Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Muskets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Muskets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Muskets - 6/20/2008 11:07:41 AM   
haruntaiwan

Does anyone else find that muskets are pretty good, especially if you maneuver close before firing?

Sometimes I don't bother upgrading much as the South after muskets, because I'll get some better rifles from the yankees, and muskets do okay on defense.
Post #: 1
RE: Muskets - 6/20/2008 11:15:48 AM   
jkBluesman

On range 1, a fresh unit with muskets can break an enemy unit of low quality. But if you are attacked from greater range...

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to haruntaiwan)
Post #: 2
RE: Muskets - 6/20/2008 4:20:56 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: haruntaiwan

Does anyone else find that muskets are pretty good, especially if you maneuver close before firing?

Sometimes I don't bother upgrading much as the South after muskets, because I'll get some better rifles from the yankees, and muskets do okay on defense.

Actually, I pretty much do the same, until I can start buying more advanced killers that are available as researched upgrades.

Muskets are a tad too effective at range 1, if you ask me. Why they're better at close range than rifles is a mystery. I don't know the data, but I can't imagine one can get off more rounds with a musket than a rifle. It seems the 1 hex values should be about the same. I also think the range attenuation for other weapons (rifles) might be too great. I don't know. It just seems like there is no real reason to buy rifles, and there should be. Attacks at distance are not effective enough, IMO, and all you do is use up supplies more quickly. Maybe this is just an anomaly caused by the scale of HW.

Some of you weapons experts out there help me here. Where am I going wrong?

(in reply to haruntaiwan)
Post #: 3
RE: Muskets - 6/20/2008 6:12:01 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Attacks at distance are not effective enough,

I do agree, unless I am very mistaken one of the DvDs I have about the ACW states that the increased range of accurate fire ment that the tactic of marching towards the enemy, form a line and fire became very costly.

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Muskets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI