Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Frustration

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Tech Support >> Frustration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Frustration - 7/26/2008 1:24:54 AM   
MarkWayneClark

OK, to TRY to get into the game and understand it, I am playing what I thought would be the easiest scenario possible: '43, as the USSR, on easy. No matter what I do, Germany just shreds me. On its first term, Germany nearly always destroys my front line air force on the ground (keep in mind, I didn't place the planes there, the scenario begins with them there) and takes a region, usually Kursk or Smolensk. One out of four times it loses that/those battles, but it doesn't matter.

Apparently, according to this scenario, the USSR did no production in its prior turn, because I have no units waiting in reserve behind the lines. But that I suppose is neither here nor there.

Whatever I do in my first and second turns, it is wrong. If Germany makes its way into Kursk, then I am facing a Germany army that threatens four of my provinces. I can easily couunter attack to shore up my lines, but there is no way I can hold it into the next turn. I am just throwing those units away. Same with Smolensk, though on a slightly less disastrous scale. But if I hold tight and do nothing, the army in Kursk will punch the line on the next turn.

If Germany's first turn goes horribly and they lose the one (or two) battle(s) they attempt, I face the same dilema: push my lines forward, or wait. Only it does not matter what I do. Germany's next turn will inevitably to pour a super-stack of some 30 units into the weakest point on my line, which no matter what is going to be at least five provinces from the Baltic to the Black Sea. I don't have enough units to defend that line at every point from a 30 unit stack, or even a 20 unit stack. So I will get whupped.

And here's the really great part: whatever Germany has left in that stack after the battle will be impossible to defeat in my next turn. I just now faced a situation where Germany had an 18 unit stack on Smolensk, mostly infantry and militia, with a little armor, and I poured 32 units in there, armor, artillery, infantry, lots of planes and the combat analyzer said probability of success ... zero.

WTF? I want to like this game. I really do. I have read the rules. I think that I understand them. But every time I have tried to actually play I just get crushed. I have tried Germany, China, and now the USSR, all on advice from others they are good ways to start and to learn. But I am not learning. I am just getting crushed. If I can't win under such ostensibly easy circumstances, what the hell am I doing wrong?
Post #: 1
RE: Frustration - 7/26/2008 1:31:25 AM   
MarkWayneClark

This should not be here. My fault.

(in reply to MarkWayneClark)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Tech Support >> Frustration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI