Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Beta testers, please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: Beta testers, please Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 5:02:42 PM   
cpdeyoung

Marc,

I am not intending to sell this program. I did not realize yours was commercial.

On July 24th, 2008 you wrote :

quote:

You know it may not be a bad idea and combine the 2. I bet that would be a kick butt thing...what say you

I replied that I would put a link to your page out there. I did not think this application was anything like yours. I wanted something to launch with setup, and I wanted a scenario list rather than the slower clicking in the JTCS application. I saw yours as a nice PDF view of the scenarios. I never saw your Talonsoft submissions, and all work is my own. I have no way of knowing what you were thinking in 1999.

I wrote what I wanted to write for my use, and thought it would be fun to give it to all these folks. I intend to make it available at no charge. The JTCS community can use it or not.

Earlier you wrote :

quote:

not a prob...whatever you want to do... i ain't one like some people I know in this business that goes ape over crap.

I think this was the best way to deal with it.

I enclose a snapshot of the new version without any link to your page.

Yours in the spirit of the JTCS community,

Chuck

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 31
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 5:23:45 PM   
cpdeyoung

To Marc, and the community,

As I have stated my program uses the .scn files as input. It does not use any third party database. My beta testers have received a 185KB executable and in current version a DLL for the web access. My complexity index is a reflection of the numbers of lines dealing with units on board and reinforcements, all other data is as shown in my pathetic interpretation of the .scn files.

Marc, I have never even looked at your product internals. I did request you to send your pdf product to me, as you invited us to do, and I enclose a snap of the files you sent me. There is nothing but pdf files, and Marc I assure you I do not have a clue how to extract a "database" from these. My program reads the .scn files dynamically. No use of your hard work, Marc. Just a misunderstanding.

Your work is yours, and I would not think of using it without permission.

Chuck

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cpdeyoung -- 7/27/2008 5:25:51 PM >

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 32
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 5:26:18 PM   
marcbarker

combining the two is one thing but actually giving the other a push button is another with 0 credit is another. You had no collaboration with me, You talked about nothing no feddback, no anything, That is what I am torqued about. It is not commercial. But I have still copywrited it and trademarking yjr Following Names, WWII Scenario Viewer, SV, Order of Battle Viewer, Battle Card Viewer, Scenario Battle Card, Battle Area Viewer, BAV, OOBV, BCV, Smart Card Viewer, SCV, Linked Scenario Viewer for Games,

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 33
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 5:27:55 PM   
marcbarker

Do you have an Attorney? I see you live in SC, so therefore you are familiar technology infringement laws? Curious

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 34
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 5:41:41 PM   
marcbarker

Lets start Fresh OK..No Harm No Foul...Hey Chuck! I have no ill feelings towards you at all.... This struck me in a very bad way. I had 2 programs in previous years "stolen". It struck a very bad cord is all. My apologies. All I ask is that if we use eithers stuff, we collabrate and answer emails. Fair enough?

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 35
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 6:07:24 PM   
cpdeyoung

Good deal, lets get back to work on our respective programs for this great community.

I suggest we go our own separate ways, and I can't wait to see how your fine contribution develops.

Thanks for your efforts, you are an enthuastic gamer. Have fun.

Chuck

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 36
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 6:13:24 PM   
junk2drive

Good to see. Thanks to both of you.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 37
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 6:49:36 PM   
marcbarker

by the way the 1st release of rising sun will be released hopefully next week. The biggest issue was not the links, it is those maps. I do have all the bootcamp and oobs working great. The Battle Cards look pretty good.

I repeat not the dynamic oob stuff. I can only work on one thing at a tim. Chuck, Your program does look cool can you hook into access database? if so there is a ton of info you can Glean. My database is up to over 100mg now. too huge to zip or such but when it is complete. It will be free for all and not password protected just give me a credit to whoever gets it and uses it. It will not be used for individual gain but will gladly give it to matrix if they want it to enhance an update or such no strings attached. I just want to give back is all and again my apologies. The baby programmer inside me came out. Sorry again fellas.

< Message edited by barker -- 7/28/2008 4:27:02 PM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 38
RE: Beta testers, please - 8/7/2008 4:51:49 PM   
cpdeyoung

Beta testing is completed, and Jason is looking over the program to see if it is ready for release. Here is a picture of the program in its current state. I can think of more to do with this, but I want to get a version out in the community so I can get more good ideas.

Chuck

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 39
RE: Beta testers, please - 8/7/2008 7:42:00 PM   
jchastain

doh. never mind. :-)

< Message edited by jchastain -- 8/7/2008 7:43:38 PM >

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 40
RE: Beta testers, please - 8/7/2008 11:07:08 PM   
Frido1207

Hi Chuck,
your screenie looks super cool (or über cool  ).
Would be a fantastic tool imo.
As I am a totally PC illiterate, I can´t & don´t want to make suggestions.
But you´re asking for ideas.
I noticed, that the scenario described in your screenie, is preferably played by PBEM.
So I would ask, if it would possible to implement a feature (without too much work & circumstances), that differences the scenarios, about to play preferably against the AI, or against a human opponent. (maybe in your "Sort Order" section)
But again & anyway: this looks awesome.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 41
RE: Beta testers, please - 8/7/2008 11:56:29 PM   
cpdeyoung

Dear th1207,

That is a good idea, indeed. The "Best played as" information is not a structured piece of data, but is usually in the scenario description section. To the degree I can recognise it I could "filter" on various indicators. I have not yet heard from Jason about releasing the App, so I will try and see what I can do.

Another idea I have come up with has to do with the AAR I posted on this very scenario. How much desire is there for a "Notes" field which could hold AAR, Win/Loss, strategy and tactics notes etc. This would involve a data file on your disk drive which this program, ScnPick, would be aware of. I would really like this idea, but it would involve some effort. How many would like this?

Keep these great ideas flowing.

Thanks,

Chuck

(in reply to Frido1207)
Post #: 42
RE: Beta testers, please - 8/8/2008 1:37:35 AM   
cpdeyoung

Folks,

Because of the freeform "Best played" information I have come up with a choice of displaying the title, or a best attempt at the designers suggestion of play. Here is what a "Best played" list looks like.

Chuck

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 43
RE: Beta testers, please - 8/8/2008 3:47:31 AM   
big dawg

Chuck,

You are quick to resolve problems!  I like the new addition too. 

What we need are naked women!! 

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 44
RE: Beta testers, please - 8/8/2008 4:32:43 AM   
cpdeyoung

Big Dawg,

For that you will have to build a scenario involving an intercept of the 34th Women's Mortar Batallion, on their way from Maikop to Krimskaya.

Chuck

(Thanks to Willi Heinrich)

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 45
RE: Beta testers, please - 8/8/2008 5:21:46 PM   
cpdeyoung

Folks,

The ScnPick program has been released in the "Mods and Scenarios" folder.

Chuck

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: Beta testers, please Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI