Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/16/2008 6:03:23 AM   
Jeffrey H.

I had a Chinese SKS, a Bulgarian AK and a new M1 Garand. I can say that IMO the best period weapon overall was the M1.

I'm not putting the SKS or the AK down, in fact they are very good weapons and the 7.62x39 cartridge is a very effective load.

The SKS was a bit junky and began to fall apart as I used it. Reliable in the end but not conifdence inspiring. The AK was a dramaticically more reliable weapon and lightweight as well. The AK was a much better weapon overall than the SKS but I REALLY HATE the fact that it empties on a closed bolt. Call me whatever you want but I don't want a weapon that leaves it up the final moment to tell you it's empty. No way.

The M1 has the best sights of the lot, intuitive and easy to adjust at the same time being robust and solid. Ok, the 8 rnd en-bloc clip is clutzy and somewhat antiquated, but that's why the M1A/M14 was developed. Better gas system too. 

For engaging targets ~400 yds or gereater, the M1 wins hands down.

I've owned all 3 of these weapons and that's how I formed these opinions.

Can't say much about the M16 and it's relatives, I've never owned or fired one. They're illegal here in Ca.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 61
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/16/2008 6:51:53 AM   
ANZAC_Tack

im surprised by your comments on the M1, i used it and found it a beast by comparison, im a mid size person,and just found the russian weapons more the 'right' size weapon,and less recoil,more rapid fire capable,thus more accurate in most battle ranges. yes the 3006 has better range,hitting power and accuracy,but then i'd use a springfield for this purpose,the battle ranges most casualties accounted in WWII where under 300M,perfect for the 7.62*39 russian.
yeah my sks was cheap also,but quite robust but cheap,i've seen the original russian ones, and would choose one any day over chinese ones of mid 90's.
like the m1a/m14 much better with detachable magazine,auto features,but like the ak47,the m14 was quickly superseded,though the m16 i dont think was as good a jump as the ak47 was...reliability wise the ar15a1 had real problems with no bolt assist, catching foliage with open muzzle flash and poor quality ammunition causing fouling. the m16a2 solved most of these fortunately with ss109 ammo,and better bayonet to boot.

ANZAC_Tack

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 62
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/16/2008 5:12:39 PM   
Big B

Actually my SKS is a mint Russian unit . It has a beautiful laminated wood stock (like the picture below), and it certainly is well made. It is stamped 1950r on the reciever with a Tula arsenal stamp.

I like it, it's a beauty, there is nothing cheap about it - like the Chinese models.
quote:

ORIGINAL: ANZAC_Tack

im surprised by your comments on the M1, i used it and found it a beast by comparison, im a mid size person,and just found the russian weapons more the 'right' size weapon,and less recoil,more rapid fire capable,thus more accurate in most battle ranges. yes the 3006 has better range,hitting power and accuracy,but then i'd use a springfield for this purpose,the battle ranges most casualties accounted in WWII where under 300M,perfect for the 7.62*39 russian.
yeah my sks was cheap also,but quite robust but cheap,i've seen the original russian ones, and would choose one any day over chinese ones of mid 90's.
like the m1a/m14 much better with detachable magazine,auto features,but like the ak47,the m14 was quickly superseded,though the m16 i dont think was as good a jump as the ak47 was...reliability wise the ar15a1 had real problems with no bolt assist, catching foliage with open muzzle flash and poor quality ammunition causing fouling. the m16a2 solved most of these fortunately with ss109 ammo,and better bayonet to boot.

AS for the Garand being a 'beast' - yes it is
However, I'm only 5'7" and I found the length and balance of the M-1 to be very pleasing, for some reason I shoot better with a longer rifle than a short rifle, I think the greater length of the Barrel makes lining up a target easier (or perhaps surer) for me. For handling - I really like the SVT-40, it's a bit thinner in the stock than a Garand or G-43.

@Jeffrey H.
What I didn't like about the sights on an M-16 was that the rear sight had a..."push the tab in and rotate the aperture left or right" system. It was very stiff, it required a tool or a bullet to push the tab in - it wasn't something you casually adjust. And then the peep-sight itself didn't have an elevation adjustment per say. It was just flip the peep-sight to 100 meter, or long range - which gave you a larger or smaller rear peep sight. All in all it wasn't user friendly I thought. You were supposed to battle sight your rifle, making the adjustments at a paper target from about 25 meters. Once you moved your shot group to center - you were supposed to leave it alone and only flip back and forth from short range to long range on the rear peep sight.
It works, but I never cared for it. If I can find a good picture of it I'll post it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Big B -- 8/16/2008 5:56:20 PM >

(in reply to ANZAC_Tack)
Post #: 63
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/17/2008 8:44:46 AM   
ANZAC_Tack

sweet, im surprised the 50's sks was a bad experience for you.

im not much taller either, and found the fn fal i used in army(l1a1) a bit to long for my comfort,and really enjoyed the length of the m16 and better still the styre,im a instinctive shooter,and its personal really. i was is shooting club (military and civilian military style) for some 5 years and my AAA(sa 180 style) i was best with over .30 rifles(lee enfield/fn fal/m1),shorter length and 5.56 was just my thing i guess. i was gonna buy a m16 h2,but laws here changed because of a massecure in 97.

its all down to what u feel comfterbal with, if u can do more damage with a m1 then sks,then pick the m1.

i never tried a svt-40, though used something similar also chinese copy,it had rotating block,was some 4" longer,cant remember civilian name, same 10rd magazine as sks.looked like a moisan nagant but semi auto.fun to shoot and little recoil,but no first choice.

ANZAC_Tack

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 64
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/17/2008 4:02:07 PM   
Big B

quote:

sweet, im surprised the 50's sks was a bad experience for you.

Oh I wouldn't say the SKS was a bad experience, I just overall preferred the M-1.

quote:

i never tried a svt-40, though used something similar also chinese copy,it had rotating block,was some 4" longer,cant remember civilian name, same 10rd magazine as sks.looked like a moisan nagant but semi auto.fun to shoot and little recoil,but no first choice.

Below is a picture of the SVT-40. It's a good rifle, and I enjoy shooting it. You can see the design influence of the SVT-40 on the SKS (considered a carbine by the Russians).

The rifle I would love to have is a Russian SVD (sexiest rifle ever made IMHO) - but that's beyond this topic.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Big B -- 8/17/2008 4:07:39 PM >

(in reply to ANZAC_Tack)
Post #: 65
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/18/2008 2:03:58 PM   
Anthropoid

So was the M-16 an actual improvement on the M-1? Sounds questionable.

Now again I'm no expert, so just asking here but . . . on some other site, somebody posted this slow-motion video comparing an AK and an M-16 firing. The AK exhibited all kinds of wobbling and jiggling in the parts. Now maybe this was just a crappy worn out cheap AK-knockoff that was being filmed, but IIRC, there was also some text to go along with this video that indicated that in "official" tests, the AK exhibited a lot less accurcy because it was just a less precision instrument. If you want, I can go back over to 1BC and try to dig out that video and link to it here.

So would you guys say this is nonsense? In the hands of a sample of experts, would the M-16 get better accuracy & precision scores in terms of hitting the target?

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 66
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/18/2008 3:07:25 PM   
JudgeDredd

I used to shoot this puppy in the army

Self Loading Rifle.

Good strong rifle...accurate and 7.62 calibre...quite heavy and long (standing up and shotting it took some forearm and shoulder strength) and a kick like a mule.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 67
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/18/2008 4:14:06 PM   
Big B

That would all be personal point of view - but the improvement was in volume of fire, less recoil, and lighter weight.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid
So was the M-16 an actual improvement on the M-1? Sounds questionable.

The M-16 is definitely more accurate than an AK.
Accuracy was never the AK's/SKS's strongest selling point - that was reliability and 'accurate enough' for the battlefield.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid
Now again I'm no expert, so just asking here but . . . on some other site, somebody posted this slow-motion video comparing an AK and an M-16 firing. The AK exhibited all kinds of wobbling and jiggling in the parts. Now maybe this was just a crappy worn out cheap AK-knockoff that was being filmed, but IIRC, there was also some text to go along with this video that indicated that in "official" tests, the AK exhibited a lot less accurcy because it was just a less precision instrument. If you want, I can go back over to 1BC and try to dig out that video and link to it here.

So would you guys say this is nonsense? In the hands of a sample of experts, would the M-16 get better accuracy & precision scores in terms of hitting the target?

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 68
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/18/2008 8:04:34 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

Yeah, the SKS was a Chinese made one, cheap to buy but fell apart gradually as it was used. Also, it came in a bag encased with that gooey vaseline gunk. It never really stopped oozing out of the wood. The Garand is heavy, but for me, (6'3" 210 lbs) it's just about right sized. Plus the heavier rifle offsets the increased recoil of the '06.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to ANZAC_Tack)
Post #: 69
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/18/2008 10:34:09 PM   
Anthropoid

Well never having lugged around weapons and ammo. But based on the back-country camping trips I've done, I'm gonna vote for lighter. Accuracy to me is also key: If I'm gonna bother shooting at somebody, I'd like to think that missing them will be a function of me not shooting straight, instead of the AK/SKS not shooting straight: even if that does mean that I might have to baby that weapon a bit and keep it from getting soiled

I vote for the M-16 over the AK for the post-War era.

You guys are making it really hard to decided what the "best" WWII era small-arms weapon is though . . .

I guess though, based on the comments on the M-1 Garand, that'd be the one I'd prefer, heavy though it might be.

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 8/18/2008 10:43:08 PM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 70
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/19/2008 6:54:20 PM   
Big B

For those who think that semi-auto infantry rifles are now obsolete - and the "full-auto capable assault-rifle" is the final word in the post WWII era,
I refer you to this assessment of combat last week:

quote:

Speaking on condition of anonymity, some of the American trainers spoke bluntly about problems with the Georgian troops, who one veteran sergeant said "got torn up real bad."
The Americans were training them to use the U.S. military's M-4 rifles, he said. But when fighting broke out, the Georgians went back to the Soviet AK-47, the only weapon they trusted. They appeared incapable of firing single shots, instead letting off bursts of automatic fire, which is wildly inaccurate and wastes ammunition, he said.

The entire article:
http://wiredispatch.com/news/?id=302938

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 71
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/20/2008 9:21:40 AM   
ANZAC_Tack

but there lies the problem, training. when i used the sks it was 30rd auto,but i used semi,i was trained on SLR,double tap in close range, and aimed shots thereafter except ambush or contacts close. loose off a mag then hit deck,crawl,then aim.

ANZAC_Tack

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 72
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/20/2008 4:23:35 PM   
Krikke100

In training lies the differences, yes, but you have to keep in mind that some weapons are designed with certain types of training/doctrines in mind.  A westerner would prefer the M16 range of weapons, because western armies are generally composed of well trained soldiers, and we would like to be able to use our skill with a rifle to achieve results in the field.  The AK is far less accurate, but not neccesarily a worse weapon.  It was designed with human wave style tactics in mind, most often executed by far less skilled conscription armies.  For that, you needed volume of fire more than anything else.  I would argue that the AK is the perfect weapon for this style of fighting.  Since the AK perferctly fitted with the Russian/Chinese armies, whereas the M16 initially proved less succesful (Vietnam tended to be spray and pray into the bushes by conscripts), I'd say the AK much better fits it's purpose. 

Also, in modern conventional war (not in lower intensity guerilla warfare), volume of fire is generally more important than accuracy, because the soldiers don't take their time aiming (too much lead and explosions about to expose yourself).  I've quite frequently read accounts of WWII soldiers saying that they never really took aimed shots in combat.  Accurate weapons defenitely would be very important for me, but if I was a regular soldier in a large conventional war, I'd considder rate of fire far more important than pinpoint accuracy for my personal weapon.

(in reply to ANZAC_Tack)
Post #: 73
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/21/2008 1:10:47 AM   
Big B

Yes, training and doctrine matter and are tailored to the weapon.
But the point I was illustrating is - that even in 2008, 60 years after WWII, aimed fire is still recognized as the most effective mode of infantry fire.
The point the training sergeant made in the article above was "bursts of automatic fire are wildly inaccurate and wastes ammunition", in a phrase - bad tactics.
The only time automatic fire is worth while is at point-blank range, essentially clearing a room...or something close to that.
At Ft.Benning, it was demonstrated to us just how inaccurate and wasteful 'rock'n'roll' (full-auto) is:
We fitted our M-16A1's with bi-pods, took a prone firing position, and sighted on human silhouette (prone) targets at only 50 meters. We fired 3-4 round bursts on target - it was seen time and time again that only the first round had any chance of hitting (90+% of the first rounds hit...ALL the others missed - even that steady on a bi-pod). Further, using full-auto burns your limited ammo supply in seconds.

That is why I said earlier (a number of posts above) that I personally believe that the post-war decision to abandon the full-power auto-loader (such as M-14) in favor of the assault rifle (such as M-16/AK-47) "AS THE general issue battle-rifle" was a poor decision (the US Army didn't want McNamara taking away their M-14's in 1964, though the later generation of Army officers were used to the M-16 family).
I think that is reflected in the active shooting community - in the way that M-14/M1A1, L1A1, H&K-91, and SVD, etc, all command much higher purchase prices than AK's or AR-15s (for example)...the power of the free market - supply and demand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AS a post-script to my own post#19 above -regarding the MG-42 and its ultra high rate of fire:
"Automatic machine gun fire is to provide suppressive fire" in the infantry role. Too high a rate of fire is counter-productive.
All automatic fire is inaccurate, too high a rate of fire burns ammo too quickly and heats up a barrel - necessitating a barrel change. The reason I counted the MG-42 as 'not ideal' in the infantry machine gun role is for precisely these reasons. Even though the MG-42 has a cyclic ROF of 1200 rpm or higher (a bit of an 'ego trip') - it wastes ammunition without achieving greater effect, and also renders the real rate of fire per minute to less than a slower firing machine gun (German Whermacht manuals caution firing more than 250-300 rpm - less than a Browning M1919A4 can safely put out over a minute).
The proof is in post-war machine guns. As of 1960-1980, ALL infantry machine guns produced by the Russians and Americans had a ROF of about 650 rpm. This is decades AFTER WWII, and after MANY further conflicts...so there were no secrets by that time. The Super Powers could easily have changed to a higher ROF firing machine gun had it proven its worth by then...combat reality dictated otherwise.

B

< Message edited by Big B -- 8/21/2008 3:48:21 AM >

(in reply to Krikke100)
Post #: 74
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 8/21/2008 9:20:00 AM   
Krikke100

Oh, I agree that aimed, single shot fire is theoretically better, but it seems quite hard to achieve in full blown combat.  From what I gather, in WWII and Vietnam it was more an issue of shooting in the general direction of the enemy.  This is obvious if you look at how little of the rounds fired actually hit.  This despite the fact that in WWII the troops were generall well trained and used very accurate bolt-action rifles.  Small arms are primarily used to suppress the enemy to enable movement.  I'm not saying blast away wildly (for well-trained troops), you need your bullets to land close to the enemy still.  The most effective for that in heavy battle (for a personal weapon, not machine guns), seems to be single shot fire, but in a way that you pop up, fire a couple of rounds in rapid succession, and then duck again, without taking your time to aim at a specific target.  I can't talk from personal experience, but for fire like that the lighter weapons seem to have an advantage, on account of having less recoil.  This enables you to fire more rounds at the enemy during the same time you expose yourself by needing a fration of a second less to steady your gun after each shot. 

Full auto is mostly reserved for close quarters or self defence (enemy on top of you and no longer firing at targets assigned by your leaders).  Since this kind of combat is the most deadly as far as small arms are concerned, I'd place much value of having a weapon with full auto capabilities or, in WWII, at least semi-auto. 

Accuracy is important, even more so in what Western troops are currently doing in the Middle East, but being able to put more rounds close to the target fast seems to me to be better than being able to, theoretically, hit targets half a mile away.  For that, you have advanced marksmen and snipers.  The regular infantryman has to suppress, for that he needs rate of fire, as long as he can keep a semblance of accuracy. 

WWII I'd probably take the M1 carabine or a sub machinegun, maybe the MP44.  Modern, I've always liked the M16/M4-series, from what I've read and seen about their capabilities. 

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 75
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 9/8/2008 5:00:19 AM   
Anthropoid

It is now 2008, and the U.S. and Soviet Union have both engaged in numerous wars since they both arrived at their basic shoulder arm design. There must be guys who are doing the statistical analyses to see if "Project Salvo" turns out to have been correct after all, eh?

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle#Project_SALVO

[edit] Project SALVO
In 1948, the Army organized the civilian Operations Research Office (ORO), mirroring similar operations research organizations in the United Kingdom. One of their first efforts, Project ALCLAD, studied body armor and the conclusion was that they would need to know more about battlefield injuries in order to make reasonable suggestions.[4] Over 3 million battlefield reports from WWI and WWII were analyzed and over the next few years they released a series of reports on their findings.[4]
The conclusion was that most combat takes place at short range. In a highly mobile war, combat teams ran into each other largely by surprise; and the team with the higher firepower tended to win. They also found that the chance of being hit in combat was essentially random — that is, accurate "aiming" made little difference because the targets no longer sat still. The number one predictor of casualties was the total number of bullets fired.[4] Other studies of behavior in battle revealed that many U.S. infantrymen (as many as 2/3) never actually fired their rifles in combat. By contrast, soldiers armed with rapid fire weapons (such as submachine guns) were much more likely to have fired their weapons in battle.[5]

(in reply to Krikke100)
Post #: 76
RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? - 9/8/2008 1:42:10 PM   
105mm Howitzer

JD, you too got familiar with that beaut? I remember crying bitter tears when we gave those up for our Mattel C7 ( Cdn M-16) WE even got rid of our Smigs ( Sterling SMG), and those were, if not terribly accurate, at least dirt-friendly and reliable. ( not to mention lightweight)
|At home I've got a Lee-Enfield Mk.4 , with FR'44 stamped next to the safety. I assumed this one was issued out to Free French forces in 1944. Also, someone did a stickman on the butt's wood. Still works fine, but I had to get a new bolt prior to firing it. Not a bad rifle.
quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I used to shoot this puppy in the army

Self Loading Rifle.

Good strong rifle...accurate and 7.62 calibre...quite heavy and long (standing up and shotting it took some forearm and shoulder strength) and a kick like a mule.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 77
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI