Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

somethigs different here?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> somethigs different here? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
somethigs different here? - 6/10/2008 12:30:00 AM   
madgamer2

I bought this game when it was released and then spent my time trying to play FoF with its 400K Blue armies attacking Richmond's 200k defending......well in short it was a great game but just did not feel right for me. I then spent a long time with my oblivion game and a couple of weeks ago started to play AACW and wondered if there was a patch from my 1.07 version.
installed the 1.10a and continued with my old game and had no real trouble except trying to deal with all the things you had to do. I was able to let the computer manage the navy stuff (just built some ships) and decided to start a new version1.10a but found the 1.10c patch and uninstalled and reinstalled the game and the patch.
I found 2 things that seemed to be different. One was that the AI was much better and in the shorter long game they did it quite quickly because I had trouble dealing with the second difference which was the suppy rules. I did not seem to have nearly enough supply in particular war supply.
I did not want to micromanage the navel game and it just seemed that there just was not enough war supply to even start to build ships,units,and reinforcements and new units. The first time I played the North them rebs had Div. sized units in NJ,PA,OH, and took Cairo among other places.
Was it just the fact that my first game with 1.10a was a saved game under 1.07 that made the difference in AI and supply appear to be very different or would playing a new game with the 1.10a version then switching to the 1.10c version make any difference? Is there
any real difference in the supply rules (like WS) between 1.10a and 1.10c?
It looks to me that this game has become more historically accurate and harder to physically play. It is getting to the point where it is to much for me. I can't do a turn according to the check list on the AACW web site its just to much work and to time consuming and more like work than game playing.

so am I the only one having problems like this? Am I out of line asking for a difficulty setting in the options menu that went from none to complex fo supply? I love this game but I am not sure i can devote the time it would take even vs. the computer (let alone a human person) to make it worth my time.

just a thought
Madgamer

Post #: 1
RE: somethigs different here? - 6/10/2008 1:11:17 AM   
Arsan

IMHO, you better forget about that check list and just play as you see fit and enjoy the ride. This is a game, not work.
As i advice you earlier somewhere (here? on the Ageod forums? can't remember) don't play a 1864 campaing as a starter.
On this setup you have tons of units and armies spread around the map and its difficult to get to know them and use them.
Start an april 1861 and create and organize your armies as you like, feel how they grow little by little, and come to know them and you will find everything much less overwhelming.
Oh, and if you don't like to micromanage too much, try first as the CSA: fewer units, much fewer ships, better leader that do what you tell them (not like McClellan...).
If this is still too much, there are several nice medium sized scenarios you can try : Shiloh, Vicksburg and two half campaigns for 1862 (west and east theaters).
Also, check the keyboard shortcuts on the manual. They are very useful to don¡t forget to move some corps somewhere.
Regards

< Message edited by Arsan -- 6/10/2008 1:12:21 AM >

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 2
RE: somethigs different here? - 6/10/2008 10:51:46 AM   
GShock

Micromanaging is the key to all games of this kind. The more the detail level, the more the micromanaging and should this micromanaging be suppressed, such detail level could never be achieved. Even though most things are processed by AI logic, it's still you in charge and if it wasn't you, then you'd not be playing. It's a tradeoff you need to accept but basically with experience many moves and decisions become easier. If you find the naval management too tedious, you can use other rules that reduce such micromanaging. Arsan is right, u should start from 1861 and get a going with fewer troops to grow smoothly. In order to increase your WS, you should use brigs in the shipping box if you are USA and in shipping box + gulf box if you are CSA. A good option is also to use those investments in the industry and use ships smartly...once damaged these ships need WS to be repaired so it's another way to save the WS.

Study the 101 published by Runyan to help fight. It's a sticky in the AgeOD forums.

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 3
RE: somethigs different here? - 7/4/2008 7:02:40 AM   
bigus

Start with the "Trans-Mississippi Scenario" This gives you the ability to buy units and train them without having to worry about the economy. The field is limited so you can learn the basics, Including supply, Recuitment ,limited draft etc.

Bigus

< Message edited by bigus -- 7/4/2008 7:05:48 AM >

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 4
RE: somethigs different here? - 7/4/2008 10:44:01 AM   
emcgman

Also, the current patch is 1.10d, check the Aegod site forum.

(in reply to bigus)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> somethigs different here? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI