Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Next quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Next quiz - 2/9/2011 12:34:00 PM   
cantona2

Portsmouth

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1831
RE: Next quiz - 2/9/2011 4:39:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Portsmouth

Warspite1

It is indeed - Pompey beat Wolverhampton Wanderers 4-1 in the 1939 FA Cup final, meaning that - thanks to Adolf Hitler -they kept hold of the famous trophy until 1946 when the competition re-started. So although other teams have held the cup for three years - having won the competition three times in a row (The Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers), and Sheffield United have held it for four years (thanks to World War I) - the record of seven years is held by the club from the the great naval city.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 1832
RE: Next quiz - 2/9/2011 6:28:31 PM   
cantona2

So is it my turn now?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1833
RE: Next quiz - 2/9/2011 6:48:05 PM   
warspite1

quote:

So is it my turn now?

Warspite1

By all means

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 1834
RE: Next quiz - 2/9/2011 7:57:31 PM   
cantona2

Where is the only place 'it snowed in september?'

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1835
RE: Next quiz - 2/9/2011 8:04:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Arnhem?

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 1836
RE: Next quiz - 2/9/2011 8:09:21 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

Could you elaborate please? Way up north, I imagine it snows in September quite often.

There's also the Sabrina Seth Davis poem, which references NYC and conflates  the ash from the September 11th attacks with snow.

There are probably some other ideas, but none that I immediately associate with WW2 though.....

< Message edited by Ur_Vile_WEdge -- 2/9/2011 8:10:22 PM >

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 1837
RE: Next quiz - 2/9/2011 8:27:42 PM   
cantona2

Arnhem it is. Kershaw's book on the battle is called it never snows in september

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 1838
RE: Next quiz - 2/9/2011 9:01:48 PM   
Plainian

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Arnhem?

Someone plays boardgames or follows the boardgame talk on consimworld. The boardgame Devils Cauldron by MMP was originally going to be called "It only snows in September" back in 2002. They changed the title somewhere along the line.
Snow in September in northern Europe must be pretty unusual? I've seen the usual old b/w pictures of 1st Airborne at Arnhem and there is no snow.
Good question and well answered.

< Message edited by Plain Ian -- 2/9/2011 9:03:43 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1839
RE: Next quiz - 2/9/2011 9:19:06 PM   
warspite1

What was the name of the first Royal Navy destroyer lost to enemy action in WWII?

(in reply to Plainian)
Post #: 1840
RE: Next quiz - 2/9/2011 9:30:41 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

What was the name of the first Royal Navy destroyer lost to enemy action in WWII?

To my knowledge, that would be the Blanche, which was sunk on November 13th, 1939.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1841
RE: Next quiz - 2/9/2011 9:43:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

To my knowledge, that would be the Blanche, which was sunk on November 13th, 1939.

Warspite1

...is the right answer

Post #: 1842
RE: Next quiz - 2/10/2011 4:41:22 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

I should stop answering questions, I'm terrible at coming up with my own, so I'll resort to what allfree-thinking people do when stumped; plagiarize.

What was the first U.S. destroyer sunk by hostile action in WW2, and when did she go down?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1843
RE: Next quiz - 2/10/2011 5:02:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I should stop answering questions, I'm terrible at coming up with my own, so I'll resort to what allfree-thinking people do when stumped; plagiarize.

What was the first U.S. destroyer sunk by hostile action in WW2, and when did she go down?

USS Reuben James in the North Atlantic - no idea when exactly other than it was before Pearl Harbor - guess September 1941.

Post #: 1844
RE: Next quiz - 2/10/2011 5:08:14 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

quote:

USS Reuben James in the North Atlantic - no idea when exactly other than it was before Pearl Harbor - guess September 1941.

Well, October 41, but close enough. A U-boat took exception to her convoy guarding and expressed that dissatisfaction with torpedoes.

Your question.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1845
RE: Next quiz - 2/10/2011 5:15:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, October 41, but close enough. A U-boat took exception to her convoy guarding and expressed that dissatisfaction with torpedoes.

Your question.

Warspite1

What was the name of the Italian submarine that, using one single salvo of torpedoes, sank the cruiser HMS Cairo, damaged the cruiser HMS Nigeria and also damaged the tanker SS Ohio during the Pedestal convoy?

Post #: 1846
RE: Next quiz - 2/10/2011 5:25:30 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your question.

Warspite1

What was the name of the Italian submarine that, using one single salvo of torpedoes, sank the cruiser HMS Cairo, damaged the cruiser HMS Nigeria and also damaged the tanker SS Ohio during the Pedestal convoy?

HMS Cairo was sunk by the Axum. I didn't realize that it was one spread that hit her, the Nigeria, and a tanker though.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1847
RE: Next quiz - 2/10/2011 5:54:51 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your question.

Warspite1

HMS Cairo was sunk by the Axum. I didn't realize that it was one spread that hit her, the Nigeria, and a tanker though.

Warspite1

Yes - a rare success for the Italian submarine arm in WWII. There was I think, a Japanese sub that had an even better (luckier?) single salvo strike. Which boat was it and who did she hit?

Post #: 1848
RE: Next quiz - 2/10/2011 7:48:45 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Congratulations to the Green Bay Packers who just won this years Super Bowl.

During the world war two, before Super Bowl begun, American fotboll had the NFL Championships. What team won the NFL Championships most times during the years 1939-1945?

When in doubt for sports trivia, always guess New York. Since there were no Jets until the AFL, I guess New York Giants.

No, not New York Giants. They were in 3 finals during this period but lost them all.

The team I am looking for has the nickname "Monsters of the Midway". They got it for their teams 1940 and 1941. But their incredible strong defence in the year 1985 might be the reason for that the nickname still has some use. The nickname was first used for the university in the same city as the football team.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 1849
RE: Next quiz - 2/10/2011 7:50:35 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

Congratulations to the Green Bay Packers who just won this years Super Bowl.

During the world war two, before Super Bowl begun, American fotboll had the NFL Championships. What team won the NFL Championships most times during the years 1939-1945?

When in doubt for sports trivia, always guess New York. Since there were no Jets until the AFL, I guess New York Giants.

Well looks like people have lost interest. After my guess I looked it up. The answer is Chicago Bears with 3 wins. The Giants could have had the same record but lost in all 3 of their appearances during that time.

Paul

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 1850
RE: Next quiz - 2/11/2011 2:47:42 PM   
ItBurns

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your question.

Warspite1

Warspite1

Yes - a rare success for the Italian submarine arm in WWII. There was I think, a Japanese sub that had an even better (luckier?) single salvo strike. Which boat was it and who did she hit?

I can't remember the number (all those 'I's look alike to me) though I think it was I-72. With one spread she sank the Wasp, damaged the battleship North Carolina, and sank a destroyer whose name escapes me.

Hows that for a partial, I can't remember cause I'm getting old, answer

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1851
RE: Next quiz - 2/11/2011 8:25:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ItBurns

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your question.

Warspite1

Warspite1

I can't remember the number (all those 'I's look alike to me) though I think it was I-72. With one spread she sank the Wasp, damaged the battleship North Carolina, and sank a destroyer whose name escapes me.

Hows that for a partial, I can't remember cause I'm getting old, answer

Warspite1

Adopts best school masterly manner .

I cannot give you more than a third of a point for that. The sub number is someway out and the destroyer name is missing too.

Clue: Sub number is much lower and the destroyer could have been named after an Irishman.

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 1852
RE: Next quiz - 2/13/2011 10:44:30 AM   
warspite1

Looks like no further takers so:

The sub was I-19 and the US destroyer was O'Brien.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1853
RE: Next quiz - 2/13/2011 12:05:21 PM   
Orm

Since there are naval experts here I thought I might ask a trickier question. In five related parts.

1) What is the reason that promted The First Sea Lord to say "the saddest naval action of the war"?

2) After the battle the German commander refused to take part of the celebrations and when represented with flowers the Admiral commented "these will do nicely for my grave". What was his name?

3) When news of this battle reached England naval forces were at once dispatched to hunt down the Germans. This lead to another naval battle were The Royal Navy were victorius. What is the name of this action?

4) What reason did the English belive that Germany had for this naval operation?

5) What was the true German reason for this operation?

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/13/2011 12:07:11 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1854
RE: Next quiz - 2/13/2011 12:40:53 PM   
patchogue

Which war? This sounds like WW I - with the Battle of Coromel (sp? - not checking Wiki!) which led to the Battle of the Falklands. If so coal was involved in the second battle - I think as the actual reason for the Germans going to the Falklands. Was the Admiral Graf Spee?

"It takes three years to build a ship, it takes three centuries to build a tradition"
Admiral Andrew Cunningham

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1855
RE: Next quiz - 2/13/2011 12:48:56 PM   
warspite1

I agree. From the clues I was trying to get the loss of the Hood in the Denmark Strait (and the subsequent search for, and destruction of, Bismarck thereafter). However had never heard that Lutjens spoke of flowers for his grave and the operation purpose and name were not mysterious...

Coronel and the Falklands seems a good guess - although are WWI.

(in reply to patchogue)
Post #: 1856
RE: Next quiz - 2/13/2011 1:02:33 PM   
Orm

It is indeed the WWI battles. I said I was tricky.

Coronel and Falklands were the two battles. And the Admiral was Graf von Spee.

Now. Do anyone have the answer to the other questions?

Edit: The knowledge here about naval history is awesome. Good work guys.

Edit 2: Coal was not the reason that Admiral Graf Spee was sent here with his ships, among them Gneisenau and Scharnhorst.

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/13/2011 1:06:32 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1857
RE: Next quiz - 2/13/2011 1:32:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Edit 2: Coal was not the reason that Admiral Graf Spee was sent here with his ships, among them Gneisenau and Scharnhorst.

Warspite1

Question 4: I'll guess commerce raiding
Question 5: The reason von Spee's squadron were in South American waters was because they were trying to get back to Germany after the Japanese had entered the war on the Allies side and made the Pacific too hot for them to handle.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1858
RE: Next quiz - 2/13/2011 2:04:21 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Question 4: I'll guess commerce raiding
Question 5: The reason von Spee's squadron were in South American waters was because they were trying to get back to Germany after the Japanese had entered the war on the Allies side and made the Pacific too hot for them to handle.

4) Yes. The English thought the purpose of the Germans was commerce raiding.

5) No, not quite anyway. The purpse for von Spee's squadron here was not to get back to Germany. The answer is suprisingly manure!?

Or rather Guano. This may sound weird but Germany had planned for a short war. When they realized that the war might be longer than expected they realized they would face a shortage of ammunition because they lacked the nitrate needed to make the ammunition. Guano has nitrate in it and Chile was a main supplier of Guano and hence nitrate. Germany had more than a hundred commercial vessels trapped in Chilean ports loaded with Guano. They could not sail through the Panama channel and crossing the Pacific and the Indian ocean to get back to Germany was deemed impossible due to the Royal Navy and the Japanese declaration of war. So von Spee was ordered to open a route around Cape Horn for the merchant vessles so they could sail that way to Germany.

As it turned out Germany never had any need for the Guano because soon after this german chemists Carl Bosch and Fritz Haber manage to make nitrate from atmosperic nitrogen.

Edit: I recently found out about that guano was the reason for the battles and thought it was so interesting that I wanted to share that piece of information so I thought I could make a evil question about it.

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/13/2011 2:08:30 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1859
RE: Next quiz - 2/13/2011 10:58:21 PM   
paulderynck

The same birdcrap that was the reason for an amazingly stupid war between Peru, Bolivia and Chile in 1879.

Paul

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1860
Page:   <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI