Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Following game on multiple PCs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Following game on multiple PCs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Following game on multiple PCs - 8/23/2008 11:46:20 PM   
RayKinStL

Marshall,

I have EiA on my laptop and my desktop. Last night I made my set up for the PBEM game I am in on the dektop. I thought I would be able to load the set up file on my laptop. That did not work though. So is there anyway to have two computer's synced without having to do the same exact things each turn on both PCs (which I would NOT do for fear I would forget something on one or the other and then mess the whole game up). My desktop runs the game so much quicker, but when I am at work or my second job, I bviously can't have it with me. Is there a way more me to accomplish this?

Ray
Post #: 1
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/24/2008 12:04:45 AM   
DCWhitworth

Do you have a licence for both copies of the game ? The licence agreement suggests you have to have this.

Regards
David

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 2
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/24/2008 2:52:24 AM   
RayKinStL

I am not even going to reply to this.  If it is not something you support, jsut say so.  But to suggest I should buy two license for ONE user is ridiculous...especially when it's a $70 beta version (sorry Marshall, but we both know it's not there yet).

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 3
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/24/2008 3:10:11 AM   
Jimmer

To answer your question, it MAY work, but not likely. There have been many threads on security in the game, and I have hopes that some of those issues have been fixed.

If you think about it, having a second copy allows you to "practice" against your opponent's moves or chit pulls. I would hope you would get an out of synch error, at a minimum.

-------------------

Regarding the license, you definitely should have two licenses if you wish to do that (or, a written statement from Matrix that a second copy is OK -- possibly for testing purposes). If you choose to perform an illegal act, that's your choice. But, it IS illegal, regardless of whatever reasons or excuses are used to justify it.

And, no, I have nothing to do with Matrix other than this forum and the purchase of games.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 4
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/24/2008 5:17:45 AM   
RayKinStL

Considering all the piracy that happens in this world, and the sub-standard levels this game was at in its initial release when I paid $70.00 for it, to come at me on the forums about me using the game for my own purposes one two of MY PCs is fairly assinine.  Of course they would state it in the license agreement, because there are other implications for piracy and whatnot, but given the nature of the situation, which is fairly obvious to anyone reading the thread, I think questioning how I am using it is a bit over zealous.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 5
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/24/2008 5:32:22 AM   
gwheelock

Leaving the question of Copyright/Piracy as a matter between you, your consience & Matrix's lawyers;

I  think that you should be able to move the game between 2 machines by simply moving the latest
copy of the game files in the "SAVE" subdirectory (gamename.SAV and gamename.SAV.DAT) between
the machines - either via thumbdrive; rom disc, email or whatever.

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 6
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/24/2008 1:55:49 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: RayKinStL
Considering all the piracy that happens in this world, and the sub-standard levels this game was at in its initial release when I paid $70.00 for it, to come at me on the forums about me using the game for my own purposes one two of MY PCs is fairly assinine.  Of course they would state it in the license agreement, because there are other implications for piracy and whatnot, but given the nature of the situation, which is fairly obvious to anyone reading the thread, I think questioning how I am using it is a bit over zealous.

I apologise if you have taken offence, I'm not 'coming at you'. I was trying to be helpful in pointing out to you that what you were doing was in violation of the licence agreement which says "Matrix Publishing, LLC grants the original purchaser of this software package the right to use one copy of the software program." As an IT Professional who deals closely with software licencing as part of my job I am very familiar with the fact many people don't bother to read the terms of their licence so I was trying to be helpful.

Regards
David

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 7
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/24/2008 4:18:22 PM   
bresh

Just uninstall on 1 pc, before you install on the other and you follow the license agreement.

It takes some extra time, and is giving the players a extra problem witch matrix games likely didnt expect.
Im guessing the license-team did not really think it through about 1 owner needing to have it installed on more than 1 pc to play in a slow pbm game.
These days some people have more than 1 pc, 1 for home 1 for travel/office.

Regards
Bresh

< Message edited by bresh -- 8/24/2008 4:19:34 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/24/2008 5:54:32 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: DCWhitworth

I apologise if you have taken offence, I'm not 'coming at you'. I was trying to be helpful in pointing out to you that what you were doing was in violation of the licence agreement which says "Matrix Publishing, LLC grants the original purchaser of this software package the right to use one copy of the software program." As an IT Professional who deals closely with software licencing as part of my job I am very familiar with the fact many people don't bother to read the terms of their licence so I was trying to be helpful.

If that is actually how the license is worded then it's vague at best. Maybe Matrix needs to get some better lawyers.

Post #: 9
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/24/2008 6:14:05 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

If that is actually how the license is worded then it's vague at best. Maybe Matrix needs to get some better lawyers.

I quite agree with you. The term 'use' *might* be interpreted to mean 'run', so you could have multiple copies as long as you only ran one at any one time, but I honestly doubt that is the intent.

Regards
David

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 10
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/24/2008 9:26:13 PM   
RayKinStL

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: DCWhitworth

It seems it is not very often I agree with NeverMan...lol...but in this case I totally agree. If that is what the agreement says, then I am totally in line with it. I too work in IT DC, and I know all about licensing. I also don't agree with piracy. I purchase all my songs from iTunes (or Amazon) and rent my movies from Netflix. Both of us being from IT, we should know that what I am doing, and the situation I described, should never be a problem. In fact, by the way you quoted your license agreement, not only am I in line with it, but I could install it on 100 PCs that I own, since I would still only being "using one copy" of the software. The exception would be if I had it running on 2 or more PCs at the SAME TIME. However, this is never the case. Generally speaking, companies like M$ write their license agreements based on processors. So they say you can load this software onto one, and only one, processor. Either way, the arguement is dumb, and moot because I am going to continue using it on both PCs, so I am letting it go.

< Message edited by RayKinStL -- 8/24/2008 9:43:14 PM >

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 11
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/25/2008 1:17:50 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Ray:

We've never run into this issue. I'm not real sure what Matrix's view is on this. Some licenses allow for the use of a laptop and desktop on the same SN but I'm really not sure here??? We never intentionally tried to prevent this just because this laptop/desktop issue has not come up. Maybe I can get with Matrix and see what their view is...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 12
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/25/2008 2:54:30 PM   
AresMars

Marshall, this is their forum and their legal requirement.

How about you let a Matrix person look into this issue and you concentrate on programming.

This is basically a Customer service issue.

IMHO, RayKinStL should direct his question and issues to Matrix Games and not use the forum for Customer complaints relating to the game license.

I still defend his right to post, however, if he wants a resolution, he won't get it here in a public forum.

[ADDED: Ray, it seems I _also_ misunderstood and I appoligize for that. My bad....Please dont invade my contry? Can we Ally for a Political Point? ]

< Message edited by AresMars -- 8/25/2008 4:30:05 PM >

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 13
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/25/2008 3:18:06 PM   
DCWhitworth

To be fair Ray was asking about moving game files between computers, not about licencing.

But yes it would be good to have a definitive answer from Matrix, is the licencing concurrent usage or not ?

Regards
David

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 14
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/25/2008 3:21:46 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: RayKinStL

Marshall,

I have EiA on my laptop and my desktop. Last night I made my set up for the PBEM game I am in on the dektop. I thought I would be able to load the set up file on my laptop. That did not work though. So is there anyway to have two computer's synced without having to do the same exact things each turn on both PCs (which I would NOT do for fear I would forget something on one or the other and then mess the whole game up). My desktop runs the game so much quicker, but when I am at work or my second job, I bviously can't have it with me. Is there a way more me to accomplish this?

Ray

Ray

I know this thread has got a little side tracked (my fault I know !) but I know of no reason why you should not be able to transfer save and setup files between computers.

It happens often enough on the forums with people posting up save games or occasionally setup files. I've loaded other people's files with no issues.

If you are maintaining two computers I think it would be important to make sure they were on the same patch version (obvious I know, but best said I think)

Regards
David

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 15
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/25/2008 3:25:14 PM   
bresh

Im sure some players have problems with the licensing.

Since each game all players need to use same patch.  But this prevents players from playing many games, or spend time testing, unless we bother uninstalling/installing the game in some endless loop. To tell the truth, this different patch problems can go boring.
Problem is as the game is atm, each new patch brings many needed fixes.
But the official input is only use official patches.

Regards
Bresh

Post #: 16
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/25/2008 4:45:43 PM   
RayKinStL

Thansk DC.  I tried this out this morning and it works (and I am always running the latest version the day it comes out).  I just have to be diligent about moving the save game file to the computer I do NOT make MY moves on to ensure both game files are consistent. 

And Ares, while I support your right to an opinion, the statement "How about you let a Matrix person look into this issue and you concentrate on programming." seemed a bit harsh. I appreciated Marshall's well intentioned response, and your follow up of basically telling him to shut up and do his job seems a bit harsh. Marshall is a great ambassador for Matrix and I don't think addressing this question was beyond his scope.

< Message edited by RayKinStL -- 8/25/2008 4:48:45 PM >

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 17
RE: Following game on multiple PCs - 8/25/2008 9:58:31 PM   
Marshall Ellis

We've kind of got this subject going on in two threads and I have given this question to Matrix.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Following game on multiple PCs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI