Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/24/2009 1:37:49 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

JGN has summed up the unanswered Qs in this post

(Q3) What were Japanese Aircraft carriers and seaplane carriers mostly named after?

I would say nippon provinces.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 1051
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/24/2009 8:38:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

(Q1) What was the largest naval battle of the Spanish Civil War?

(Q2) Why should the Spanish Nationalist cruiser Baleares not be included in WiF after March 1938?

(Q3) What were Japanese Aircraft carriers and seaplane carriers mostly named after?

(Q4) If the IJN battleship Fuso's name means "Land of Divine Mulberry Trees" what is this also an old name for?

(Q5a) Who is the Peruvian cruiser Coronel B named after (no its not the football team or the collage)?

(Q5b) What is Coronel B's most famous saying?

(Q6) What self recognized war criminal received the Philippines highest award for WW2? (McArthur was refused this award because he left the Philippines).

Warspite1

Terje, I did answer Q3 before - its castles and dragons
Q.6 Marcos?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/24/2009 8:40:25 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 1052
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/25/2009 12:38:25 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

I would say nippon provinces.

From JGN
Capital ships were mostly named after provinces, although Kongo-class, being battlecruisers, were named after mountains.
Large, Heavy or "Type A" Cruisers were named mostly after mountains, but Mogami-class were named after rivers as they were originally laid down as Type-B (light) cruisers.
Light, Small, or "Type B" cruisers were generally named after rivers & streams.
First class destroyers were named after environmental or calendar names.
Second-class destroyers were named after plants.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 1053
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/25/2009 5:17:57 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

(Q1) What was the largest naval battle of the Spanish Civil War?

(Q2) Why should the Spanish Nationalist cruiser Baleares not be included in WiF after March 1938?

(Q4) If the IJN battleship Fuso's name means "Land of Divine Mulberry Trees" what is this also an old name for?

(Q5a) Who is the Peruvian cruiser Coronel B named after (no its not the football team or the collage)?

(Q5b) What is Coronel B's most famous saying?

(Q6) What self recognized war criminal received the Philippines highest award for WW2? (McArthur was refused this award because he left the Philippines).

Q3. Dragons (and if this is right, I think I read it in this forum, maybe in answer to this question)

Q6. Tomoyuki Yamashita

And JGN left out my question about the USS Tang (oops)

r.e. Q3 I meant quite awhile back, not Warspite's recent post here

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 3/25/2009 5:20:51 AM >

Paul

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 1054
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/25/2009 3:14:30 PM   
terje439

From JGN

Aircraft carriers and seaplane carriers were mostly named after mythical flying creatures.

Kaga: "Increased Joy", a province name (Kaga was originally laid down as a battleship).
Akagi: "Red Castle", a volcano in the Kanto area (Akagi was originally laid down as a battlecruiser).

It is considered unlucky to rename a ship after it has been named.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 1055
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 3/25/2009 6:18:16 PM   
terje439

JGN replies to one of the Qs

(A6) Lieutenant Edwin Price Ramsey led the last United States Army's last cavalry charge at the village of Morong, Bataan, on January 16, 1942.
After General Wainwright surrendered all United States forces in the Philippines he formed and led the guerilla forces in Central Luzon. Where he fought the Japanese and the Communist Huk guerillas.
He believed he was a war criminal because General Wainwright surrendered the Army was and he continued to fight. He sent critical intelligence information to General Douglas MacArthur in preparation for the liberation of the Philippines. After his return, General MacArthur personally awarded him the Distinguished Service Cross for his guerilla activities.

Awards by the Philippine government: Cross of Valor - Sagisag Ng Kagitingan, Distinguished Conduct Star, Distinguished Service Star, Legion of Honor - Commander Degree, Gold Cross, Wounded Personnel Medal, Philippine Defense Medal, and Philippine Liberation Medal.

He retired from the Army as a Colonel and was made an honorary Green Beret July 16, 2001.

Note: He is not on Wikipedia read the books on him. Several times he was as close as 6 feet from Japanese troops and his daylight bicycle ride through occupied Manila was very interesting 8)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 1056
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/6/2009 6:40:23 PM   
wfzimmerman

Time to decloak on the Wargamer's WWII Quiz book, to be published in honor of Steve Hokanson's heroic work in completing Matrix World In Flames. As described in this thread, the goal is to publish the book on MWIF's release date, July 27, 2009. All author's royalties will be donated to Steve as a "thank you" from the community.

To get there in time, I need to enlist your help in "crowd-sourcing" the editing and publication. I have created a Google Form that should be accessible to anyone regardless of whether you have a Google ID. The URL is:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=cDEzN1hBYU81UGUwSUZUMmdEM3JkTkE6MA..

As the form explains, you must agree to the contributor's contract, which essentially says you are donating your efforts, but will receive an author's copy of the book, and you must affirm that what you are contributing is not copyrighted. the form is set up to allow the entry of up to four questions and answers. You can do this as many times as you want. If you really want to get industrial about this (and please do!), just send me an email to wfz at nimblebooks doht com and I will add you as a collaborator to the Google Doc.

(Fixed authentication issue. Should work without ID now.)

< Message edited by wfzimmerman -- 4/6/2009 8:28:57 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 1057
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/6/2009 9:41:25 PM   
wfzimmerman

It's working.  Pile on!

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 1058
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/6/2009 11:05:00 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Q3: During the later stages of the war, the IJN experimented by rebuilding some of their BBs, into what?

Carriers !

Aye, or a gobetween but I'll allow carriers Either CVs with BB guns in the front, or BBs with CV deck in the rear

The hybrids weren't the last carries Japan tried to build. The third Yamato battlship, Shinano, was converted to a straight carrier. No battleship guns.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 1059
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/6/2009 11:06:50 PM   
Mad Russian

1) Which Soviet tank during WWII caused Soviet infantry to flee from it in "tank terror"?

2) What was Patton's Headquarters known as?

3) What German vehicle was known as Guderian's Duck?

4) Which were the only two fighter planes in the IJN to fly off Japanese carriers?

5) What WWII AFV was known as the Land Battleship?

6) Which units used cricket makers for unit recognition?

7) Which was the highest scoring American tanker? What was the name of the tank he rode in?

8) Which Allied nation was cannibalizing and decommissioning divisions to keep it's armies fighting in the field to the end of the war?

9) What aircraft was know as String Bag?

10) During the night raid on the Scope, Moehne and Eder dams on the Ruhr River. special bombs were made that had to be dropped from an exact speed and height. How did the British determine the height of their aircraft off the water during the night raid.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/6/2009 11:23:03 PM >

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 1060
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/6/2009 11:28:37 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

1) Which Soviet tank during WWII caused Soviet infantry to flee from it in "tank terror"?

4) Which were the only two fighter planes in the IJN to fly off Japanese carriers?

7) Which was the highest scoring American tanker? What was the name of the tank he rode in?

8) Which Allied nation was cannibalizing and decommissioning divisions to keep it's armies fighting in the field to the end of the war?

10) During the night raid on the Scope, Moehne and Eder dams on the Ruhr River. special bombs were made that had to be dropped from an exact speed and height. How did the British determine the height of their aircraft off the water during the night raid.

Good Hunting.

MR

6 - US airborne troops in Normandy.

10 - two spot lights set at a fixed angle such that when the lights merged, the plane was at the correct height.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 1061
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 12:15:33 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Good Hunting.

MR

6 - US airborne troops in Normandy.

10 - two spot lights set at a fixed angle such that when the lights merged, the plane was at the correct height.

Yes, both those answers are correct.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1062
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 1:29:36 AM   
macgregor

4- I would say the A5M Claude and the A6M2 Zero. There was an A6M5, but I'm going to say there were no carriers to station them at the time of their appearance.
9- The 'Stringbag' was the nickname of Fairey Swordfish, which flew from British carriers for most of the war.

Post #: 1063
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 1:56:36 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

4- I would say the A5M Claude and the A6M2 Zero. There was an A6M5, but I'm going to say there were no carriers to station them at the time of their appearance.
9- The 'Stringbag' was the nickname of Fairey Swordfish, which flew from British carriers for most of the war.

4) The A5M Claude was assigned to the carriers HOSHO, ZUIHO, RYUJO, TAIYO, KAGA, SORYU and HIRYU.

The Zeke 21, which I think is the A6M2 Zero, served on AKAGI, ZUHIO, ZUIKAKU, SORYU and SHOKAKU.

The Zeke 22, which I think is the A6M5 Zero, served on SHOKAKU and ZUIKAKU.

That would mean that the A5M Claude flew from the decks of seven Japanese carriers and the A6M Zero flew from the decks of only five.

The IJN participated in two major carrier operations in 1944.

The Mariana's operation, which involved the carriers TAIYO, SHOKAKU, ZUIKAKU, JUNYO, HIYO, CHIYODA, CHITOSE and ZUIHO.

The Battle of the Phillipine Sea, which involved the carriers ZUIKAKU, CHIYODA, CHITOSE and ZUIHO.

The two fighters I was looking for were the A5 and A6 fighters. Or Claude and Zero. The model numbers wouldn't be important and it appears that all the model numbers you posted were there anyway.

You have the Stringbag answer correct as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/7/2009 2:15:06 AM >

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 1064
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 5:55:31 AM   
Froonp

quote:

It's more complicated than that.

Model 22 is the A6M3.
But A6M3 also came in in Model 32.

A6M5 is Model 52, that came in in 4 different versions IIRC. Model 52, Model 52a, 52b and 52c.

Post #: 1065
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 11:57:48 AM   
monkla

Q5 The so cool looking T-35.

Q8 Don't really know but would guess the British.

Leigh

Post #: 1066
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 12:57:13 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkla

Q5 The so cool looking T-35.

Q8 Don't really know but would guess the British.

Leigh

Yes, the T-35 was called the land battleship. There was a long time where it was claimed they weren't used in combat. Over the past 10 years or so, with the increased access to Soviet records, it appears that it did fight but was very ineffective.

The British had a manpower shortage dating back from WWI. As WWII progressed they were literally running out of men. They did everything they could to keep as many combat effective units in the field. That included decommissioning some divisions to keep others going.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/7/2009 1:07:57 PM >

(in reply to monkla)
Post #: 1067
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 1:01:06 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

It's more complicated than that.

Model 22 is the A6M3.
But A6M3 also came in in Model 32.

A6M5 is Model 52, that came in in 4 different versions IIRC. Model 52, Model 52a, 52b and 52c.

The source I have for the unit assignments only lists Zeke 21 and Zeke 22. I know there was a much more widespread usage of the Zero on IJN carriers than what is shown above. That explains why. The term Zeke is the Allied code word for the Zero fighter. Until I went back to look up which ships they were assigned to I wasn't aware that the Allies had different numbers for the "Zeke".

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1068
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 1:22:49 PM   
Mad Russian

11) What was the first IJN carrier sunk during the war?

12) What are the two places known in WWII as the most bombed place on earth? One was bombed by the Axis, the other was bombed by the Allies.

13) Was the German tank force destroyed during the Battle of Kursk?

14) What is the largest successful military operation of all time?

15) What is the largest unsuccessful military operation of all time?

16) Which American general thought the 75mm gun armed Sherman was big enough to win the war without up-gunning it?

17) Which Allied tank was so successful that they tried to camouflage it's appearance. German gunners were ordered to fire at it first.

18) Which Allied AFV had the main gun pointing over the rear of the vehicle instead of facing forward?

19) Who recommended that the T-34 be sent back to Germany and put into production?

20) The US, British and German aces are all well known. What about some of the others though, who was Italy's highest scoring ace in WWII and what was his score?

Good Hunting.

MR 

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/7/2009 1:39:58 PM >

Post #: 1069
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 1:38:18 PM   
Mad Russian

21) What is the largest ship ever sunk by a submarine?

22) Who in the German Army was simply known as "The Count"?

23) Which country entered WWII with a rifle it thought too ineffective, stopped production of the weapon, then restarted it's production which then lasted to the end of the war?

24) How many Soviet Tank and Mechanized Corps were there from 1942 to the end of the war? Counting Guards units as well.

25) The United States had how many cavalry divisions during WWII?

26) By the end of the war Canada was making 60% of which Allied machinegun?

27) Where is Hangman's Hill?

28) What did the Soviets call the M3 Lee tank supplied to them as Lend Lease?

29) Which German fighter aircraft had an engine and propeller at both the front and the back of the aircraft?

30) Which American fighter was shown to be the most maneuverable during test trials at the end of the war?

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/7/2009 1:42:26 PM >

Post #: 1070
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 2:13:58 PM   
Mad Russian

31) What was the largest operational tank in WWII?

32) What German city did Eisenhower consider just a "geographic location"?

33) What did the term "rock soup" mean?

34) What two hammer blows were triggered on the anniversary of Germany's invasion of the Soviet Union? They were the same year and were set to compliment each other.

35) What was Churchill referring to when he was talking about "the Beast"?

36) Who was Finland's highest scoring ace?

37) What does the word Currahee mean and who used it as a battlecry?

38) Which German Panzer Divisions used the Pz35(t) as their main equipment during the fighting in Russia?

39) What American piece of equipment soon came to be feared by Allied tankers after it's introduction into combat?

40) What was the single most effective weapon that airforces of all nations employed during WWII not counting the atomic bomb?

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/7/2009 2:15:12 PM >

Post #: 1071
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 2:27:05 PM   
wfzimmerman

Hey Mad Russian,

Would you like to participate in the QUIZ BOOK project?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2071539

Form: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=cDEzN1hBYU81UGUwSUZUMmdEM3JkTkE6MA

(please say yes ...)

Post #: 1072
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 2:44:33 PM   
Mad Russian

41) Who was the first foreign soldier to capture an intact Soviet T-34 tank and drive it?

42) Which German Panzer Division entered Russia by driving submerged under a river?

43) What does the term "cat fur" refer to when talking about German tanks?

44) When called a "Lucky Bastard" which American general replied, "I'd rather be lucky than good. Good will only take you so far but luck will take you all the way."

45) Which country used dogs to attack tanks?

46) The T-34 was the most produced vehicle by the Soviet Union. What was the second most produced vehicle?

47) The British tried to deploy the Mosquito aircraft to the Pacific theater. Why was it called back?

48) Which Allied fighter is credited with destroying more Axis aircraft than any other?

49) Which is the only unit to have fought at Normandy, Arnhem, Aachen, the Huertgen Forest, in the Ardennes offensive, at the Reichswald and in the Ruhr Pocket?

50) What plane did the Japanese call the "Whistling Death"?

Good Hunting.

MR

Post #: 1073
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 2:50:25 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: wfzimmerman

Hey Mad Russian,

Would you like to participate in the QUIZ BOOK project?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2071539

Form: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=cDEzN1hBYU81UGUwSUZUMmdEM3JkTkE6MA

(please say yes ...)

I'm trying to help you here with all these questions.....

Let me see what I can do over the next few days. I just found your project and haven't really had time to look at it yet beyond sitting down and looking at my library.

So far I've just looked at the titles of some of the books I've got and came up with these facts/questions. I have a single fact book on WWII but I've not opened it yet for any of these questions. They come from individual sources. Many of them not on the internet, so googling won't help find the answers. Those are the best kind in a quiz thread....

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 1074
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 2:56:37 PM   
Mad Russian

What concerns me is your idea of copyright material. If it's already in a book, that is published, it's copyrighted. So, unless you have gone out and done every bit of the research and interviews yourself, you are going to get almost exclusively information that has been copyrighted somewhere.

That shouldn't be an issue as long as you give them credit for it. That's how it's normally done. If you want to discuss this more we can either do PM's or emails. IMO, this thread really isn't the place for this.

Good Hunting.

MR

Post #: 1075
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 3:08:03 PM   
micheljq

quote:

11) What was the first IJN carrier sunk during the war? Soho? ack do not remember.

12) What are the two places known in WWII as the most bombed place on earth? One was bombed by the Axis, the other was bombed by the Allies. Dresden by the allies and Stalingrad by the Axis

13) Was the German tank force destroyed during the Battle of Kursk? No, but hurt a lot.

14) What is the largest successful military operation of all time? D-day?

15) What is the largest unsuccessful military operation of all time? Operation Zitadel?

16) Which American general thought the 75mm gun armed Sherman was big enough to win the war without up-gunning it? Patton?

17) Which Allied tank was so successful that they tried to camouflage it's appearance. German gunners were ordered to fire at it first. Sherman Firefly?

19) Who recommended that the T-34 be sent back to Germany and put into production? Guderian?
Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by micheljq -- 4/7/2009 3:17:53 PM >

Post #: 1076
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 3:10:37 PM   
micheljq

quote:

21) What is the largest ship ever sunk by a submarine? Battleship HMS Barham?

23) Which country entered WWII with a rifle it thought too ineffective, stopped production of the weapon, then restarted it's production which then lasted to the end of the war? USSR?

Good Hunting.

MR

Post #: 1077
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 3:11:21 PM   
composer99

The answer to MR's Q.14 is probably Bagration.

~ Composer99

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 1078
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 3:16:43 PM   
micheljq

quote:

45) Which country used dogs to attack tanks? USSR at the beginning of the war, after some time german troops were able to recognize and shoot them. The soviets were sending dogs with explosives attached to them at the germans vehicles and infantry. That was not a very successfull tactic.

46) The T-34 was the most produced vehicle by the Soviet Union. What was the second most produced vehicle? T34/85?

48) Which Allied fighter is credited with destroying more Axis aircraft than any other? F6F Hellcat?

49) Which is the only unit to have fought at Normandy, Arnhem, Aachen, the Huertgen Forest, in the Ardennes offensive, at the Reichswald and in the Ruhr Pocket? Easy company of the 101st airborne division?

Good Hunting.

MR

Post #: 1079
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 4/7/2009 3:21:33 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

11) What was the first IJN carrier sunk during the war? Soho? ack do not remember.

12) What are the two places known in WWII as the most bombed place on earth? One was bombed by the Axis, the other was bombed by the Allies. Dresden by the allies?

13) Was the German tank force destroyed during the Battle of Kursk? No, but hurt a lot.

14) What is the largest successful military operation of all time? D-day?

15) What is the largest unsuccessful military operation of all time? Operation Zitadel?

16) Which American general thought the 75mm gun armed Sherman was big enough to win the war without up-gunning it? Patton?

17) Which Allied tank was so successful that they tried to camouflage it's appearance. German gunners were ordered to fire at it first. Sherman Firefly?

19) Who recommended that the T-34 be sent back to Germany and put into production? Guderian?
Good Hunting.

MR

11) Soho is correct.

12) That's not correct.

13) That's not correct but the question is bad after I look at it.

14) That's not correct. D-Day is the largest amphibious operation but far from the largest military operation.

15) That's not correct. Zitadelle, as large as it was, doesn't even come close.

16) That's correct.

17) That's correct.

19) That's correct.

Not bad. Still some correct answers missing though....

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 1080
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI