Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? (also some handy help running Illustrator on Vista!)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? (also some handy help running Illustrator on Vista!) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? (also s... - 12/15/2008 7:56:33 PM   
Ohio Jones

Just looking to slake my wargaming thirst and fill the time prior to the release of MWIF. I've got a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.5, and (God help me!) a partition running Windows Vista. The overwhelming majority of titles appear to be written for XP, except of course for even older titles that run in '95 or DOS... Like Steve, my preferences are for WWII, Napoleonic and Civil War, but I'm open to anything as long as the game experience is rich and challenging.

Any suggestions?

< Message edited by Ohio Jones -- 12/20/2008 8:56:38 AM >

"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." - Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? - 12/15/2008 9:52:54 PM   
wfzimmerman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ohio Jones

Just looking to slake my wargaming thirst and fill the time prior to the release of MWIF. I've got a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.5, and (God help me!) a partition running Windows Vista. The overwhelming majority of titles appear to be written for XP, except of course for even older titles that run in '95 or DOS... Like Steve, my preferences are for WWII, Napoleonic and Civil War, but I'm open to anything as long as the game experience is rich and challenging.

Any suggestions?

Hexwar.com has 39+ old SPI games on a beautiful interactive system.

(in reply to Ohio Jones)
Post #: 2
RE: OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? - 12/16/2008 2:49:04 AM   
brian brian

I run Vista on a Mac as well, for GIS applications, and QuickBooks is much better in the Windows environment. When I got a new Mac running 10.5, I couldn't use Virtual PC any longer, and as a result I had to purchase a new copy of Windows, since my XP license was part of VPC 6. I wasn't real thrilled about that, especially since I had to choose - XP or Vista. I figured if I had to spend the money, I might as well get Vista since it would be the OS of the future and I would just get it now rather than later. Now the rumours of the next Windows OS being on the way and the possibility that Vista becomes an orphan as a bigger share of users migrate from XP to the newer, post-Vista OS ... well that is extremely irritating. I haven't liked Microsoft since I started learning DOS 1.0 oh so very long ago.

Anyway, my impression is most wargames that run on XP should run fine on Vista? Are there really very many programs that you can't use with Vista? As far as games, I would think the ones on-the-bubble in this regard would be the heavy graphics processing 3D shooters?

Fortunately, CyberBoard runs perfect on Vista...kind of the same answer as wifzimmerman.

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 3
RE: OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? - 12/16/2008 4:46:21 AM   
Ohio Jones

Thanks to both of you - I'll have to do some poking around.

"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." - Churchill

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 4
RE: OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? - 12/17/2008 9:45:39 PM   
meisterchow

As a recent upgrader to Vista, I can report I've had little to no problems with older XP games under Vista. The only real problem I've had so far is that my copy of Adobe Illustrator 8 won't install on a 64-bit OS (My computer came with 6 GB of RAM, so it also came with 64-bit Vista). That really annoys me as I can't afford a current copy of whatever is out there and Illustrator 8 has been suitably filling my needs for quite some time now.

< Message edited by Charlie Lewis -- 12/17/2008 9:46:38 PM >

'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms Motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone

(in reply to Ohio Jones)
Post #: 5
RE: OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? - 12/18/2008 12:42:44 AM   
Ohio Jones

Good to know - cheers. And good luck with Illustrator - maybe the Adobe people have a suggestion?

(in reply to meisterchow)
Post #: 6
RE: OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? - 12/18/2008 5:14:25 AM   
Zorachus99

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charlie Lewis

As a recent upgrader to Vista, I can report I've had little to no problems with older XP games under Vista. The only real problem I've had so far is that my copy of Adobe Illustrator 8 won't install on a 64-bit OS (My computer came with 6 GB of RAM, so it also came with 64-bit Vista). That really annoys me as I can't afford a current copy of whatever is out there and Illustrator 8 has been suitably filling my needs for quite some time now.

Use Microsoft Virtual Server. Install 32-bit Vista or XP. Illustrator problem solved.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

Post #: 7
RE: OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? - 12/18/2008 2:30:33 PM   
meisterchow

I'll look into that.  Thanks for the tip. :)

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 8
RE: OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? - 12/19/2008 1:40:56 AM   
Zorachus99

Runs best when you have scads of Memory, but all the 2d methods seem to work.  Normal 3D functions like directx are not available, as none of the system hardware can actually be posessed by the client OS.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

Post #: 9
RE: OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? - 12/19/2008 3:57:39 PM   
meisterchow

I would hope 6 GB RAM would qualify as "scads"

Good point about the hardware issue, but I've never done 3d modeling with Illustrator anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue.  Thanks again for the tips.

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 10
RE: OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? - 12/21/2008 5:54:44 AM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: wfzimmerman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ohio Jones

Any suggestions?

Hexwar.com has 39+ old SPI games on a beautiful interactive system.

How increadably awesome! I'd like to quote your amazing find on the "complexity" thread for the salvation of a bunch of fellow gronards!
Thank you so much. Yet more proof that the universe is much too large after only a mere 20 billion years!

"One scoundrel is a disgrace, two is a law-firm, and three or more is a Congress." B. Franklin

Mike

A tribute to my heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRU2tlE5m8

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> OT - Any recommended wargames for Vista or Mac? (also some handy help running Illustrator on Vista!) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI