Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone help find a game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Anyone help find a game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone help find a game - 7/17/2008 2:23:10 PM   
JudgeDredd

Another one. After the success of you buggers helping me find a game, I thought I'd ask about another couple of games...but these aren't computer games.

One was a tank battle board game. I think you had 6 tank miniatures each (grey Panther shaped tanks and green Sherman shaped tanks). You also had supplies miniatures.

The board was long"ish" and had holes in it. I don't recall exactly how it worked....but you both moved your tanks and then pressed a button and up popped some "spikes" and if a tank was on that hex, it was flipped over and removed from the game.

The other game was a "battle of britain" game. It had a base on it and a vertical section. The base was like an airfield on either side and there were six miniature planes each, spitfires and messerschmitts. The vertical section had holes in it with which to stick your plane into. Basically, you rolled a die and moved a plane about the vertical "sky" trying to catch your opponents aircraft and "push" it out the sky.

Both games were around in the mid 1970s

Any ideas.

Sorry for another thread...but I'm getting old and like to reminisce
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone help find a game - 7/17/2008 2:33:09 PM   
JudgeDredd

ok...just found the RAf one...it was called Fighter Command by Airfix

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone help find a game - 7/17/2008 2:41:18 PM   
undercovergeek

man i remember the tank game - never owned it but i remember the christmas adverts and a disapproving stare from undercovergeek senior when i looked around all wide eyed and expectant - no idea how it worked either but i remember the ad cutting to slo-motion as the tank flipped over and a jubilant child waving his hand in the air as his defeated foe shook his fist!!!!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone help find a game - 7/29/2008 8:49:53 AM   
undercovergeek

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/45397

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone help find a game - 7/29/2008 9:12:44 AM   
JudgeDredd

lmao..."...strategic battle action game"!

Where exactly was the strategy??

You know, I may be getting two games confused here. I do remember this one, but not sure I had it, although the name and everything fits...but I thought there were 6 tanks aside and I also think there were some little supply and fuel dump icons in the game...so although I remember this one, I'm not sure it is. It could well be that the game my brother and I had didn't have the things coming up from the bottom...I could be getting "our" game confused with this one.

Thx for the link though.

I'm very, very tempted to buy the fighter command one! Just for old times sake!

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone help find a game - 7/29/2008 9:17:22 AM   
undercovergeek

brings back memories doesnt it - try this:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQYD4Y6EN3Y&feature=related this might be the one youre looking for, or search tank battle on the boardgame geek site - it looks to be a bit more detailed like you mentioned

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone help find a game - 7/29/2008 9:30:56 AM   
JudgeDredd

That's the one....Tank Battle.

Thx ever so much....takes me back a few years. When my brother and I (we're twins) opened it that Christmas, we were ecstatic! Maybe we wanted the other one and my mum and dad just couldn't afford it or something.

Thx...I'll treasure those links...and the memories.

Post #: 7
RE: Anyone help find a game - 7/29/2008 9:36:01 AM   
undercovergeek

lol - youre welcome, i enjoyed looking for it as i never owned it but always wanted it, my dad was more of a Risk man!!!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone help find a game - 7/29/2008 1:33:07 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

lol - youre welcome, i enjoyed looking for it as i never owned it but always wanted it, my dad was more of a Risk man!!!

Maybe you could afford it now

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TANK-BATTLE-GAME-MB-GAMES-100-COMPLETE-1976_W0QQitemZ250227044686QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ebayphotohosting

Post #: 9
RE: Anyone help find a game - 7/29/2008 9:04:34 PM   
undercovergeek

how cool - its tempting but im not sure mrs undercover would approve bearing in mind she would be my opponent and shes not really a tank buff if you know what i mean or my 13 month old - bit of a dearth of gamers in the household!!!

i was thinking about this the other day - where as i play witp pbem, and am waiting for AE and WiF, its not something i ever shout out from the rooftops, have just seen theres a guy in the witp forum who lives where im moving to in the UK but for all i know i could work with avid WitP-ers and noone ever mentions it!!!

i suppose as mrs undercover will attest, theres computer gaming for geeks, theres wargaming for even bigger geeks, and she reserves a special kind of contempt for computer wargamers - so i play on in shame!!!!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone help find a game - 7/29/2008 10:14:34 PM   
GJK

Just get ASL Starter Kit #3 and be done with it!

Post #: 11
RE: Anyone help find a game - 7/29/2008 10:33:11 PM   
undercovergeek

lol - maybe one day - i could maybe do a flowers and asl combo for the anniversary prezzie!!

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone help find a game - 7/30/2008 5:37:11 PM   
andym

Mr Dredd,may i umbly point you i the direction of my favourite old games store........ http://www.secondchancegames.com/

Just be prepared to spend,spend,spendLOL!

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

Post #: 13
RE: Anyone help find a game - 8/2/2008 4:36:35 AM   
donkuchi19

I remember tank battle. I loved that game. I ended up losing the pieces though when I combined it with my army men for a 'grand campaign' game with one of my friends.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Anyone help find a game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI