Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Loading multiple units (again)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Loading multiple units (again) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Loading multiple units (again) - 4/6/2002 7:51:29 PM   
BjörnR

I have a problem with loading multiple units on barges and other landing crafts with high loading capacity. In MC scenarios (in MCDF Malta for example) where you are supposed to evacuate your forces you need to use the whole capacity of the barges.
I can’t figure out how to load the second unit, although they came in the same boat they can’t leave together.

With the exellent searchfunction I found information on this subject but the answer is still not quite clear.
Is it correct that it is impossible? Yes or no! Anyone who knows?
Post #: 1
- 4/6/2002 9:07:17 PM   
skukko

Yes, you can't load many units in barges during battle. But you can load many units into them in scenario design state. :(

mosh

(in reply to BjörnR)
Post #: 2
A little clarification for you - 4/7/2002 12:15:58 AM   
zaxilon

There are only two ways to load units. One way is to select the unit and push "L" or the load button on you control panel. The other way is to push the "Load all units to nearest transport" button. Unfortunately, IIRC, the only feature available in game during a battle is the "L" or load button which will only load one unit into one transport. The other feature which will load a transport with units to its carrying capacity is only available in the scenario editor.

Unless I am mistaken about this, it would have been nice to have had this corrected over the many upgraded versions and bug fix patches. To me it seems kind of a no brainer to allow a transport unit to be capable of loading to its carrying capacity during a battle in game. DOH!!! To me it kind of limits what you can do in scenario design. For example any kind of evacuation or rescue type mission to extract stranded forces is pretty difficult to put together. Seems kind of foolish that a landing craft which could hold an entire platoon with some support elements can only drop them off but not pick them up.

If there is a way to load multiple units in game during a battle that some of you more seasoned players know of I personally would appreciate knowing about it.

Later,
Zaxilon :D

(in reply to BjörnR)
Post #: 3
- 4/7/2002 1:35:31 AM   
Dogmeat

It would also be great to load onto LCs and barges APCs and trucks that are loaded. When you hit L to load a loaded vehicle, it instead unloads. So to get a vehicle and its passengers onto a barge, you have to load them in separately.

To be able to pickup in combat would be great if you had to do a river crossing. Instead of buying enough barges to accommodate all vehicles you want to get across, you buy enough that a minimum number of return trips would be required. However, barges can only carry one unit.

And how the heck do you load a barge onto a barge carrier. I keep getting the barge carrier getting loaded onto the barge!

Is it because bridgelaying was considered too slow work for a game scenario to include? That even those temporary pontoon bridges took too long to construct?

(in reply to BjörnR)
Post #: 4
- 4/7/2002 1:24:41 PM   
Bernie

It's quite easy to load more than one unit onto a single transport. Put all the units you want to load into the same hex as the carrier. Now, select the transport, hit "L" and load the first unit. Now, click on another unit you want to load and hit "L", then select the transport. Basically, it's the opposite of loading the first unit.

What, me worry?

(in reply to BjörnR)
Post #: 5
- 4/7/2002 2:35:55 PM   
El_Peco

[QUOTE]It's quite easy to load more than one unit onto a single transport. Put all the units you want to load into the same hex as the carrier. Now, select the transport, hit "L" and load the first unit. Now, click on another unit you want to load and hit "L", then select the transport. Basically, it's the opposite of loading the first unit.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this feature works well for land trasport like trucks, but it doesn't work for sea trasport like barges! When you try to pick up a units in the shore with your barge appears the message "the units is too far away", while if you push the "l" button when your barge is already loaded it disembark that unit, so I can't success in loading multiple units on barges.

Regards.

(in reply to BjörnR)
Post #: 6
- 4/7/2002 4:48:07 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by El_Peco
[B]

Yes, this feature works well for land trasport like trucks, but it doesn't work for sea trasport like barges! When you try to pick up a units in the shore with your barge appears the message "the units is too far away", while if you push the "l" button when your barge is already loaded it disembark that unit, so I can't success in loading multiple units on barges.

Regards. [/B][/QUOTE]

But you [I]can[/I] put the barge in shallow water and move the units into the water with it. It'll work as long as the water is shallow.

What, me worry?

(in reply to BjörnR)
Post #: 7
- 4/7/2002 9:23:20 PM   
Bing

Yes, but I think you can still put only one unit on a barge during the game. Doesn't make any difference how small that one unit might be - neither does it matter how much capacity goes to waste in the barge.

One barge, one unit: If anyone has found a way around this DURING gameplay, kindly outline how it was done.

Bing

(in reply to BjörnR)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Loading multiple units (again) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI