Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FITE Curt vs larry T261

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE Curt vs larry T261 Page: <<   < prev  24 25 26 27 [28]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T261 - 8/10/2009 6:13:30 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a shot of the southeast corner.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 811
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T261 - 8/10/2009 7:49:03 PM   
Da_Huge_D

Fantastic close-ups! Love those! A real blood massacre..
There gonna be long and rough road till Berlin still for Soviets....
Good raport so far, keep it coming until end! ;)

Post #: 812
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T261 - 8/10/2009 8:24:48 PM   
Dr. Foo

Larry do you not use Tactical Reserve?

I noticed that your front line is fortified and so is you line behind that. Normally I would fortify the front line and place the next line in Tactical Reserve especially HQ’s and Arty.

Do you just prefer having the next line ready and fortified (in this case I can understand why) or do you not fine tac reserve useful?

I am just wondering if you lose any arty support for the defense by not placing them in reserve or does it not matter because they will support if in range regardless. I do like the ability to throw another regiment or two up in the line if necessary to prevent an overrun, but in your case it might be better to have the back line rested and fully fortified ready to wear down the attacker.

Looks like a solid defensive line it won't be easy for the Soviets.

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*

Post #: 813
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T261 - 8/13/2009 11:45:47 AM   
SMK-at-work

Tactical reserve means units can often be "suckered" into moving to the wrong hex by diversionary attacks - especially with this sort of unit density - plus it puts more units under the hammer of the Soviet artillery when they attack - you do not want high density stacks vs that!

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 814
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T261 - 8/13/2009 6:49:15 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo
Larry do you not use Tactical Reserve?

Yes when the arty piece has no more movement points left and I want it to participate in subsequent attacks. Otherwise digging in the arty piece is my M.O.

quote:

I noticed that your front line is fortified and so is you line behind that. Normally I would fortify the front line and place the next line in Tactical Reserve especially HQ’s and Arty.

Do you just prefer having the next line ready and fortified (in this case I can understand why) or do you not fine tac reserve useful?

Yes, I prefer to have the second line fortified and ready just to prevent sweeping Soviet attacks from breaking through my lines.

quote:

I am just wondering if you lose any arty support for the defense by not placing them in reserve or does it not matter because they will support if in range regardless.

My understanding is that if the arty unit is dug in ( D, E, or F ) OR in reserve then it will lend it's strength to any attacks in range.

quote:

Looks like a solid defensive line it won't be easy for the Soviets.

I try to pack as much combat power into the hex without it turning density yellow or red. But at this stage of the game I'm running out of fresh troops. I've swapped out those who are red health or low strength and move fresher ones into the hex but I find I have only three or four fresh units within range to help out in various places in the line. I predict that Curt will achieve a breakthrough before too many more turns elapse.

EDIT: I find that Curt is stacking his hexes density yellow and red quite a bit and I think it's because my hexes are so jam packed with troops that he feels he needs the density yellow and / or red because of the need for attacking strength reguardless of the losses. He can afford the losses much easier than I can at this stage of the game so I suppose it makes sense. It makes for horrible losses however. Some attacks I stage with my motorcycle units will lose a handfull of motorcycles but kill some 30 or 40 squads. Also, I notice that my air losses are tremendous. It's because Curt has all the planes in the world on his side. Thousands of them. I have a couple hundred and decreasing fast.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/13/2009 6:52:37 PM >

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 815
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T263 - 8/13/2009 6:59:57 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a movie showing the differences between the beginning of turn 261 and the beginning of Axis turn 263 showing the hexes gained by Curt during that time. He's slowly moving closer and closer to Berlin. It's wonderful that I've held out this long but I have no illusions that Curt will have possession of Berlin before about 10 more turns has passed. This thing is almost over.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 816
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T261 - 8/14/2009 12:38:26 PM   
Raindem

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

Tactical reserve means units can often be "suckered" into moving to the wrong hex by diversionary attacks - especially with this sort of unit density - plus it puts more units under the hammer of the Soviet artillery when they attack - you do not want high density stacks vs that!

That tends to be my philosophy as well. If I've got lots of troops and I'm able to stack 'em up front that's where I put them. I'll use tactical reserve if I have to cover 2 hexes with 1 unit. And as soon as the opponent realizes it he'll soak off against the other hex.

Larry is correct, I am overstacking for this last push into Berlin. You've seen how far back my army is stretched. It would be even further if I didn't have a lot of it stacked up front. I have overwhelming superiority but I have to apply it for it to count for anything. Otherwise I'm like the Persians banging their head on the Hard Gates.

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 817
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T264 - 8/14/2009 7:42:33 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a movie showing the differences between the beginning of Axis turn 263 and the beginning of Axis turn 264 in which the Soviets grab some more hexes on their push toward Berlin. I think this may be the beginning of at least two breakthroughs since I don't have any more fresh troops to plug the holes adequately.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 818
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T264 - 8/15/2009 12:42:57 PM   
Takeshi

Thanks for playing and posting this AAR from start to finish. Like the grand campaign in WitP-AE, this seems like a journey scenario rather than a destination: unwinnable for the Germans (Japanese) against a competent opponent, but a test of how well you play under those circumstances.

Post #: 819
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T265 - 8/17/2009 7:13:04 PM   
larryfulkerson

I'm down to my last 10K+ HR squads. The Soviet breakthrough won't be long now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Takeshi)
Post #: 820
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T265 - 8/17/2009 8:51:25 PM   
BigDuke66

Stop this defeatist talking!

Post #: 821
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T265 - 8/17/2009 9:17:22 PM   
desert

The Soviets don't have a lot of infantry left either, going by Curt's inventory screenshot. If he had a million infantry a month ago and as of now you have a quarter of a million, then it's probably safe to say that there's only around half a million left. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that the Soviets have 10s of thousands of tanks and airplanes to throw at you instead.

< Message edited by desert -- 8/17/2009 9:22:08 PM >

"I would rather he had given me one more division"
- Rommel, when Hitler made him a Field Marshall

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 822
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T266 - 8/19/2009 2:12:18 PM   
larryfulkerson

Curt has made a breakthrough in the north part of the front lines. I don't have much to oppose it either. Just some tired worn-out units that won't hold the line for long.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to desert)
Post #: 823
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T265 - 8/20/2009 2:32:54 PM   
Raindem

quote:

ORIGINAL: desert

The Soviets don't have a lot of infantry left either, going by Curt's inventory screenshot. If he had a million infantry a month ago and as of now you have a quarter of a million, then it's probably safe to say that there's only around half a million left. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that the Soviets have 10s of thousands of tanks and airplanes to throw at you instead.

That is correct. Most of my infantry divisions are down to half of their normal rifle complement. The average army can spend only 2-3 turns on the line before having to be rotated out, so I'm having to use tank corps in situations where I'd normally let the infantry slug it out.

(in reply to desert)
Post #: 824
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T269 - 8/23/2009 9:27:02 AM   
larryfulkerson

He's finally broken through my lines. He's on the outskirts of Berlin. It's not looking so good from my angle.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 825
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 8/27/2009 1:25:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

Now the fighting is in Berlin itself. Curt is on the verge of capturing the city and I don't seem to be able to stop it.

Curt is in the middle of moving to Sedona, AZ and will be offline for about a week and it just seemed like a good time for me to surrender. The end is inevitable anyway so we emailed each other about it and decided to end the game here. Thanks for keeping up with the AAR and all that.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/27/2009 2:14:41 PM >

Post #: 826
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 8/27/2009 2:57:26 PM   
Martin_Goliath

... and many thanks for the effort you have put into this AAR!

Post #: 827
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 8/27/2009 6:44:43 PM   
BigDuke66

And look who's going mad now!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkUzfAfwP1A&hl=de

(in reply to Martin_Goliath)
Post #: 828
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 8/27/2009 11:23:14 PM   
Deathtreader

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarGol

... and many thanks for the effort you have put into this AAR!

I second that sentiment!! Thanks very much!! Matrix should send you a free copy of the next iteration of the game for all the effort/free advertising.........

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Martin_Goliath)
Post #: 829
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 8/28/2009 12:51:52 AM   
BigDuke66

They should better develope a game for the East Front that is what "War in the Pacific" is for the Pacific War.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 830
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 8/28/2009 1:37:15 AM   
Silvanski

epic AAR Larry
which date is turn 272?

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 831
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 8/28/2009 2:22:20 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski
which date is turn 272?

turn 272 is 26JAN1944

So Curt won fair and square. He's a good player and I learned a lot from him.

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 832
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 8/28/2009 2:30:52 AM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
So Curt won fair and square. He's a good player and I learned a lot from him.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but do you regret the massive pull-back?

edit to add congratulations to Curt, he managed to survive the crisis and strike back

< Message edited by Silvanski -- 8/28/2009 2:32:37 AM >

The TOAW Redux Dude

Post #: 833
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 8/28/2009 2:42:14 AM   
Dr. Foo

Wow it's over this has been such a big part of my daily internet must sees. Good game I hope to see another go all the way...just once I would like to see a German victory parade through Moscow.

Post #: 834
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 8/28/2009 2:46:52 AM   
Dr. Foo

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

They should better develope a game for the East Front that is what "War in the Pacific" is for the Pacific War.

I hope it is not bad form to plug another developer but I have been playing Decision Games' War in Europe it is quite good no AI though you either play hotseat, PBEM, or solitaire.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 835
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 8/28/2009 9:45:48 AM   
Da_Huge_D

quote:

Wow it's over this has been such a big part of my daily internet must sees. Good game I hope to see another go all the way...just once I would like to see a German victory parade through Moscow.

I agree with this Many thanks to you (and ofcourse to Cumb) for this long report.

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 836
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 8/30/2009 9:47:19 PM   
MarcA

Yes, I have really enjoyed your AAR. Well done to both of you.

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 837
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 9/4/2009 3:25:49 PM   
Raindem

Hi, back online from Arizona (Sonoita, not Sedona BTW).  Thanks to Larry for great match.  I never imagined going so long but it was worth it.  Now that we're done maybe I'll finally have time to finish the Campaign for South Vietnam update.

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 838
RE: FITE Curt vs larry T272 - 9/6/2009 4:58:14 AM   
Hyding

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raindem

Hi, back online from Arizona (Sonoita, not Sedona BTW).  Thanks to Larry for great match.  I never imagined going so long but it was worth it.  Now that we're done maybe I'll finally have time to finish the Campaign for South Vietnam update.

Yay!!!

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 839
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 26 27 [28]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE Curt vs larry T261 Page: <<   < prev  24 25 26 27 [28]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI