Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WITP Install on a USB Key

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> WITP Install on a USB Key Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WITP Install on a USB Key - 12/13/2008 4:38:55 PM   
Sendai

Hi

Wondered if anyone had installed WITP on a usb drive for portability. I'd like to be able to do so as I can't install it on my employers PC but would like to be able to play during lunchtimes.

I have tried to install on a usb key but when I try to run it on my PC at work I get a Windows Fatal Error 200. I think this has something to do with registry settings but don't know how to correct - even if that is possible.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

Sendai
Post #: 1
RE: WITP Install on a USB Key - 12/13/2008 5:14:19 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sendai

Hi

Wondered if anyone had installed WITP on a usb drive for portability. I'd like to be able to do so as I can't install it on my employers PC but would like to be able to play during lunchtimes.

I have tried to install on a usb key but when I try to run it on my PC at work I get a Windows Fatal Error 200. I think this has something to do with registry settings but don't know how to correct - even if that is possible.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

Sendai

You can install it using a program called MojoPac 2.0 - free download at www.mojopac.com

This basically converts the USB flashdrive (or any other portable device) into a C: drive - and you can toggle back and forth between the USB and the real C: drive if needed.

Be aware that it takes several HOURS to install everything (or it did for me i kept thinking things had locked up, but they eventually worked) - best to run the optimization program before installation... it is supposed to speed things up.

Once installed, you can carry around WITP (and other programs) in your USB (i carry mine in a superthin USB drive in my wallet)... it takes several minutes to "boot" to the Mojopac and the load WITP, but then the game seems to run at regular speed.

(in reply to Sendai)
Post #: 2
RE: WITP Install on a USB Key - 12/14/2008 2:43:43 AM   
wdolson

The issue is that WitP requires a couple of settings in the Windows registry to work.  It is possible to do them manually, if you can run regedit on your work PC. 

After the registry settings are there, it doesn't matter what drive the game is on.  I have my hard drive partitoned into several drives.  My AE development work is on M:.  I've had a copy of the original game there too, copied from another drive.  It works just fine.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3
RE: WITP Install on a USB Key - 12/15/2008 6:53:37 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The issue is that WitP requires a couple of settings in the Windows registry to work.  It is possible to do them manually, if you can run regedit on your work PC. 

After the registry settings are there, it doesn't matter what drive the game is on.  I have my hard drive partitoned into several drives.  My AE development work is on M:.  I've had a copy of the original game there too, copied from another drive.  It works just fine.

Bill

Well, that requires that
A) You know the settings you need to install
B) That the work computer can be modified (not locked down, or prohibited from being modified)
C) You are able to use REGEDIT, and are willing to mess around with your work computer.

The nice thing about MojoPac is that you can use it on ANY Windows computer (that has a USB port) and you don't need to mess around with things once it is installed on the USB device... i can run WITP on my work computer, my wife's laptop, the computer at a friend or relative's house, etc.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 12/16/2008 10:04:22 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
RE: WITP Install on a USB Key - MY PROBLEM SOLVED - 6/22/2009 9:20:06 AM   
john_smid

Hello,

I have WitP on my portable USB hard disc, and it works on some PCs, but it is slow (especially scrolling map). That is why I have copied WitP directly to C: disc too and I synchronize only changed files. But I met this problem:
I would like only copy my WitP to another computer, but it doesn´t work (Fatal Error 200).

This way I want to use again allready works in my home computer (XP Home) and laptop (XP Home), but at work (XP Prof., non-admin) it creates error, and my second laptop (again XP prof., but admin) has the same error too.
Is here something wrong with XP prof.? In this laptop, I did not install it, so there can be some mysteries about the instalation too.

Can anybody advice me?

Thank you,
Jan Smid

SOLUTION: I only exported & imported registry file from my comp, where was WitP installed to a next one, and it works.

< Message edited by john_smid -- 6/23/2009 3:24:52 PM >

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 5
RE: WITP Install on a USB Key - 6/3/2010 7:26:43 AM   
Rex2010

hi, it is antique thread, how are you guys now. i recently found one gem. essentially, it is a virtual operating sytem called Prayaya V3, you will need to install it to usb or drive, even host system is ok. it allows you to put nearly any apps on it. when you run app on it, it writes into v3's registry. i think it is really "secure" and "portable". anyone has comment?

(in reply to Sendai)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> WITP Install on a USB Key Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI