Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rookie Status

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Rookie Status Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rookie Status - 9/3/2008 4:12:22 PM   
Wrathchild

I was wondering if someone could clarify this for me:

'To qualify as a rookie in Major League Baseball, a player has to have fewer than 130 at bats or 50 innings pitched in the majors, and 45 days on the active rosters of major league clubs (excluding time on the disabled list or any time after rosters are expanded on September 1st).'

If I want someone to potentially be eligible for Rookie of the Year does this mean I could have them on the regular roster for the full season and let them bat, theoretically, only 10 times? And is this cumulative from season to season, so that if if by season 3 the player has >=45 days on the roster and less than 130 AB he could still be Rookie of the Year in his 3rd season?

J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)
Post #: 1
RE: Rookie Status - 9/5/2008 5:01:01 AM   
tirk44

No - you could not have them on the roster - that should be an "OR 45 days on the MLB roster" - so as long as one of those 3 criteria are met, they are no longer a rookie.

Yes - sometimes a rookie could be in their 3rd year. It's a cumulative rule.

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 2
RE: Rookie Status - 9/5/2008 1:57:45 PM   
Wrathchild

Is the status determined at the end of a season? If so then the logic is as follows?

< 130 At Bats OR < 50 Innings Pitched OR >= 45 days on the regular season roster

This doesn't make sense to me because, according to this logic, A-Rod could still be considered a rookie, since he's had >= 45 days on the roster. Only one part of a multiple OR statement has to be true for it to meet the condition.

J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)

(in reply to tirk44)
Post #: 3
RE: Rookie Status - 9/5/2008 9:51:58 PM   
KG Erwin

Here's how the official rule is stated:

"Determining rookie status:
A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list)."

Note that the 45-day rule applies to the period BEFORE roster expansion goes into effect.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 9/5/2008 9:55:29 PM >

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 4
RE: Rookie Status - 9/5/2008 10:06:36 PM   
Wrathchild

That reads much better that way. However, I'm still not sure about a couple of things. I had a pitcher who was named Best Rookie Pitcher during his first full major league season. This isn't the same as Rookie of the Year, is it? And I'm not sure how he could be considered a rookie at all, as in the prior 2 seasons he pitched a total of 90.1 innings for me, and then pitched 212 innings in the season he was named the Best Rookie Pitcher. The 90.1 innings were all, I believe, accumulated after the September call ups, but the rookie rule doesn't seem to state that this has any bearing on the accumulation of At Bats or Innings Pitched.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Rookie Status - 9/9/2008 4:04:18 AM   
tirk44

Sorry for the weird wording.  Based on what you said, it sounds like a bug, then.  He should have lost his "rookie" status after his 2nd year.  How were the innings broken out?  Maybe if it was 45 and 45.1 - both under the 50 innings limit - that little flag didn't go off.  It doesn't matter that the innings where thrown in September, just for the games count.  Ah well, just pretend he's Japanese and had some prior experience before winning :)

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 6
RE: Rookie Status - 9/24/2008 1:39:06 PM   
Wrathchild

Ok, I want to make one further clarification on this, mostly because I think I've cheated many of my young, good players from having a chance at being rookie of the year by using them too much.

When does the criteria of <50IP or <150AB apply? For example, let's say I bring a pitcher up from AAA during September and he pitches a total of 10 innings. I keep him in the majors for all of next season. Since he started the new season with <50IP does he qualify as a rookie, even if he pitches 200 innings in this new season? Likewise for batters.

(in reply to tirk44)
Post #: 7
RE: Rookie Status - 9/25/2008 3:32:34 AM   
Taz0713

My belief would be that the pitcher in your example would be considered a rookie in the next season (the one after he only pitched 10 innings in).  You don't loose your rookie status for a year until you pitched more innings or had more at bats than what was quoted above.

Therefore, in you example, since the pitcher only pitched 10 innings he would be considered a rookie the following season and eligible for rookie of the year.

I hope this makes sense, at least it does in my head.

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Rookie Status Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI