Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Schlieffen Plan

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> After Action Reports >> RE: Schlieffen Plan Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 12:42:36 AM   
06 Maestro

The summer battles in the west were a mix of give and take-except in the major battles. The French had lost a couple of big ones which cost them dearly. The Battle of Paris took two turn (July-August) for the Germans to wrap up. At the end of August the French lines were just opened up to the east of Paris. The only thing stopping the German Army from flooding into central France is the supply situation. The Railheads will be beyond Paris and Dijon by October, at which time one more big push will be launched.

French, as well as Russian and Serbian NW is in single digits. Belgium has not surrendered yet (due to the BEF keeping a toe hold in Belgium), but their are protest/riots in Belgium. I suspect they will not last much longer.

This map shot is the situation in Northern France at the start of September. Langres has finally fallen, thus opening up another route into southern France-as soon as the supply catches up.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 91
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 12:47:23 AM   
06 Maestro

France is showing some signs of collapsing in September of 1915.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 92
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 12:48:15 AM   
06 Maestro

Serbia is going the same route.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 93
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 12:48:24 AM   
histgamer

Jeez you have 15 event cards!!! 

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 94
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 12:52:44 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Jeez you have 15 event cards!!! 

Yep-every time I restart, they all seem to come back again. I think they are going to do something about this in the next patch. In the meantime, I have to resist the temptation to reuse the "breakthrough" cards over again.

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 95
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 1:01:54 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ingtar

Is it just me, or does the out of supply icon look like a "no beer" icon?

Didn't they have a beer ration in those days?

(in reply to Ingtar)
Post #: 96
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 1:08:20 AM   
06 Maestro

The Russians are maintaining a front line for the time being. They have been slowly pushed back and have just lost Warsaw. Their NW is not quite as low as France at this point, but as soon as I can transfer units east, they will be done for. German and A/H NW is standing at the mid to upper 30's which near max. This allows for some advantages to be brought to bare.

There is a lack of replacements for the CP at this time, so I cannot really take advantage of the current superiority. As much RP as possible needs to be used in the west until the French crack.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 97
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 1:15:28 AM   
06 Maestro

The O.E. seemed to be in a good situation for their required Grand Offense-one could hope. The result was a reliefe. The NW must have a significant impact on the combat. The Russians have better units and were defending in the mountains. I did not know what they had to defend Kars with, but I was aware that units were being moved to the Polish, Galician areas. I figured on a good numerical superiority-at least.

This success on the Tukish/Russian frontier leads me to believe that this war is about done.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 98
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 1:21:45 AM   
06 Maestro

The British moved into Turkish territory early in the war capturing El Arish in a small, but one sided battle. It took a while to get enough O.E. units into Gaza, but eventually there was enough for the counterattack. The British were driven out.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 99
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 3:47:23 AM   
histgamer

Germans thought the war was over in September 1914 but they were just off by a little bit... still looks like you will be victorious, interesting read, helping me with my game a lot thanks. Once my demo runs out I will probably buy this... who knows maybe it will be stable enough for a online game vs you... :)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 100
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 4:11:33 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

Germans thought the war was over in September 1914 but they were just off by a little bit... still looks like you will be victorious, interesting read, helping me with my game a lot thanks. Once my demo runs out I will probably buy this... who knows maybe it will be stable enough for a online game vs you... :)

It seems stable enough now although I still have some problems with this AAR game. I started another one to test it out with the new (last 2) patches and it clearly runs better than my patched game.

About a mutiplayer game; I would love to, but they still have some issues in that area. In fact, the WEGO system is one of the primary reasons I bought this game-IMO, the best way to go for MP games. It may turn out that it will only be playable in a strictly turn based for MP-I'm not happy about that. It seems that is what the veteran board game players wanted though. It still may turn out all for the best-time will tell.

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 101
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 10:04:32 AM   
histgamer

I figured I would issue order I would send it to you you would issue order and then the orders would be resolved in some sortta replay like WITP does it... would this be how they do it? Or no?

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 102
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/29/2008 2:10:47 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

I figured I would issue order I would send it to you you would issue order and then the orders would be resolved in some sortta replay like WITP does it... would this be how they do it? Or no?

It will be something like that. The big question is how long will a turn based game take to play? That will entail army by army activation. How this will end up (WEGO or not) is not quite clear to me yet.

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 103
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 12/30/2008 8:39:29 AM   
histgamer

If they could do orders and politics all in one movement that would make the game pretty quick... at least compared to WITP. 

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 104
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/1/2009 12:30:36 AM   
06 Maestro

Here are some National Will standings from the past few turns. The Triple Entente has suffered some major setbacks resulting in the lower NW which has brought on strikes and other problems. During combat there is a varying moral penalty due to the low NW.

I have not noticed any civilian mischief in Great Britain yet. I have sent the Battle Cruiser squadron to shell south eastern England a couple of times to try to drag down their NW. I am not sure if it has actually done any good yet so I'll keep trying. The risk of a naval defeat is a big one, but Germany can afford to take a couple of bad hits at this point.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 105
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/6/2009 3:58:30 AM   
histgamer

What happened to your game?

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 106
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/6/2009 5:41:40 PM   
Eastern

Hi there fellow wargamer, I tried the demo of this game (with your excellent example in my head) but keep having troubles with flying battles, they always hang up !! Is this also the case in the real game or just a minor demo problem ??

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 107
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/6/2009 6:57:47 PM   
habakuk

This is a problem with the current version, which is also the version of the demo. It will be fixed for the full version with the next patch (which is soon to be released), I think.

At the moment you need to leave the planes without missions to avoid problems.

(in reply to Eastern)
Post #: 108
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/7/2009 4:44:42 AM   
06 Maestro

I had used air recon on a regular basis w/o problems. I did read about bugs with air combat, so I've avoided any combat missions-so no problem there (but it is getting to a stage in my game where air power should be a factor).

There have been several irritating bugs that have been repaired since I started this game. The patches do not seem to have a complete effect on this saved game-such as the A/H mutinies' which takes far more manpower than it should.

Due to the problems with this current game, I will end it in May of 1916. I have already played to that point, and have many screen shots. I will post those in a few days with some kind of summary. I have toyed around with other scenarios with the up to date patch. The improvements are significant. After the events situation is addressed by Calvinus, along with the air mission bug, I will start another campaign. I am thinking about possible benefits to a "Russia first" campaign.

(in reply to habakuk)
Post #: 109
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/7/2009 2:09:07 PM   
Eastern

Thanks for the information , Maestro and Habakuk, I played very well, one A/H mutiny so far and I am in nov 15 now , tried to play air tactical support twice , and both times it went wrong, so now only recon, that's no problem, like you mentioned. I like the game but there are indead some bugs , so saved every round after battle instructions. I hope to play the game in the near future without bugs, and perhaps the designers could make for the second version a more complex wargame (heart of irons copy), that would be the wet dream of the strategy fan

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 110
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/9/2009 2:40:03 PM   
Eastern

For information, with the air-recon you got the same problem whenever you got intercepted or you intercept the enemy, in short : air battles impossible, speaken for the demo. Is there for the original game allready a patch that fixes these bug(s) ?? I am now march 1916, going straight for Paris now and East-flank of France doesn't exist anymore, allready in possession of Dyjon. What I don't understand : I have completely conquered
Serbia and Belgium even the last regions , but no surrendering ?? And they have not a single corps anymore. What about this ? Maestro have you info about this ??

(in reply to Eastern)
Post #: 111
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/9/2009 3:32:27 PM   
06 Maestro

Eastern

I found out recently about what is called the "surrender bug". It effects small countries and prevents them from surrendering, I do not have the details of this bug except that it is due to be fixed in the next patch.

Until a couple of weeks ago I was wondering what was taking Serbia so long to surrender-this bug explains it. If the patch will not update saved games, you will be fighting Serbia for a long time.

About the air combat bug; I never actually encountered it-lucky I guess. Until I found out about the bug I used all air recon as much as I could. After learning of this problem I reduced the use of it-but not entirely. I suspect that the French AF has not had the resources to build up in my game.

(in reply to Eastern)
Post #: 112
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/10/2009 1:11:54 PM   
Eastern

Thanks for sharing the information Maestro !! For the surrender-bug : I am in june 1916 now and allmost conquered France , but Russia is far from destroyed, at the moment I conquered Brest-Litovsk suddenly Russia surrendered !! but not Serbia !! or Belgium !!
So there must be a bug indead. It 's a great game this one but wasn't yet ready to release. Do we have info about the time of release the next patch and which bugs to be fixed ?

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 113
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/10/2009 3:13:18 PM   
vonRocko

Hi guys,
Belgium and Serbia are never conquered technically, they will never surrender. You can occupy the whole country but their armies will fight on if possible. In the case of Belgium,their armies are usually added to French or Bef. In the case of Serbia, all their units must be destroyed, of course occupying the whole country usually does this because the Serbs have nowhere to go.

I believe this is in one of the partial rules section on ageods site. Also Phil and calvinus mentioned this in some forum posts. I hope this helps!

(in reply to Eastern)
Post #: 114
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/11/2009 2:59:24 AM   
06 Maestro

October '15

Serbia is now almost totally occupied, but they still have a few corps left. Most of their forces are in N.E. Serbia-perhaps the AI is attempting to link those units with the Rumanians which have sent forces to that frontier. The Serbs have at least one corp left in the Albanian area-it is moving into A/H territory-it will not last long.

The Greeks interred into the war on the side of the CP. I think this was due to an event played by the T.E. attempting a military coup in Greece which apparently did not go well.

Due to supply difficulties, the CP cannot just rush into the remaining territories-it will take some time, but the Serbs are no longer a threat. It is still a sore spot as long as it ties up A/H forces. It may take until the summer of '16 before the A/H Army can be redeployed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 115
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/11/2009 3:09:32 AM   
06 Maestro

Russian front October '15

The Russians attacks were finally stopped. The situation map is not all telling. I know that there are Russian Armies/corps which are out of site, but near the front. I may be putting the CP forces into a defense mode for the winter. The gap in E. Prussia will be filled by units of the 12th Army in Konigsburg. This will weaken that city, but there is a large fortress there so it should be safe. The Russian AI did finally attack Konigsburg, but it held out-quite easily.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 1/13/2009 4:32:48 AM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 116
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/11/2009 3:27:39 AM   
06 Maestro

Western Front October '15

France appears to be near the end-but looks are deceiving. Verdun has manged to hold out against a couple of light attacks by the 5th Army. This will take a while to work out. I will need to get some reinforcements to the 5th before trying again. The north eastern sector does have some holes in it, but I cannot rush units into the gaps without running into supply problems-not to mention the possibility of counter attack.

I am assuming that Germany now has a major advantage in being able to raise new units and ammo. With this in mind, I will simply tidy up the front by taking Verdun, Mulhouse and Epinal before next may. At that time an offensive will be launched that will take the Germans to the Mediterranean coast. I would assume that whatever T.E. units that are left in Flanders will be so weak in moral that the German Army ill be able to take them easily.

You can see some figures of civilians in Paris and Brussels. This is a good indication of stability problems in the T.E.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 1/11/2009 3:30:49 AM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 117
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/11/2009 4:00:22 AM   
06 Maestro

Battle of Verdun May 1916

Verdun has finally fallen. This Province was surrounded for a long time, but never actually entered the "siege" stage until may of '16-after the non garrison units were destroyed. This belated victory has released the 5th Army for operations elsewhere. It will move by train and foot to its new position between the 4th Army (in Paris) and the 13th Army. This will be followed by a broad front attack into the south of France.

Note: During this period of time various French HQ's and perhaps some infantry units appeared in the province. This anomaly has been corrected in a patch, but it did not take hold in this saved game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 118
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/11/2009 4:12:03 AM   
06 Maestro

West Front May 1916

The German Supply situation is somewhat stabilized. The 5th and 7th Armies have finished their siege operations at Mulhouse and Verdun. The French effort to relieve Verdun was finally stopped and destroyed. The result is what looks like an overwhelming operational and strategic superiority over France.

The T.E. AI looks like it is massing for an attack on Paris. I am confident that German Reserves (which can now reach anyplace on the Western Front with ease) will be enough to hold Paris against this attack. The results of such a major battle like that will only speed the deterioration of France's position.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 119
RE: Schlieffen Plan - 1/11/2009 5:12:55 AM   
06 Maestro

I began this campaign in full knowledge that there would still be some bugs to work out in this game. I had hoped that fixes could all be applied as I proceeded, but that was not to be. The current state of the game is much better than in this current campaign so I’m ending this one in May ’16.

The AI was, as expected, not quite up to human skill levels, but still gave a good fight. It did throw away units in several battles and operations. In particular, the French in Belgium early in the game, and the Russians in a large scale attempted invasion of West Prussia (that cost the Russians 2 Armies). It did counter attack enough to make me somewhat leery of overextending CP forces. It did in fact make several moves and attacks on all fronts which forced me to withdraw. The current front in Poland is less favorable to the CP than the October screen shot due to a major attack by the Russians to retake Warsaw. I very nearly lost the German 10th Army and was forced into some attacks which I did not want to make.

In my next game I will make the AI more aggressive and will try the “give full time” to the AI. This should make it more challenging.

Overall, the game models several aspects of the Great War to my liking. The R&D, unit builds, supply and economy seem to be reasonable for such a game. I barely had begun to explore the various attributes to the commanding generals. The skill differences are of great importance. Few, if any, are good at all types of assignments. The diplomacy features are interesting, but I found that after the first 4 turns of the game, I could not affect anything with diplomats. The next time around, I will have a complete manual. The naval aspects of the game were not really tested in my game. This was by choice-I used events to make contact less likely so I could get away with a few bombardment missions against Great Britain.

I did learn a few lessons about long term planning for this war. The next time around I would build more artillery early in the game-both siege and field artillery. In this game I ended up with huge surpluses of ammo that could not possible be used with the units I had in the field. Another error on my part was focusing on building high quality infantry for the first year. I could easily have had many more infantry corps on the West Front in the summer of ’15 if I had chosen to build low quality units. This would have made RR repair much easier to effect and would have released elite units for the front. There were several turns in which I could not advance due to supply issues and even had to withdraw to avoid the possibility of a unit being withdrawn. With another 6 corps, I could have exploited some additional opportunities. A good balance of quality and quantity comes with practice.

Regarding CTD; I had one in Feb 1915, several in June/July 1915 after installing a patch-I thought I was going to have to quit, but then it all came together. There was one more during the next 6 turns someplace-but I had long since learned to save every turn. With the exception of the occasional CTD the game ran smooth. It would use 1 to 1.5 gig of RAM (in addition to my ½ gig of normal system use). One problem which did not entirely go away was the cursor occasionally getting stuck on a province for a second-rather irritating, but rare.

Bottom line is that I like this game and will certainly play it many more times in the future. Mutiplayer games should really be challenging.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> After Action Reports >> RE: Schlieffen Plan Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI