Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Scrap Lists - Default

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Scrap Lists - Default Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/18/2008 9:02:15 PM   
brian brian

Waking Giant runs to the end of the war I think... I still wouldn't suggest scrapping very much lift for the US or CW. Especially not for the US.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 91
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/18/2008 9:34:11 PM   
Frederyck

I'd be wary of scrapping any Russian land units at this stage in the game even if they're crap. Specifically, I definitely think the 2-4 MOT DIV is good enough to remain in the game.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 92
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/18/2008 10:12:27 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Waking Giant runs to the end of the war I think... I still wouldn't suggest scrapping very much lift for the US or CW. Especially not for the US.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frederyck

I'd be wary of scrapping any Russian land units at this stage in the game even if they're crap. Specifically, I definitely think the 2-4 MOT DIV is good enough to remain in the game.

I second these.

Paul

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 93
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/18/2008 11:10:32 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

quote:

I second these.

I also agree.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 94
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/18/2008 11:41:06 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

quote:

I second these.

I also agree.

SAme.
Remember, never scrap DIV.
Also, never scrap units you do not yet have to build or to setup. Wait for having one to build, or to setup, to think about it in the proper way. Example, MAR, PARA, TN, etc...

Post #: 95
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/19/2008 12:40:08 AM   
YohanTM2

Ah, there goes my colour blindness again. Should have looked at the unit names. I was looking at the Russians.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan

I would keep the German 4-2 sub and the JPN amphib
quote:

Here are Michael's proposed scrap lists for Missed The Bus (which starts immediately after Vichy France has been declared). China scraps nothing.

JPN amphib? Which unit is that?

Post #: 96
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/19/2008 3:24:08 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Ah, there goes my colour blindness again. Should have looked at the unit names. I was looking at the Russians.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here are Michael's proposed scrap lists for Missed The Bus (which starts immediately after Vichy France has been declared). China scraps nothing.

Do the Japanese and USSR units appear as different colors to you?
Or as a broader question, do any of these major power colors (the Chinese are missing from this group) appear virtually identical?

Steve

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 97
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/19/2008 4:15:09 PM   
meisterchow

To my eyes they all look distinct from each other.  I can readily distinguish between Japanese and Russian, CW and French, German and Italian and American.

'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms Motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone

Post #: 98
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/19/2008 4:22:41 PM   
YohanTM2

Hi Steve, they actually do seem to be different enough. My real concern will be more with all the small circles surrounding the units to show status and the colours there may be challenging for the colour blind.

The issue with the colours for units will be when they are on the map and side by side. As an example, we are playing 7 Ages and we actually had to put dots on a couple of the empire colours so they show distinctly. More of an issue there with 15 empire colours.

Rob

P.S. It does happen in Board WiF as well. I was playing with a buddy who is also colour challenged and he and I would be rolling merrily along. Then my brother would drop over and ask why an Italian was stacked with a Russian <g>

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Or as a broader question, do any of these major power colors (the Chinese are missing from this group) appear virtually identical?

Post #: 99
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/19/2008 6:09:35 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Hi Steve, they actually do seem to be different enough. My real concern will be more with all the small circles surrounding the units to show status and the colours there may be challenging for the colour blind.

The issue with the colours for units will be when they are on the map and side by side. As an example, we are playing 7 Ages and we actually had to put dots on a couple of the empire colours so they show distinctly. More of an issue there with 15 empire colours.

Rob

P.S. It does happen in Board WiF as well. I was playing with a buddy who is also colour challenged and he and I would be rolling merrily along. Then my brother would drop over and ask why an Italian was stacked with a Russian <g>

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks for letting me know.

The status indicators are unlikely to cause trouble because the position of the indicator is the important thing. For instance, the disorganized position is either blank or indicates the unit is disorganized - it is either on or off. I use colors too, since I like redundancy when communicating information, but those are not as crucial.

An example of multiple colors at one position is for supply where there are 5 stati: None = in supply, dark green = HQ secondary supply source, bright green = HQ primary supply source (very rare), yellow = out of supply, muted red = isolated. What appears for units on the map most often are None, dark green for HQs, and yellow. Muted red comes up too occasionally, but when you are playing a game isolated units should be pretty obvious.

In the positions where more than 1 color was needed, I used a specailly developed color palette that should make all the colors appear different to everyone, regardless of how they perceive colors.

Steve

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 100
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/19/2008 7:28:46 PM   
YohanTM2

Sounds like that should work, will let you know when I get the game <g>

Post #: 101
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/22/2008 4:24:47 AM   
visitor_from_ireland

Hello there,
when using default "suggested scrap lists" or whatever you will call them, being able to easily add/remove units from that pre-defined scrap pool would be very convenient. So, if you disagree with just a few units on that list, you wouldn't have to completely re-make that list from scratch on.
In case you opt for more of those pre-defined scrap lists (Shannon mentioned two or three I think), a simple descriptive name of that list would be good for beginners (such as "the wolfpacker scrap-list" or "scrapalot"/"dontscrap2much", whatever...).
Hopefully this suggestion isn't too self-evident. In any case, it looks like MWIF is going to be a superb game in the end - respect!

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 102
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/22/2008 5:05:20 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: visitor_from_ireland

Hello there,
when using default "suggested scrap lists" or whatever you will call them, being able to easily add/remove units from that pre-defined scrap pool would be very convenient. So, if you disagree with just a few units on that list, you wouldn't have to completely re-make that list from scratch on.
In case you opt for more of those pre-defined scrap lists (Shannon mentioned two or three I think), a simple descriptive name of that list would be good for beginners (such as "the wolfpacker scrap-list" or "scrapalot"/"dontscrap2much", whatever...).
Hopefully this suggestion isn't too self-evident. In any case, it looks like MWIF is going to be a superb game in the end - respect!

Welcome to the forum.

Players can save their own scrap lists. The form is design so you can take an existing list and modify it to your taste. Whatever you want to name the file is up to you. You could use it to replace the starting default list if you wanted to.

I am just making sure there is something in place when the player first plays the game - and that what he is given as a default is reasonable.

Steve

(in reply to visitor_from_ireland)
Post #: 103
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/23/2008 9:01:16 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Continuing the proposed default scrap lists from Michael, here they are for Brute Force (begins in May/June1942).

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 104
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/23/2008 9:04:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

2nd and last in series.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 105
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/24/2008 9:23:19 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

And here are Michael's proposed scrap lists for Darkness Before the Dawn (Jul/Aug 1943).

This is the last in Michael's sets of default scrap lists for the 11 scenarios. Thank you Michael!

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 106
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/24/2008 9:24:20 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

2nd and last in series. The Axis default scrap lists for Darkness Before the Dawn.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 107
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/25/2008 1:53:08 PM   
composer99

I personally would not scrap any A6M2 (Japanese) fighters or any Stukas with 5+ tactical factors.

~ Composer99

Post #: 108
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/25/2008 2:02:39 PM   
michaelbaldur

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

I personally would not scrap any A6M2 (Japanese) fighters or any Stukas with 5+ tactical factors.

the stuka is a mistake .... I will change that

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 109
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/25/2008 4:53:22 PM   
meisterchow

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

But even with that great range, a 5 point fighter in 1943 isn't all that great overall. Personally, I'm on the fence, but I can see why they were selected. Those would fall to personal preference.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 110
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/25/2008 8:40:38 PM   
composer99

It can always fly back-up (unless you're playing with outclassed fighters of course).

More to the point, the Japanese have lots of fighters in 1941-1943 that aren't scrappable, have about the same a2a rating, and have crappy range. So why not at least keep comparably good fighters in the pool? Assuming they have the production they will be building out the fighter pool anyway.

~ Composer99

(in reply to meisterchow)
Post #: 111
RE: Scrap Lists - Default - 8/25/2008 8:53:15 PM   
meisterchow

Like I said, I think whether or not to scrap 5 AtA Zeroes in 1943 is up to the player, there are decent arguments either way (yours vs. clearing out the pool faster for the better stuff coming down the pipeline).

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 112
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Scrap Lists - Default Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI