Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Announcing the HCE Challenge!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Announcing the HCE Challenge! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Announcing the HCE Challenge! - 7/16/2008 7:26:41 PM   
CV32

HarpGamer, in conjunction with Advanced Gaming Systems Inc (AGSI) and Matrix Games, is launching what we call the “HCE Challenge”.

The Harpoon Commander’s Edition (HCE) Challenge will be, for all intents and purposes, a scenario design contest, the goals of which will include:

• providing an interesting, enjoyable and potentially rewarding way to learn how to write scenarios for HCE; and
• generating new and challenging scenarios for potential inclusion in the new official HCE BattleSets: Caribbean, South Atlantic, South Africa and the Middle East.

The HCE Challenge will have a competitive aspect, and the “winners” will receive rewards which may include any of the following (the final details are yet to be worked out, and may differ from the suggested possibilities identified below):

• a period of access to the latest HCE beta version without the usual and strict prerequisite of active participation in the beta testing process (although we’d certainly invite your help as a beta tester!);
• a free copy of another Harpoon version, such as Harpoon 3: Advanced Naval Warfare or the Harpoon 4 paper rules; or
• a discount on other Matrix Games titles;

And, of course, most importantly:

• Inclusion of your winning scenario in an official HCE BattleSet!

Don’t be intimidated by the competition, however, as we intend the HCE Challenge to be a fun experience and in any event, participants will be organized according to their scenario writing experience. We hope to have at least two participants in each of three tiers (Novice, Intermediate and Advanced), for a total of at least six participants overall (and hopefully quite a few more!). How a participant is assigned among these individual tiers will, in turn, be determinative of how complex their scenario project will be.

The format for the HCE Challenge has not yet been finalized, and we thought it might be prudent to gauge your opinion, as HCE players and scenario writers, in how it should proceed. The following three potential formats have been suggested (and if you have another, please let us know):

Suggested format No.1:

a. Two players (Blue and Red) are paired up in each of the three Tiers (Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced).
b. Each pair chooses from one of the four new official HCE BattleSets (Caribbean, South Atlantic, South Africa, Middle East).
c. Each pair comes up with a storyline.
d. The Blue player chooses his order of battle (OOB) from a narrow set of available choices, and crafts his scenario accordingly.
e. Once Blue has finished, Red chooses his OOB, again from a narrow set of choices.
f. Red takes the scenario as provided by Blue and adds the Red forces and actions as AI to try and defeat Blue.
g. Umpires now have complete scenarios.
h. The two players each play the scenario as the Blue side and send in their results.
i. Umpires also play the scenarios as the Blue side and make their notes.

Suggested format 2:

a. Two players (Blue and Red) are paired up in each the three Tiers (Novice, Intermediate, Advanced).
b. Each pair chooses from one of the four new official HCE BattleSets.
c. Umpires present a storyline and the Red OOB (or a close approximation of what it might look like).
d. Each player chooses his Blue OOB, from a narrow set of choices.
e. Umpires refine the Red OOB (as necessary).
f. Final data is presented to the player, and he crafts his scenario (both sides of it, Blue and Red).
g. Umpires now have complete scenarios.
h. The two players each play the scenario as the Blue side and send in their results.
i. Umpires also play the scenarios as the Blue side and make their notes.

Suggested format 3:

a. Two players (Blue and Red) are paired up in each the three Tiers (Novice, Intermediate, Advanced).
b. Each pair chooses from one of the four new official HCE BattleSets.
c. Each pair comes up with a single storyline.
d. Blue player chooses a Blue OOB, from a narrow set of choices.
e. Red player chooses a Red OOB, from a narrow set of choices.
f. OOB's are refined (as necessary) and then revealed to each player.
g. Each player crafts the scenario, to be played by Blue or Red (whatever suits them).
h. Umpires now have complete scenarios.
i. The two players each play the scenarios and send in their results.
j. Umpires also play the scenarios and make their notes.

We expect that the scenario design process – from start to finish – would take approximately two (2) months, followed by the umpires’ evaluation of the scenarios.

Please let us know (by posting here in this thread) which of these suggested formats you prefer, or if you have another brilliant idea you’d like to share for the HCE Challenge. As soon as the format is ironed out, we hope to get this project underway!

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
Post #: 1
RE: Announcing the HCE Challenge! - 7/16/2008 8:54:18 PM   
RA5C

One question... regarding "...new official HCE BattleSets: Caribbean, South Atlantic, South Africa and the Middle East."  Where might we find these battlesets so as to create scenarios for them?  I am currently running version 2008.024 (Build Feb. 13, 2008).  Did I miss an update?.. do I need to purchase these?.. 

Crusader Rabbit

"A carrier landing is like having sex during a car accident..."
-Unknown Naval Aviator-

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 2
RE: Announcing the HCE Challenge! - 7/16/2008 9:32:29 PM   
noxious

Should be available in the next build, 2008.44, which should be shortly available in beta version in the members area
So no, you're not missing anything :)

Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.

(in reply to RA5C)
Post #: 3
RE: Announcing the HCE Challenge! - 7/16/2008 9:42:07 PM   
RA5C

Thanks... I guess they are just posting the contest early considering there would be no way to create scenarios without the requested battlesets...

Crusader Rabbit

-Unknown Naval Aviator-

(in reply to noxious)
Post #: 4
RE: Announcing the HCE Challenge! - 7/16/2008 9:49:05 PM   
TonyE

The battlesets are all available at HarpGamer and have been for months so it isn't at all impossible.  We've waved them about here as well for comment.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to RA5C)
Post #: 5
RE: Announcing the HCE Challenge! - 7/21/2008 4:13:36 AM   
RA5C

Sorry... I must have missed them, however I was able to download the latest update which contains them.

One question?.. SE Asia... is it me or is the map not exactly proportional?..

Crusader Rabbit

-Unknown Naval Aviator-

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 6
RE: Announcing the HCE Challenge! - 7/21/2008 4:28:42 AM   
TonyE

Okay folks, all nice questions but please try to return this thread to its intent, you providing feedback on your preferred conduct of the HCE Challenge. 

As for the maps, none of them are perfectly proportional (or square as I like to say), WestPac included.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to RA5C)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Announcing the HCE Challenge! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI