Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 4/25/2002 4:22:03 AM   
Bernie

While telling a friend of mine about this thread last night he picked a movie I hadn't thought of, and which no one yet has mentioned: "Tora! Tora! Tora!"

What, me worry?

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 61
- 4/25/2002 8:22:09 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Red Dawn what an abyssmal film as far as warmovie status goes.

Did like the part where the cuban shoots up front of pick up truck. Looked like he might even have been firing a real rifle and not a hollywood actor friendly rebored weapon with no kick.

Oh I miss my FN rifle some days.

M16 bounces off sandbag kill innocent blades of grass
AK 47 Tears **** out of sandbag, pisses off grunt that knows he will have to repair wall later.
FNC1A1 Canadian army vintage 1979 detroys sandbag entirely kils guy behind sandbag wounds too.

Sure the FN was heavy and only semi automatic. But in Canada we were taught at that time, aim the ****ing weapon and kill the **** enemy. Screw this wounding ****. And shoot the two guys next to him dead while you are at it. Let OUR graves registration people deal with THEIR dead.

Oh well that was along time ago too. Now we have a **** 5.56 M16 wanna be weapon. Which really doesn't matter. The Americans are basically doing a fine job wasting the world's bad guysby themselves.
I say we trade in our military for a more well equipped Mountie force to watch out for people sneaking into Canada.

I miss my rifle.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 62
- 4/25/2002 12:09:45 PM   
troopie

Recently, at a country shoot, I fired a friend's R-4. It handled better than the old R-1 (FN-FAL to everyone else in the world), was better designed and controllable on automatic. But I asked him, "Piet, what did you do when you had to bash a door in?"

troopie

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 63
- 4/25/2002 12:17:19 PM   
JVRyk5

Das Boot. Also winning for BEST music category.

Of the point. Has anybody seen this fairly new russian film, Mountains. (At least presented in finland with that name.) It's about small team in lonly outpost in Chechnya. Recomended.

Post #: 64
- 4/25/2002 12:38:22 PM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rbrunsman
[B]Has no one seen "They were expendable?" I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned. I think it was about the Battle of the Bulge. One squad was left to keep back a whole company(?) of Germans. I thought it was very good for a B/W movie. Bob Newhart was in it to offer his unique brand of humor in an otherwise very tense situation. (Then again, I could be misremembering the name of the movie, it's been a while since I saw it.)

[Edit]
Sorry, it was called "Hell is for Heros" (1962). Like I said, it has been awhile since I saw it. [/B][/QUOTE]

****! I forgot about that one. The best scene is where the squad is pinned down beside a road and Newhart (thinking he's in a rear area) drives past in a jeep, looks over and says "hi fellas", and a split second later the jeep gets hit, tossing him out. First time I saw that scene I busted a gut laughing. :D

Jim NSB

Post #: 65
- 4/25/2002 12:43:55 PM   
tracer

Almost forgot....my favorite: When Trumpets Fade. I had scenes from that movie stuck in my head for days.

Jim NSB

Post #: 66
We Were Soldiers - 4/25/2002 11:50:02 PM   
TheZel66

...was a very good movie that deserves to be mentioned. Haven't seen Cross of Iron.

Post #: 67
- 4/26/2002 12:05:06 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

It wasn't a lot of war movie but it was a **** good example of why to fight and why not to fight.

Sargeant York.

**** fine film. The fact it was based on a real person was nice too. Also seen Audie Murphy's film To Hell and Back (why can't my guys do that stuff in the game eh).

And my personal fav for Canadian vs US chuckles all in good fun is Devil's Brigade. Although the US losers half went on to be half of the war's best fighting unit (and I don't care a wit who thinks their unit was better), and every bit as good as the cream of Canadian units half.

Post #: 68
- 4/26/2002 1:17:24 AM   
screamer

i dont really have ONE favorite but ill pick Das Boot closely followed by Full methal jacket, A bridge to far,patton and gallipollito mention a ww1 movie

from books that ive read its das boot and im westen nicht neus [dunno if i write it okay]

worst movie: Battle of the bulge is the first that i can think of

poep

Post #: 69
DeLaurentis/Rod Steiger Waterloo 1972 - 4/26/2002 4:30:18 AM   
GROND

Came out in 72 (a very bad year for an epic war movie to be released). It was based on and accurate to the book "vingettes of waterloo". 2 Romanian army divisions were used as extras and there are scenes that I don't think will ever be matched or duplicated again.

The charge of the Union Brigade (british heavy cav) 3 regiments of cavalry overran a grand battery of Napoleon's artillery in an amazing feat. Unfortunately they kept charging all the way to the end of a 2 1/2 mile slope giving Napoleon time to personally situate the 5 lancer regiments that he used to crush them (40-65% casualities in the 3 regiments). The charge is done by alternating slow motion with real time and looks like a moving oil painting.

Marshall Ney's unsupported cavalry charge in mid afternoon. 5,000 (I kid you not) cavalry crest a hill and you see them start to swirl and break around a british square. The camera is on a helicopter which flies back and up exposing 2 more squares, the camera pans again revealing 3 more squares and the last pan has 13 british regiments in square surrounded by cavalry (note that there are no cuts it's all one shot). If that's not the best scene of armies in conflict please, please show me whats better :)

Hetzer

Post #: 70
- 4/26/2002 7:18:09 AM   
ZeroAntipop

Oh, another one. 1933(?) version of All Quiet On The Western Front.

Post #: 71
- 4/26/2002 7:30:15 AM   
Figmo

Don't know if it's been mentioned but "Platoon Leader" - shows the futility of the Vietnam war when they fight to for the villiage and in the end the Vietcong just go around them and wipe out the Village. Great line from the movie - new LT "How is out there?" - salty GI "It''s great - they kill some of ours - we kill some of their's - next day same thing - It's Great".

Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

Post #: 72
- 4/26/2002 8:18:28 AM   
m10bob

Right...So many great films to consider....Gettysburg..........A portrayal of the tragedy of a nation killing itself..An entire country believing each is doing it's patriotic duty,and believing GOD is on his side.Regardless of the outcome,all the victims were of the same people.Nothing was glorified in the film...Just the tragedy of the moment...God save us from fools......

Post #: 73
- 4/26/2002 8:30:30 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Never forget the night me and a friend were watching Patton on tv at his place.

Naturally I had seen it before. I was uttering the words a fraction of a second in advance. Actually sounded like an echo heheh.

His mother looks at me and comically says "you have seen this before haven't you" heheh.

Seen so many war movies with yet another batch of tired old M-46 Pershings or tired M-48's or tired M-60's. And the ever popular M-24 Chaffees cause the Americans have to be seen to have tanks that look smaller than German ones. Amazing what a coat of paint will supposedly due for accuracy heheh.

But I can forgive a film for not having money for then unavailable tanks in large numbers. But bad plots are never excusable.

Post #: 74
- 4/26/2002 8:31:25 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Oh wasn't say Patton had a bad plot by the way.

Post #: 75
- 4/26/2002 9:06:11 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

"The Battle of Britain' if only for the fact that they rounded up so many actual WW II vintage aircraft. (Most, if not all, the German aircraft in the pic were rented from the Spanish airforce. The JU52 at the beginning of the film was originally Franco's staff plane.)

Eric Maietta

Post #: 76
- 4/26/2002 10:46:45 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AbsntMndedProf
[B]"The Battle of Britain' if only for the fact that they rounded up so many actual WW II vintage aircraft. (Most, if not all, the German aircraft in the pic were rented from the Spanish airforce. The JU52 at the beginning of the film was originally Franco's staff plane.)

Eric Maietta [/B][/QUOTE]

I'll second you on that for "best air-related war film" for allt he same reasons. It's just great to see all those planes. And the Polish squadrons are funny :D

Btw, for those of you who didn't know, it's easy to tell a "real" ME109 from a Spanish one - just look at the engine exhausts. A "real" 109 has its engine mounted upside down, so the exhausts are placed low on the nose canopy sides, just above and in front of the wings. A Spanish one has it's exhausts on the top, Spitfire-style.

Got StuG?

Post #: 77
- 4/27/2002 3:04:56 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

My vote goes to 'Das Boot'; the gritty, unromantacized presentation of life aboard Germany's U-boats.

Eric Maietta

Post #: 78
- 4/27/2002 3:06:53 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

Oops! Wrong thread. Sorry about voting again. :rolleyes:

Eric M

Post #: 79
- 4/27/2002 3:43:02 AM   
Seth

I guess I'd say Das Boot. When I was little (late 70's-early '80's), I used to love 'Bridge at Remaghen (sp?)', and 'Sink the Bismarck'. I love the scene right after the Hood's demise when the officer turns to the admiral or whatever and says "The Hood's not there." How dashed unsporting of the hun, eh what? ;) I also like the Zulu movies because I always root against the British, unless they're in one of the Korean War movies, because killing communists is much better than opressing the poorly equipped natives. I actually like the Korean War movies. The poor guys went over there, fought for three years, and no-one remembers. Police action, my ***. I can only remember one title (Bridges at Toko-Ri), but that one I've only seen 5 minutes of (the part where the Duke and his buddy get it). The best part, aside from seeing a forgotten war, is that all those M-46's look much more convincing.

Red Dawn would have to be one of the worst war movies ever, but I also really hated that weird one from the early 70's(?), where the Americans are in a castle, and the Germans try to attack it disguised as the fire depatment, and the insane deserters are walking around with a tambourine singing spirituals, but they get hit by arty, and....what the hell were they thinking!? God, that was a bad movie. Also nominated: 'Escuadron 451'. Mexican movie from the 50's about the fighter pilots who served in the Pacific. While they were able to dig up some reasonable facsimilies of the Mexican P-47's, the use of stock European footage for the Japanese targets (German SPG's in snow) and strafing runs (B-17's giving some poor city hell while an FW-190 cuts across the shot) had me laughing out loud. Then again, I watch Telemundo, etc. a lot, and I have never seen any good Mexican movies.

I'd really love to see some of the minor nation's films. I have seen 'La Bataille des Rails' from France, but nothing else about any war. If only our crappy TV networks would show movies like they used to.
Seth

Post #: 80
- 4/28/2002 10:30:52 PM   
kevsharr

I'd have to say Das Boot also,the end had my wife and a few other woman in the audience crying-for the enemy interesting.The beginning at the raucous party was hilarious,I'm refering to the director's cut I saw thing's that were'nt in the origanal theatrical version ,like the sailor's lined up on the side of the road urinating on the passing car's who said the german's were strict diciplinarion's anyway.....To you a hero is somekind of weird sandwich...Oddball

Post #: 81
- 5/1/2002 12:36:08 PM   
Preuss

I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Blue Max...the only WWI air war flick I've seen worth watching.... Hard to imagine George Peppard as a German, though
But as for my favorite...I have to say Cross of Iron... THe realism is good...the combat better...and something you won't see where American soldiers are the main characters...most of the main characters die...that's realism.

Worst movie....the new U-571....not historically accurate..not visually entertaining...and that Keith fella...he should stick to teen B movies...

And if you're really into torture...see the new Pearl Harbor...it'll make you beg for Tora, Tora, Tora....special effects just can't do a dogfight right, yet.

Happy Trails,

Gary

Post #: 82
- 6/17/2002 10:34:39 AM   
Hades

Its been along time since anyone has postd on this but oh well. The best movie ive seen would have to be a recent indie film from bosnia about the bosnia/serbia war during the 90s. Really good but i cant remember the d*mn name. great movie.

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

Post #: 83
- 6/17/2002 2:52:31 PM   
screamer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hades
[B]Its been along time since anyone has postd on this but oh well. The best movie ive seen would have to be a recent indie film from bosnia about the bosnia/serbia war during the 90s. Really good but i cant remember the d*mn name. great movie. [/B][/QUOTE]

No mans land

ive seen it too, good movie

poep

Post #: 84
- 6/17/2002 5:56:14 PM   
Hades

yeah thats it. I love that movie.

-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

Post #: 85
- 6/17/2002 6:56:13 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm glad to see my thread yet still has some life in it hehe.

Post #: 86
- 6/18/2002 2:41:56 AM   
Belisarius

Yes, No man's land is truly one of the highlights of the recent years. :D

....BUT....I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "war" movie. It's more of a sarcastic, black, comedy reflecting the futility of that conflict. The war is more of a setting, a backdrop to the story.

Got StuG?

Post #: 87
- 6/18/2002 5:47:21 AM   
Hades

Well someone posted Good Morning Vietnam and the war was only a backdrop there too.

-Edmund Morris

Post #: 88
- 6/19/2002 1:09:41 AM   
Belisarius

True, not GMV is not really a war movie either...

Got StuG?

Post #: 89
- 6/19/2002 7:52:12 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Ok my thread and my comment to boot heheh guess I better defend Good Morning Vietnam.

If it wasn't a war movie what was it?

Sure wasn't a chick flick.
Bears nothing in common with a scifi.
It isnt a thriller or mystery.
Certainly isn't an action film.
I can't say it was a comedy because, well the reason it got to me, was how it made the war so clearly about man's inhumanity to himself.

War movies generally don't make me cry. The carnage of Saving Private Ryan' s beach assault horrified me of course, but it didn't touch me emotionally enough to make me cry.
I cry on Rememberance Day, but the losses of all those young lads that will remain young usually does.

Adrian wasn't in Vietnam sight seeing remember. And he sure wasn't there just to do a dj job. Her might not have commanded any tanks in battle, but the tankers sure loved him.
Often the best people to look to for the truth are comediens.

Has anyone ever read Bill Maudlins book Up Front? It's hilarious. But it's only funny because I can identify with the material. I have almost ghurt myself laughing at his jokes, jokes that a civilian wouldn't even understand as jokes in the first place.

I stand by Good Morning Vietnam as being a powerful war movie.

Sure was a great deal more movie than that piece of garbage Pearl (inspite of all the expensive special effects).

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI