Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

3 Questions on winning with Axis, game end date, and best nation to learn with

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> 3 Questions on winning with Axis, game end date, and best nation to learn with Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3 Questions on winning with Axis, game end date, and be... - 7/21/2008 11:42:29 PM   
tellville

I have just started playing this game and I had a couple of newbie questions:

1. I've read that the game is stacked in the Allies favor and thus an Axis victory is highly improbable. Is this true? Can you "conquer the world" playing as the Axis?

2. Is there an option to continue the game after the scenario end date? Is it possible to play until the 60's for example until one country rules the world? Or do the game mechanics make that impossible or highly unlikely?

3. Which nation is the best to learn the game with?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: 3 Questions on winning with Axis, game end date, an... - 7/22/2008 4:16:11 AM   
Lucky1

1) Given reasonably accurate modeling of the enormous population and industry deficits faced by the Axis (with special reference to the USA and Russia), Germany and Japan will almost always lose a game over the long run. However, the game allows for an Axis win as a result of numerous, early tactical victories and if the strategic position is generally tipped in its favor. This is implemented with the use of victory points. If you turn auto victory off, it will not be able for the axis to win this way. Another way to win is for the axis to survive to the end-date of the scenario or to be defeated only after a certain date. Again, victory points will come into play in determining whether a victory or loss occurs. This is better explained in the manual.
2) Yes. However, the AI really does not function well or respond to certain events (e.g., axis invasion of the US) and performs rather poorly as the game continues beyond historical timeframes. Effectively, after you have done it once, it is not worth it.
3) I would recommend learning without using advanced supply (I forget the setting name. So, check the manual - you have supply, but you do not need to move supply around). Once you have the basics, then try playing with advanced supply. You will find the game is much better once advanced supply is on - it adds a whole new dimension to strategy. Anyhow, having said that, I have found that the computer plays allies better than axis..... I would simply recommend playing all nations on a given side. Yes, you will probably lose, but that is how you learn.

Cheers and good luck.

(in reply to tellville)
Post #: 2
RE: 3 Questions on winning with Axis, game end date, an... - 7/22/2008 7:35:39 PM   
tellville

Are there any mods that make the sides more equal, more akin to Axis and Allies?

(in reply to Lucky1)
Post #: 3
RE: 3 Questions on winning with Axis, game end date, an... - 7/22/2008 11:24:51 PM   
Lucky1

Not that I am aware (but I might be wrong).

If you are playing against the computer, the game is more than winnable whether you play as Axis or Allies....

(in reply to tellville)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> 3 Questions on winning with Axis, game end date, and best nation to learn with Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI