Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/22/2008 12:55:06 AM   
terje439

Q1: During the German attack on Norway, the city of Narvik was attacked. When reports of this reached the Admiralty in England, they thought the name Narvik to be misspelled, what city did they think was attacked instead of Narvik?
Q2: What German ship was renamed for fear of morale losses at home if she was sunk with her initial name?
Q3: During the later stages of the war, the IJN experimented by rebuilding some of their BBs, into what?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 151
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/22/2008 2:30:08 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Q1: During the German attack on Norway, the city of Narvik was attacked. When reports of this reached the Admiralty in England, they thought the name Narvik to be misspelled, what city did they think was attacked instead of Narvik?
Q2: What German ship was renamed for fear of morale losses at home if she was sunk with her initial name?
Q3: During the later stages of the war, the IJN experimented by rebuilding some of their BBs, into what?

Yay!

At last a question I can answer. Ofc you all can answer it but I am fastest.

Q2: The ship Deutchland was renamed Lützow.

-Orm

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 152
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/22/2008 8:31:16 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Yay!

At last a question I can answer. Ofc you all can answer it but I am fastest.

Q2: The ship Deutchland was renamed Lützow.

-Orm

It was indeed

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 153
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/22/2008 8:52:52 AM   
Froonp

quote:

Carriers !

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 154
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/22/2008 8:58:18 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Carriers !

Aye, or a gobetween but I'll allow carriers Either CVs with BB guns in the front, or BBs with CV deck in the rear

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 155
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/22/2008 10:55:48 AM   
terje439

Have to post some more Qs just to get 500 posts before I go to bed

[b)Q1: see previous post
Q2: 1942 is said to be the year of 3 great turning-battles in 3 different theathres of war, which battles and which theaters?
Q3: How would allied fighter pilots handle V1 rockets apart from firing at them (which was not something to recomend)?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 156
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/22/2008 11:18:46 AM   
Orm

quote:

Q2: 1942 is said to be the year of 3 great turning-battles in 3 different theathres of war, which battles and which theaters?
Q3: How would allied fighter pilots handle V1 rockets apart from firing at them (which was not something to recomend)?

Q2: The Battle of Stalingrad - The Battle of El Alamein - The Battle of Midway

Q3: The allied fighter pilots would fly alongside the V1 rocket and be so close to it with their wingtips that the turbulence (or whatever it is called) made the V1 turn and spin out of control.

-Orm

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 157
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/22/2008 11:52:38 AM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

Q2: The Battle of Stalingrad - The Battle of El Alamein - The Battle of Midway

Q3: The allied fighter pilots would fly alongside the V1 rocket and be so close to it with their wingtips that the turbulence (or whatever it is called) made the V1 turn and spin out of control.

-Orm

Yup on both. Stalingrad - Europe, El Alamein - Africa, Midway - Pacific.
Some pilots would even place their wings under the wing of the V1 and flip it over with their own wing as well.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 158
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/22/2008 2:50:55 PM   
Orm

I think The Battle of El Alamein is often included for it was fought by the british and had an huge impact on morale. Some (most?) even claim it as a turnig point in afrika. The battle(s) of El Alamein was not close to the other two in the impact they made on the outcome of the war.

The british had already won the fight in Africa. El Alamein just showed it to the masses and is as such a turning point.

-Orm

PS: I have a feeling I will regret that I wrote this.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 159
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/22/2008 3:22:08 PM   
terje439

quote:

I think The Battle of El Alamein is often included for it was fought by the british and had an huge impact on morale. Some (most?) even claim it as a turnig point in afrika. The battle(s) of El Alamein was not close to the other two in the impact they made on the outcome of the war.

The british had already won the fight in Africa. El Alamein just showed it to the masses and is as such a turning point.

-Orm

Hehe, well...
There were in fact several battles of El Alamein, and I agree, at the start of this one (the last one), the Allies had allready won due to numbers. It is often included due to the fact that this was the (to steal from the ACW) Axis high tide in Africa, from now on they were driven back.
And to say that El Alamein determined the battle for Africa is of course only half truth at best, it determined the outcome in North Africa, the rest of the continent was largely firmly at allied hands and was never really threathened by the Axis.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 160
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/22/2008 9:52:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

-Orm

Warspite1

A British victory? The desert saw major units from all corners of the Commonwealth fighting together. The OB for El-Alamein has divisions from Britain, New Zealand, Australia, India and South Africa. (Canadians were of course in the UK at the time training for the second front and some units were to be sent to Italy after Africa was cleared).

Was El-Alamein a turning point? Yes of course it was. The 1st battle of El-Alamein checked and blunted the German`s final advance on Egypt. The 2nd turned the Desert War because Rommel was then completely beaten and on the defensive.

Coral Sea checked the Japanese territorial gains in the Pacific and then Midway turned the tide so Japan was on the defensive.

The fighting at Stalingrad checked and blunted the German advance east and then the result of Operation Uranus turned the tide so that with the exception of Kharkov, the Germans never won a major battle in the east again.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/22/2008 9:53:17 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 161
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 1:02:55 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

A British victory? The desert saw major units from all corners of the Commonwealth fighting together. The OB for El-Alamein has divisions from Britain, New Zealand, Australia, India and South Africa. (Canadians were of course in the UK at the time training for the second front and some units were to be sent to Italy after Africa was cleared).

Was El-Alamein a turning point? Yes of course it was. The 1st battle of El-Alamein checked and blunted the German`s final advance on Egypt. The 2nd turned the Desert War because Rommel was then completely beaten and on the defensive.

Coral Sea checked the Japanese territorial gains in the Pacific and then Midway turned the tide so Japan was on the defensive.

The fighting at Stalingrad checked and blunted the German advance east and then the result of Operation Uranus turned the tide so that with the exception of Kharkov, the Germans never won a major battle in the east again.

I would be amazed if not most of the world see it as a British Victory.

You can list the OOB but to me there are other things as well that decides this.

If you go into listing the OOB for most battles (Of WWII) then few would be a British victory.
For Example: In the battle for Britain there was pilots from Poland so then that wasn't a British victory. I have yet to hear someone claim that Poland won the battle for Britain with the British. Most aknowledge that the poles contributed but that is different.

If you ask someone what nations won WWII I will be amazed if they named any nation except SovietUnion, China, Great Britain, France and USA.

The CW contributed alot to the war in Africa but with Great Britain controlling the campaigns and appointing commanding Generals it is for me a British campaign.

And India, correct me if I am wrong, was under the direct rule of the British Crown as a colony of the British Empire.

-Orm

< Message edited by Orm -- 7/23/2008 1:04:07 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 162
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 6:13:15 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

Norfolk ?

Paul

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 163
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 6:15:30 AM   
paulderynck

Here's one: What Vichy territory was invaded by the Commonwealth in May 1942 and took 6 months to subdue?

Paul

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 164
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 6:17:42 AM   
paulderynck

Another one: What is the more well known name of the U.S. 5307th Composite Unit (Provisional) and where did they gain their fame?

Paul

Post #: 165
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 6:25:54 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

Norfolk ?

Nah, they thought it was another Norwegian city with a rather similar name to Narvik

Post #: 166
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 6:31:59 AM   
terje439

quote:

Here's one: What Vichy territory was invaded by the Commonwealth in May 1942 and took 6 months to subdue?

Madagascar was attacked around that time was it not? Due to fear that the Japanese might seize it unless I am mistaken.

Post #: 167
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 6:33:20 AM   
terje439

quote:

Another one: What is the more well known name of the U.S. 5307th Composite Unit (Provisional) and where did they gain their fame?

Merrill's Maurauders - Burma

Post #: 168
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 6:39:17 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

Merrill's Maurauders - Burma

Correct on both this and Madagascar.

Paul

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 169
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 6:39:45 AM   
terje439

Q1: The Narvik Q still stands
Q2: What was the name of the organisation that helped nazi war criminals escape from prosecution?
Q3: What South American nation issued DOWs on the Axis nations on August 22nd 1942?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 170
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 6:40:40 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

Q2: What was the name of the organisation that helped nazi war criminals escape from prosecution?

Odessa

Paul

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 171
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 6:41:16 AM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

Odessa

Dang that's fast!! And correct ofc

Post #: 172
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 7:01:16 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

quote:

Odessa

Well I thought my two might last more than a few minutes.

Paul

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 173
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 7:02:52 AM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Odessa

Well I thought my two might last more than a few minutes.

Nah, you need obscure Norwegian cities for that

Post #: 174
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 7:12:35 AM   
paulderynck

Which country had the third largest navy in the world at the end of WWII?

Paul

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 175
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 7:23:19 AM   
terje439

quote:

Which country had the third largest navy in the world at the end of WWII?

Longshot - Canada? Know they took over quite a few ships from the Brits. But does not sound correct to me...

Post #: 176
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 7:50:18 AM   
Norman42

Yes, Canada.

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 177
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 7:57:30 AM   
Norman42

With regards to El Alamien, yes it was mainly a British victory....since the Royal Navy was the primary reason Rommel lost Africa.  Monty and the Commonwealth lads only mopped up the hungry, fuel-starved remains of the Panzer Armee Afrika. 

On that note:

Q:  Who said "It takes 3 years to rebuild a ship, it takes 300 years to rebuild a tradition."

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 178
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 8:05:42 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norman42

With regards to El Alamien, yes it was mainly a British victory....since the Royal Navy was the primary reason Rommel lost Africa.  Monty and the Commonwealth lads only mopped up the hungry, fuel-starved remains of the Panzer Armee Afrika. 

On that note:

Q:  Who said "It takes 3 years to rebuild a ship, it takes 300 years to rebuild a tradition."

cannot be an AMerican then 300 years would be too long
Churchill?

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 179
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 9:41:25 AM   
Orm

quote:

Q1: The Narvik Q still stands
Q3: What South American nation issued DOWs on the Axis nations on August 22nd 1942?

Q1: Could it be Larvik?

-Orm

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI