Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? - 6/13/2008 9:45:27 PM   
Vilhjalmr

I have been long-awaiting a PC version of Squad Leader. I have an old buddy of mine against whom I used to play Squad Leader a lot and we’d like to resume that via email. We looked into playing Squad Leader with the VASSAL engine, but we would prefer to have a game engine handle the rules and mechanics of the game for us, leaving us to focus entirely on the strategy of the game.

“Heroes of Stalingrad” appears to have much potential towards being that game. However until it’s actually released [and depending upon how well it handles head-to-head PBEM], does anyone have any suggestions about a good alternative for a strategic, WWII-based, platoon-level, PBEM game for the PC that resembling Squad Leader as much as possible? I’m definitely looking for a non-shooter game and will gladly sacrifice graphics and eye candy for strategy and head-to-head playability.

Most of the games seem oriented to a larger scale (e.g., battalion and up) as opposed to just platoons. I took a look at Steel Panthers, but that focused too much on tanks for my liking.

Many thanks!
Bill
Post #: 1
RE: Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? - 6/13/2008 10:09:09 PM   
Hertston

HPS' Squad Battles series.

(in reply to Vilhjalmr)
Post #: 2
RE: Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? - 6/13/2008 10:13:39 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vilhjalmr

I have been long-awaiting a PC version of Squad Leader. I have an old buddy of mine against whom I used to play Squad Leader a lot and we’d like to resume that via email. We looked into playing Squad Leader with the VASSAL engine, but we would prefer to have a game engine handle the rules and mechanics of the game for us, leaving us to focus entirely on the strategy of the game.

“Heroes of Stalingrad” appears to have much potential towards being that game. However until it’s actually released [and depending upon how well it handles head-to-head PBEM], does anyone have any suggestions about a good alternative for a strategic, WWII-based, platoon-level, PBEM game for the PC that resembling Squad Leader as much as possible? I’m definitely looking for a non-shooter game and will gladly sacrifice graphics and eye candy for strategy and head-to-head playability.

Most of the games seem oriented to a larger scale (e.g., battalion and up) as opposed to just platoons. I took a look at Steel Panthers, but that focused too much on tanks for my liking.

Many thanks!
Bill

I was a big squad leader fan way back when. In any event, have you considered Panzer Campaigns Kharkov? I know it's a 3D type game and might *LOOK* like a shooter, but it really isn't.

Shortly after it was released I was interested in learning the editors in the game so I decided to recreate one of the Squad Battle scenarios. I was able to recreate The Balta Scenario within PC:K fairly well. Capture of Balta was Scenario 13 - which might have been a Cross of Iron Scenario actually (I keep them all in same box).

In any event, check out the forums for PC:K I'm planning on maybe doing The HedgeHog at Piepsk next (using a new map maker tool one of the guys there is developing. YOu might ask how the head to head PBEm is working a few guys are trying it with PC:K.

Another alternative is the Squad Battle system from John Tiller I think. I have Eagle Strike and Advance of the Reich. both about the right scale for SL. I dont know about PBEM with those.

And it looks like this one will also be worth a look - which is why I'm here of course!

Rick

< Message edited by Rick -- 6/13/2008 10:14:31 PM >

(in reply to Vilhjalmr)
Post #: 3
RE: Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? - 6/14/2008 2:33:44 AM   
Punisher

HPS Sqaud Battles Third Reich is my favorite here is the link http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/SB/AOTR/aotr.html
HPS Eagle Strike is also very good!

(in reply to Vilhjalmr)
Post #: 4
RE: Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? - 6/16/2008 10:19:41 PM   
Vilhjalmr

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Sounds like I'll have to give HPS' Squad Battles: Advance of the Reich a try while I join the queue for HOS.

Much appreciated,
Bill

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 5
RE: Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? - 7/2/2008 9:04:59 PM   
Vilhjalmr

Just a follow-up. Based upon your advice, my copy of SB: AotR arrived a couple of weeks ago; I am now addicted and haven't been getting much sleep since.

I'm still eagerly anticipating the release of HoS, but Squad Battles is definitely filling the void nicely during the interim. Thanks everyone for the perfect recommendation!

Bill

(in reply to Vilhjalmr)
Post #: 6
RE: Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? - 7/2/2008 9:10:25 PM   
Punisher

Yes I new you would love this game! It's the closest game to Squad Leader on the PC I could find. Good place to meet other Squad Battle players is here http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/index.php

Cheers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vilhjalmr

Just a follow-up. Based upon your advice, my copy of SB: AotR arrived a couple of weeks ago; I am now addicted and haven't been getting much sleep since.

I'm still eagerly anticipating the release of HoS, but Squad Battles is definitely filling the void nicely during the interim. Thanks everyone for the perfect recommendation!

Bill

(in reply to Vilhjalmr)
Post #: 7
RE: Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? - 7/2/2008 9:30:58 PM   
Vilhjalmr

I'll check that site out, thanks.

Bill

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 8
RE: Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? - 7/2/2008 9:47:16 PM   
wodin

When The Task Force Echo site is back up they have loads of AOTR scenarios and mods.

(in reply to Vilhjalmr)
Post #: 9
RE: Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? - 7/2/2008 10:10:33 PM   
Punisher

What happed to their website they just vanished?

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

When The Task Force Echo site is back up they have loads of AOTR scenarios and mods.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? - 7/17/2008 5:01:17 PM   
andym

I wanted the Modern West German games from them.My brother ordered it and i still havent got it!So bugger it.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Recommendations for a PC version of Squad Leader? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI