Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Renaming Ships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Renaming Ships Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/28/2009 9:40:58 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norm3

Thanks for all info.

New question- As a modder then all I have to do to get replacements for those DDs that came back as Fletchers is to add II at end, then rename. Or is this just limited to carriers?

Thanks in advance

Any ship whose name ends in " II" (space, capital I, capital I).

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 391
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/28/2009 9:43:41 PM   
NormS3

Absolutely fantastic!

I am definately going out for beer after work now!

Time to celebrate all of team AE's great work!

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 392
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/29/2009 8:50:13 AM   
bradfordkay

This should be only the ships which were renamed during construction in the real war (renamed for a ship that was sunk such as Lexington, Hornet, Yorktown, Canberra, etc).

I don't know if there were any destroyers or other non-capital ships that were named for a ship sunk earlier in the war, nor do I know if you'll be able to rename them in AE. 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 393
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/29/2009 1:50:49 PM   
John Lansford

In some of the current scenarios, ships that were damaged and sent off for repair and show up later in the reinforcement queue arrive in the state they were damaged; for example, the Pearl Harbor BB's such as California and West Virginia still have their prewar AA suites instead of the 20mm and 40mm AA guns when they arrive.  Will ships that were damaged and show up later on have their upgrades when they arrive?

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 394
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/29/2009 4:14:59 PM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

This should be only the ships which were renamed during construction in the real war (renamed for a ship that was sunk such as Lexington, Hornet, Yorktown, Canberra, etc).

I don't know if there were any destroyers or other non-capital ships that were named for a ship sunk earlier in the war, nor do I know if you'll be able to rename them in AE. 

Well, you can still see one at Patriot's Point in Charleston, SC. The USS Laffey, DD724, for one. The first original Laffey in WWII was sunk at 1st Guadalcanal, IIRC. There were others, the Aaron Ward, I believe. Several of the Sumner/Gearing class were named for earlier DDs sunk in action.

< Message edited by RevRick -- 1/29/2009 4:16:04 PM >

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Post #: 395
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/29/2009 4:23:23 PM   
NormS3

Actually several of the DDs lsot during the Guadalcanal campaign came back as Fletchers.

Preston DD379 then DD795
Monssen DD436 then DD798
Jarvis DD393 then DD799
Porter DD356 then DD800
Cushing DD376 then DD797

Also a few APDs as well

Colhoun DD85 then 801
Gregory DD82 then 802
Little DD79 then 803

There are definatelty others that I am not remebering at the moment

Post #: 396
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/29/2009 4:24:08 PM   
NormS3

beat me to it.

thanks Rick

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 397
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/29/2009 7:17:13 PM   
Long Lance

Sorry, I didn't get the point.
If let's say DD ABC is sunk, I might rename DD xyz that is still in the build queue to ABC II.
Then it will arrive as ABC II and a new DD xyz is built?

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 398
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/29/2009 7:22:43 PM   
JuanG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Long Lance

If let's say DD ABC is sunk, I might rename DD xyz that is still in the build queue to ABC II.

As I understood it, some ships in the que will have a name ending in 'II'. These are the only ones you can rename.

So if Lexington is sunk, you can rename Lexington II to just Lexington to loose the numerals - or if it isnt sunk, you can rename Lexington II to something else, Constitution for example, to avoid having two Lexingtons in the theatre.

Does this extend beyond 'II'? To say, 'III', 'IV' and 'V'? Does it also work for the Japanese build que?

(in reply to Long Lance)
Post #: 399
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/29/2009 7:36:59 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: JuanG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Long Lance

As I understood it, some ships in the que will have a name ending in 'II'. These are the only ones you can rename.

So if Lexington is sunk, you can rename Lexington II to just Lexington to loose the numerals - or if it isnt sunk, you can rename Lexington II to something else, Constitution for example, to avoid having two Lexingtons in the theatre.

Does this extend beyond 'II'? To say, 'III', 'IV' and 'V'? Does it also work for the Japanese build que?

Correct. You can only rename ships FROM " II", not to it.

The feature does extend to " III" or " IV" (but no further). There is no nationality limitation, so it could be used for Japan.

< Message edited by Don Bowen -- 1/29/2009 8:12:57 PM >

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 400
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/29/2009 7:43:35 PM   
Long Lance

Ah, thank you 2!

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 401
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/29/2009 8:58:07 PM   
Mike Solli

Since the Japanese only get MSWs respawned, will they be the only ships this applies to?  Or is there yet another feature of AE I'm unaware of.......

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Long Lance)
Post #: 402
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/29/2009 9:59:02 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Since the Japanese only get MSWs respawned, will they be the only ships this applies to?  Or is there yet another feature of AE I'm unaware of.......

I don't believe there will be any Japanese ships with " II" names in the standard scenarios. That would be up to scenario designers.

Rename has nothing to do with respawn. Respawn ships do not have their names changed to " II".

The one and only purpose of this feature is to let the player handle cases where two ships on the board might have the same name (except for II). That is, Yorktown and Yorktown II both in service at the same time.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 403
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/30/2009 3:58:12 AM   
Mike Solli

Ahh, thanks Don.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 404
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/30/2009 4:53:12 AM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I don't believe there will be any Japanese ships with " II" names in the standard scenarios. That would be up to scenario designers.

Rename has nothing to do with respawn. Respawn ships do not have their names changed to " II".

The one and only purpose of this feature is to let the player handle cases where two ships on the board might have the same name (except for II). That is, Yorktown and Yorktown II both in service at the same time.

Darn, I though I would be able to end up with Nomad 1, Nomad 2, Nomad 3 , . . . Nomad 99999

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 405
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/30/2009 6:16:01 AM   
bradfordkay

You, sir, are evil! 

I think I would be trying to climb through the wires to throttle you if in a PBEM i received the report "PBY Catalina has spotted Nomad 4413"... 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 406
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/30/2009 4:21:48 PM   
W T Door

I imagine this has been touched on before, but the search function and I are not meshing well: for vessels that are normally lost early on, such as Arizona, are there a suite of upgrades to accomodate their survival?

On another front, in a current stock game, the battleship that starts in Seattle (don't remember the name just now) is slated for a radar set. No matter how long she sits in the yards, the radar never seems to show up (due to the learning curve on the game, I've replayed the first year of campaign several times) despite the resource pull showing them as available and in the pool. While I'm not sure just how effective radar is in the game, it would be nice to have the thing, just on general principles. Is this just an isolated problem of my own, or a known problem that has been addressed in AE?

Finally, has the AI's kleptomania been dealt with? I have yet to have a submarine reach full repair before the AI has hijacked the thing and sent it into the heart of the enemy's ASW effort. Same deal with supply ships, there is nothing quite like planning the logisitcs for an operation to discover that the AI has decided that the ships, and their supplies, are desperatly needed in some backwater base that it reaches by routing them through the heaviest possible concentration of hostile assets. Perhaps base supply priorities and waypoints will ameliorate this one? One thing I would have like to have seen would be the ability to establish (and disestablish) selective exclusion zones per Harpoon II.

Post #: 407
Question on devices - 1/30/2009 4:54:39 PM   
PeteG662

AE Team:

On one of the screen shots posted back in May, AEss-439, USS Nevada has the 5in/25 Mk 10 and .5 Cal with an asterisk in the range. What is the significance of this asterisk? Does it denote flat range or slant angle range for antiaircraft fire?

Thanks,
Pete

(in reply to W T Door)
Post #: 408
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/30/2009 5:22:16 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

You, sir, are evil! 

I think I would be trying to climb through the wires to throttle you if in a PBEM i received the report "PBY Catalina has spotted Nomad 4413"... 

I think by far worse would be to see the Essex in 3 or 4 different places in the same turn. ie naming them all the same.

Post #: 409
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/30/2009 5:47:02 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

quote:

You, sir, are evil! 

I think by far worse would be to see the Essex in 3 or 4 different places in the same turn. ie naming them all the same.

That is what I was getting at... by giving all ships the same name, you totally confuse your opponent with ship sightings...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 410
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/30/2009 5:47:48 PM   
Iridium

Better yet, start naming all your DDs after CVs and do the reverse for your CVs...

Yamato, IMO the best looking Battleship.

"Hey, a packet of googly eyes! I'm so taking these." Hank Venture

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 411
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/30/2009 6:01:14 PM   
JWE

Yeah, That’s the ticket!

Actually this was done to get around all the whiney respawn problems. Ships will slide off the ways when they did. If they were named after a ship that was sunk irl, but not in game, a player has the opportunity to rename them to something else.

You may only rename an appropriate ship in the reinforcement queue. Once she shows up, that’s who she is, for now and ever, Amen.

I think the OOB'ings were pretty good about identifying the duplicates.

(in reply to Iridium)
Post #: 412
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/30/2009 6:29:27 PM   
witpqs

Are OOB'ings like alien beings?

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 413
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/30/2009 6:46:30 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Don't know, but 1 of them is from Roswell, NM, 1 of them says he's from Mars, 1 is from the People's Republic of California, and the rest are from Texas.

Your call, dude.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 414
RE: Renaming Ships - 1/30/2009 7:02:28 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Don't know, but 1 of them is from Roswell, NM, 1 of them says he's from Mars, 1 is from the People's Republic of California, and the rest are from Texas.

Your call, dude.

Yep, they're aliens.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 415
Criticall hits - 1/31/2009 3:23:52 PM   
CV Zuikaku

Hi, can we get a list of new criticall hits? Do we now have a gun director hits which makes ship's fire more innaccurate?

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 416
RE: Criticall hits - 2/3/2009 4:50:56 PM   
CV Zuikaku

And another question: since we can now hunt down enemy subs with our own ones- do we have specialized "sub asw" TFs now? how are we going to make our subs to hunt down enemy's ones?

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 417
RE: Criticall hits - 2/3/2009 5:50:05 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV Zuikaku

And another question: since we can now hunt down enemy subs with our own ones- do we have specialized "sub asw" TFs now? how are we going to make our subs to hunt down enemy's ones?

Happens automatically, but rarely. Just put them on normal "Sub Patrol" missions.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 418
RE: Criticall hits - 2/3/2009 5:50:36 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV Zuikaku

Hi, can we get a list of new criticall hits? Do we now have a gun director hits which makes ship's fire more innaccurate?

No.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 419
RE: Criticall hits - 2/3/2009 6:32:08 PM   
CV Zuikaku

Thanks for the answer, Terminus! I thought about using I-boats to compensate Japanese lack of dedicated ASW boats

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Renaming Ships Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI