Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I love this game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> I love this game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I love this game - 9/3/2008 2:15:34 AM   
Mad Cow

I'm a bit late onto this one, but I'm a long time civil war buff and i just love the flavor of this game. can't wait to be good enough to play pbem. :)

Post #: 1
RE: I love this game - 9/3/2008 2:30:18 AM   
paullus99

From a playability standpoint - top notch

Does it give the player a real flavor of the Civil War - absolutely

Definitive Strategic Civil War Game - quite possibly

You know a game is good when you look at the clock, realize you've been playing for six straight hours and say - "ah, just one more turn!"

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Mad Cow)
Post #: 2
RE: I love this game - 9/3/2008 3:55:23 AM   
Harvey Birdman

quote:

I love this game
Me too.

I'm more of a Suz Tzu, John Boyd and Bill Lind manuever warfare buff. It's a nice Napoleonic warfare with a civil war twist.

But the AI sucks as much as Fremont as TC.

I think they did a great job with showing the importance of calvary at the strategic level. The movement and supply rules show the importance of railroads during the civil war.

Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are as inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away but to return once more. Sun Tzu

(in reply to Mad Cow)
Post #: 3
RE: I love this game - 9/3/2008 7:22:34 PM   
Ike1947

The reason God created other humans to be our opponents in all of these games, gentlemen, is because ... ready? ... "... the AI sucks as much as Fremont as TC."

Best AI can be is training in game rules, interface use, game mechanics compared with our individual notions of strategic and/or tactical maneuvers and "tricks", how to implement what we think we know of military tactics, etc using this particular game engine, and how long we can "pause" a game - or how long for some phase to run as a "black box" so that we can run to get a cup of coffee or go potty before it's finished.  Once we've accomplished our training mission with the AI, then we seek out our live opponents.  For the above-recited reason plus the thrill of losing or winning against someone who is as real as we are.  Yep; that's it.

" ... it is only those who have never heard a shot, never heard the shriek and groans of the wounded and lacerated ... that cry aloud for more blood, more vengeance, more desolation"

(in reply to Harvey Birdman)
Post #: 4
RE: I love this game - 9/3/2008 8:54:55 PM   
tran505

Ditto ditto. I am in my third month of game-lock. I think it was Howard Hughes who was rumored to sit in his penthouse watching "Ice Station Zebra" for months at a time -- neither bathing nor going out into the world. That may be my future with this one someday!

I am also not as down on the AI as some -- especially when playing as the North. Fact is that the South can get away with more passive play, and the AI does a respectable job (with the exception of the Trans-Missisippi where I think it needs some help). If you don't have enough challenge, then simply turn up the difficulty level until you set your hair on fire and run screaming out of the room.

Then you know you are truly having fun.

- P

(in reply to Ike1947)
Post #: 5
RE: I love this game - 9/5/2008 3:18:42 AM   
John Neal

Agreed, great game.

(in reply to tran505)
Post #: 6
RE: I love this game - 9/5/2008 5:22:41 AM   
Doc o War

agreed- this game has all the basics there for it- and the designers are reactive to the changing issues as they occure, and are gracious enough to let all of us suggest ideas that blend into the fabric of the entire process. 
 All in all a very hopeful beginning- congrats on the launch of a very good game. Let us hope that a year from now when we are playing the final version of this thing- with all patches patched and corrected rules in place and et all. That we will be glad we stayed with this one- because it has such promise.

Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.

(in reply to John Neal)
Post #: 7
RE: I love this game - 9/13/2008 7:13:11 AM   
Texican

I agree this is a great game. The AI is challenging and the game mechanics are simple and fluid.

I went ahead and added some music files from a couple of Civil War films and this makes the background music even better.

(in reply to Mad Cow)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> I love this game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI