Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/18/2008 12:00:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjopel

The Hawaii CB-3 was commissioned. 

http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/h3/hawaii.htm

Hawaii

An American island territory in the Pacific, later the 50th State.

(CB-3: dp. 27,500; l. 808'6" ; b. 90'10" ; dr. 27'1" s. 33 k.; a. 9 12" planned; cl. Alaska)

Hawaii (CB-3) was launched 3 November 1945 by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N.J.; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph R. Farrington, wife of the delegate from the Territory of Hawaii. One of a projected class of six battle cruiser type ships, of which only two were com-pleted, Hawaii and her sisters were designed to cope with the large German "pocket battleships" and Japanese armored cruisers. Due to the reduction in defense expenditures after World War II, her construction was suspended. In September 1947 she stood 84 percent complete. For a time it was planned that Hawaii should be converted to the Navy's first guided missile ship, but she remained in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Her classification was changed to large command ship, CBC-1, 26 February 1952 when conversion was again contemplated; but she reverted to her original classification 9 October 1954 and was sold for scrap to Boston Metals Co., Baltimore, Md., in 1959 after being struck from the Navy List 9 June 1958.

Warspite1

Yes I know - but she was NOT a battleship - which Terje`s question should have been

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 121
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/18/2008 1:41:09 PM   
micheljq

Q: What was General McAuliffe's reply when asked to surrender at Bastogne?

Answer : nuts!

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 122
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/18/2008 2:22:02 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Actually that was a mix up. He was replying to his adjutant's question about what he would like on his ice-cream. Luckily for the Allies it all turned out alright

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 123
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/18/2008 3:18:10 PM   
Sewerlobster

If these are WWII questions then Hawaii and Alaska were not yet states.

Why choose the lesser evil: Vote Cthulhu.

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 124
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/18/2008 5:03:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: SewerStarFish

Warspite1

Yes - but that is not what the question was limited to - it was in the "modern ship-building era" - so post WWII too.

I think we have now covered adequately the fact that Terje has got his question completely wrong and that he has badly let himself down thanks to this shoddy piece of quiz mastering. I am sure he will promise to do the decent thing and never darken the pages of this forum ever again.

(in reply to Sewerlobster)
Post #: 125
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/18/2008 5:33:04 PM   
composer99

Since Nielster brings up American servicemen & ice cream, my understanding is that there was a USN ship in service during WWII that did nothing else (or almost nothing else, anyway) save produce ice cream for the US servicemen in the Pacific theatre.

Now THAT's logistical support.

On another (OT for quiz but not for war food/logistics trivia) note, in the WWI novel All Quiet on the Western Front, the author depicts the faltering of the German war effort via the gradual decline in the quality of the rations the characters receive.

~ Composer99

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 126
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/18/2008 6:07:35 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Since Nielster brings up American servicemen & ice cream, my understanding is that there was a USN ship in service during WWII that did nothing else (or almost nothing else, anyway) save produce ice cream for the US servicemen in the Pacific theatre.

Now THAT's logistical support.

On another (OT for quiz but not for war food/logistics trivia) note, in the WWI novel All Quiet on the Western Front, the author depicts the faltering of the German war effort via the gradual decline in the quality of the rations the characters receive.

My reading of it is that little luxuries like ice-cream makers were common on U.S. Navy vessels (and most probably many other places besides). When the British were around, Naval conferences tended to occur on their ships. They weren't "dry" you see? Glug glug. "Medicinal purposes only" etc

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 127
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/18/2008 9:30:26 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Michel, in case that interest you for your avatar, here is the 2 Can ARM Corps from MWiF. But I believe someone else already use it (Paul Derynck). Do you want another Canadian unit ?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Froonp -- 7/18/2008 9:32:09 PM >

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 128
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/18/2008 10:47:59 PM   
NeBert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kaletsch2007

The ME262 was designed as a Fighter and Hitler wanted to have a Fastbomber. So they had to redesign the plan to put mounts for bombs.
It was Galland who was able, because of his reputation, to put together at least on squadron of Fighters.
The Fighter design was finished somewhen in late 43. Could anyone imagine, what 200 of the fighters would have done to the Allied bombers in 43 ?!

Sorry, but this story is one of the great myths of WW2 which is according to modern history research NOT TRUE!
Galland, Messerschmitt and other key personnal around the german fighter "business" built this myth after war and lots of books copied and copied and copied - nobody seemed to make real research in the archives until the early 90ies.

Status of such researches is:
In 42 and 43 the development of the 262 and the engines (Jumo004) were pushed as much as possible (Gen. Milch wanted Messerschmitt to build 30 prototypes in Dec 42!) but this was simply not possible - and it didn´t happen.
Hitlers famous question weather the 262 could carry bombs was asked on Nov 26th 1943 after a demonstration of the 262 V6 in Insterburg/east prussia. Note the V6 means this was the 6th prototype!!! The V7 had its first flight on Dec 20th 1943.....

Moreover the engine development was in trouble, the Jumo was evaluated as unreliable. However the release for the serial production of the Jumo004B was given in Jan 1944, still with many "children diseases" (german phrase ) but pressure was kept high to bring the 262 to the front.

On Mar 18th 1944 the V8 had its first flight - main task of this aircraft was the test of the MK 108 cannons (so the first 262 with weapons on board...).

On Mar 28th 1944 the first serial 262 was finished. Due to the lack of prototypes (some were already crashed or damaged) this aircraft was also put to the flight test of Messerschmitt.

On Apr 15th 1944 the V10 (which was the first fighter bomber) had its first flight.

My conclusion after reading 4 books about the 262 written by different authors in the 1990s or later is that there are no facts in the archives that the 262 was dramatically blocked (not more than other developments).

Regards

NeBert

(in reply to Kaletsch2007)
Post #: 129
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/19/2008 7:24:34 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: SewerStarFish

Warspite1

Yes - but that is not what the question was limited to - it was in the "modern ship-building era" - so post WWII too.

I think we have now covered adequately the fact that Terje has got his question completely wrong and that he has badly let himself down thanks to this shoddy piece of quiz mastering. I am sure he will promise to do the decent thing and never darken the pages of this forum ever again.

Yes, I feel ashamed. I will TRY to resist the urge to post when I am really way to tired to do so effectively. However WWII saw the end of the BB building era, so I will have to give SewerStarFish right. Alaska and Hawaii were not US states during the BB build era.

But I promise to do better from now on. *sitting in the corner ashamed*

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 130
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/19/2008 7:43:49 AM   
terje439

Q1: What German tank model was the most common? (PzI, PzII, PzIII, PzIV, PzV, PzVI)

Q2: Who was the most successful German Uboat commander in terms of tons of sunk merchant ships?

Q3: What Norwegian warship was captured by the Germans, renamed Nymphe and rebuilt as a floating AA-battery?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 131
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/19/2008 8:07:22 AM   
jnier

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjopel

This is trickier and hopefully hard to Google. What strange method of guiding American air-launched weapons was suggested by a famous researcher towards the end of the Second World War?

Cheers, Neilster

Pigeons.  They were to have a TV guidance and the pigeons were taught to peck for food on the pictures on enemy warships.

And I didn't even Google it.

I believe this is correct. And the famous scientist in question was the psychologist B.F. Skinner, IIRC.

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 132
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/19/2008 8:29:19 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Q1: What German tank model was the most common? (PzI, PzII, PzIII, PzIV, PzV, PzVI)

Q2: Who was the most successful German Uboat commander in terms of tons of sunk merchant ships?

Q3: What Norwegian warship was captured by the Germans, renamed Nymphe and rebuilt as a floating AA-battery?

Did you recently discover a WW2 quizz book in your attic ?
Where does those questions come from ?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 133
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/19/2008 8:31:15 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Boredom ^^
But to be honest, I ALWAYS read atleast one WWII book at all times. (3 now though... Yes, I admit it, I am indeed a WWII geek )

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 134
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/19/2008 9:01:15 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Boredom ^^
But to be honest, I ALWAYS read atleast one WWII book at all times. (3 now though... Yes, I admit it, I am indeed a WWII geek )

Warspite1

That`s one of the great things about this forum - its rare in every day life working in a bank to meet similarly minded WWII geeks

P.S What are the three books you are reading at the moment - I`m reading the Sinking of the Prince of Wales and Repulse which I recommend.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/19/2008 9:02:37 AM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 135
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/19/2008 9:05:23 AM   
Neilster

quote:

If by most common you mean most produced, my guess would be the Pz IV as it was produced throughout the war.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 136
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/19/2008 9:07:39 AM   
terje439

book 1: "Lidell Hart - The other side of the hill" - interviews with German generals post WWII
book 2: "Heather Pringle - "The master Plan" - Himmler's master race
book 3: Guido Knopp - "Hitlers Krieger" - About some of Hilter's "warriors", Rommel, Keitel, Manstein, Paulus, Udet, Canaris. This book only scratches the surface, but still makes for good reading actually, trying to make a picture about the person behind the "icon".

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 137
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/19/2008 9:08:14 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

If by most common you mean most produced, my guess would be the Pz IV as it was produced throughout the war.

Cheers, Neilster

I did indeed, PzIV would be correct.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 138
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/20/2008 5:03:31 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

P.S What are the three books you are reading at the moment - I`m reading the Sinking of the Prince of Wales and Repulse which I recommend.

The book or the sinking?

Paul

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 139
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/20/2008 5:29:54 AM   
Norman42

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

The book or the sinking?

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 140
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/20/2008 9:10:56 AM   
NeBert

quote:

Otto Kretschmer (U99) - 46 ships - 273073 tons within 1 1/2 years.
POW from 17-Mar-1941. One of the few U-Boat men that survived WW2.

< Message edited by NeBert -- 7/20/2008 9:11:49 AM >

NeBert

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 141
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/20/2008 11:35:38 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeBert

quote:

Otto Kretschmer (U99) - 46 ships - 273073 tons within 1 1/2 years.
POW from 17-Mar-1941. One of the few U-Boat men that survived WW2.

Seems I need to hand out another sigar then

(in reply to NeBert)
Post #: 142
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/20/2008 1:05:43 PM   
tigercub

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigercub

when was the worlds first computer made and what for?
Warspite1

Don`t know what that`s got to do with WWII - but from my computer studies lessons back in the early 80`s wasn`t it something to do with Charles Babbage and Napier`s bones?? Late 1700`s/early 1800`s.

Babbage, working from the 1820s until his death in 1871, didn't complete his mechanical computing machines. He kept tinkering with the designs and was a hard man to work for. His Difference Engine has since been built and it works. His Analytical Engine would have been a true computer.

There are some other contenders but generally it's considered the first electronic computer was Colossus, built by the British. It was used for code-breaking and generally on the Fish (German High Command) intercepts if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Neilster

Neilster thanks i am late getting back to look but yes the Colossus was the worlds first computer and had it not been made we may have lost WW2 or at least millions more would have died. The germans code was the most advanced code in the world bar none and the computer cracked it and now look at what computers have done and were it has taken the world. This was a massive leap in technology was keep a secret for many years after the war and should never be underestamated.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 143
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/20/2008 2:49:34 PM   
Neilster

quote:

Neilster thanks i am late getting back to look but yes the Colossus was the worlds first computer and had it not been made we may have lost WW2 or at least millions more would have died. The germans code was the most advanced code in the world bar none and the computer cracked it and now look at what computers have done and were it has taken the world. This was a massive leap in technology was keep a secret for many years after the war and should never be underestamated.

No worries but the Enigma codes were mostly broken using mathematical techniques, clues and electromechanical computers called "bombs". The first Colossus didn't begin operation until early 1944 and was used on the highest level codes. These were very important but the really crucial work was done by Polish, French and British code-breakers immediately before the war and in the years 1939-1943.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 144
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/21/2008 1:33:12 AM   
tigercub

All true, Neilster jan 1944 colossus came to life, the rate that humans could decode was very slow taking weeks(the smartest mathematics guys in the UK) to do what Colossus could in hours and D-Day was in jeopardy and speed was needed,These were very important but the really crucial work was done by Polish ,yes they stole a early 3-4 ?wheel Enigma and the germans thinking it was lost in action took no action.

Von

< Message edited by tigercub -- 7/21/2008 1:40:32 AM >

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 145
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/21/2008 3:15:37 PM   
oscar72se

quote:

Q3 was not a terribly easy question to answer, I had to do some searching on the internet (cheating) before I could find the right answer...
Found the history of the vessel here: navalwarfare.blogspot.com

EDIT:
Obviously I didn't examine your signature close enough

/Oscar

< Message edited by oscar72se -- 7/21/2008 3:29:11 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 146
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/21/2008 3:27:26 PM   
oscar72se

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

I did indeed, PzIV would be correct.

I am not trying be clever here, but wasn't the Pz III produced in greater numbers than the Pz IV? My assumption is based on the fact that germans used the Pz III chassis for their StuG IIIs, which essentially means that they equipped their tanks with a different gun and renamed them. The StuG III was by far the most common german assault gun during WW2. If I remember correctly however, the Pz IV was the most common panzer during WW2.

/Oscar

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 147
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/21/2008 5:19:02 PM   
Neilster

quote:

I am not trying be clever here, but wasn't the Pz III produced in greater numbers than the Pz IV? My assumption is based on the fact that germans used the Pz III chassis for their StuG IIIs, which essentially means that they equipped their tanks with a different gun and renamed them. The StuG III was by far the most common german assault gun during WW2. If I remember correctly however, the Pz IV was the most common panzer during WW2.

But assault guns weren't tanks. The question was about tanks. No turrent...no tank. Them's the rules Not that I care really.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to oscar72se)
Post #: 148
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/21/2008 11:07:46 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

But assault guns weren't tanks. The question was about tanks. No turrent...no tank. Them's the rules Not that I care really.

Cheers, Neilster

Correct, or almost correct. To get a 100% it should have been revolving turret

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 149
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/22/2008 12:47:24 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: oscar72se

quote:

Q3 was not a terribly easy question to answer, I had to do some searching on the internet (cheating) before I could find the right answer...
Found the history of the vessel here: navalwarfare.blogspot.com

EDIT:
Obviously I didn't examine your signature close enough

/Oscar

Hehe
You are ofc correct, and yes just looking to the left would have been a rather good hint

(in reply to oscar72se)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI