Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: **Unofficial GoA Hints and Tips thread**

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: **Unofficial GoA Hints and Tips thread** Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: **Unofficial GoA Hints and Tips thread** - 9/6/2011 6:08:13 PM   
mitra76

Questions:

What researchs are more useful? How many points must be purchased for reasearch?

Make submarine warfare is useful for Germany?

(in reply to sbaxter1)
Post #: 31
RE: **Unofficial GoA Hints and Tips thread** - 9/10/2011 2:18:26 AM   
SMK-at-work

The most useful research is probably gas and trenches.

For the TE gas is necessary to try to catch the CP's initial advantage and hopefully negate some of it.  For the CP it is necessary to maintain an advantage to have a good chance of capturing Paris or quickly over-running Italy.

Trenches are self explanatory I hope :)

The next most useful IMO are artillery and aircraft.  High level artillery can inflict a constant drain of casualties - quite heavy ones if the enemy is not well entrenched.  And aircraf improve the effectiveness of artillery by spotting, and also decrease the effectiveness of enemy spotting if you have a tech advantage by shooting him down!

Assault or tanks are useful at the end of the game if you have a surplus of equipment over manpower - which you prefer will be a matter of taste - tanks use a lot of equipment so are probably easier for the TE than the CP.

Anti-submarine is long term research, but apparently does make a significant difference.

The only thing the CP can do to improve the effectiveness of u-boats is engage in unlimited submarine warfare - but that will usually only be useful in 1915 and 1916 when the Brits have limid numbers of transports and are trying to get the army to France - after that it becomes less and less useful & just bring the USA into the war faster - so there's not much point building u-boats in 1916 IMO.

(in reply to mitra76)
Post #: 32
RE: **Unofficial GoA Hints and Tips thread** - 9/10/2011 10:20:58 AM   
mitra76

Thanks, can I ask usually how many research point is useful to purchase for strategic turn?

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 33
RE: **Unofficial GoA Hints and Tips thread** - 9/18/2011 1:53:49 AM   
SMK-at-work

AS many as you can spare! :)

At the start always at least 1 for gas for both sides,  2 if you can afford it & the 2nd on trenches.  As production ramps up you can increase that to 3 - if things are going well I'll be buying 4 per turn by mid-2nd 1916..

If things aren't going well you'll find your 2 per turn will leave you well behind & you'll notice the differences - his artillery will be 4 or 5...you'll be losing some aircraft per turn, he's at 3 or 4 trench you're still at 2, etc.

(in reply to mitra76)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: **Unofficial GoA Hints and Tips thread** Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI