Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/9/2008 5:56:17 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkla

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Q6: What nation developed the largest submarines during the war?

I remember something about a very big french submarine, named the Surcouf (name of a french corsair or naval commander from the beginning of the 19th century who did some feats in India region I think).  According to wikipedia 4218 tons, huge for a sub at this time. 

Ahh...the Surcouf. It bring's back fond memories of a naval campaign I was in where I had the submarine at my disposal. Going around shelling the enemy with the 2 8 inch guns on board. How cool is that - okay, also pretty stupid, but what can I say.

I think it is believed that she was rammed by an allied merchantment somewhere in the Caribbean.

We are still looking for someone to do write ups for the submarine units. The intention is to have a separate writeup for each sub which has some general background on the major power's use of submarines in the war and then an additional paragraph or two about individual sub(s). Since each unit represents dozens of subs, this lets use make each unit's description unique and more interesting than the same text for every US/Japanese/German sub unit in the game.

If anyone is interested in doing some of these writeups, let me know (SHokanson@HawaiianTel.net).

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to monkla)
Post #: 661
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/9/2008 6:22:52 PM   
micheljq

quote:

quote:

I remember something about a very big french submarine, named the Surcouf (name of a french corsair or naval commander from the beginning of the 19th century who did some feats in India region I think).  According to wikipedia 4218 tons, huge for a sub at this time. 

Ahh...the Surcouf. It bring's back fond memories of a naval campaign I was in where I had the submarine at my disposal. Going around shelling the enemy with the 2 8 inch guns on board. How cool is that - okay, also pretty stupid, but what can I say.

I think it is believed that she was rammed by an allied merchantment somewhere in the Caribbean.

And the Surcouf even had a Flying Boat aboard, insane! I don't know if I should do naval write-ups, I am a french canadian english is not my main language.

(in reply to monkla)
Post #: 662
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/9/2008 7:10:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

We are still looking for someone to do write ups for the submarine units. The intention is to have a separate writeup for each sub which has some general background on the major power's use of submarines in the war and then an additional paragraph or two about individual sub(s). Since each unit represents dozens of subs, this lets use make each unit's description unique and more interesting than the same text for every US/Japanese/German sub unit in the game.

If anyone is interested in doing some of these writeups, let me know (SHokanson@HawaiianTel.net).
Warspite1

Steve, just to be clear, I am still doing the CW submarines.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 663
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/9/2008 7:28:59 PM   
warspite1

Steve

On that subject, September has come and gone and I have heard nothing from Marcus despite two chasers.

Can I make a start on selected CW carriers please? I will tell you why I am being a pain on the subject. My write ups include relatively detailed write ups of key battles so that all the major events the CW navies were involved in are covered off. This also ensures that all VC`s winners stories are provided. These write ups are given to a specific unit and then cross referenced. For example the Hood contains a detailed write up of the start of the Bismarck operation and the Rodney has the detailed write up post Hood`s sinking. All other ships involved in this action have just a brief reference to their participation and a (see HMS Hood (or HMS Rodney) for details). By spreading these lengthier write ups across individual ships, I can get more interesting stories without any one write up being too long.

As part of this process I would like to know one way or the other whether, for example I can put the Raid on Taranto against Illustrious or another, non-carrier ship. Obviously the ideal for this action would be against the carrier. Sorry to be a pain but want these write ups as polished as possible - they are taking over my life .

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 664
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/9/2008 8:49:27 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Steve

On that subject, September has come and gone and I have heard nothing from Marcus despite two chasers.

Can I make a start on selected CW carriers please? I will tell you why I am being a pain on the subject. My write ups include relatively detailed write ups of key battles so that all the major events the CW navies were involved in are covered off. This also ensures that all VC`s winners stories are provided. These write ups are given to a specific unit and then cross referenced. For example the Hood contains a detailed write up of the start of the Bismarck operation and the Rodney has the detailed write up post Hood`s sinking. All other ships involved in this action have just a brief reference to their participation and a (see HMS Hood (or HMS Rodney) for details). By spreading these lengthier write ups across individual ships, I can get more interesting stories without any one write up being too long.

As part of this process I would like to know one way or the other whether, for example I can put the Raid on Taranto against Illustrious or another, non-carrier ship. Obviously the ideal for this action would be against the carrier. Sorry to be a pain but want these write ups as polished as possible - they are taking over my life .

Have at it then. And thanks for doing these writeups.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 665
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/11/2008 1:28:13 PM   
terje439

Q1: What famous actress was asked by Nazi-Germany to return to Germany but decided to stay in USA?

Q2: What airplane name is also the name of an Audrey Hepburn movie?

Q3: Operation Fall Weiss is remembered as the German attack on Poland, but it is also the name of another Axis operation, what was the second "Fall Weiss" about?

Q4: What German operation was codenamed "Fall Gelb"?

Q5: What was the German codename for "Battle of the Ardennes/Bulge"?

Q6: Some Japaneese counters in MWiF and WiF are labelled SNLF. What does those letter stand for?

Q7: What was the name of the 1st SS Div? What was its task when founded?

Q8: What became the official name of Germany to in 1943?

Q9: Who was the last person to recieve the "Blood Order"?

Q10: The trials at Nuremberg took place in Nuremberg for two main reasons, what were the reasons?

Hint for Q2 - also a drink that truely lives up to its name!
Hint for Q9 - He had a role in crushing the SA

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 666
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/11/2008 2:24:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Q1: What famous actress was asked by Nazi-Germany to return to Germany but decided to stay in USA?

Q3: Operation Fall Weiss is remembered as the German attack on Poland, but it is also the name of another Axis operation, what was the second "Fall Weiss" about?

Q6: Some Japaneese counters in MWiF and WiF are labelled SNLF. What does those letter stand for?

Q10: The trials at Nuremberg took place in Nuremberg for two main reasons, what were the reasons?

Warspite1

Q.4 The attack on France
Q.5 Wacht Am Rhein (Watch on the Rhine - it was purposely given a non-offensive code-name)
Q.6 Special Naval Landing Force
Q.7 Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler - Hitlers Lifeguard
Q.10 Something to do with the Nuremburg laws?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 667
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/11/2008 2:43:22 PM   
Plainian

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Q.4 The attack on France
Q.5 Wacht Am Rhein (Watch on the Rhine - it was purposely given a non-offensive code-name)

Spookily enough these are the only questions I could have answered as well?

However for Q7 the answer should be Leibstandarte if I remember my German from 1973 correctly. (ei is pronounced i and ie is pronounced ee) However if you google both spellings of Lifeguard(Body Guard) you get hits on both Liebstandarte and Leibstandarte, but I think the second is correct?

For Q10 is it because the south and Nurnberg were the heartland of National Socilism and where they had the infamous Rallies?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 668
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/11/2008 3:04:35 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plain Ian

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Q.4 The attack on France

However for Q7 the answer should be Leibstandarte if I remember my German from 1973 correctly. (ei is pronounced i and ie is pronounced ee) However if you google both spellings of Lifeguard(Body Guard) you get hits on both Liebstandarte and Leibstandarte, but I think the second is correct?

For Q10 is it because the south and Nurnberg were the heartland of National Socilism and where they had the infamous Rallies?

Warspite 1

I think Terje ought to spill the beens on Audrey Hepburn...
Q.9 What about that nasty piece of work Heydrich?

(in reply to Plainian)
Post #: 669
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/11/2008 5:17:09 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

1. Marlene Dietrich
2. Could it be B-52?
3. Warsaw Ghetto liquidation after the uprising
8. seems to me it was something like "the greater German Reich"

Paul

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 670
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/11/2008 6:41:43 PM   
NeBert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plain Ian

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Q.4 The attack on France

leib is correct - lieb would mean lovely
Q10 - my first guess would be also the Nürnberg Laws, the second would be that the "Reichsparteitage" were held in Nürnberg - the largest propaganda shows of the NSDAP.

NeBert

(in reply to Plainian)
Post #: 671
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/11/2008 8:29:37 PM   
terje439

quote:

Q.4 The attack on France
Q.9 What about that nasty piece of work Heydrich?

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck
1. Marlene Dietrich
2. Could it be B-52?
3. Warsaw Ghetto liquidation after the uprising
8. seems to me it was something like "the greater German Reich"

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeBert
Q10 - my first guess would be also the Nürnberg Laws, the second would be that the "Reichsparteitage" were held in Nürnberg - the largest propaganda shows of the NSDAP.

1 - Marlene Dietrich is indeed correct
2 - B52 is also a drink but I fail to see how it lives up to its name - wrong
3 - Warzaw Ghetto liquidation - kinda close but wrong
4 - Attack on France/Low countries - correct
5 - Wacht am Rhein - correct
6 - Special Naval Landing Force - correct
7 - Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler - Hitlers Lifeguard - correct (I will not hold ie/ei against anyone here )
8 - seems to me it was something like "the greater German Reich" or Großdeutsches Reich - correct
9 - What about that nasty piece of work Heydrich? - correct. Heydrich was awarded the Blood Order after his death
10 - the second would be that the "Reichsparteitage" were held in Nürnberg - the largest propaganda shows of the NSDAP. - Correct. I'll reveal the other reason as that one is rather obscure. After the war, there were a limited buildings in Germany with the size needed for the trials that were still intact.

Well, that only leaves the plane/drink/Hepburn movie name and the second "Fall Weiss"

< Message edited by terje439 -- 10/11/2008 8:30:14 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 672
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/11/2008 10:11:34 PM   
Frederyck

quote:

quote:

Well, that only leaves the plane/drink/Hepburn movie name and the second "Fall Weiss"

I think you may have mixed up two of the great moviestar ladies?

It was Katherine Hepburn, not Audrey that starred in the 1934 movie "Spitfire", which also is a famous ale from Kent, UK.

Edit: Oh yeah. A Spitfire was an airplane of some kind as well, IIRC.

< Message edited by Frederyck -- 10/11/2008 10:17:09 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 673
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/12/2008 12:09:07 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frederyck

quote:

quote:

I think you may have mixed up two of the great moviestar ladies?

It was Katherine Hepburn, not Audrey that starred in the 1934 movie "Spitfire", which also is a famous ale from Kent, UK.

Edit: Oh yeah. A Spitfire was an airplane of some kind as well, IIRC.

Bah! My bad then. Just saw Hepburn on the cover and immediately thought Audrey. Soz. Spitfire is also a drink, not just an ale. The drink is living up to its name, it is close to making you spit fire indeed.
But again, poor intel on my side, will try to sharpen up!

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 674
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/12/2008 4:44:41 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

Bah! My bad then. Just saw Hepburn on the cover and immediately thought Audrey. Soz. Spitfire is also a drink, not just an ale. The drink is living up to its name, it is close to making you spit fire indeed.
But again, poor intel on my side, will try to sharpen up!

Yes, another mistake like that and we'll send over the B-52s.

Paul

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 675
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/12/2008 8:59:03 AM   
warspite1

Which was the only ocean liner to serve as a troopship in BOTH world wars?

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 676
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/12/2008 3:22:32 PM   
Frederyck

quote:

You have to make mistakes to get someone to send you Kahlúa-based drinks?!? For future references, I prefer mine with Grand Marnier, and not Cointreau.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 677
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/12/2008 3:54:13 PM   
terje439

quote:

*something* Russia....

Pride of Russia or something?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 678
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/12/2008 10:19:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

*something* Russia....

Pride of Russia or something?

Warspite1

Nope.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 679
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/14/2008 1:32:19 PM   
micheljq

quote:

I think it is a great english ocean liner, the Queen Elizabeth?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 680
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/14/2008 2:31:23 PM   
monkla

I'm pretty sure that the Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary were built between the wars. But for some reason, I think that the liner we're after is a well known ship anyhow. The only other one's that I can think of are Lusitania and Mauretania. It's obviously not Lusitania. So, I'll try Mauretania.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 681
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/14/2008 2:37:59 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I'm pretty sure that the Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary were built between the wars. But for some reason, I think that the liner we're after is a well known ship anyhow. The only other one's that I can think of are Lusitania and Mauretania. It's obviously not Lusitania. So, I'll try Mauretania.

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

You are on the right track. Clue: it is an "ania" but no not the Mauretania which was scrapped in the thirties.

(in reply to monkla)
Post #: 682
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/14/2008 7:08:12 PM   
composer99

quote:

quote:

You have to make mistakes to get someone to send you Kahlúa-based drinks?!? For future references, I prefer mine with Grand Marnier, and not Cointreau.

There is also a rather sucky pop rock band called the B-52s. They could be sent over instead of the drinks. I believe you will find that they are not nearly as fascinating as the bombers nor as appetizing as the beverages.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 683
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/14/2008 9:58:29 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

You are on the right track. Clue: it is an "ania" but no not the Mauretania which was scrapped in the thirties.

Soooo glad to see others make mistakes as well
There is also the Empress of Russia

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 684
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/14/2008 10:02:24 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

And will then guess on the only other -ania I know; Aquitania?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 685
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/15/2008 5:37:19 PM   
iamspamus

b-52s with Luv Shack...oh come on. THAT's great!

"When you see a faded sign by the side of the road that say 15 miles to the LUUUUVVVVVV SHHHAAAAAACCCCKKK..." I'm going to go listen to that on my IPOD, right now.

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

quote:

quote:

There is also a rather sucky pop rock band called the B-52s. They could be sent over instead of the drinks. I believe you will find that they are not nearly as fascinating as the bombers nor as appetizing as the beverages.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 686
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/15/2008 8:34:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Terje - not exactly - yours was a case of mistaken identity K-A-T-H-E-R-I-N-E not A-U-D-R-E-Y . Mine was a case of duff sources of information - something by the way that has been a regular occurence since researching the naval wite ups. I can`t believe the number of times a supposedly good book (that costs a fortune) comes up with some utter bilge . Did you know the Germans had a troopship called Bhicker that was sunk in Oslo fjord during Weserubung? No - thought not.................and that staggeringly useless bit of "info" cost £25

P.S Oh and by the way - how could you "Guess" at Empress of Russia? You are either a great knowledge in all matters relating to merchant shipping of the Canadian Pacific Railway - in which case OR you are cheating ...I couldn`t possibly comment.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 687
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/15/2008 9:55:59 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Terje - not exactly - yours was a case of mistaken identity K-A-T-H-E-R-I-N-E not A-U-D-R-E-Y . Mine was a case of duff sources of information - something by the way that has been a regular occurence since researching the naval wite ups. I can`t believe the number of times a supposedly good book (that costs a fortune) comes up with some utter bilge . Did you know the Germans had a troopship called Bhicker that was sunk in Oslo fjord during Weserubung? No - thought not.................and that staggeringly useless bit of "info" cost £25

P.S Oh and by the way - how could you "Guess" at Empress of Russia? You are either a great knowledge in all matters relating to merchant shipping of the Canadian Pacific Railway - in which case OR you are cheating ...I couldn`t possibly comment.

I did not have the full name by memory, only remembered something Russia, so to get the full name I had to look it up, I'll admit. I came upon her name during a naval writeup when I first started on them.
And about useless books...I've actually wrote quite a few mails (e- and snail-) to quite a few publishers. Last time not long ago, when a book that was argued as a good book for young people wanting to know more about the life of Hitler. It's main error was not about his life, but about the war, were they stated "Germany poured HUGE ammounts of personell and vehicles into Africa in 1941".... Not heard anything back thou, doubt that I will either .

If you want to see how bad things really can get, take THIS test!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 688
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/15/2008 10:38:59 PM   
warspite1

[/quote] Warspite1

Good Grief....

Okay,
1. What was Operation Fork?
2. What was Operation Menace?
3. Which RN carrier was loaned to the US Fleet in 1943?
4. Which US carrier was loaned to the Eastern Fleet in 1944?
5. Which two Japanese cruisers collided with each other after Midway?
6. Which three German ships made the "Channel Dash" in 1942?
7. Which ship did Warspite hit from 13 miles away at Calabria in 1940?
8. A boarding party from which British destroyer freed British seamen from the supply ship Altmark in 1940?
9. Which was the first Royal Navy capital ship lost in WW11?
10. Why was Grand Admiral Raeder so annoyed by the torpedoing of the merchant ship Athenia by U-30 in September 1939?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 689
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 10/15/2008 10:42:38 PM   
Orm

quote:

Now I have taken that test. I must confess that my knowledge of WWII was not as good as I tought. Unfortunately, most of my books seems to have the same faulty facts.

On the serious side. Is that quiz a joke or what? Can it be possible to make a serious test that bad?

-Orm

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI