Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Information on USMC it the ETO

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Information on USMC it the ETO Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Information on USMC it the ETO - 10/8/2000 6:15:00 PM   
RUsco

Can anyone direct me to information on the United States Marine Corps operations in the European Treater. I know they served, and served well. Thanks all in advance.

Post #: 1
- 10/8/2000 6:28:00 PM   
jpgr

quote:

Originally posted by RUsco: Can anyone direct me to information on the United States Marine Corps operations in the European Treater. I know they served, and served well. Thanks all in advance.
Try here: http://www.usmc.mil/history.nsf/Table+of+Contents/77f992b2acb682eb852564d70059c642?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=5 Sorry about the long link... Here is another good site: http://metalab.unc.edu/hyperwar/index.html George

(in reply to RUsco)
Post #: 2
- 10/8/2000 6:46:00 PM   
RUsco

Thanks jpgr, Really good looking sites that I can spend some time in.

(in reply to RUsco)
Post #: 3
- 10/8/2000 7:51:00 PM   
Fabs

I may be wrong here, but I do not believe that any Marine outfits served in Europe during the second world war. They were employed in the Pacific. I am not an expert on the Marines, but through years of studying the War in Europe in detail I have never come across them. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to RUsco)
Post #: 4
- 10/8/2000 9:29:00 PM   
Randy

To my knowledge the only Marine activity in Europe was the occupation of Iceland at the begining of the war sometime in 40/41. Semper fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to RUsco)
Post #: 5
- 10/8/2000 11:18:00 PM   
Rhone

According to the website posted above, Marines secured Iceland along with the British until Pearl Harbor. They were then reassigned to PTO. They were advisors mostly but did go ashore in Operation Torch in North Africa and secured a Spanish Fort of some kind. They acted as sharpshooters atop of naval vessels in the North Atlantic and were assigned to shoot floating mines. In the Southern landings in France, they were put in charge of securing POW from island garrisons near the coastline. I never knew that, but now I know! Good site.

(in reply to RUsco)
Post #: 6
- 10/8/2000 11:54:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Marine units were also involved superficially at Normandy. There were Marine contingents on the US battleships Nevada and Texas (80-100 Marines on each ship) as observers of the invasion tactics. When the 2nd Rangers got into trouble near Point du Hoc, the Marines on the Texas were ordered to stand by to go ashore and reinforce the Rangers. When an Army General heard of it, he put the quietus on it. He wanted no headlines saying "US Marines rescue Army Rangers." This is taken from the book, Spearheading D-Day, page 196ff, by J. Gawyne. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to RUsco)
Post #: 7
- 10/12/2000 8:55:00 PM   
Iron Cross

In addition to the other replies concerning USMC participation in the ETO, the USMC also had liaison officers/SNCO's with the landings in Italy, Southern France and a few observers with the Royal Marines. These "observers" also went ashore during raids and other RM operations. There were approximately 45 USMC personnel also assigned special operations jobs with the SAS and the OSS, supporting underground and partisan operations in France, Italy and Yugoslavia. Although the overall numbers were low (total of less than 350), the USMC participation in the ETO was significant in terms of small-unit actions and training, amphibious operations and inter-service cooperation. If you have an other questions concerning the USMC, please feel free to e-mail me at usmc0202@mindspring.com Major Davenport USMC(AKA Iron Cross) Wenn Alles Bruders Es Schweigen

Col David A. Davenport (USMCR)
MSSI - 0202/0210
JFCOM - JTC (Intel/Counter-Intel)

(in reply to RUsco)
Post #: 8
- 10/13/2000 5:47:00 AM   
RUsco

Thanks to all for our replies. I was under the impresion(?) that the USMC had a larger role in the ETO. My Questions have been answered Thank you all William

(in reply to RUsco)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Information on USMC it the ETO Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI