Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Matrix BG Napoleon Scenario Editor Workaround

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Matrix BG Napoleon Scenario Editor Workaround Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Matrix BG Napoleon Scenario Editor Workaround - 12/30/2008 7:35:35 PM   
simovitch

I picked up BG Napoleon over Xmas and I am enjoying this break from WW2 warfare very much. My interest was sparked by a (2nd) visit to Waterloo last October including a stroll along Wellington's line all the way to Hougoumont. I bought The Napoleonic Wars by David Gates at the battlefield gift shop for the plane ride home. I prefer the 3D enviornment over the 2D so I've been doing a bit of modding and fiddling about as well.

As many of you know the scenario editor is available for download at Napoleonic Archive. It is called nwedit.zip.

The notes at the bottom say "...the original (or backup copies of) Talonsoft game CD's are required to use the editor" but have no fear... I have discovered a workaround for us owners of only the Matrix version.

Basically, if you remove (or rename) the executable file in each of the 3 game folders (nir.exe, pte.exe, and bgw.exe) and then copy the editor files (nwedit.exe and nwedit.hlp) into each of these 3 game folders the editor will work! Of course, you don't want to mess with the game executables from these folders, so instead follow these instructions:

1. CREATE a new folder called "BGNapoleon Scenario Edits" or something like that.

2. COPY the 3 game folders into this new folder. The game folder includes the various module subfolders.

3. DELETE the executable files from in each of these new game folders (files called nir.exe, pte.exe, and bgw.exe). You can also delete the .dll, .oog and .avi files, since you really only need the .bmp files. Do not delete anything from the module subfolders.

4. COPY the scenario editor files (nwedit.exe and nwedit.hlp) into each of the 3 new scenario folders.

So, if you want to edit an existing or create a new scenario from "Napoleon in Russia" you need to run the editor from that scenario folder. You can't jump around to scenarios from different games, or even different modules within that game, you must exit the current editing session first.

When you are done editing you can move your new scenario over to the corresponding original module folder where the game executables are.

simovitch

Post #: 1
RE: Matrix BG Napoleon Scenario Editor Workaround - 12/31/2008 8:25:16 PM   
simovitch

Doh! I see Murat30 answered this over a year ago. Ah well...

quote:

greetings, a way to work the editors is to make a separate directory and place the editors files, then copy the module directory to edit on the editor directory, then copy from the game that have the module all files that are bitmaps and all the files with have extension x.bit, then you can start the editor and have to select the module or modules installed, note that you may need one editor directory for each game that you want to edit some module/scenario, it works for me, hope as well works for you,

best regards,

alarick.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 2
RE: Matrix BG Napoleon Scenario Editor Workaround - 10/5/2009 8:32:14 AM   
wiz_of_oz2006

I'm interested in using the Napoleonic scenario editor and I tried this setup but I keep getting "error reading file" messages when I open up the scenarios to edit with it. It' is the same with Prelude to Waterloo, Waterloo, or Napoleon in Russia. I followed your setup and used your editor, is there something else that I'm missing?

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 3
RE: Matrix BG Napoleon Scenario Editor Workaround - 10/7/2009 12:55:37 PM   
simovitch

Instead of the elaborate process above, try this for Waterloo, as an example.

1. copy the nwedit.exe into your Waterloo folder.
2. rename bgw.exe to bgwxx.exe

double click nwedit.exe and it should work as long as nwedit can't find the name of the executable program.

Rename bgwxx.exe back to bgw.exe when you are ready to play the game.

simovitch

(in reply to wiz_of_oz2006)
Post #: 4
RE: Matrix BG Napoleon Scenario Editor Workaround - 10/7/2009 3:03:12 PM   
wiz_of_oz2006

I gave it another shot with renaming the .exe file for each game. It does seem to work for Waterloo but NIR still gives me "error reading file" messages and PTW gives me a message of "duplicate unit" and places a Marshall Ney icon out for every French unit in the scenario. After the error messages you can work with the scenario editor but without the initial setup, scenario info, etc. I had the old Talonsoft games long ago and worked with the scenario editor there. Unfortunately, I gave them up awhile back and now I'm running the Matrix version. Thanks for all the help simovitch, any other ideas (other than picking up the old Talonsoft versions)?

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Matrix BG Napoleon Scenario Editor Workaround Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI