Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My favorite game!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> My favorite game! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My favorite game! - 11/3/2008 7:54:26 AM   
ilovestrategy

My comp is a gaming rig with plenty of power and memory that can run anything out there.

Today I was at Fry's Electronics looking at the newest games and lo and behold I saw a box named Civilization Chronicles with all 4 Civ games! And for 29.99!

I spent 3 hours tonight playing Civ II, a game that is about 15 years old and will play on any machine with a pulse. And I had a blast!

I love today's games and I love the graphics but today's games are missing something that the games from the 90's had, like Civ II and the old Ultima games.

I'm not sure what they are missing but they are surely missing something.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Post #: 1
RE: My favorite game! - 11/3/2008 9:17:35 AM   
Valkyrie

I love Civ II - I've blown away more hours on that version than any of it's successors. It is fast and clean, without all of the graphics clutter that fill Civ III and Civ IV. I have the Test of Time version with all of those different options.

Signature? Maybe someday over the rainbow.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 2
RE: My favorite game! - 11/3/2008 9:50:44 AM   
Arsan

I loved CIV II but now i like Civ iV more
Recently i bought Civilization Complete for  25 euros. Awesome deal in gaming hours per euro... now, i only need tons of free time to play it in depth. 

(in reply to Valkyrie)
Post #: 3
RE: My favorite game! - 11/3/2008 10:33:35 AM   
Widell

Plus you can find a similar (I know, Colonization was different) game for free at Sourceforge: http://www.freecol.org/

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 4
RE: My favorite game! - 11/3/2008 3:35:39 PM   
Greybriar

Civ2 was a great game. I spent many hours playing it. But I like Colonization better. (And not FreeCol--I tried that and didn't care for it.)

But the game I liked best was Master of Magic. I've tried all the MoM wannabes, but none have the pizzaz of the original game.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Post #: 5
RE: My favorite game! - 11/3/2008 3:41:11 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Loved CivII. Elvis advisors, cool wonders announcements and no more phalanxes shooting down bombers.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 6
RE: My favorite game! - 11/3/2008 7:22:45 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

I spent 3 hours tonight playing Civ II, a game that is about 15 years old and will play on any machine with a pulse.

Hah! There are still operational 386 machines and older (I have trashed old 8088s and 086s in one company, change of 1999-2000). Don't expect it to work on them!

[edit]
Also check for FreeCiv, which has also Civ2 rules
http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 11/3/2008 7:23:23 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Post #: 7
RE: My favorite game! - 11/3/2008 7:54:36 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Was in an EB Games store over the W.E. Just popped in to kill some time, Didn't see a single thing that I would even consider using a gift card on. I've had the gift card for a long time too. There just isn't anything to buy that I might actually spend time on.

Time is the true limiting factor for me.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 8
RE: My favorite game! - 11/3/2008 11:39:12 PM   
mikul82

I must have spent hours of my life with Civ 2 and Colonization, easily my two favorite games of that whole bunch (the classic Colonization, haven't tried the remake, like the old one too much and still have it running so don't really care about it).  I like Civ 4 quite a bit as well, but game turns halfway through start taking forever to load, the game just slows to a crawl and takes away a lot of the fun.  Civ 2 didn't have that problem- I've played that game quite a bit since it came out back in the 90's.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 9
RE: My favorite game! - 11/3/2008 11:48:48 PM   
reg113

I still play Civ2 3-4 hours a week.

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 10
RE: My favorite game! - 11/4/2008 12:08:27 AM   
BoredStiff

Except for the omission of the Wonder Movies, I think Civ 3 was a definite improvement over Civ 2, although, imo, the music in Civ 2 was also better.

One particular annoying aspect from Civ 2 that thankfully was omitted in Civ 3 was the dump trucks that allowed productivity from one city to be used at another, including helping build Wonders, as I remember.

I still play Civ 3 regularly.

I never bought Civ 4, as I didn't like some of the things I read about it and definitely don't care for the religious aspects of it, although I understand they're optional. Still, sometimes I won't buy a game on a matter of principle.

The game that's wasted most of my time for the past 25 years or so is still Empire and Empire Deluxe. ED was my game of choice for several years.

Thinking all the way back to my start with computer games in 1985, these are the titles that come to mind as having been played most by me:

C64 (1985-1988)
Silent Service
Carrier Force
War in the South Pacific

Amiga (1988-1995)
Empire: Wargame of the Century
Gettysburg
Civilization
Second Front (Amiga version of War in Russia)
World Circuit

MS (1995-present)
Empire Deluxe
Flight Commander 2
Empire II: The Art of War
Civilization II
Civilization III
Combat Mission (all three)

Except for the C64 games, I still have all these, although I'm looking to get rid of my 50-or-so Amiga titles.

Of the PC titles, all but Empire II and Civ II are currently on my hard drive. Flight Commander 2 is not only unsurpassed, but still the only computer game of it's kind - and it runs fine under WindowsXP, as does Empire Deluxe.

Empire II: The Art of War was unique in a couple of respects. It had a built-in game feature that allowed players to import custom .wav sound files. This was part of it's powerful scenario editor. Secondly, it is still the only game I know of that allows players to select either IGO-UGO (turn-based) play, or WEGO (simultaneous) play. It was also one of the first games with the ability to record the playing of an entire scenario for later playback.

(Mark Baldwin, co-developer of the Empire series of games, has a nice website. EDIT: Looking at his resume page again, I notice he runs a couple of other sites as well, including one which has many historical pics of Colorado mining trains related to the Trainz game he developed.)

There hasn't really been one single game that's stood out for me in the past few years. I've been playing some HPS titles, some Matrix titles and a couple of others.

< Message edited by BoredStiff -- 11/4/2008 4:06:02 AM >

BoredStiff

[Link and Avatar removed by Moderator]

(in reply to reg113)
Post #: 11
RE: My favorite game! - 11/4/2008 1:31:17 AM   
Gem35

My favorite Civ game is Civ III, I like civ 4 but to me the best version will always be III.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to BoredStiff)
Post #: 12
RE: My favorite game! - 11/4/2008 2:55:43 AM   
BoredStiff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

My favorite Civ game is Civ III, I like civ 4 but to me the best version will always be III.

What difficulty level do you play on? I play on Regent. I know that's a low level for many people, but I can't stand giving the computer loads of production advantages, which I consider cheating. Regent lets me play the game I like to play.

I have several anally retentive habits when playing this game. Probably the worst is that I like to space my cities in a distinctive pattern, usually three diagonal spaces in one direction and one diagonal "dogleg", which results in a one-square overlap with nearby cities. I'll make a slight exception to this rule in certain circumstances, but really try to avoid it.
It really irritates me when another civilization that I'm in the process of conquering has all their cities placed wrong, ie, not conforming to my pattern. I almost always end up razing my opponents cities for this reason alone, but what's worse is when some of those conquered cities contain Wonders - then I'm screwed, because I really don't want to raze those cities and lose the Wonders, so I often end up with a city or two inbetween my pattern of other cities, leaving them small just to keep the Wonders. This whole thing irritates me to no end.

EDIT: Another habit, not a bad one really, is that I've begun to extend all my games from the standard 540 turns (I think that's what it is) to 700. I do this because I've never been able to complete the modern tech tree with the standard number of turns. With 700 turns, I always complete the tech tree and still have many turns to actually utilize all of those advances. Of course, this only works with the Space Race option turned off.

< Message edited by BoredStiff -- 11/4/2008 4:15:10 AM >

BoredStiff

[Link and Avatar removed by Moderator]

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 13
RE: My favorite game! - 11/4/2008 11:36:26 AM   
Hertston

quote:

Novelty and nostalgia. That's it.

Post #: 14
RE: My favorite game! - 11/4/2008 9:04:07 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

Novelty and nostalgia. That's it.

You know, you may have a point there. I never did consider that possibility.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 15
RE: My favorite game! - 11/4/2008 11:34:20 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I'll go with Civ 4
quote:

ORIGINAL: Arsan

I loved CIV II but now i like Civ iV more
Recently i bought Civilization Complete for  25 euros. Awesome deal in gaming hours per euro... now, i only need tons of free time to play it in depth. 

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 16
RE: My favorite game! - 11/4/2008 11:59:24 PM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: BoredStiff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

What difficulty level do you play on? I play on Regent. I know that's a low level for many people, but I can't stand giving the computer loads of production advantages, which I consider cheating. Regent lets me play the game I like to play.

I have several anally retentive habits when playing this game. Probably the worst is that I like to space my cities in a distinctive pattern, usually three diagonal spaces in one direction and one diagonal "dogleg", which results in a one-square overlap with nearby cities. I'll make a slight exception to this rule in certain circumstances, but really try to avoid it.
It really irritates me when another civilization that I'm in the process of conquering has all their cities placed wrong, ie, not conforming to my pattern. I almost always end up razing my opponents cities for this reason alone, but what's worse is when some of those conquered cities contain Wonders - then I'm screwed, because I really don't want to raze those cities and lose the Wonders, so I often end up with a city or two inbetween my pattern of other cities, leaving them small just to keep the Wonders. This whole thing irritates me to no end.

EDIT: Another habit, not a bad one really, is that I've begun to extend all my games from the standard 540 turns (I think that's what it is) to 700. I do this because I've never been able to complete the modern tech tree with the standard number of turns. With 700 turns, I always complete the tech tree and still have many turns to actually utilize all of those advances. Of course, this only works with the Space Race option turned off.

I play on the same difficulty!
I too have a retentive problem with city placement.
Same goes for the wonders!
Strange, are you me and me you?

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to BoredStiff)
Post #: 17
RE: My favorite game! - 11/5/2008 1:48:53 AM   
killroyishere

What I liked about Civ III was that not every country got everything and you had to fight for those resources. Civ IV makes it so everybody who has a decent amount of territory will get everything and that makes it more like a chess game than civilizations vying for the best lands with the best resources. But, on the other hand Civ IV has a much harder AI even on Prince level or the one below it than any of the others. It's very hard to steamroll the AI in Civ IV if you play on a huge map with many civilizations. I can honestly say I've lost some games of Civ IV.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 18
RE: My favorite game! - 11/6/2008 6:44:40 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Ah, yes, MOM...good times, good times...
What I'd like to see is Civ III with the Civ II advisors. ( Sir, your people...They can't help falling in love with you) ( I concur, your Excellency)
quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Civ2 was a great game. I spent many hours playing it. But I like Colonization better. (And not FreeCol--I tried that and didn't care for it.)

But the game I liked best was Master of Magic. I've tried all the MoM wannabes, but none have the pizzaz of the original game.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 19
RE: My favorite game! - 11/6/2008 7:16:31 PM   
Grell

My fave game is Master of Orion.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 20
RE: My favorite game! - 11/6/2008 9:19:55 PM   
terje439

Panzer General is a game I've played too many times. Still a great game imo.
Another fav game must be UV since that game led me to Matrixgames and allowed me to find heaps of other great games.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 21
RE: My favorite game! - 11/6/2008 11:31:34 PM   
Perturabo

Fallout 1.
Heil Fallout!

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> My favorite game! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote