Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Clubs, Ladders and ..?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Opponents Wanted >> Clubs, Ladders and ..? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Clubs, Ladders and ..? - 8/8/2008 3:35:37 AM   
Ike1947

I just purchased WBtS today, downloaded and installed it. Briefly scanned the manual then devoured the video tutorials as well as two of the AARs on these forums. Looks like a fine game to me!

Now my question is, since the links to the "Members" services yield a "404 error" rather than a web site or page, are there any clubs using WBtS or ladders operating? Any being considered? Any being organized? I recognize the difficulties of having a multi-player campaign game - indeed, the impossibility of such! - as the game is written. Seems as though one could have a ladder or tournament organization, though. Anything being done along those lines or already up and running that has adopted WBtS??

While I await a reply, I shall dive back into the game, first attempting a learning game as the CSA, "Easy" level of difficulty, without FoW. What other game settings seem to be the ones for "competition" level games please? Thanks to all for their replies.

And to the game developers, programmers, and all you folks:

" ... it is only those who have never heard a shot, never heard the shriek and groans of the wounded and lacerated ... that cry aloud for more blood, more vengeance, more desolation"
Post #: 1
RE: Clubs, Ladders and ..? - 8/8/2008 4:24:44 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike
Now my question is, since the links to the "Members" services yield a "404 error" rather than a web site or page

Where are you seeing this?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Ike1947)
Post #: 2
RE: Clubs, Ladders and ..? - 8/8/2008 4:24:56 AM   
nelmsm1

We are voting to include it in our line up of games for play at the American Civil War Gaming Club. Looks like it will pass quite easily and be included. You can find out more info here:
http://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/

(in reply to Ike1947)
Post #: 3
RE: Clubs, Ladders and ..? - 8/8/2008 5:24:23 PM   
Ike1947

Erik: I was getting that yesterday here: Members Club, login; click on Games Depot/Ladder or Battle HQ and got that 404 error. Just now, to be certain, I returned there and those come up with content. Sorry for the false alarm; perhaps my membership hadn't gotten into the system or something like that.

Nelmsm: Thanks for the link. I believe I went there yesterday, from the AAR of two members .. sorry; can't recall their names .. and it looks okay.

Are there any "fan sites" for WBtS? I was thinking of starting a blog, perhaps on wordpress, for my games both vs. AI and PBEM.

" ... it is only those who have never heard a shot, never heard the shriek and groans of the wounded and lacerated ... that cry aloud for more blood, more vengeance, more desolation"

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 4
RE: Clubs, Ladders and ..? - 8/8/2008 10:13:32 PM   
Ike1947

Erik: At this time I'm getting a "404 not found" error when I click on the content found in the Members area, specifically, for the Game Depot/Ladder and for the Battle HQ. Both of these are from outside the Matrix site.

(in reply to Ike1947)
Post #: 5
RE: Clubs, Ladders and ..? - 8/18/2008 3:18:08 AM   
Ike1947

I don't know for sure if this is the right category to post this in, so I'll use this old thread of mine in case it's the wrong place. I was looking over the various game options and reading through the topics on PBEM games and game options, etc, and was trying to get an idea of the most popular options. Here's what I see as being the options and the settings. Now, maybe some of these don't apply in PBEM and I haven't figured that out yet. Please tell me if one of these is only for games vs. the AI. For a PBEM game, obviously, PBEM is checked "on". I'm uncertain about General Difficulty Level; it may only be for games vs. the AI. The others seem to be possible in a PBEM. Now, which are the most popular choices? I ask because I'm starting to get a feel for the game controls and some notion of what's possible operationally in games vs. the AI. So any day now, I'll get frisky and ask for a PBEM opponent!

UNION: Control - Player/Computer Production - Player/Computer
CONFEDERATE: Control - Player/Computer Production - Player/Computer
GENERAL DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Easy, Normal, Challenging, Hard, Impossible

GAME OPTIONS:
FOG OF WAR: On/Off
SUPPLY HELP: 0 - ?
LEADER & PARTISAN HELP: + - 3
TRANSPORT LEVEL: % of additional transportation capacity via rail
LEADER RANDOMIZATION: Historical/Semi-Random/Random
UNKNOWN LEADER RATINGS: on/off
USE SUBCOMMANDERS: on/off
LIMITED COMMAND POINT RECOVERY: on/off

And of course the choice of which side do you prefer? I, so far, prefer the Confederate as their overall situation appeals to my personality. Thanks!

(in reply to Ike1947)
Post #: 6
RE: Clubs, Ladders and ..? - 8/18/2008 6:02:08 PM   
Treefrog

Ike,

Typically in pbem the players do all the decidin' around here, including production. Presumably you could let the computer do yours.

The difficulty levels are not used in live play, although I suppose one could work in a handicap by adjusting things like railroad capacity, supply help, partisans, etc. I've never tried. The challenge there is that pbem opponents don't necessarily know each other and don't know what adjustments would be appropriate to achieve play balance.
Presumably this would be a good tool for people experienced with the game and each that want to fine tune game balance.

You might also want to consider the informal "house rule" being discussed elsewhere in the forum regarding the invasion of Kentcky. It has some appeal to some folks.

I am currently blessed with two opponents that are fine gentlemen and good adversaries. I am really being schooled by Warhunter. A recent small joy was when AC McDowell decided to retire in February 1863 so I get to replace him for free, although I think my calcified brain forgot to do that in my turn. Hmm, I'm feeling very Halleck-like.

Enjoy.

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to Ike1947)
Post #: 7
RE: Clubs, Ladders and ..? - 8/18/2008 9:59:54 PM   
Ike1947

Thanks, Treefrog!  I had a longer reply done, but when I went to post, it had timed out on me.    I guess the best choices for PBEM are to "no" or "zero" the various helps, use FoW on, leaders, etc by agreement and some house rule for the "Kentucky Blitz".  Semi or Random leaders, I think, and CSC as well as Limited CP Recovery, maybe.

I may join that online Civil War gaming club - the boss there was nice enough to reply to my inquiry email - and of course stay around here; want to diversify my opponent choices.  Got my blog started on wordpress and added it to my info here since that shows up when one "clicks" on my handle. Looking forward to games with you guys here and those at the Civil War club likely as not.  Thanks again, Treefrog!!

< Message edited by Ike -- 8/18/2008 10:00:57 PM >

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Opponents Wanted >> Clubs, Ladders and ..? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI