Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Guns!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Distant Guns! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/4/2008 1:59:50 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Your message happened to be the last one in the thread when I replied, PoE, but my comment wasn't aimed at any one poster.

NP, I didn't take it that way.

But, let's not drift off-topic!

There are some things that Koger could do to liven-up the tactical part of the game, to make it more than a dreadnought-themed, 3D screen-saver.

For one, a 2-D, overhead map would be nice for plotting movement, particularly when one considers that maps which display the exact position of ships in a formation, relative to each other, are still in use today, albeit in the form of a CRT or LCD, rather than parchment.

Second, at very least. the game needs a "bridge-view" and a set of binoculars through which to view the action, for immersions sake, being there, so to speak.

Finally, Norm needs to grab players and get them more involved in the action, at a gun or torpedo director, perhaps, or damage control. Folks just need more to do than issuing occasional course corrections. Without that kind of involvement, players will inevitably become bored.

My humble opinion on this aspect of Distant Guns,

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 31
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/4/2008 7:15:38 AM   
EagleMountainDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

I like the game myself but I do dislike the licensing of it. Reminds me of Elicense. I don't care for that myself. If i get burnt with this game on the license I'll never buy another license game.
quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre100

game is horrible, dont waste your money on this or even jutland plus their licensing is HORRIBLE!!!   Why can't they use something like Matrix and not treat their normal customers like crap with bogus activation schemes that are horrible probably the worst in the business, worse then starforce IMO.  What happens when they go under or decide to close shop my very expensive game becomes a pile of junk!!.. Unless they treat their customers like loyal paying folks and remove this bogus activation they have now i would stay far clear of any game they make.

I have no problems what so ever with Elicense or the system used by Distant Guns. One just have to think before uninstalling the games and if you forget it, then you can e-mail them. They just try to protect their property....

Personally I hate the DVD check especially the new SecurROM that can take for ever to validate the DVD....

My dream protection is the one used for SB PRO PE with a little USB flash stick containing my license file. Second is Matrix with their serial numbers and Stardock with their great license/download features.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 32
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/4/2008 2:23:05 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl
There are some things that Koger could do to liven-up the tactical part of the game, to make it more than a dreadnought-themed, 3D screen-saver.

For one, a 2-D, overhead map would be nice for plotting movement, particularly when one considers that maps which display the exact position of ships in a formation, relative to each other, are still in use today, albeit in the form of a CRT or LCD, rather than parchment.

If you get to know all the controls, there is a large 2d map view where you can pause the game (or run in real time) where you can plot individual movement.

quote:

Second, at very least. the game needs a "bridge-view" and a set of binoculars through which to view the action, for immersions sake, being there, so to speak.

A Bridge view would be a nice addition - I totally agree(as in TF1942); however there already are binoculars (key F5) to view the action.

quote:

Finally, Norm needs to grab players and get them more involved in the action, at a gun or torpedo director, perhaps, or damage control. Folks just need more to do than issuing occasional course corrections. Without that kind of involvement, players will inevitably become bored.

My humble opinion on this aspect of Distant Guns,

In this I disagree, because allowing you to control the armament directly - though fun - will skew results, making it less an accurate sim and more an arcade game.

My P.O.V.

B

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Distant Guns! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI