Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unable to add or move factors to corps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Unable to add or move factors to corps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unable to add or move factors to corps - 9/18/2008 7:28:13 AM   
MadMyron

This is really bugging me to no end. I bought the download and disc combo pack, and after I downloaded, I patched to version 1.03, by first patching, 1.01, then 1.02, and then 1.03. It went fine.

The problem I am having is that no matter what country I attempt to play, in any configuration, be it me solo against computers, me acting as all the countries, any form of setup, anything, it still does the same thing:

I will buy reinforcements, and am unable to place them into ANY corps, it will only let me put them into newly purchased corps, or placed into garrisons. If I place them into garrisons, it will not allow me to move them into any corps, period. No matter what. It will allow me to move them from garrions to depots, and back, but not to any corps. It is the same for all countries, and setups.

I have removed the program three different times, patched them fully, and still same thing. I have tried to play a unpatched version, same thing. I have tried patching to just 1.01, same thing. I have tried patching to just 1.02, same thing.

This is very very frustrating problem as I waited a long time for this game, as I am a old EiA player from a long time back.

My technical specs are: Win XP (fully up to date, with all service packs and updates), 2 gig of RAM, hard drive is 800 gig, with 490 gig free. I have a Nvidia GeFroce 6800.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Post #: 1
RE: Unable to add or move factors to corps - 9/18/2008 11:37:14 AM   
PBI

I hate to say this, but the obvious question is, are your corps located where they can accept replacements?  The reason I ask is because that was the one bit of info you didn't provide :)

If you can survive death, you can probably survive just about anything.

(in reply to MadMyron)
Post #: 2
RE: Unable to add or move factors to corps - 9/18/2008 11:38:35 AM   
fvianello

Let's see if we can fix the problem; sorry if i say obvious things, but i don't know your level of game's knowledge

1. Corps have a limit to the number of factors they can hold; if you see something like:
14/14 (inf)
0/14 (mil)
3/3 (cav)
the corps is full and cannot hold any more factor

2. to add factors to a corps, you have to double click on it on the main map (do not use the lower right area summary, it's used only to choose the corps selected on the main map)

3. You cannot mix factors of different nations in the same corps; prussian with prussian, saxons with saxons and so on

4. You cannot add reinforcements to corps outside their country and not within 1 area from a valid supply chain

Hope it helps,

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to MadMyron)
Post #: 3
RE: Unable to add or move factors to corps - 9/18/2008 12:03:04 PM   
Marshall Ellis

HanBarca is spot on here so if you follow his instructions with no success then let me know...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 4
RE: Unable to add or move factors to corps - 9/18/2008 4:09:29 PM   
Jimmer

For HanBarca's number 2, you can also add factors by clicking on the corps to select it, and then clicking the top left button in the lower left corner area. There are two rows of five buttons (potentially, some are missing at times) just  under the game log area. The top left of these buttons allows you to add factors to a corps. This two-step method gets you to the same place as double-clicking, but it works on corps which are in a stack (and not on top of the stack).

The other thing he didn't mention is that you have to be in the field (rural) area of the area you are in. Or, you can be in the city, but both the city AND the corps must have room for the extra factors. You can tell if a corps in in a city or the rural area by looking at the corps/fleet display at the bottom-right area of the screen (just left of the mini-map). When you click the tabs, it shows you the corps in that area, whether rural or city, and whether besieging or not (enemy vs. owner may be more accurate in some cases). When you click one of the corps counters, the description shows where that corps is.

I recommend avoiding trying to put factors into a corps that is inside of a city. You can be happily adding factors, and then it stops, and you can't tell why. The rural area is unlimited, and doesn't run into these end-cases.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 5
RE: Unable to add or move factors to corps - 9/18/2008 7:17:35 PM   
MadMyron

DOH! Ok, my problem was a several layered problem...LOL.  Part of it was the corps were in the city, and the city was at max.  Part of it was that the corps were at limit (I had forgotten that the corps had a total COMBINED limit of X inf and Y mil factors equals Z corps strength).  I was reading the corps counters as you could put 12 inf and 12 mil into it, instead of a total of 12 between inf and mil.  I am STUPID!  And here I had thought that the designers had done us a favor by making the corps bigger.....LOL.  Part of it was that I was not selecting it properly, and was trying to use the small window.

So, looks like I am good to go, gave it a try, and PRESTO, I can add troops to the corps and city limit (but alas, not to my hearts desire)....

Thanks guys, for your input!

< Message edited by MadMyron -- 9/18/2008 7:18:22 PM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 6
RE: Unable to add or move factors to corps - 9/18/2008 8:48:35 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: MadMyron
I am STUPID! 

Nope. Just inexperienced. Stupid people would have gotten mad at either the people who answered them or the game designers/coders for "their" error. You are most definitely not stupid.

Insane? Now, judging from your forum name, that's a possibility. But, hey, this is WARGAMER territory! Insanity is part of the landscape.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to MadMyron)
Post #: 7
RE: Unable to add or move factors to corps - 9/18/2008 9:15:17 PM   
fvianello

quote:

ORIGINAL: MadMyron

DOH! Ok, my problem was a several layered problem...LOL.  Part of it was the corps were in the city, and the city was at max.  Part of it was that the corps were at limit (I had forgotten that the corps had a total COMBINED limit of X inf and Y mil factors equals Z corps strength).  I was reading the corps counters as you could put 12 inf and 12 mil into it, instead of a total of 12 between inf and mil. 

I made exactly the same mistake at my first game :)

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to MadMyron)
Post #: 8
RE: Unable to add or move factors to corps - 9/19/2008 12:16:54 PM   
Marshall Ellis

This is a common situation that makes me take note.
What could I do to minimize the confusion?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 9
RE: Unable to add or move factors to corps - 9/19/2008 3:37:35 PM   
Jimmer

There are several issues here. I'll cover each:

For the "too many infantry and militia combined": This one is a simple experience issue. As soon as one realizes what the real problem is, they correct for it in their mind, and the problem never happens again. So, you can put out a rather lengthy explanation of it, knowing that people only have to read it once or twice. Further, you only need to note it when someone clicks the button to add factors to an already full corps. Just add the note:

This corps holds 12 combined infantry and militia.

You have

8 infantry and
4 militia

in it already.

And, make the "8 infantry" and "4 militia" be in a different typeface, possibly even a different color.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 10
RE: Unable to add or move factors to corps - 9/19/2008 3:42:26 PM   
Jimmer

For the problem of being in a city, you would have to add a check.

If

the corps is in a city and
the player has attempted to add a factor which has been prevented, and
the corps is already full to the city's capacity, but not to the corps capacity, then

Perform one of two actions. First, you could simply move the corps to the field automatically and add the factors. This can only be done, obviously, if the rural area does not contain enemy forces. (NOTE: This action can occur only during a reinforcement phase or a land movement phase, so the routine to move the corps to the rural area is available; just invoke it.)

Edited to add: If you do move the corps to the field, you might want to flag the user that you did it, since it can no longer be left in the city (which might be something the user would rather have over the troops).

Second, if the first is not possible for some reason, send a message to the user explaining why it doesn't work. Being verbose here is a good idea. It won't happen very often.

Edited to add: You might want to offer the first idea in the process of doing the second one (i.e. have the message ask to move the corps to the field).

< Message edited by Jimmer -- 9/19/2008 7:33:35 PM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 11
RE: Unable to add or move factors to corps - 9/19/2008 4:22:29 PM   
PBI

Jimmer's suggestion of adding a relatively lengthy example explanation covering the full process of adding factors to corps in the field, in a city, and outside their home nation should suffice.

If you can survive death, you can probably survive just about anything.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Unable to add or move factors to corps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI