Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Traditional Wargames Revived

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Traditional Wargames Revived Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Traditional Wargames Revived - 10/28/2008 3:00:56 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

If so, is it even possible to get the rights to do such games or have they been bought and sold into oblivion like 3rd Reich?

I would like to see an official computer game for Advanced Third Reich one of these days. I've made my own unofficial adaptation mod for SC2, including challenging AI for both sides, but still would like the "real" thing. The PC version of the original Third Reich fell quite flat.

I am not a WiF player but I am greatly looking forward to this computer version. Hopefully the ETO scenario will surpass Advanced Third Reich and provide a new benchmark. Whether it's WiF or A3R or Totaler Krieg or whatever, ETO gamers like myself are looking for a decent computer game with challenging AI. The appeal of WiF is that it also includes the PTO and global game scenarios to ease into, and all in one package.

Ai AI that can beat the heck out of a grognard. That is after all my holy grail of wargaming. When I practice solo, I would learn how to play better instead of worse. Improve my strategy instead of how to "beat the system". Ultimately leading to better strategy and tactics to use with my friends.

----

As for wargames dying out. I do not think so. It has shrunk but will not surrender. I do believe it has shrunk in the U.S. as the increase in console and PC games has increased.

----

As for hex gaming over area gaming. I guess that is a matter or choice. I personally like the logical presentation of hex games.

However an area based game could be improved by creating multiple layers of areas overlapping each other. This would include but not be limited to geographical, political, sociological, cultural, and realistic ZOC's impacted by the above. This could create a sphere of influence that could increase or decrease depending on the situation at hand. The multiple layers would then increase or decrease the efficency of units. With something like this I would be sold on an area based game pretty instantly.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 31
RE: Traditional Wargames Revived - 10/28/2008 3:27:53 PM   
micheljq

The Empires in Arms map is one which is area based. I like it a lot. I don't see it as being inferior nor superior to hex based games, which I like also. I appreciate those 2 ways of having a map.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 32
RE: Traditional Wargames Revived - 10/28/2008 6:47:00 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

The Empires in Arms map is one which is area based. I like it a lot. I don't see it as being inferior nor superior to hex based games, which I like also. I appreciate those 2 ways of having a map.

Yes, I agree. It depends upon what is being simulated.

Tactical land combat is best served by using a hex grid to simulate the combat unit occupying/controlling a fixed amount of territory. This also regulates movement, line of sight, range of weapons, terrain effects, and numerous other tactical details. Political and socio-economic simulations often find irregularly shaped areas to work well, without the need for the fine grain modeling provided by a hex grid.

My philosophy is to start with a solid definition of what is being simulated, and then to determine 'unit' size, minimum time periods, and (lastly) geographic parameters, which includes the hexgrid versus area movement decision.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 33
RE: Traditional Wargames Revived - 10/31/2008 8:05:24 PM   
wfzimmerman

I have a mental block, I simply cannot adapt to the modern area based games for the computer and can only grasp hex based games. I wish I could overcome this block because there are a heck of a lot of area based games out there today, but so far no luck.

The only area based games I ever remember liking are Diplomacy and SPI's 1812, a strategic level simulation of Napoleon in Russia.

What I remember liking about those game was the nice big areas on the map, which makes me wonder if a lot of my problem with area based games is simply the UI on a computer. Those darned provinces can look pretty small and squiggly even on a good sized monitor, but I suspect I'd have an easier time with them on a 22 x 34 printed map (or on Microsoft Surface).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Yes, I agree. It depends upon what is being simulated.

Tactical land combat is best served by using a hex grid to simulate the combat unit occupying/controlling a fixed amount of territory. This also regulates movement, line of sight, range of weapons, terrain effects, and numerous other tactical details. Political and socio-economic simulations often find irregularly shaped areas to work well, without the need for the fine grain modeling provided by a hex grid.

My philosophy is to start with a solid definition of what is being simulated, and then to determine 'unit' size, minimum time periods, and (lastly) geographic parameters, which includes the hexgrid versus area movement decision.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Traditional Wargames Revived Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI