Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally done it!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally done it! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/20/2008 6:20:33 AM   
Vyshka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski
I hated Call to Power

What I remember liking about it was that, again, it played a bit different from the traditional civ line of games. Underwater cities and mech units and other things that at the time made it seem a bit fresh even if mechanically it wasn't so much.

quote:

, but I fully agree with you about the excellence of AH's computer rendition of Advanced Civilization, a game that is on my hard drive and that I currently play from time to time.

Great game, and tremendously underrated fun. There are a couple of hilarious things built surreptitiously into the game, as well. For example, the soundtrack accompanying announcement of the Earthquake calamity is Marvin the Martian saying, "Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!"

Too bad they never made a multiplayer internet version. I don't think I've gotten to play with anyone else since the very early 90's (Boardgame). I had it working under XP but haven't tried it again for Vista. It's on a very short list of games I never grow tired of. Once again though its not due to the games actual complexity but rather the gameplay and the depth/complexity of the strategies and choices to be made. It was also a very very well done port to the PC. The experience playing it on the PC is very close to the original, social aspects aside.

Unfortnately the company went under when all the money they spent on suing MP over Civilization didn't pan out.

"When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches" - Adm. King

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 31
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/20/2008 7:03:43 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vyshka
Unfortnately the company went under when all the money they spent on suing MP over Civilization didn't pan out.

Only becaue MicroProse played a little dirty and responded to the lawsuit by buying Hartland Trefoil, owner of the Civilization boardgame that licensed it to Avalon Hill in the first place for publication in America.

Talk about leaving the competition dumbfounded and speechless in the courtroom!

Avalon Hills only silent revenge was that MicroProse ultimately also went bankrupt over the court case and had to be bought out by Hasbro Interactive which subsequentely was taken over by Infogrames, which subsequentley changed its name to Atari Inc.

PS. For clarification Hasbro bought both companies in the same month (ie. all money, assets, & intellectual properties were theirs either way regardless of the legal outcome of those who couldn't play nice :)) I find that fact one of the funniest in gaming history.

< Message edited by Veldor -- 7/20/2008 7:11:53 AM >

(in reply to Vyshka)
Post #: 32
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/21/2008 3:59:11 AM   
madgamer2

Yes Sid did start something when he designed the first 2 CIV games. I was not aware that he was involved in 3 & 4 as well. To me its a bit sad that if he was involved in 3 & 4 because they were so much the worse than either of the 2 CIV 2 games. I think I let my disappointment in buying and trying to play #&4 overcome my ability to see the truth about the CIV series. I loved the CIV 2 games and the AH game you mention but was taken aback by what CIV 3&4 came to be to me .....that is a great disappointment. Truth is we do owe him something for what he has done.
Perhaps I was angry because of what I saw had happened to a great game when CIV 3&4 came on the scene. I have a good friend who loves 3 and 4 even more so it takes all in this hobby of gaming. I met no personal insult to you but there are times when I act first and think later. Maybe I'll dig out that old test of time game for one more try.
BTW it so happens that couynting me 5 was the number of players I liked in my CIV games LOL.

Madgamer

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 33
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/21/2008 4:01:06 AM   
madgamer2

I have them but I never got the hang of that space version LOL I will have to dig it out and play it now....see what you have done LOL

Madgamer

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 34
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/21/2008 4:04:02 AM   
madgamer2

Have you ever tried the program called DOSBox? It runs well under XP but I have not found anyone who has tried it under vista if youhave I would love to know if it works

Madgamer

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 35
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/21/2008 4:09:16 AM   
madgamer2

thanks for the history lesson. I always wondered what happened after the smoke cleared. MP going under was interesting after what they did. So you are saying that Atari ended up with the rights to them games? I wonder why no new releases ever came out of Atari. Maybe you can shed some light on that as well.

Madgamer

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 36
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/21/2008 5:19:37 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

thanks for the history lesson. I always wondered what happened after the smoke cleared. MP going under was interesting after what they did. So you are saying that Atari ended up with the rights to them games? I wonder why no new releases ever came out of Atari. Maybe you can shed some light on that as well.

Madgamer

Im not sure that Sid was involved in Civ3 or Civ4, I never really got into those, maybe someone else can comment. All I know is that he definitely was involved in Civilization Revolution and quite a bit at that.

DosBox is what I used to run Advanced Civilization on XP. I'm sure there is a compatible Vista version by now. I always hated getting sound working since I don't really have much need for DOSBox beyond 1 or 2 AH Titles. I played Advanced Civilization for awhile once with no sound... it doesnt really need it.

As far as Atari, yeah they basically now have the rights to all those games (The electronic ones). As for why no titles Id imagine they just arent that popular at present.. You would need a bit more mass market appeal and thats another reason why I like Civilization Revolution. If that trend gets going it could cause the likes of Atari to "dust off" a few of the simpler games for console conversion etc. That in turn leads to medium complexity titles and so forth.

But, pipe dreams aside, a lot of the good stuff has reverted to its original owners. Others are legally ambiguous and therefore won't be touched. The remainder we shall have to wait and see...

Another brilliant game designing Sid was Mr. Sid Sackson... Original Designer of ACQUIRE, among many others...

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 37
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/21/2008 8:01:40 PM   
madgamer2

Thanks for the info. I thought I was correct about Sid's involvement in CIV 3&4. THose gamers are not what Sid would have produced. Given the Law suite and MP under handed dirty deal I do not blame him for not becoming involved in any more CIV games. Its to bad one of my pipe dreams is what if he had done another one....oh well life goes on.
I think that getting him to do the CIV 5 shows what can be done with a smaller game platform and a good designer. I to hope the ball gets rolling again for a new PC CIV game but what would really be cool would be having Sid design it.
I am older than you (67) and I was raised on some great DOS games. I have no idea where vista now stands with DOS and open GL software but I have to many great games in XP to ever give it up even when (GASP) i have to. The only title I ever played that had anything to do with Atari was the original "Dungeon Master" when they brought it out for the ill faded Apple GS. I had to pay a fortune for memory for the extra memory card for that GS just to play it LOL

Madgamer

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 38
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/21/2008 8:44:34 PM   
EUBanana

Rise of Nations was a civ-lite, and I think it rocked.

I didn't actually like either civ 3 or civ 4.  The best one, IMHO, that Sid's name is against, was Alpha Centauri.

I actually liked the one Activision made - Call to Power 1.  When it came out it got slagged off big time because Activision basically gave Sid the thumbscrew - so they made CoP, and Sid made Civ3.  But I think Call to Power was infinitely better than Civ3.  The way improvements like roads worked (a public works budget) was IMHO the best worker unit mechanic of any civ-like game yet.  The trade route system was pretty cool too.  People didnt like the funny special units, like Lawyers and Corporations, but pff, not much different from religion and corporations in the latest games really.

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 39
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/22/2008 12:00:45 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

I am older than you (67) and I was raised on some great DOS games. I have no idea where vista now stands with DOS and open GL software but I have to many great games in XP to ever give it up even when (GASP) i have to. The only title I ever played that had anything to do with Atari was the original "Dungeon Master" when they brought it out for the ill faded Apple GS. I had to pay a fortune for memory for the extra memory card for that GS just to play it LOL

Madgamer

How do you know how old I am? When I once posted that my birthday was 1/5/98 I was just kidding. I'm not nearly that old...

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 40
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/22/2008 12:03:59 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

I actually liked the one Activision made - Call to Power 1.  When it came out it got slagged off big time because Activision basically gave Sid the thumbscrew - so they made CoP, and Sid made Civ3.

Actually Activision was party to the lawsuit between AH and Microprose since they were the ones actually making titles for AH. They had to get something out of it since Hasbro was only buying the other two. So they walked away from the out-of-court settlement between AH and MicroProse with the rights to make one Civ computer game of their own (I think it was just 1 so they must have paid something or otherwise worked out a deal to later do more).

I don't think I ever played Call to Power 2 or Alpha Centauri.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 41
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/25/2008 12:24:06 AM   
orwell

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Bought it to PS3, played it a few times, however a CIV game completed in aprox one hour feels like civ-lite to me. So I will keep playing CIV on the PC and let the Civ Rev lie alone on the bench.

In an hour?! How?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 42
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/25/2008 12:42:34 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: orwell

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Bought it to PS3, played it a few times, however a CIV game completed in aprox one hour feels like civ-lite to me. So I will keep playing CIV on the PC and let the Civ Rev lie alone on the bench.

In an hour?! How?

No way the average Civilization Revolution game is an hour. Maybe 3-4 hrs would be correct especially if your playing it correctly and on at least an average difficulty level. Not that you can't LOOSE a game in an hour or less. I've had games last 5 hrs especially with the more challenging AI levels.

(in reply to orwell)
Post #: 43
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/25/2008 9:50:12 AM   
terje439

you kidding? Mass out archers for defend and then start building production+wonders. But you do need some decent cities I agree. But I stand by what I said, too short, a civ light imo, but hey might just be me.

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 44
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/25/2008 2:08:38 PM   
orwell

On the average difficulty, about 9 hours or so seems normal. On the hard difficulty it's taken, I'd estimate, 10 hours over a couple days to get to, maybe, the halway point. I guess I just play slow, civ 4 BTS could take up to two weeks to beat, and that's with 3+ hours a night. It may be civ lite in content, but I find it a nice balance between dragging on and still retaining fun.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 45
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 7/26/2008 1:20:34 AM   
Veldor

It would also depend on what goal your playing towards. If you just always go for the military victory then maybe it could play quicker depending. But to go for the other style of victories is a bit tougher, especially on higher levels... since it makes it a bit harder to defend against incoming attacks.. Or the fact that you have incoming attacks at all vs being the juggarnaut/blitzkrieg attack player...

(in reply to orwell)
Post #: 46
RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally d... - 8/8/2008 2:14:42 PM   
blue jay

A new recruit(to Matrix).....Hi all!

my tuppence/two cents:

I'd have assumed that most people with a liking for the Civ series(particularily 4) would be a bit underwhelmed by Civ Rev. The Civ games, the Mods, offer such an involved game that Rev comes across as more of an introduction, sampler or demo.

The series has gained some terrific exposure to a new audience via the Rev release. Hopefully with it's success a few substantive turn based strategy titles might yet reach next-gen consoles.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

Now as for new colonization though...

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Civilization Revolution - I think they've finally done it! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI