) the English language maybe was not brought during the Barbarian Big Invasions (the Anglo-Saxons)... Maybe it was already spoken there... This would explain why English is close to Dutch (when in theory it should be closest to German or Danish instead)...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 206
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 11:58:48 PM   
cantona2

Back to the footie eh

Great match and unlucky Swiss

As regards Ronaldo, he hasnt grown up at United judging by his whoring out for more money and teasing madrid. Great player though. Viva Ronaldo, running down the wing, hear united sing, viva ronaldooooooooo

BTW Scolari announced as new Chelski manager. Psilva seems to me you'll be needing a new national manager!

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 207
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/11/2008 11:59:33 PM   
ird

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

quote:

Hehe

So can we refer to Scottish, Welsh, Australian, New Zealanders and Americans as part of the English tribe??? I'm sure they'd all love that

like most tribes in europe have been invaders once... The Swedish might also claim a relatedness with the Spanish and Portuguese, as the Visigoths (origined in Sweden) moved there after their loss of the old Tolosan Empire...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 208
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/12/2008 12:09:42 AM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

BTW Scolari announced as new Chelski manager.

They can bring in any manager they like, they'll still bore me to tears.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 209
RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 - 6/12/2008 12:09:57 AM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Back to the footie eh

Great match and unlucky Swiss

Indeed. While I don't like the Turkish Team since 2005, they did a good game and so deserve to get their chance to go on.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Very OT : Euro 2008 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI