Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help finding a game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Help finding a game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 9:05:36 AM   
JudgeDredd

Not looking to buy...just for old times sake...

It was an old PC game, probably mid 90's made by Empire I think (although that could be a red herring). Had tanks in it. 3D game you could jump to a 2D map at any time and give your units waypoints, then go to 3D and watch the action. I think you could even take control in 3D but not entirely sure. Also not sure if Infantry were involved...I remember a Sherman being in it in all it's beautiful polygons!!
Post #: 1
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 10:15:11 AM   
mc82

That one was fun, along with Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Genghis Khan 2.  Gemfire (a goofy Koei fantasy spinoff game) was actually the first "grand strategic" game that I played through and won, I think I was 11 or so at the time ;)   I still play with some of those old games.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 10:50:09 AM   
JudgeDredd

So you know of this game I speak of?

(in reply to mc82)
Post #: 3
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 10:59:30 AM   
HansBolter

I remember a game like that but the name escape me right now. I'll dig through the old game boxes tonight to see if I can find it.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 11:26:43 AM   
Greybriar

Could it have been Twilight: 2000? Tanks were not the only vehicle in the game, though. Twilight: 2000 was a Paragon title published by MicroProse in 1991, but it was later released as part of a combo pack in 1996 by Empire.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 11:29:21 AM   
JudgeDredd

No...not that one. I'm certain is was from a company called Empire or something. WWII game. Very bland looking by todays standards, but I always thought it played out well...and I do think you were able to play in 3D mode as well...driving the tanks using the keyboard

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 6
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 11:37:16 AM   
Vic

http://www.mobygames.com/game/team-yankee/screenshots

might be this one?

kind regards,
Vic

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 11:46:28 AM   
JudgeDredd

Nope (though I did love team yankee)...it was probably before team yankee

I wish I could remember more about it...

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 8
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 11:48:46 AM   
JudgeDredd

Also, it wasn't nearly as colour5ful as that...very drab green and browns really...no bright colours that I remember.

The maps, as I remember, generally had a lot of green around and in the middle there would be a village normally. You'd start at the edge and move towards the "enemy"...and you could swap vehicles too. It may well have been purely tank based....all I remember is driving the Shermans towards there goal. And I don't recall if it was playable from the Germans pov.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 9
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 11:51:37 AM   
Vic

search all the games developed by Empire on mobygames. they did quite a lot of other tank games. And it is always fun to browse through mobygames.com

ride through memory lane. :)

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 12:01:17 PM   
JudgeDredd

Found it

It was called Campaign...I can't see any screen shots to confirm it...but that game was made by Empire and it looks very familiar...thx Vic for the link to mobygames

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 11
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 12:01:39 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Also, it wasn't nearly as colour5ful as that...very drab green and browns really...no bright colours that I remember.

The maps, as I remember, generally had a lot of green around and in the middle there would be a village normally. You'd start at the edge and move towards the "enemy"...and you could swap vehicles too. It may well have been purely tank based....all I remember is driving the Shermans towards there goal. And I don't recall if it was playable from the Germans pov.

Judge, I know the gamne you are describing and I am sure it is the one I have. I just won't be able to look up the name until I get home from work and can dig out the old game box.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 12
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 12:02:37 PM   
JudgeDredd

Just seen the back of the box...not as drab as I remember it.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 13
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 12:09:46 PM   
JudgeDredd

Actually, I've just noticed there are some screenshots there...that is the game. Superb game from what I remember.

Was that the game you were thinking of Hans?

1992 as well...I must've had it on my Amiga rather than the PC

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 7/10/2008 12:11:05 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 14
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 12:51:57 PM   
HansBolter

I was thinking of a game much like you described but it may have been one of the last games by Microprose (great game publisher from the early PC days).

You took command of tank platoons composed of individual vehicles and you could jump from tank to tank and command each individually, although that was not the most effective way to command. It was strictly American Shermans. It had both 3D & 2D interfaces.

Found it in the IGN database on Microprose...it was called Across the Rhine:

http://pc.ign.com/objects/824/824500.html

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 7/10/2008 12:54:12 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 15
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 12:55:19 PM   
JudgeDredd

That one might have been BftR (Battle for the Rhine)??

The one I was thinking of was Campaign by Empire.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 16
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 1:10:59 PM   
Barthheart

I had Campaign for my Commador 64.... way back...... great game. Lots of fun riding around in a panther blasting Russians! THe 2D was kind of a strategic map interface where you sent units to various areas. If the enemy sent unit there too a battle was faught. Set up your troops and a real time battle started which you could watch in 2D or jump into a tank and blast away. East and West fronts.

I also had Across the Rhine for the PC. Another fun game but flawed 3D control of units. Again 2D strategic map to move units then real time battles on meeting. Seem to remember have to drive all over hell's half acre to find last units in battles and the driving controls weren't that great.

Godd times.....

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 17
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 1:50:17 PM   
JudgeDredd

That was it...Across the Rhine...not Battle for the Rhine!

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 18
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 2:19:46 PM   
sullafelix

Both Campaign and Across the Rhine where great in what they tried to do. It was just that the computers at the time were not up tp the task. Much like the Universal Military Simulator? series. I wanted so much for those games to work as conceived. Out of the three Across the Rhine was the best IMHO.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 19
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 5:30:32 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

Both Campaign and Across the Rhine where great in what they tried to do. It was just that the computers at the time were not up tp the task.

I've read about those, but never played even demo (if those even exist). Muzzle Velocity did pretty well though, and it came out about right time when Pentiums started selling more than 486.

If you don't know that one, it's about like this: WW2, semi-realistic RTS, where player can take control of any individual unit from soldier (with too many panzerfausts) to ground vehicle, and pretty realistic map design compared to typical FPSes

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 20
RE: Help finding a game - 7/10/2008 6:50:34 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

I've read about those, but never played even demo (if those even exist). ....

Waaaayyy before 486's!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 21
RE: Help finding a game - 7/12/2008 1:04:13 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

Both Campaign and Across the Rhine where great in what they tried to do. It was just that the computers at the time were not up tp the task. Much like the Universal Military Simulator? series. I wanted so much for those games to work as conceived. Out of the three Across the Rhine was the best IMHO.

I have played all three. The screenshots of Campaign at Mobygames brought back memories of the scene with the lone German Jagdpanzer exchanging radio messages with the Me 262s - "There is Russian Armor closing in from all sides! Over." - "You have to hold them till we get there. Over." or something along that line. I actually made a tape recording with sound bits of a few favorite games back then and I'm quite sure this dialog is part of the recording - gotta have to search for it...

Edit: Another favorite of mine back then was "Sherman M4"

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 7/12/2008 1:06:54 AM >

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 22
RE: Help finding a game - 7/18/2008 10:17:57 PM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc82

That one was fun, along with Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Genghis Khan 2.  Gemfire (a goofy Koei fantasy spinoff game) was actually the first "grand strategic" game that I played through and won, I think I was 11 or so at the time ;)   I still play with some of those old games.
[/quotg
Genghis Khan was am awesome game. I really hope they re-release that game at some point. As for Gemfire. I don;t know that anyone has that game. I happen to have it, but I don'rt know anyone that has that one.
Also, do any of you remember the 2 pto games or le'empereur? those were pretty awesome too for old gaming. Obviously, you can't forget about Nobunaga's Ambition

(in reply to mc82)
Post #: 23
RE: Help finding a game - 7/19/2008 1:30:21 AM   
Arctic Blast

Aaaah, the days when Koei was making really, really good games, instead of 16 different versions of Dynasty Warriors.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Help finding a game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote